2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
OP Offline
C
I see I see smile

Do you remember when you first started Piano what did your teacher give you to practice? What did you practice? When you say easy material like what? I would liek to try out your material. Also is it good to learn ledger lines now or later someone said that im to early to learn them? im like the heck??? why later? they are just some extra notes lol.

S
S
I miss-read what you typed
"It means, that repeating the same mistakes, or timing errors, there is the danger you imprint them into your memory"

I thought you were saying muscle memory is repeating the same mistakes..etc.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
No problem Swain, think I've learned more about this particular subject, from these discussions. cool

The most important thing is the OP gets the message, that if one learns something the wrong way, it can be hard to unlearn it, and learn it the right way.

Don't need Synthesia for that to happen, many say that not having a teacher, can lead to the self-studying piano student developing bad habits.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
When I started, before I had the method books I've already told you, I watched tutorials on Youtube explaining Basic Music Reading, Basic Piano Keyboard, did simple piano exercises, C Scale, etc. I mostly followed a Spanish pianist.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheodorN
..many say that not having a teacher, can lead to the self-studying piano student developing bad habits.

Or the wrong teacher, which can be even worse. If you self-study, you will at least be prone to question what you are doing.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I agree, maybe it all boils down to how honest the student, self-teaching or not, is towards him- or herself. It can be hard to be critical towards yourself, but posting videos, like in the recitals, or the piano bar, helps a lot.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cutestpuppie
I see I see smile

Do you remember when you first started Piano what did your teacher give you to practice? What did you practice? When you say easy material like what? I would liek to try out your material. Also is it good to learn ledger lines now or later someone said that im to early to learn them? im like the heck??? why later? they are just some extra notes lol.

Hi there, the reason you don't need to learn ledger lines now, is.. well.. it's just extra stuff for you to learn. If you want to learn them, that's fine, they're just an extension of the lines you already see. But it's not necessary. If you first learn the notes that are on the lines, then the ones on the invisible lines (ledger lines) will be easier to learn.

From my limited experience teaching so beginners so far, I think the fastest way to learn to read music is to learn to recognize intervals. The Alfred book method goes into this. Colormypiano's website has some worksheets also that you can do.
http://colorinmypiano.com/wp-content/files/Identifying_Intervals_worksheets_BW_-_ColorInMyPiano.pdf

If your goal is to read music, I think you might want to bypass Synthesia, which seems like is mainly for instant gratification in being able to play *a* piece. The reason why I think you should bypass it is because you need to practice reading music to learn to read music, not practice playing a kind of musical DDR. When you play musical DDR, I think it will discourage you from learning to really read music. Reading music is not too hard, but if you don't do it, you are not going to learn, and you're going to want to take shortcuts to achieve music which won't help you reach your goal in the long run.

Last edited by hello my name is; 10/15/16 08:03 PM.

~piano teacher in training~
C
OP Offline
C
QUICK UPDATE

Synthesia is actually improving my sight reading?

I have bought the full version and I'm practicing on 'EASY' (songs like jingle bells, row row, marry hand a little lamb etc) section with sheets enabled. I am not reading the falling notes I am reading the sheet. This is good because if I play wrong notes, Synthesia will tell me that i played wrong note. So far so good with Synthesia. Again I'm still new no hate pls hehehe ;D
i think Synthesia is really good for newbies like me but be prepared to buy the full version though.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission