2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
G
Is there a resource somewhere that explains exactly what has changed between the PHA4-Concert/Premium and the new PHA-50 action?

I haven't really scrutinized the marketing renders/cutaways but it seems like the main difference is just the cosmetic real-wood strips added to the PHA-50? Is there anything that makes it an improved action?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Indeed there are differences in the PHA-4 Concert and the PHA-50 beyond the addition of hybrid construction (addition of wood)

While down-weight hasn't changed, the inertia definitely has. The new keybed has a more positive feel to it when you play fast passages, trills and the like. My own opinion is that it nicely splits the middle between the older bottoming out of the PHA-3 variants, and the bottoming of the PHA-4. For me, more satisfying.

Mechanical noise is slightly quieter than that of the PHA-4 variants while still offering that nice key bottom feel.

The addition of the wood allows you to feel more of the music through the PHA-50 keybed. It's quite a feeling to have those big rumbly bass notes come through the keys more than they could before.

The engineers also added stabilization pins to the action to prevent side to side motion when doing glissando techniques.

The changes may not be super obvious to the eye. But they are dramatic to the finger.

Jay

Industry Consultant
B
B
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
Indeed there are differences in the PHA-4 Concert and the PHA-50 beyond the addition of hybrid construction (addition of wood)

While down-weight hasn't changed, the inertia definitely has. The new keybed has a more positive feel to it when you play fast passages, trills and the like. My own opinion is that it nicely splits the middle between the older bottoming out of the PHA-3 variants, and the bottoming of the PHA-4. For me, more satisfying.

Mechanical noise is slightly quieter than that of the PHA-4 variants while still offering that nice key bottom feel.

The addition of the wood allows you to feel more of the music through the PHA-50 keybed. It's quite a feeling to have those big rumbly bass notes come through the keys more than they could before.

The engineers also added stabilization pins to the action to prevent side to side motion when doing glissando techniques.

The changes may not be super obvious to the eye. But they are dramatic to the finger.

Jay

And still the question would be if it is really better. I think it is just different.
I have played the hp605 with the new PHA 50 and also the PHA4 concert. Except for the wood I find the PHA 4 concert a bit better in feel. But this is personal preference.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That would depend on the individual.

I think it is a great action. Our best ever.

Jay

Industry Consultant
G
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
G
Thank you Jay, that's very helpful.

I'm thinking down the road and considering a possible upgrade in the next year or two. Crossing my fingers for obvious updates to the RD-800 and MP11, which would be a fun fight.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E

Jay

I have to agree on this. I tried it recently and was pleasantly surprised.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Thank you Jay, that's very helpful.

I'm thinking down the road and considering a possible upgrade in the next year or two. Crossing my fingers for obvious updates to the RD-800 and MP11, which would be a fun fight.
'

You're welcome.

If the implementation of the PHA-50 in the FP-90 is any indication of how that action works in a stage/portable instrument, the next flagship RD piano will be awesome!

Jay

Industry Consultant
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G

Jay

Yep, its a very good action. No complaints.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I like the PHA-50.

I never played on a piano with full wooden keys. I've played many different organs with different actions though, and keyboards and synths, with actions ranging from crap to very good.

Because of that, I don't really care what they keys are made of: full wood, full plastic/'molded materials', or a plastic/wood combo such as the PHA-50; as long as they I like the feeling.

Actually, I like the keytops of the PHA-50 better than those of the Kawai GF2. The GF2 felt very rough to me; sharp in places, actually. It could have been that specific piano, though. (The GF2-action itself was fine.)

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission