2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
Originally Posted by noobpianist90
Does the Gieseking book mentioned by Nahum contain some of these techniques?

I read the Gieseking book. It is fascinating. Gieseking seemed very self absorbed and pompous. He bragged in the book that he insisted his students memorize their pieces before they even started playing them on the piano. They would do this by memorizing the music measure by measure by deeply understanding the differences between each measure. I don't think I could ever do that.
Very few pianists, even very advanced ones, can. Another extreme outlier technique not appropriate or useful for 99+% of pianists. While it may have been useful/possible for Gieseking, that doesn't mean it makes sense for others.

Fredric Chiu gives seminars for groups of extremely advanced young concert pianists. He did have them(I don't remember why) try to memorize the first half of a Scarlatti Sonata and perform it the next day. Most/all of them were not successful and these were young pianists who had won competitions and had performing careers. That's why I think this is an extreme outlier approach not relevant for almost everyone and certainly should not even be considered except by the most advanced professionals.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/26/16 10:07 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I do it regularly with passages (several measures at a time), but have not done an entire piece. On a small scale like that, it's more accessible for us mere mortals (as opposed to Gieseking), and it's great practice and training.

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
]Very few pianists, even very advanced ones, can. Another extreme outlier technique not appropriate or useful for 99+% of pianists. While it may have been useful/possible for Gieseking, that doesn't mean it makes sense for others.

Fredric Chiu gives seminars for groups of extremely advanced young concert pianists. He did have them(I don't remember why) try to memorize the first half of a Scarlatti Sonata and perform it the next day. Most/all of them were not successful and these were young pianists who had won competitions and had performing careers.
Skill of   text visualization   isn't for the few days seminars. I recommend reading the book by Norman Doidge The Brain That Changes Itself, which clearly says that the acquisition of a new skill requires constant daily work for months with daily repetitions up to 500 times.

Me and my bad memory tested it on myself for the first time on age 67 : take a piece of 32 bars of John Coltrane 26-2 (only single-note melody with chords, but difficult), and decided to go to the memorization without tool for scientific: I began to consult with significant musical psychologist. He was the first in my life, who explained that passive photographic memory does not exist, but active reproduction the seen - consciously or unconsciously. For example, if I could always improvise mentally since childhood, even before I started to learn; and it has become a habit for a lifetime - from the beginning in a Beethoven's style in later in the blues genre that accompanies me from morning till night. I think this is repeated more than 1,000 times a day, actually non-stop.

For visualization of musical text is meant an active mental notes writing on an imaginary sheet of music paper again and again - a few hundred times a day (I did an average of 300) for two and a half weeks. Gradually, occurred an synthesis of several senses: visual memory, auditory memory, tactile; I could not catch, if I see a note or key, or hear it, or feel the touch of a fingertip.   All this struck up in one knot . An active synesthesia.
But I've never never will teach this someone it; this is a task for the education system: the creation of a science-based school course of development of memory, obligatory for all.

Last edited by Nahum; 10/26/16 01:21 PM.
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I do it regularly with passages (several measures at a time), but have not done an entire piece. On a small scale like that, it's more accessible for us mere mortals (as opposed to Gieseking), and it's great practice and training.
Are you doing it to test memory, before playing it, or for other reasons?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I do it as a way to analyze/study the music from an interesting perspective: it makes one have to manually place every individual note, and therefore think about every individual note.

And, I also do it to test and reinforce memory.

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N

Especially recommended to write only the accompaniment (in polyphony -
counterpoint) - there are hidden major memory problems.

Originally Posted by Nahum

Especially recommended to write only the accompaniment (in polyphony -
counterpoint) - there are hidden major memory problems.

You omitted the part where OSK said he does this for a few measures only. Reasonable for a few measures but not recommended IMO or particularly useful for an entire piece. There are much more commonly recommended memory methods regularly used by players at all levels that are less time consuming and help when actually performing a piece!

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/27/16 01:55 PM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by noobpianist90
Why do you say so?
My time to sit at the piano and practice is limited, but during my commute time, I thought I can do this exercise, for very short and simple pieces to start with. Over time, I thought I would be able to expand this approach towards learning larger pieces. Am I wrong?

No, you aren't wrong.

I have worked with this technique a bit. If you do it in your head, rather than actually writing the music out on paper, it can be a great way to do something musically useful with time that might not be used for anything in particular, such as during a commute ride on public transportation, or waiting in a dentist's office, or while falling asleep.

I'd say that it is probably preferable, though, to actually write the music on paper (or in notation software), since you can check for accuracy then. But the purely mental method is better than nothing.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I'd want to write it out to check for accuracy. I've caught myself having memorized things a little different than what was actually written.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I doubt pianists who play cycles of entire things in recitals (Luddy's Sonatas, WTC, Freddie's Etudes) have completely written them out. But, you never really know.

This always seems to be the "helpful" suggestion of someone like a saxophone-playing theory teacher to pianists. 😀

(But, inspired by this thread, I was just thought writing part of Mozart's K. 330 pretty accurately, I'll claim.)

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Great post!!!

It is extremely helpful. I've never done it with an entire piece or anything close to that, but I've done it for passages on which I was having trouble feeling confident about the memory, especially passages that somehow felt confusing.

What I've done more often, and which is similar, is to imagine in my mind's eye exactly what's in the score and to make sure I know exactly. This is a very interesting process to me because of how it's a mixture of imaginary visualization and just imagining the details but without visualization per se. Like, to some extent it's getting a picture in my mind of what a measure or phrase actually looks like in the score, but more so, it's not necessarily having a mental picture but just knowing, "It's such-and-such notes of such-and-such lengths, and the marked dynamic is forte (or whatever), and in the other hand we have....." I find myself going back and forth between those 2 things, not by intent by just according to whichever feels easier for each place in the piece.

I would add that the purpose isn't just "to test your memory." It's also to help reinforce it, to help "cement" it. There are various ways that we can reinforce and cement the memory, and to me this can be a very valuable additional one.

P.S. After typing this, I realized that I got some of the 'inspiration' about this, although not exactly the specifics, from a brief conversation that I had, years ago, at an amateur competition with a fellow competitor (and very gifted writer) named Peter Schlueer, who talked about how he thinks "mental practice" is underrated. He also mentioned another thing about memorization which I immediately absorbed and which has become a major part of how I approach learning and playing a piece. (In fact.....I don't think I've ever told him, and I certainly haven't thanked him enough, so I'll look for a way to send him this thread.) smile

He talked about how being able to play by ear is a valuable asset for playing by memory, which is a good point in itself; but he then went on to say this thing which, to me, vaulted it into a higher realm: ".....and eventually it becomes the memory."

Wow!
This is huge.
If you can play by ear, even just 'sort of'; and if you simply know 'how the piece goes' and how you want it to sound, you don't any longer exactly need to remember all the notes or all the markings or whatever. You play what you have in your head and heart and soul, based on what you've gotten into your head and heart and soul from having studied and learned the piece.
Well, I don't "play by ear" nearly well enough to do this fully, but, even if you just 'sort of' can do it, it's enormously helpful, and not just for memory but for everything about making the music. It enables you to not worry very much about the memory, because you know that even if you were to get stuck, as long as you know "how the music goes" you can always give at least some good semblance of it. I don't mean it's OK to just be approximate; I mean that this relieves some of the worst fear and anxiety about memory. Plus, of course, it helps toward the basic goal of "making music" as opposed to just playing notes.

In an amateur competition a few years later, I was 'saved' by this. I made the finals, completely unexpectedly, having not practiced my finals piece for quite some time, and, because of some mix-ups by the event as well as on my own part, I didn't even have a chance to go through the piece on the day of the finals. What enabled me to do all right (more or less) grin was, I said to myself, "you know how it goes, just play it the way you like hearing it." It wasn't great (need I say) ha but this ability kept me from being nervous in the least, it "went well," and I was able even to be having a good time up there (in large part because of bemusement over the fact that this approach was actually working), which is tough in a competition even when you're well prepared.

Now, to try to find a way to send this to Peter....

Your post is great as well!!

I'm happy to see that this thread has sparked the interest of so many people. I've been away from here for quite some time lol.

Yes, being able to play well by ear IS extremely helpful! My teacher always says - "don't worry about the notes; trust your ear." Well, his ear is a lot sharper than mine though, lol.

How did you place in that competition, may I ask? smile

5th prize, which was next-to-last among the finalists. I considered it a victory just not being last. grin

Actually, nothing to do with where I placed. I was just happy with how I played. I didn't know they would give any rankings except the top 3, I didn't expect to be among those, and felt bad that they did -- not for me but for the person who was 6th.

I don't think competitions should state any rankings except the top 3 or so. I have no idea why they do. I think it serves no purpose other than maybe to embarrass the finalist who gets put last.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi

This always seems to be the "helpful" suggestion of someone like a saxophone-playing theory teacher to pianists. 😀

I once heard Marc Andre Hamelin tout it as the "gold standard" for knowing that you thoroughly know a piece. On the other hand, I don't remember that he said he actually did it. laugh

I also vaguely remember Hélène Grimaud talking about doing the mental version of it, and saying something to the effect that it was huge revelation it was when she first tried it, because it showed her that she had numerous weak spots in a piece she thought she knew quite well.

It seems Bronfman must do something like it, because he apparently also knows all the measure numbers for things he plays, and can play either left or right hand separately or together for any given measure in a piece. I don't see how he could do that without knowing the piece well enough to write it out.

B
B
Originally Posted by wr
[It seems Bronfman must do something like it, because he apparently also knows all the measure numbers for things he plays, and can play either left or right hand separately or together for any given measure in a piece. I don't see how he could do that without knowing the piece well enough to write it out.

He can do that if he has 'photographic memory', without ever having to write out a single note.

If music be the food of love, play on!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

I once heard Marc Andre Hamelin tout it as the "gold standard" for knowing that you thoroughly know a piece. On the other hand, I don't remember that he said he actually did it. laugh

I also vaguely remember Hélène Grimaud talking about doing the mental version of it, and saying something to the effect that it was huge revelation it was when she first tried it, because it showed her that she had numerous weak spots in a piece she thought she knew quite well.

It seems Bronfman must do something like it, because he apparently also knows all the measure numbers for things he plays, and can play either left or right hand separately or together for any given measure in a piece. I don't see how he could do that without knowing the piece well enough to write it out.

For fugues, I've heard "leave out a voice, singing that one, while playing the others." (One could use Ebenezer Prout's words for that task with Bach. 😀)

Reportedly, Mitropoulos used to get memorized rehearsal numbers or letters wrong all the time, and the NY Philharmonic hated him for it. 😀

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Originally Posted by wr

What's good/appropriate for pianists at the level of those three is probably not good at all for more than 99% of the rest of the population.

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by bennevis

He can do that if he has 'photographic memory', without ever having to write out a single note.
Yes , he has! During my work in the symphony orchestra was the case when Yefim has replaced diseased soloist . It was some little-known concert and Bronfman had only 3 (three) days to prepare it.
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
]What's good/appropriate for pianists at the level of those three is probably not good at all for more than 99% of the rest of the population.
This is not really stats, but only guessing. Imagine that you want to participate in weightlifting competitions, but your previous experience, since childhood - multiple lift of chairs, tables,bags, maybe DP, etc. It can't be called a professional training, and should not even on the same level as you have studied mathematics at school.

Last edited by Nahum; 11/01/16 03:31 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission