Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#257707 - 11/29/08 10:11 PM When to Upgrade? And Why?
MAK Offline

Loc: New York Metropolitan Area
Here is a question for experienced pianists:

If a mere hobbyist has a first tier piano already, does it make any sense to upgrade a larger first tier piano? Is it necessary, or merely an indulgence? Example: an upgrade from a Bosie 175 to a 225 or larger Bosendorfer? What are the benefits of an upgrade on this level, if any? is it simply an emotional thing to want "bigger and better"? Over the years, I have upgraged stereos, cameras, cars. Why upgrade the piano? I am wrestling with this ( and I will need to explain it to my wife if I do it ;\)

Bosendorfer 175

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#257708 - 11/29/08 10:35 PM Re: When to Upgrade? And Why?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

(Generally) better action (longer keys), better control of ppp dynamics, and longer string speaking lengths. Longer strings means deeper tone especially in the lowest part of the compass. Basically, it is "the bigger the better". Though I'm sure a 170 Bosie is very nice!

The best thing to do if you decide on "bigger", is to play as many pianos in the general size you want as you can get your hands on.

Best decision I ever made was to get my S&S B. (Though my upgrade was from a CLP-230!!! )

#257709 - 11/30/08 05:51 AM Re: When to Upgrade? And Why?
JustAnotherPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: United Kingdom
What you are paying for beyond 6' is essentially a more graceful piano. Bigger sound and deeper bass is not as important to an advanced pianist as this extra 'grace'. It is easier to produce a wider range of colours on a bigger instrument. You can get greater and more subtle effects with the pedal.
You have to pay a great deal for these things, especially with high-end brands.

One thing you must consider is the space in which your piano will live. Many people do not mind having a 7' or 9'in an average living room. Others find anything over 6' produces too much sound. Some would argue it is better to have a 6' piano with the lid open than a 7' piano with the lid closed.

I know many concert pianists with full-sized pianos, I know others with smaller pianos. It comes down to preference and budget.

My advice-be happy with your piano. If you feel you need more piano and have the budget to upgrade, go for it.

edit: another thought-there is great variation in quality between given sizes of any brand. One S&S B will have a wonderful complex sound while another might have a somewhat boring sound.
I have an exceptional, rather 'souped up' Hamburg O. I enjoy it more in every way than an average B.

If your current piano is exceptional compared to others of its own size and make, it might be difficult to find a larger model of the same quality. If you find one, don't hesitate to buy it.

#257710 - 11/30/08 09:30 AM Re: When to Upgrade? And Why?
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
Just because you are an amateur doesn't mean you're not worthy of the best instrument you can afford. A friend of mine put it well: The only prerequisite to owning a fine piano is to love it!

In some regards it is more important for an amateur to have the best instrument possible. They more than anyone are looking for inspiration! Also because they likely have less time to spend at the piano it's all the more important to make it the highest quality experience possible.

i n d u l g e
www.pianova.net

#257711 - 11/30/08 10:00 AM Re: When to Upgrade? And Why?
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Go play one and see if you see the need. I am sure it was the same with a stereo or camera for you. I am sure you did not just go out and buy a better stereo or camera. As with the camera or stereo if you don’t see the need I would wait because your entire view of what you need from a piano may change with time as you get better and your choice may be entirely different.

anon

#257712 - 11/30/08 10:56 AM Re: When to Upgrade? And Why?
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
I think that it sort of depends on what your goals are as a player. I am accustomed to getting lambasted for recommending large pianos. The truth is, you can't get a large piano timbre on a small piano. You can't create the sustain, and you can't create a low tenor and especially bass that literally surrounds you. With the additional length in strings, you are invited to "play" with time and rubato and pedal effects to a greater degree especially in the big romantic literature. If you are not an advanced player, the advantages are likely lost. It doesn't mean that almost anything won't sound better on a larger instrument. If you are doing a cost/benefit analysis though, I doubt that the average or beginning player could ever justify it. In car engines, the oft cited quote is "There's no substitute for cubic inches!" In pianos the same is true. When I set about upgrading from a baby-grand 18 years ago, I knew what I had to have and nothing would substitute. I have had no regrets whatsoever since my first large acquisition. Pathetic creature that I am, it motivated me to buy more than one. Buy the biggest darned piano that you can and enjoy the heck out of it!

#257713 - 11/30/08 11:33 AM Re: When to Upgrade? And Why?
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
 Quote:
Originally posted by MAK:
Here is a question for experienced pianists:

If a mere hobbyist has a first tier piano already, does it make any sense to upgrade a larger first tier piano? Is it necessary, or merely an indulgence? Example: an upgrade from a Bosie 175 to a 225 or larger Bosendorfer? What are the benefits of an upgrade on this level, if any? is it simply an emotional thing to want "bigger and better"? Over the years, I have upgraged stereos, cameras, cars. Why upgrade the piano? I am wrestling with this ( and I will need to explain it to my wife if I do it ;\) [/b]
We regularly have recent vintage, so called "tier 1" pianos ( both European and American ) traded in by adult enthusiasts. Sometimes they are getting a larger piano, but just as often, they are getting the same size or even a smaller size. Sometimes, they are even trading in their recent vintage tier 1 piano towards the exact same brand and model with us, only the piano they are now getting was rebuilt and/or customized by PianoCraft.
In these scenarios, the reason is usually that the person's taste and skill have developed and they begin realizing that while their very well made tier 1 instrument might be a fine piano for someone, it is not right for them. It is also may be that particular model has design flaws that did not become apparent until the person had the instrument for a while. It is even the case that the particular instrument they bought was just a dog. We see this fairly often, and it is the main reason that I so strongly recommend that people looking at expensive instruments have access to someone who plays the piano at a very high level to help them in the decision making process. If that person is not the actual buyer, it can be their teacher, or a friend, or even someone at the shop where they are considering a piano ( if they trust the people at the shop enough, and if the people at the shop actually play well enough )

The common observation on this site that you can't go wrong with any of the top tier instruments could not be further from reality in my experience. While most of the top tier instruments are made well enough with good quality materials, the way in which they sound and feel are all quite different. Some models have major design issues that less experienced or less insiteful players wont understand until they have owned the instrument for a while, while an excellent and accomplished pianist will pick up on these things fairly quickly if they audition the instrument with a variety of repertoire in order to really find out the performance capabilities of that instrument. Some brands make pianos that are very repertoire specific. They sound terrific in 18th century music and jazz, but they fail in the more romantic repertoire of the mid to late 19th century.

To answer your question, if you are not satisfied with your current instrument, and you can afford another that you would enjoy more, by all means, get it! Just be aware that there can be many legitimate reasons you are not entirely satisfied with your current instrument even though it was quite expensive initially.

By the way, many of the less expensive instruments outperform the more expensive instruments, especially if they are beautifully prepared, although they probably wont have as nice fit and finish work.
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#257714 - 12/01/08 08:29 AM Re: When to Upgrade? And Why?
MAK Offline

Loc: New York Metropolitan Area
What I gather from the tenor of these comments is that an upgrade to a larger grand is appropriate for an accomplished musician. For an intermediate player, such as myself, the benefits may not be apparent. Nevertheless, I think I will visit a piano dealer and play some pieces on a variety of pianos and see for myself. Thank you for your comments.

Bosendorfer 175

#257715 - 12/01/08 10:22 AM Re: When to Upgrade? And Why?
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
 Quote:
What I gather from the tenor of these comments is that an upgrade to a larger grand is appropriate for an accomplished musician. For an intermediate player, such as myself, the benefits may not be apparent. Nevertheless, I think I will visit a piano dealer and play some pieces on a variety of pianos and see for myself. Thank you for your comments. [/b]
Hi Mak,

I didn't mean that at all. I have said many times before that it is the adult amateur ( read that as beginner, intermediate, advanced adult returning to lessons after many years etc ) that benefits the most from owning a great piano.
Bigger is not always better. It depends on the specific instrument, the player, the use it will get, and the acoustic of the room where it will live.
Best of luck! I hope you find your ideal piano, and enjoy the search as well. Keep us posted.
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#257716 - 12/01/08 10:38 AM Re: When to Upgrade? And Why?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
What I gather from the tenor of these comments is that an upgrade to a larger grand is appropriate for an accomplished musician. For an intermediate player, such as myself, the benefits may not be apparent. Nevertheless, I think I will visit a piano dealer and play some pieces on a variety of pianos and see for myself. Thank you for your comments. [/b]
Not exactly.

To quote LJC's (a member who owns a gorgeous Hamburg Steinway D from 1968) words from a thread about upgrading to a grand:

Quote:
When you want one, its necessary.
Best answer to this type of question I've ever heard!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
71 registered (AZNpiano, Adypiano, ARamadan, angga888, 15 invisible), 1057 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327681 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission