2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2383895 02/08/15 06:34 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello! I'm here because a friend is trying to get a celesta. I tried to do some research to help him to no avail so I was wondering if you lovely people could help. The one website I did find that was selling them was very expensive (Yamaha for $30k). Is there any way to get a cheaper one?

A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
As far a I know, most celestes are in that price range. I did a symphony gig awhile back and had to play Celeste on a couple of pieces and the conductor schooled me on the instrument and I remember being shocked when he told me that the average price for 'professional grade' celestes was between $25-40k.
Someone else who knows more may chime in here.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
AJF #2383901 02/08/15 06:49 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by AJF
As far a I know, most celestes are in that price range. I did a symphony gig awhile back and had to play Celeste on a couple of pieces and the conductor schooled me on the instrument and I remember being shocked when he told me that the average price for 'professional grade' celestes was between $25-40k.
Someone else who knows more may chime in here.
dang. I guess I shouldn't be surprised based off what I saw. There is a YouTube video about building one, maybe that's an option :P

edit: The main reason he wants a Celesta is for the music box like sound. Are there any other pianos that produce this effect?

Last edited by mysticalsoap; 02/08/15 06:55 PM.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
There are probably digital instruments that have celeste voices.

Semipro Tech
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If your budget is limited, a digital simulation is probably the right way to go. They're pretty hard to find used in good shape.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
If your budget is limited, a digital simulation is probably the right way to go. They're pretty hard to find used in good shape.
Do you have any suggestions?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There is a Roland C-30 digital harpsichord that is intended for choirs and orchestras that need high quality harpsichord, continuo organ, fortepiano, and celesta sounds with various temperment options. I think this is about 5K, and available through Rodgers Organ dealers.

http://youtu.be/zZSlHVifRps

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Go to a store that carries a range of digital pianos and tell them what you are looking for. I'm sure there will be at least have a dozen that contain a celeste tone that you can try out.

M
OP Offline
M
thanks a lot for the help guys!

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yeah, the celesta is an instrument that I would only purchase if I was on the board of a symphony orchestra and we needed to buy one. For practising celesta parts - they can all be practised on the piano. If he just wants that kind of sound, well, the digital replications are so good now, it isn't nearly as complicated as the piano's sound.

YAMAHA Artist
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
for digital, the C-30 is the way to go. They actually sound damn good and contain a lot of useful sounds for players of early music like baroque organ, multiple harpsichords, IRC an early pianoforte sound, the celeste. The action replicates the "pluck" feeing of the harpsichord and you can explore the novel concept of harpsichord that is touch responsive in volume.

Bill Lazar sells them the SF Bay area. He's a very straight ahead guy and won't BS you in order to make a sale.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by mysticalsoap
Hello! I'm here because a friend is trying to get a celesta. I tried to do some research to help him to no avail so I was wondering if you lovely people could help. The one website I did find that was selling them was very expensive (Yamaha for $30k). Is there any way to get a cheaper one?

Maybe not, but Schiedmayer make a slightly more expensive one.

When I was looking for a piano used Schiedmayer Celesta came up from time to time at apparently reasonable prices. I have no idea how much servicing or rebuilding one might need but perhaps someone could chime in on that.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
N
N
if its just for the fun of having an acoustic keyboard instrument with a music box sound, keep an eye out for a dulcitone (depending where you are in the world) I got mine for about £50 10 years ago, and have seen them around a couple of other times for similar prices because the condition is always dodgy. Different sound to a celesta but still a funny instrument.

G
G
I just stumbled onto this conversation and wondered if you were still looking for a celesta. I have one that I will be selling after I make some improvements and adjustments. It is brand named Helmes, NY and probably made by Jenco or Simone, I am in the process of researching that through a few experts. I have only seen one other Helmes celesta since I bought mine in 1983, that was in a photo of the old RCA Studio B in Nashville (or Memphis, can't remember), so I'm sure it's pretty rare. Here are two photos of mine http://gregfielduniverse.com/photos/Helmes1.JPG http://gregfielduniverse.com/photos/Helmes2.JPG

you can contact me directly at gregfield@gregfield.com

K
K
I have a Celesta Piano from 1947 that I believe to be a Simone, it is not marked I am looking for more information and am also selling it. Not sure how to add a picture on this site

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Greg.field13
The pictures you posted look exactly like a Jenco Celeste. I rebuilt one for the local school district that the orchestra uses. It took some upgrading to get things quieter in the action and pedal. Some elements of the Jenco design I preferred to the Schiedmayers I have worked on.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission