2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Wow, that video is a tough listen! What a boring voice!

I was trying to find the pitch of that awful drum machine but there was background interference that sounded like, maybe a woman singing with a keyboard in an adjacent room?

I had to stop after five minutes but I think I got the idea. You hum one note that fits with the whole tune. And that you might get a third or a fifth - which you did.

Go back to the first minute and a half - if you can bear the dullness of his voice - and he says something along the lines of being able to finish a phrase on tonic.

That's it! That's what I do. It's like call and answer in the Blues (for when I'm improvising on guitar). I sing an improvised closing phrase and finish on the tonic with a perfect cadence.

Yes, we can pick out melodies with key. You only need the key for harmonising them so just work on melodies until they're easy for you.

Richard
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
What zrtf90 says -- "being able to finish a phrase on a tonic" -- is also what I do. I only learned I could do this when I was working out my own (sung) songs at the piano, and discovering that everything I made up ended on the tonic, corresponding to a feeling of being "done."

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
I'm reading you both. I can't apply that now but will remember it for when I can.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I didn't know Bluebird before this theead, so I'm starting by listening to it over and over until I learn the melody. Then I'll try to work the melody out just like any other melody I know, and in whatever range it falls into.

Then later I might listen and try to work out the bass line from the recording, not because I particularly care about getting the standard accompaniment/chords correct, but because listening to bass lines is something I would like to learn how to do.

What approaches are others trying to get started on this song?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
I thought it very difficult to learn the melody since it was not familiar to me, but then realized I was leaning it while trying to get the notes. laugh

I just got like the first 16 notes or so. It was getting complex when notes were faster and stopped. Taking it easy. smile

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Hello and Happy Melodies,

It's a good thing it is a rain day today so I can get caught up. To be honest, I've lost track of what I'm supposed to be working on. Is Joy to the World still in the mix? Is that the Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog Joy to the world, or the other one?

For the Bluebird, I wasn't sure at first if we were going to include the long introduction, but every video I've seen of it does include it, so I think it is just known as part of the song. The thing is though, the intro is in a different key. Oh well, we're not worrying about keys anyway, for now.

The below is the audio I'm working from. By my estimation the intro is in G and then goes to the key of E for 1st verse. This is what I think, for anyone working on harmony. Knowing this, of course will surely help you for the melody too. Otherwise, why are we all of a sudden waste deep with black notes? laugh

Edit: Sorry, you can ignore the above. It is perhaps just this video. Cole Porter (if you are working from that video) doesn't seem to change key and I think maybe F.

Actually does change key, and goes to D i think. The Cole Porter video, not this one. Sooner or later we get it right smile

Last edited by Greener; 10/27/16 12:20 PM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Hi Greener, for Joy To The World, I was thinking of the Christmas Carol. But Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog is fun too. Shall we add that to the list?
We seem to have mostly ignored Joy To The World, but do work/post on it if you'd like.

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
I'm sorry! I went searching for "Sing like a Bluebird" because I didn't know it, and then forgot about "Joy to the World". laugh Let's do it next, please. I'll go check that version you are talking about, PianoStudent88.

Edit: I realize now Jeremiah was a Bullfrog is another song. I don't know it...I prefer "Joy to the World". smile

Last edited by Albunea; 10/27/16 03:15 PM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
What shall we do after Bluebird?

100 melodies

1. Sat 10/15, Sun 1/16, Mon 10/17
Happy Birthday

2. Tue 10/18, Wed 10/19, Thu 10/20
Old MacDonald

3. Fri 10/21, Sat 10/22, Sun 10/23
Love Story

4. Mon 10/24, Tue 10/25, Wed 10/26
Joy To The World

5. Thu 10/27, Fri 10/28, Sat 10/29
Be Like the Blue Bird

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
I think "Moon River" is good for a simple famous melody that we can work on without checking a source. And for those who want to work on it in depth, there are lots of tutorials and sheet music to compare with.

More possibilities:

You've Got a Friend/You Make me Feel Like a Natural Woman (Carole King)
Yesterday/Imagine/Something (Beatles)
Radio Ga Ga/ Too Much Love Will Kill you / The Great Pretender (Queen)
Every Breath You Take / Roxanne (Police)

I am trying to think of songs most everybody knows. I personally know and like lots of American Oldies. Nursery Songs are not famous here, only the ones that are used in language learning, like Old MacDonald...or the Hokey Pokey! laugh That could be one.

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
In place of Love Story which I already knew, I worked a little bit on Tubular Bells from the Exorcist. More like a version of it as I just did it from how I remembered it and haven't listened again. From what I remember there is not much harmony at all. But, a catchy little repeating melody phrase. Catchy enough that there have been sequels. It is a bit tricky as it has a little counter melody.

I've already done Moon River, but is good choice for you.

You've Got a Friend I like. Please don't make me do the Carole King one smile . All the Beatles and Queen are great ...

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
We can also have in mind some famous Christmas Carols like "White Christmas", "Silent Night", "All I want for Christmas is You" laugh There must be some other.

Edit: Jingle Bells!

Last edited by Albunea; 10/27/16 05:26 PM.
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Greener

You've Got a Friend I like. Please don't make me do the Carole King one smile

I don't think ours will sound like any particular singer... laugh What do you mean with that anyhow? Is there some version you'd like to do or you simply dislike Carole King?

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
I've nothing against Carole King. It's the Feeling like a Natural Woman part I object to. Even on piano I'd just have a hard time getting into it, if you can understand. f

I'll get over it if I have to. smile

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Oh LOL I was thinking of "You've Got a Friend", which is also hers and it's the one you had typed there...I understand now. laugh

Originally Posted by Albunea
Originally Posted by zrtf90

Let me have another crack at this trying not to sound crazy!

Do you have a circle of fifths to hand or do you know the circle well enough?

This is the order:
Fb Cb Gb Db Ab Eb Bb F C G D A E B F# C# G# D# A# E# B#

It's basically the notes F C G D A E and B all as flats, then as naturals, then as sharps. It's possible to add double flats to the left and double sharps to the right but let's not go there for now.

I have a second row, rather than an inner ring, offset three to the left (a minor third) so that the relative minor is underneath the relative major. I also have a third row offset the same.

Take the notes from your melody and eliminate duplicates, F G A D C E. In most songs you'll have six or seven notes. Find those notes, or most of them, as a contiguous block in the circle of fifths. Unless the piece has a lot of chromaticism, changes of key or is in a minor key, where rules such as the sharped 7th will be applied, the notes in the piece will be a single block.

In my case it's not a circle of fifths but a ribbon and the block of notes above appears as:
F C G
D A E
B

The other two notes on the bottom row are unlikely to appear in many pieces. There are only seven notes in the block (and this is the shape of the block), any other notes are accidentals.

If it's in a major key the tonic will be the middle of the three top notes. In a diatonic minor key it's likely to be the middle of the second row. If any of the other notes feels like home it's probably in a mode. Top left is Lydian, top right is Mixolydian, middle left is Dorian, middle right is Phrygian and if that lone note on the bottom left feels like home it will be Locrian.

Finding the tonic depends on trying to see if any of these six or seven notes sounds like home. I may either make up a finishing phrase or I may step up and down from the end of a phrase until I feel I've reached home on one note below and its octave above.

Is that better or worse?

Worse. whistle

I am learning intervals in my Bastien 2. laugh I've read before about the Circle of Fifths but have not understood it...will watch a basic video now in a new attempt.

I'm just starting on theory for Circle of Fifths also. I like zrtf90's version in a straight line better with the offsets on the second and third row for the relative minors, but I haven't worked that part out in my head yet. I did realize something I was totally missing by looking at it in a circle rather than in a straight line, the order is the order in the key signature for sharps.

Right now I'm just trying to get the pattern down in my head: F to C is a fifth, C to G is a fifth, etc. And figuring out the sharps using the pattern on the tetrachords e.g.,

I don't know if this will help you Albunea, but for me just memorizing which keys have sharps is ok, but if I memorize the pattern, then I can figure any of them out:

1 octave = two tetra chords separated by whole step
Each tetrachord pattern = whole step, whole step, half step

So to figure out A major sharps:

Tetrachord 1: A, B, C, D
Tetrachord 2: E, F, G, A

Pattern tetrachord 1: A whole step to B, B whole step is C#, C# half step to D
D to E is the whole step that separates the tetrachords
Pattern tetrachord 2: E whole step to F#, F# whole step to G#, G# half step to A.

A major has three sharps: C, F, G

For me sitting at the piano going through the key signatures counting whole step, whole step, half step, helped ingrain it.

By the way what is the next song; I've been tied up at work all week and didn't get to do any of the previous ones.

Stacey

In progress:
Working through First Lessons in Bach and Russian Music Book 1

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Hello,
this is what I think we have so far;

Happy Birthday
Old MacDonald
Love Story
Be Like the Blue Bird

All of the above complete. Catch up if you have the time and want to, or not is fine.

Joy To The World - Kind of got lost in the above group so I believe is what we are doing now. The Christmas version of Joy to the World. Not the Three Dog Night version.

Then, I'm hoping:

You've Got a Friend
Yesterday (Beatles)
Imagine (Beatles)
Something (Beatles)

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
SadieLady, some of us will be doing now "Joy to the World" and maybe others "Be Like the Bluebird". You can do them all laugh I mean, just getting some notes from each is ok. This exercise is mostly a reminder to work a bit on relating sounds to piano keys for me, for example, and it is not a moment when I can spend lots of time on it...some day I might!

Last edited by Albunea; 10/29/16 04:51 PM.
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
An improvisation of Joy to the World I've just found:

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
So I listened to that improvisation above to remember a bit how the song goes (I think I don't know the song perfectly well laugh ), and I got my notes for the melody...a whole lot of 33 notes! smile Mine must be in the C Key because I started at C and finished at C, with no accidentals. Another interesting thing is an Octave jump somewhere.

I am not telling more or could be revealing some secrets. laugh

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission