2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (36251, 1200s, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,517 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Falsch Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi smile

As I'm an adult beginner on the piano (but with some classical training at the organ as a kid), I'm going through Alfred's Adult All-in-One Piano Course, books 1-3.

After four years of classical organ I estimate that I reached ABRSM leel 4, maybe 5 (with regard to piece difficulty), after comparing organ pieces I played back then to exam pieces in the current ABRSM piano syllabus.

However, Alfred's AiO 3 has Bach's Toccata in D minor in it, and Moonlight Sonata. I played the first in my fourth year, but to be honest, it was above my level. I could play it, but by the skin of my teeth. Never played the ML Sonata on organ. (Don't know if it's even possible to do well.)

To which ABRSM levels can the Alfred books be compared? I can't believe the Toccata and Moonlight are below level 5, maybe even 6, but I also don't believe the Alfred books go up to level 5-6.

Last edited by Falsch; 11/07/16 10:58 AM.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The "ambitious section" at the end of book 3 of Alfred's is about grade 5 or so, but they are a jump above the teaching pieces in the rest of the book. I don't this Alfred 3 is above ABRSM 3 or so. An ABRSM exam also includes much more than what is presented in the Alfreds Adult series. That is just my opinion, having started back on piano with Alfred OIO 3, and moving into repertoire from there.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I guess you mean only the first movement of the Moonlight, though I have no idea how you would play the different dynamics on an organ. PianoSyllabus (http://pianosyllabus.com) says it's grade 7 although I think it's a bit easier than that. I'm playing it with my teacher right now after 2 years and he says I'm doing well. The main difficulty is the different dynamic levels in the same hand.

The Toccata in D minor is grade 9 according to PS, so unless it's a simplified arrangement that's quite advanced.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
The Toccata in D minor is grade 9 according to PS, so unless it's a simplified arrangement that's quite advanced.

I think we should determine which piece we are talking about.

I think the OP is talking about the well-known (Toccata from) Toccata & Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 for organ (as we know it, though it might not have been composed for organ originally, and may not even be by JSB....), not Toccata in D minor, BWV 913 for harpsichord.

If it's BWV 565 (without the fugue), it's not that difficult, whether on piano (with modifications) or organ.

P.S. This could well be the original form of BWV 565 wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_tu63ypB6I

Last edited by bennevis; 11/07/16 02:28 PM. Reason: P.S. added

If music be the food of love, play on!
F
Falsch Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by bennevis
[quote=Qazsedcft]

I think the OP is talking about the well-known (Toccata from) Toccata & Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 for organ (as we know it, though it might not have been composed for organ originally, and may not even be by JSB....), not Toccata in D minor, BWV 913 for harpsichord.

BWV 565 indeed. It was the reason why I started classical organ. It took me 3 months or so to learn the Toccata back then as a kid, the rest of the year for the Fugue, and I never managed to play the entire piece in one go without mistakes. I quit organ shortly after that.

If BWV 565 is not by Bach, then... uh... I will be devastated.

I like BWV 565 when played with a lot of power (organ), or very delicatedly (harp, guitar), but the piano sits somewhere in between, not attaining the power of the organ, nor having the delicacy of a harp or guitar.

I'll go and find a few piano renditions, but to find this piece at the end of Alfred 3 was quite a surprise.

B
B
Originally Posted by Falsch

I like BWV 565 when played with a lot of power (organ), or very delicatedly (harp, guitar), but the piano sits somewhere in between, not attaining the power of the organ, nor having the delicacy of a harp or guitar.

I'll go and find a few piano renditions, but to find this piece at the end of Alfred 3 was quite a surprise.

I think this is quite powerful thumb :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-t91r0Wing

F
Falsch Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
It sounds OK, but (IMHO), it doesn't even come close to the organ. If I had to choose a keyboard instrument other than the organ for BWV 565, I'd rather take the (pedal) harpsichord with two manuals.

Actually, one of my favorite instruments to play is the harpsichord with sustain pedal touch sensitive keys... Pianoteq, and most digital piano's can do that. I like to believe Bach would have liked such an instrument.

Last edited by Falsch; 11/07/16 03:34 PM.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

If it's BWV 565 (without the fugue), it's not that difficult, whether on piano (with modifications) or organ.

P.S. This could well be the original form of BWV 565 wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_tu63ypB6I

I was referring to this: http://pianosyllabus.com/detail.php?ref=779
But indeed I see that it's the toccata & fugue.

B
B

I was referring to this: http://pianosyllabus.com/detail.php?ref=779
But indeed I see that it's the toccata & fugue.

By necessity, any performance of BWV 565 on the piano is someone's arrangement - this one is Busoni's. There are a few other versions of it.

Tausig's (which Katsaris played in my earlier link, along with his own elaborations) is more tricky.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Actually, I would like to learn this piece (BWV 565) one day. You say it's not that difficult. How would you rate just the toccata then?

B
B
Actually, I would like to learn this piece (BWV 565) one day. You say it's not that difficult. How would you rate just the toccata then?

This version by Louis Brassin (which is closest to the organ 'original') is probably Grade 5-6 ABRSM.

http://imslp.nl/imglnks/usimg/6/63/...ccata_and_Fugue_in_D_minor__BWV_565_.pdf

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, it looks difficult to me but maybe it's easier than it looks. Saved the link for when my technique catches up to my ambition (See? I learned something from you! grin).

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
All the pieces in the ambitious section of Alfred's book 3 are as others have stated, way beyond the grade level of the pieces in the book. Seems a bit misleading for the book to say if you have studied each book well you are ready for the ambitious section. If we accept that book 3 is equivalent to ABRSM grade 3 (and I am not convinced it is) then we would not say to to anyone, once you have done your grade 3 you are ready for a grade 7 piece.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
Falsch Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F

This version by Louis Brassin (which is closest to the organ 'original') is probably Grade 5-6 ABRSM.

http://imslp.nl/imglnks/usimg/6/63/...ccata_and_Fugue_in_D_minor__BWV_565_.pdf

Well, if if the Toccata of BWV 565 is about ABRSM 5-6, and it was difficult but doable for me (on organ), then my estimate of having attained a level akin to ABRSM 4-5 seems to be correct smile Nice to know.

Now, if I can ever regain that on the piano, at least with regard to classical music, I'd be happy enough.

All the pieces in the ambitious section of Alfred's book 3 are as others have stated, way beyond the grade level of the pieces in the book. Seems a bit misleading for the book to say if you have studied each book well you are ready for the ambitious section. If we accept that book 3 is equivalent to ABRSM grade 3 (and I am not convinced it is) then we would not say to to anyone, once you have done your grade 3 you are ready for a grade 7 piece.

Fair enough; I'm mainly going through the Alfred books to pick up reading a bass clef again. I know all of the theory already, and I can sight-read most pieces in Book 1, slowly. I They are short enough to remember after 2-3 slow playthroughs, and then I can play them at speed. I expect that I have to practice a bit more once I hit books 2 and 3.

I hope that, by Book 3, my reading of the bass clef is sufficiently up to scratch to play some pieces from the Notebook for Magdalena Bach and some Little Preludes, Inventions, and a bit of the easier Scarlatti and Clementi pieces with more confidence.

It's vexing that I can just sit and play the right hand immediately, at 80-100% speed, but then have to play the left hand at like 25% speed or so.

Even if I remember the left hand so I don't have to read it, the 'classical music left hand' is different different enough to the 'popular music left hand' that playing it is hard... even if it's easy with regard to notes.

I mean, I have many chord progressions (often in the form of arpeggio's and rhythms) in the muscle memory of my left hand, and classical music breaks those. Badly.

Last edited by Falsch; 11/07/16 07:35 PM.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission