2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I just came across this video and was amazed by the gorgeous, creamy tone of the Hamburg D.

Obviously you should watch the whole video if you have time, but please at least check out the section starting at 3:45 with this link: https://youtu.be/SlTTgJau33Q?t=3m45s

Granted, Ms. Buniatishvili has an exquisite touch, but oh my, listen to the pp in the high register. So rich and full yet so soft at the same time.

Would you say that this is an outlier, or just an "ordinarily" well-prepared piano? I have extensive experience with NY D's but don't remember any of the ones I have played sounding like this. Maybe my conservatory just had incompetent techs, or that the instruments weren't kept very well.

I welcome your thoughts.

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Lovely performance and piano. But I don't know if a NY Steinway would sound any different in the same music.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
It is very beautiful.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
https://soundcloud.com/user1292364/9-track-09
Here is one that I take care of.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
D
D
This is a beautiful performance. Thanks for sharing.

Despite growing up in Asia, being an amateur myself I had no real experience ever playing on a Hamburg D. Many recordings I listened to back then were made by European labels (Decca, DG) for Europe-based Steinway Artists (Ashkenazy, Argerich, etc.) so I assumed those were done using Hamburg Steinways. While those artists' performances were truly inspiring to me, I always found the sound more metallic than, say, recordings from Horowitz or Van Cliburn. If there is such thing of my "overall" preference when it comes to Steinway, I may actually like the less metallic sound from New York make, despite I still mentally drooled over the reputedly higher finish/prep quality from the Hamburg factory.

With that said, the tonal quality of the piano used in this recording was simply amazing. A good friend of mine recently performed on a Hamburg D in his inaugural lecture-recital as an endowed professor at U. Tenn. and the timbre of that instrument was also as spectacular.

A few days ago I popped into our local Steinway showroom (too close to my home not to bug them once in a while). I tried the 5 B's they had, and while they were all different I didn't find any of them necessarily superior (a very subjective adjective) to the Model A we have at home. This showroom, except for their C&A section, typically does not stock new Ds on the showroom floor. On that day, however, they had one fairly new (SN: 601xxx) polished ebony model D there, NY-made of course. The owner of the store asked me to try it--my techniques were way out of shape right now, but that D was a totally different beast from all others there. Not because it was bigger and more powerful, as I was only playing some soft pieces, it just was so different that now I am entertaining the idea of seriously compromising the free space in our living room where our pianos sit.

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by S. Phillips
https://soundcloud.com/user1292364/9-track-09
Here is one that I take care of.

That's beautiful - it just goes to show why so many concert artists prefer this model in this repertoire. The lines just sing for days...

The bass growl is beautiful too, in its own way.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Almaviva
Lovely performance and piano. But I don't know if a NY Steinway would sound any different in the same music.

Actually I firmly believe the Hamburg, Germany produced Steinways are better than the New York models. To each their own...

Steve
Bösendorfer 170

Bösendorfer 170
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Steve,

I'm not saying I disagree with you or not, but how many new NY Steinways and new Hamburg Steinways have you played? What sort of repertoire do you play?

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
It really really depends. I've heard and played many beautiful ones but yesterday, watching a Proms video with Lang Lang, I really noted how poorly that particular Hamburg D sounded.

Extremely metallic and thin, not warm and rich at all. I suppose maybe they needed the brightness for projection reasons but still.... I've started it right before Rach's Prelude in G minor, I think it sounded particularly harsh for that prelude. This is the video:

https://youtu.be/CfC1bzr5Ezc?t=28m5s

I've also played some really nice NY Steinways too, there's one at the conservatory stage nearby where I've had a chance to perform and have masterclasses on.

Generally I do prefer Hamburgs for touch and tone, but I think a good NY piano can also be super nice.

Last edited by Michiyo-Fir; 10/05/16 04:24 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Davdoc
This is a beautiful performance. Thanks for sharing.

Despite growing up in Asia, being an amateur myself I had no real experience ever playing on a Hamburg D. Many recordings I listened to back then were made by European labels (Decca, DG) for Europe-based Steinway Artists (Ashkenazy, Argerich, etc.) so I assumed those were done using Hamburg Steinways. While those artists' performances were truly inspiring to me, I always found the sound more metallic than, say, recordings from Horowitz or Van Cliburn. If there is such thing of my "overall" preference when it comes to Steinway, I may actually like the less metallic sound from New York make, despite I still mentally drooled over the reputedly higher finish/prep quality from the Hamburg factory.

With that said, the tonal quality of the piano used in this recording was simply amazing. A good friend of mine recently performed on a Hamburg D in his inaugural lecture-recital as an endowed professor at U. Tenn. and the timbre of that instrument was also as spectacular.

A few days ago I popped into our local Steinway showroom (too close to my home not to bug them once in a while). I tried the 5 B's they had, and while they were all different I didn't find any of them necessarily superior (a very subjective adjective) to the Model A we have at home. This showroom, except for their C&A section, typically does not stock new Ds on the showroom floor. On that day, however, they had one fairly new (SN: 601xxx) polished ebony model D there, NY-made of course. The owner of the store asked me to try it--my techniques were way out of shape right now, but that D was a totally different beast from all others there. Not because it was bigger and more powerful, as I was only playing some soft pieces, it just was so different that now I am entertaining the idea of seriously compromising the free space in our living room where our pianos sit.

Great story - thanks for sharing! From your experience is there a big difference between the A, B and D?

I think the bass of the B is still quite a distance from that of the D. The NY ones I have played were very "growly" and fuzzy. At my conservatory we had 2 B's in each professor's studios, as well as two D's in the recital hall. One of them is by general consensus clearly superior to the other, both in terms of touch and tone.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir
Extremely metallic and thin, not warm and rich at all. I suppose maybe they needed the brightness for projection reasons but still.... I've started it right before Rach's Prelude in G minor, I think it sounded particularly harsh for that prelude. This is the video:

https://youtu.be/CfC1bzr5Ezc?t=28m5s

The applause that comes before the prelude is also extremely thin and harsh, in my ears. It's possible that this is just a case of bad YouTube sound quality and not how the piano actually sounds.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I think in order to really get a good view of the differences in the NY and Hamburg pianos it helps to have a little background about where each factory is coming from in tone. Here is an excerpt from an article that I wrote last year:

Ultimately, and on many levels, the subject of piano tone defies verbal description. In September, pianist and organist Danny Uhl, and I, visited Steinway’s New York factory to choose a Steinway D (9') concert grand for his home. His ultimate choice had a penetrating sound. Each note filled the air with a rich, ethereal quality, like a lavender infusion—or so we felt at the time. As a technician, I spend almost every day trying to translate such descriptions into mechanically useful terms.

German immigrant Henry Engelhard Steinway founded Steinway and Sons in New York City in 1853. In 1880, one of Henry Engelhard’s sons, C.F. Theodore Steinway, returned to Germany to open the Steinway factory in Hamburg. Today, the Hamburg factory is still owned by the New York–based American firm.

I am frequently asked to explain the differences between New York and Hamburg Steinways. There is no single, simple answer. There are 12,000 parts in a piano, and each has a small effect on the sound. No two pianos are identical in tone and touch—which is why the famous Steinway Concert and Artist bank of grands, in New York City, contains over 20 pianos waiting to be selected by pianists of all musical genres.

The historical differences between the pianos made at the two factories are much more striking than the current differences. While the instruments from both factories were initially designed to feel and sound the same, the results were often dissimilar, due to many factors: the distance between the factories, differing availabilities of materials, two world wars, and the manufacturing traditions and tonal aesthetics of two different cultures. Gradually, the Hamburg pianos acquired a slightly different tone and touch from their New York cousins. The greatest divergence of sound between instruments made by the two factories occurred in the late 1970s and the 1980s.

Complicating matters is that a pianist’s perception of an instrument’s tone quality often depends on its condition. As a result, pianists’ impressions of New York and Hamburg Steinways vary dramatically, depending on the pianos’ age and condition. When a fine piano suffers in tone, leaving it open to complaint, this is far more likely to be the result of a lack of technical attention than of any failure on the part of the manufacturer. When a fine piano is lauded as fabulous, it has usually been tuned and voiced quite recently.

In 1984, Steinway began a project to consolidate and standardize the manufacturing processes at the New York and Hamburg factories that is now virtually complete. The challenge has been to make small, incremental changes that do not affect the quality of the pianos made at either factory, taking the best of each tradition and combining them into a single consistent process.

Several months ago, a young pianist played a recital in Carnegie Hall’s Weill Recital Hall. She was intimately familiar with Hamburg Steinways—her family owns a Hamburg Steinway B (6' 11"), and she graduated from a university where she often played a Hamburg. After the concert, she enthusiastically told me about the gorgeous Hamburg Steinway D (8' 11") she’d played. It was a gorgeous instrument—but it was a New York Steinway. This confirmed for me what pianists are now experiencing among Steinways: the differences in culture between the two factories have been blurred—for the better.

Tonal aesthetics are much like the opinions of epicures. In the early days of New York Steinway, as American concert venues grew in size, the tonal goal became the “big orchestra piano,” with the focus on Steinway’s famous bell-like tone and huge projection—while the Hamburg pianos, which were still being played in mostly smaller, more acoustically favorable halls, concentrated on a pristine clarity with a variety of tonal elements.

The New York pianos were designed for evenness of timbre, carefully matched from bass to treble, for a huge sound that would cut through a 100-piece orchestra, to meet the challenge of filling a 3,000-seat auditorium. To achieve their bell like tone, the New York pianos were fitted with softer, more flexible, more resilient hammers for a stronger fundamental from the strings. By the late 19th century, New York Steinways were being shipped far and wide, their big sound coming more from the soundboard and rim. The Steinway hammers needed very little hardening, brightening up on their own through playing. As a result, by 1895, the sweet, clear sound of early New York Steinways was more easily maintained if the pianos were shipped from New York to, say, San Francisco with softer hammers.

Meanwhile, the Hamburg Steinways pianos were clinging to the concept of the piano being its own orchestra, with the expectation of gradually changing tonal color seamlessly moving across the keyboard with a clean crisp, clarity, distinctive in timbre several octaves apart. By the early 1950s, when piano manufacturing was returning to normal after World War II, the gulf between the tonal palettes of Hamburg and New York was widening. It is important to note that this difference was not just a difference between New York and Hamburg Steinways. This was a difference between the American sound and the European sound.

That gulf is audible in a 1949 recording of Vladimir Horowitz playing Tchaikovsky’s 1st piano concerto on a New York Steinway at the Hollywood Bowl. He artfully pushes the piano to its tonal and physical limits. Compare this with Chopin’s Sonata No. 2 on a Hamburg Steinway in 1961 by Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, who is absorbed in the minutiae of highlighting and contrasting each beautiful voice and line. The differences in the two pianists’ approaches not withstanding, the synergy between pianist and piano maker that has existed since Mozart and Johann Andreas Stein, that has shaped the direction of piano tone throughout the history of the piano, still continues today. Piano makers try to please pianists, but pianists also adapt and create within the scope of the sounds they are presented with by the piano.

The main historical differences in the sounds of New York and Hamburg Steinways were in the hammers and the approach to voicing. The New York hammer traditionally started out softer, but its sound was made brighter with the judicious use of a lacquer solution and heavy initial use. Repeated blows of hammer on string harden the hammer’s surface, gradually brightening the sound until it settles into the ideal tone. The advantage of beginning with a slightly softer hammer is that, when its tone stabilizes, it then requires much less voicing work than its denser, harder German counterpart, and can still be voiced down to a very mellow tone if desired.

The late 19th century Hamburg hammer started out the same consistency as the original New York hammer but became for many years after WWII a denser, harder hammer that was initially very bright but voiced by needling it to soften it down to the lush focused tone, - a completely opposite approach from New York.

In the last several years, with the standardization of manufacturing protocols, the New York hammers have been made of firmer, more elastic felt, and the Hamburg factory has been using hammers that are slightly softer. Now, the difference in hammer hardness between new instruments from the New York and Hamburg factories is negligible.

The voicers in New York and Hamburg still use different techniques, however, which result in slightly different sounds. In general, I find the New York hammers very malleable in tone. The Hamburg hammers have a classically clean European quality with a focused tonal target, meaning that there is a sweet spot where they sound the best, while the New York hammers still produce the great wash of sound that American pianists expect from New York Steinways. Many people remark that all New York Steinways sound different from each other. I think it is the malleability of their hammers that results in those differences. This latitude in voicing is also what makes the New York instruments so adaptable for concert use: broad changes can be made to accommodate the artist, the venue, and the repertoire.

Steinway’s specifications for the keys and actions of its New York and Hamburg instruments have also been standardized: the dimensions are now virtually the same, with only very small differences—so small that the action parts are interchangeable. Both factories now use the same keys, made at Kluge Klaviaturen a German company owned by Steinway. The New York factory makes maple actions that are especially stable for institutional situations with constantly changing temperature and humidity, such as the dreaded outdoor summer venue. The Hamburgs use action parts of hornbeam, the traditional German material, with slightly tighter tolerances that work very well in more controlled climates.

Both the New York and Hamburg actions have gotten much lighter over the last 10 years, due to some ingenious small changes in the action geometry and reductions in friction between parts. The really good news is that all of the new parts also fit older Steinways. If you have an old Steinway with a heavy action, the new parts can be an easy solution to the problem.

Although some of the recent changes appear on the surface to be simply cosmetic, I believe that they, too, can be more reasons the New York and Hamburg sounds have merged. Both New York and Hamburg now use a finish of highly polished polyester, although the old-style satin lacquer is still available from New York. Comparing higher-polish and satin-lacquer pianos, I do hear some additional boost in upper harmonics as it reflects off the harder polished finish, especially from the underside of the lid, which makes the sound a bit brighter. In addition, both the New York and Hamburg concert grands now have the larger brass German casters, which means these pianos can be moved without having to put them on a spider dolly. Rubber casters absorb sound; the brass concert casters make the sound more immediate.

In the past, the rim (casing) materials were a bit different. Hamburg used beech and mahogany, but has switched to the material used in New York: a hard-rock maple rim with a layer of mahogany between the inner and outer rims, which to my ear has improved the projection of sound. The cast-iron plates of all New York and Hamburg pianos are made in Steinway’s own facility in Springfield, Ohio. The scale designs and soundboards, species, country of origin, and supplier are the same.

Last edited by S. Phillips; 10/05/16 07:18 PM.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
S
OP Offline
S
I think in order to really get a good view of the differences in the NY and Hamburg pianos it helps to have a little background about where each factory is coming from in tone. Here is an excerpt from an article that I wrote last year:

Ultimately, and on many levels, the subject of piano tone defies verbal description. In September, pianist and organist Danny Uhl, and I, visited Steinway’s New York factory to choose a Steinway D (9') concert grand for his home. His ultimate choice had a penetrating sound. Each note filled the air with a rich, ethereal quality, like a lavender infusion—or so we felt at the time. As a technician, I spend almost every day trying to translate such descriptions into mechanically useful terms.

German immigrant Henry Engelhard Steinway founded Steinway and Sons in New York City in 1853. In 1880, one of Henry Engelhard’s sons, C.F. Theodore Steinway, returned to Germany to open the Steinway factory in Hamburg. Today, the Hamburg factory is still owned by the New York–based American firm.

I am frequently asked to explain the differences between New York and Hamburg Steinways. There is no single, simple answer. There are 12,000 parts in a piano, and each has a small effect on the sound. No two pianos are identical in tone and touch—which is why the famous Steinway Concert and Artist bank of grands, in New York City, contains over 20 pianos waiting to be selected by pianists of all musical genres.

The historical differences between the pianos made at the two factories are much more striking than the current differences. While the instruments from both factories were initially designed to feel and sound the same, the results were often dissimilar, due to many factors: the distance between the factories, differing availabilities of materials, two world wars, and the manufacturing traditions and tonal aesthetics of two different cultures. Gradually, the Hamburg pianos acquired a slightly different tone and touch from their New York cousins. The greatest divergence of sound between instruments made by the two factories occurred in the late 1970s and the 1980s.

Complicating matters is that a pianist’s perception of an instrument’s tone quality often depends on its condition. As a result, pianists’ impressions of New York and Hamburg Steinways vary dramatically, depending on the pianos’ age and condition. When a fine piano suffers in tone, leaving it open to complaint, this is far more likely to be the result of a lack of technical attention than of any failure on the part of the manufacturer. When a fine piano is lauded as fabulous, it has usually been tuned and voiced quite recently.

In 1984, Steinway began a project to consolidate and standardize the manufacturing processes at the New York and Hamburg factories that is now virtually complete. The challenge has been to make small, incremental changes that do not affect the quality of the pianos made at either factory, taking the best of each tradition and combining them into a single consistent process.

Several months ago, a young pianist played a recital in Carnegie Hall’s Weill Recital Hall. She was intimately familiar with Hamburg Steinways—her family owns a Hamburg Steinway B (6' 11"), and she graduated from a university where she often played a Hamburg. After the concert, she enthusiastically told me about the gorgeous Hamburg Steinway D (8' 11") she’d played. It was a gorgeous instrument—but it was a New York Steinway. This confirmed for me what pianists are now experiencing among Steinways: the differences in culture between the two factories have been blurred—for the better.

Tonal aesthetics are much like the opinions of epicures. In the early days of New York Steinway, as American concert venues grew in size, the tonal goal became the “big orchestra piano,” with the focus on Steinway’s famous bell-like tone and huge projection—while the Hamburg pianos, which were still being played in mostly smaller, more acoustically favorable halls, concentrated on a pristine clarity with a variety of tonal elements.

The New York pianos were designed for evenness of timbre, carefully matched from bass to treble, for a huge sound that would cut through a 100-piece orchestra, to meet the challenge of filling a 3,000-seat auditorium. To achieve their bell like tone, the New York pianos were fitted with softer, more flexible, more resilient hammers for a stronger fundamental from the strings. By the late 19th century, New York Steinways were being shipped far and wide, their big sound coming more from the soundboard and rim. The Steinway hammers needed very little hardening, brightening up on their own through playing. As a result, by 1895, the sweet, clear sound of early New York Steinways was more easily maintained if the pianos were shipped from New York to, say, San Francisco with softer hammers.

Meanwhile, the Hamburg Steinways pianos were clinging to the concept of the piano being its own orchestra, with the expectation of gradually changing tonal color seamlessly moving across the keyboard with a clean crisp, clarity, distinctive in timbre several octaves apart. By the early 1950s, when piano manufacturing was returning to normal after World War II, the gulf between the tonal palettes of Hamburg and New York was widening. It is important to note that this difference was not just a difference between New York and Hamburg Steinways. This was a difference between the American sound and the European sound.

That gulf is audible in a 1949 recording of Vladimir Horowitz playing Tchaikovsky’s 1st piano concerto on a New York Steinway at the Hollywood Bowl. He artfully pushes the piano to its tonal and physical limits. Compare this with Chopin’s Sonata No. 2 on a Hamburg Steinway in 1961 by Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, who is absorbed in the minutiae of highlighting and contrasting each beautiful voice and line. The differences in the two pianists’ approaches not withstanding, the synergy between pianist and piano maker that has existed since Mozart and Johann Andreas Stein, that has shaped the direction of piano tone throughout the history of the piano, still continues today. Piano makers try to please pianists, but pianists also adapt and create within the scope of the sounds they are presented with by the piano.

The main historical differences in the sounds of New York and Hamburg Steinways were in the hammers and the approach to voicing. The New York hammer traditionally started out softer, but its sound was made brighter with the judicious use of a lacquer solution and heavy initial use. Repeated blows of hammer on string harden the hammer’s surface, gradually brightening the sound until it settles into the ideal tone. The advantage of beginning with a slightly softer hammer is that, when its tone stabilizes, it then requires much less voicing work than its denser, harder German counterpart, and can still be voiced down to a very mellow tone if desired.

The late 19th century Hamburg hammer started out the same consistency as the original New York hammer but became for many years after WWII a denser, harder hammer that was initially very bright but voiced by needling it to soften it down to the lush focused tone, - a completely opposite approach from New York.

In the last several years, with the standardization of manufacturing protocols, the New York hammers have been made of firmer, more elastic felt, and the Hamburg factory has been using hammers that are slightly softer. Now, the difference in hammer hardness between new instruments from the New York and Hamburg factories is negligible.

The voicers in New York and Hamburg still use different techniques, however, which result in slightly different sounds. In general, I find the New York hammers very malleable in tone. The Hamburg hammers have a classically clean European quality with a focused tonal target, meaning that there is a sweet spot where they sound the best, while the New York hammers still produce the great wash of sound that American pianists expect from New York Steinways. Many people remark that all New York Steinways sound different from each other. I think it is the malleability of their hammers that results in those differences. This latitude in voicing is also what makes the New York instruments so adaptable for concert use: broad changes can be made to accommodate the artist, the venue, and the repertoire.

Steinway’s specifications for the keys and actions of its New York and Hamburg instruments have also been standardized: the dimensions are now virtually the same, with only very small differences—so small that the action parts are interchangeable. Both factories now use the same keys, made at Kluge Klaviaturen a German company owned by Steinway. The New York factory makes maple actions that are especially stable for institutional situations with constantly changing temperature and humidity, such as the dreaded outdoor summer venue. The Hamburgs use action parts of hornbeam, the traditional German material, with slightly tighter tolerances that work very well in more controlled climates.

Both the New York and Hamburg actions have gotten much lighter over the last 10 years, due to some ingenious small changes in the action geometry and reductions in friction between parts. The really good news is that all of the new parts also fit older Steinways. If you have an old Steinway with a heavy action, the new parts can be an easy solution to the problem.

Although some of the recent changes appear on the surface to be simply cosmetic, I believe that they, too, can be more reasons the New York and Hamburg sounds have merged. Both New York and Hamburg now use a finish of highly polished polyester, although the old-style satin lacquer is still available from New York. Comparing higher-polish and satin-lacquer pianos, I do hear some additional boost in upper harmonics as it reflects off the harder polished finish, especially from the underside of the lid, which makes the sound a bit brighter. In addition, both the New York and Hamburg concert grands now have the larger brass German casters, which means these pianos can be moved without having to put them on a spider dolly. Rubber casters absorb sound; the brass concert casters make the sound more immediate.

In the past, the rim (casing) materials were a bit different. Hamburg used beech and mahogany, but has switched to the material used in New York: a hard-rock maple rim with a layer of mahogany between the inner and outer rims, which to my ear has improved the projection of sound. The cast-iron plates of all New York and Hamburg pianos are made in Steinway’s own facility in Springfield, Ohio. The scale designs and soundboards, species, country of origin, and supplier are the same.

I nominate this as the post of the month.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
S. Phillips, Thank you for the vast amount of information, it was an absolutely enlightening read.

I had heard from some local Steinway reps about the consolidating of the two pianos, but questioned him since I was told and emphasized on the differences between them in London just earlier in the year.

I'm still thinking I'm likely to purchase one in the next 5 years or so but still haven't decided which NY or Hamburg. Of course NY would be the much simpler option since I'm located in North America. You've given me a lot to think about, thank you for that.

D
D
Originally Posted by Spaetensonaten

Great story - thanks for sharing! From your experience is there a big difference between the A, B and D?

I think the bass of the B is still quite a distance from that of the D. The NY ones I have played were very "growly" and fuzzy. At my conservatory we had 2 B's in each professor's studios, as well as two D's in the recital hall. One of them is by general consensus clearly superior to the other, both in terms of touch and tone.

My experience has been certainly very limited and quite subject to the local dealer's inventory change. In the showroom I visited several times, they seem to keep way more B's than other models.

One of the reasons I chose Model A last year was exactly because, to my ears, Model B's did not sound that much different/better than Model A's. Sometimes I still doubt myself that I am probably tone-deaf, since many people plus Steinway marketing would consider Model B as the "perfect piano" in situations when Model D is overkill.

To me, from [M, O] to A is a big difference; A vs B boils down to individual instruments. And from B to D is a huge leap.

That also made me very curious about Model C. Too bad the New York factory does not make this model anymore.

A bit on the other side: not that long ago, WQXR held a Chopin Marathon, recordings of which are available online. In my opinion, that was a beautiful New York Model D. Since the whole event was performed by quite a few pianists, I thought it showed the true character of the instrument well. Here is the link:

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/story/watch-live-wqxrs-all-day-chopin-marathon/

2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

D
D
Originally Posted by Spaetensonaten

I nominate this as the post of the month.

+1. Absolutely educational and fantastic read.

2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
First of all recording technology can get sounds out of pianos that you won't hear in the concert hall. The close "miking" and focused sensitivity pattern of some microphones can create a much more prominent treble line than room acoustics usually provides to human ears. If the clarity is not there though the mikes can't manufacture that.

I would like to add to Sally's superb post that the Steinway tone regulation protocol of shaping the hammers down to bring the treble tone up was practiced at both factories. It is not just pour lacquer in the hammers and play it in. Hamburg moved away from that "official" protocol and began using heavier/harder hammers that require significant needle work and combined that with reduced leverage in the action sometime in the 1960's. NY stayed longer with the "original" specs before joining Hamburg in reducing the action leverage.

The result of these changes to the action and hammers is less stable tone quality, faster hammer wear, slower repetition, reduced dynamic range and reduced tone color range.

The other thing to watch out for in Steinway's and other makes is if the V-bar is hardened and/or the metal of the casting is too hard. This will lead to reduced string life, shrill treble tone, false beats, and egregious duplex scale noises.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
praise the sainted cristofori and all the piano gods for technical experts like phillips and mcmorrow who take the time and responsibility to share their wisdom with the hoi polloi. dankon !

D
D
Again many thanks to Ms. Phillips's enlightening post.

Interestingly, her post's mentioning of Hamburg instruments' sensitivity to environmental changes echoed anecdotal knowledge I got from my friends who owned smaller Hamburg grands living in a humid part of Asia. Both of them (one is an M, the other an O) expressed some frustration of the high humidity's ill effect. The M owner told me that when she played her piano on a rainy day, if she opened the window the tonal quality of notes closer to the window will change quite quickly. As quick as within a few minutes.

On the contrary, we got our A in winter and for the most part of the winter we didn't have the broken whole-house humidifier replaced. Then came the humid summer that I eventually got a dehumidifier just recently. Despite this, it still holds well.

2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission