2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M

I'm having problems with my MP11. I received it exactly 6 months ago from Germany (I live in Israel), and all was working fine except for some scratches that I noticed on the LCD screen (which is weird since the package came sealed...).

After using only the default settings I started messing around with the options on the edit menu to alter the sound. I ended up changing the default setting for the Concert piano number 3 (Mellow grand) in the piano section (using STORE SOUND function as in page 59 in the manual).
I noticed that every once in a while, when I changed the sound to my new setting (I pressed the "3" button in the CONCERT piano section) the MP11 would freeze and stop responding. No matter what key/button/knob I pressed, it would do/play nothing. Only a power off / power on would solve the issue.
While I wanted to post it earlier here on the forum, it took me some time since although it's annoying, I could live with it for a while (just restart the piano and I'm back playing).

Today, it got even worse!
I changed the instrument to concert piano number 3, and the piano freezed (as usual). I powered off, then powered on, then the piano starts and suddenly the screen colors are inverted! (black text on top of white background!), and nothing plays!! (the buttons respond, but no sound!)
so I press panic, and then the MP11 responds to the keyboard and plays, but (all) the sounds are REALLY weird and not the true sounds (I know them all too well by now after half a year of playing).
In addition, the sustain pedal doesn't do anything (the sostenuto and una-corda pedals work fine). I didn't alter the function of any pedal, so everything there is factory-settings.

Long story short, something is deeply wrong here, and I don't have warranty here since I had to import it myself from Germany.

I have firmware 1.12, and there are no connector problems since 2 minutes earlier everything played beautifuly!
I also take a very good care of the instrument (partly because I don't have warranty here), and it stays home covered and protected, without moving at all.

Any advice would be highly appreciated, since currently I can't really play anything.

I attach the (previously backed-up) sound settings of the instrument I created (if it works for you, I recommend it! I really love that sound) and also a short video of the current situation of the piano. Notice
how the colors in the LCD display flip after the power on! also notice the sustain pedal not working. It's hard to tell the weird sound because it's played through headphones.

The sound file:
http://www.filedropper.com/mellowgrand-soft

The video:
https://vid.me/e/zExE?stats=1

Thanks a lot for your help!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Maybe try factory reset below first. However, You really should contact Kawai for support.

[Linked Image]

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Apologies for being so unhelpful, but you left the screen protector on the display, that's why there appears to be scratches. I agree, try factory reset, after that it's Kawai support.

J
J
I freaked out a bit too when I got my MP7 last year, as I thought the screen was heavily scratched, but fortunately it was just the protective film that was scratched. When I enquired about this with Kawai, it was considered quite normal that the protective film would be scratched, and even possibly be like that before it was placed into the instrument during assembly, and thus the protective film serves a useful purpose.

Unfortunately your other issues sound scary, especially if you have no warranty access. Didn't the shop in Germany provide any warranty of its own? We enjoy a generous warranty period here in Australia, but if the instrument is sold to someone else before the warranty expires, it is apparently not transferable. Fortunately I like my MP7 so much that I have no intention of selling it.

I'd be trying the factory reset as others have suggested, but if this still doesn't fix your problem, it really is going to be something that an authorised Kawai repair technician should probably assess. Is your MP11 receiving a steady properly earthed power voltage from your powerpoint? MP11's are lovely instruments and not cheap, so you really need to get this sorted out once and for all. All the best.

1993 Roland JV1000 76 note workstation synth with Pop and VE-GS1 expansion boards ] 1994 Roland JV1080 Multi-timbral sound module ] 1994 Roland KR4500 Intelligent Piano ] 2008 Korg MicroX sound module ] 2015 Kawai MP7 Digital Stage Piano
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
After a Factory Reset, I would contact your dealer in Germany and discuss it with him. Normally they are helpful.
Even if you have to send it to Germany, you can include a repair statement for customs, so you would not have to pay customs twice. That should also be valid for an exchange instrument.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello mezzpiano,

I'm sorry to read that you are experiencing difficulties with your MP11.

My advice would be to try reloading the latest v1.13 firmware (available from this page), then performing a Factory Reset via the SYSTEM menu. If this does not resolve the issue, please let me know and I shall provide some additional suggestions.

Regarding the scratches on the LCD screen, as others have noted, there should be a thin protective film that peels away from the screen, revealing a clean, unstratched display.

By the way, the 'Mellow Grand-Soft.km3' file that you uploaded appears to be empty (0 kilobytes).

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you everyone for your cool answers!

About the scratches thing - my bad! it was indeed the screen protector... (I actually thought it should be it but saw no way to remove it). So now the screen is fresh and clean! many thanks smile

James, thank you for your help. I installed firmware version 1.13 and did a factory reset. Everything worked great (even without the factory reset). I then tried to reload the sound file (attached again, this time correctly I hope) to the mellow grand, and guess what, it's stuck again frown

So at least now I can play (I'll do another reset) and we know that the file is causing the problem. I attach another video which shows the piano freezes (nothing works, even panic and power off do nothing!).

Can you tell me if there is something wrong with the sound file? I created it just as the manual describes...

The sound settings file:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=71709366941269443109

The video (filmed using version 1.13 after factory reset and loading the sound from USB)
https://vid.me/NPek

Many thanks!

Hello mezzopiano,

Thank you for the update. I'm glad to read that removing the screen protector reveal a fresh, clean display, and that reloading the firmware seems to have resolved the problem.

The issue may well be related to the settings file that you have prepared.

We will need to check the file to see what's going wrong. Please wait a day or so for us to investigate.

Kind regards,
James
x

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mezzopiano
I then tried to reload the sound file (attached again, this time correctly I hope) to the mellow grand, and guess what, it's stuck again frown

Ha! You managed to create a "virus" for your own piano! laugh wow
Glad to hear it's working again!

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by JoBert

Totally! grin
Now I only need to blackmail myself - either myself pays me or I put the virus again! wait... confused

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by mezzopiano
Originally Posted by JoBert

Totally! grin
Now I only need to blackmail myself - either myself pays me or I put the virus again! wait... confused

Start earning some Bitcoins just in case wink

After exchanging messages with mezzopiano, including some very thorough testing with the OP, I'm glad to write that our MP11 development team were eventually able to reproduce this behaviour after loading the customer sound setting.

For those interested, the bug occurs under the following conditions:

occur under the following conditions:

- The Modulation Wheel and the Damper pedal are both assigned the same Damper function to one stored SOUND.

*and*

- While playing with the Damper pedal, that SOUND is selected.

This is something of a rare combination (it's not common for the 'Damper' function to be assigned to both the modulation wheel and the damper pedal simultaneously), but as mezzopiano has proved, it's not impossible.

After reproducing and isolating the bug, the MP team prepared a beta firmware which resolves this issue. A full release version for both the MP11 and MP7 is scheduled for later this month.

The MP team and I would like to thank mezzopiano for his clear bug report, video, and thorough testing. All of which allowed the issue to be identified, reproduced, and fixed efficiently.

Kind regards,
James
x

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Wow. I would never expect that kind of individual response even from dedicated tech/software companies. Way to look after your customers, Kawai!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Wow. I would never expect that kind of individual response even from dedicated tech/software companies. Way to look after your customers, Kawai!

Couldn't agree more. Truly exceptional service and dedication for customer satisfaction. Well done Kawai! Proud to own your product.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
+1 !

M
OP Offline
M
James, as I told you earlier, you really came to help and you did it great! Kawai's reputation for customer satisfaction undoubtedly makes the difference and leaves very happy customers even after they buy the instrument and face issues.

Knowing this, even though my country is far away and I don't have local support, I feel that I have the support of Kawai and that I'm not alone if I face possible future issues.

Also thank the team on my behalf, for the lightning fast responsiveness and true help and support.

Thanks a lot!

wink

A quick thread bump to highlight the fact that this rare bug was fixed with the v1.14 update.

Thanks again to mezzopiano for clearly reporting this issue!

Cheers,
James
x

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission