2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 5 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
So this "like new" H401 just showed up on craigslist. Guy is moving and must sell. I haven't played it yet. I'm thinking the key depth might be too shallow on these things, I dunno.

Last year I would have jumped at it, but right now my playing's in a rut and I keep thinking how big these grands are, will we get stuck with a white elephant we can't resell, etc.

Whaddya think? Should I muster up some enthusiasm and go play it?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What do you have to lose?

You hate it and move on?

You love it, buy it, find the inspiration you need to get out of your rut for another decade or two...

(I hear you on key depth concerns, though. It's almost as bad as a piano on a dolly with a non-adjustable bench...!)

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If memory serves, that's a Chinese-built piano that was made in the Sejung factory. At almost 10 years old, it's from more of the transitional period where there could be problems from these instruments before the quality level of their export product became more "landed".

I would encourage a pre-purachse tech inspection if you think you want to proceed.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
terminaldegree gives good advice...

For a 10 year old 6'2" grand, that sounds like a smoking hot deal. It may well be a good deal, but not necessarily smoking hot... warm, maybe? smile

I'd defiantly check it out. It may strike your fancy nicely.

Just remember, as my dear late mom used to say, "everything that glitters ain't gold"... a dear, sweet soul she was, indeed.

Good luck!!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
OP Offline
C
Rickster will the place of manufacture be apparent on the frame or cabinet somewhere??

Seller says it's 8 years old.

Last edited by carojm36; 11/08/16 01:30 PM.
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
I think you can tell a Sejun piano vs. the newer ones made by Parsons simply by the model name. Newer Baldwin is the BP190.

Treat it as a basic $3000 6'2" grand in like-new condition and not necessarily the deal of the century. A close tech inspection could tell you its quality and an estimate on longevity.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
There was no BP 190 model, 8 years ago. Even if there was, it is my perception that the Parsons grand pianos (which I do like, for the price) of today are better performing instruments than the ones made 8 years ago.

The Sejung-built pianos were the W-H399 at 5'8" and the W-H401 at 6'2". Of course, there is also the American-made L1 model at 6'3", but it would never be $3,000 at such a young age unless it had been badly damaged...

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Online Content
Hi, carojm36,

Terminaldegree is the real piano expert here and not me.

However, with that said, I've been around long enough to know that for what the piano you are looking at is, (or what it ain't smile ), it is more than worth looking at for $3000. And, it may well be a very nice looking, sounding, playing piano.

Sometimes negative seed-thoughts can deter us the right way, and sometimes the wrong way, depending on who you ask. $3K is dirt cheap for a nice, later model 6'2" grand piano of any brand/make.

Keep in mind, the same size piano in a top brand name (Yamaha, Kawai, Baldwin, and others) will be 4 times that amount, and then some.

It all boils down to cost-benefit-longevity-enjoyment-resale, or something like that. smile

Good luck!!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
OP Offline
C
OK so today I went and played it. It is in real nice condition, black matte or satin, whatever you call it. Very nice house with four car garage...yikes. They have a lot more room than we do.

It is definitely a full 6'2" piano, and comes with artist bench and light. It just says Hamilton. He didn't know where it was made, and I could not find the SN. The action seems nice enough, much newer than my old Kawai, and the keys are not too shallow at all. It sounded funny to me compared to my 48" upright. I think the Kawai's bass is fuller. It reminded me of my teacher's Petrof which is a similar size..I was so tired from last night I could barely play but it felt like ornaments were easier..

It gets tuned twice a year though it has been 7 months now and it's out of course. He gave me the name of the tuner as a reference. He says my teacher has played it at parties also. The local piano mover checked it out, earlier this year, and thought it would move fast at 4500. I'm afraid if I call him, though, he'll snap it up to resell.

Oy. We almost need a new house to go with....

Last edited by carojm36; 11/09/16 03:05 PM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by carojm36
He gave me the name of the tuner as a reference. He says my teacher has played it at parties also. The local piano mover checked it out, earlier this year, and thought it would move fast at 4500. I'm afraid if I call him, though, he'll snap it up to resell.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened already...

Usually, the local piano dealers, tuners/techs/movers keep their eye open for a nice piano at a cheap price so they can flip it pretty quickly and make a few hundred/thousand bucks on it. It happens more frequently than you think.

On the other hand, you are wise to be cautious and make sure it is something you really want and have room for. Worst case scenario, if you buy it and decide its not for you, then you can flip it and make a few bucks. smile

Good luck!

Rick

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
your 'find' is rare in the sense that even with entry level 'consumer' pianos, a grand that size in very good condition will generally get a higher price than the $3k. it's too bad you were fatigued when you inspected and played the piano. if your 48 in. upright kawai has a fuller sounding bass than a 6'2 grand, that might indicate to you the limitations of the grand. tall uprights can equal grands under six feet in amplitude, but a grand that size should have better resonance/sustain.

the main problems with baldwin hamiltons from that chinese factory (baldwin itself acquired a different factory in china, even before ceasing all its u.s. manufacturing, and stopped selling products from the factory that made the piano you saw) were basic quality control. who knows maybe twenty percent of their products were o.k. and you saw a piano that didn't have the typical flaws. a thorough inspection by a technician would rule out the possibility of problems existing or developing with the piano. if your piano teacher has played it, his/her opinion is easy to confirm. do you feel the piano is a big improvement over your kawai upright ? good used kawai verticals 48 in. and taller often sell for more than $3k. luck with your quest.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by huaidongxi

. if your piano teacher has played it, his/her opinion is easy to confirm. do you feel the piano is a big improvement over your kawai upright ? good used kawai verticals 48 in. and taller often sell for more than $3k. luck with your quest.

She does not remember it, which is not surprising as she plays at a lot of these private soirees. She offered to go play it and we may do that Friday.

The piano seems like an improvement in that the action is obviously newer, and fresher, just as I notice my 1979 Kawai getting more sluggish. It's been a bit of a struggle of late. A tech suggested he do some work fixing the fallback point on the keys which he noticed was uneven when he tuned last. I couldn't make up my mind if the piano was worth the 200-300 for the work.

The piano was neither bright like a Yamaha nor mellow like a Kawai but somewhere in between. Yeah I was in bad shape but felt obligated to show up and not be just another craigslist flake.

Now I wish I had the opportunity to play more grands because I just don't have much to compare it with. If it's like my teacher's Petrof, it has a bellish sound when in tune but not the bass that the Kawai has.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
probably everyone here would advise you that the best thing you could do if you did have the time and opportunities, go out and look at, play, as many small/medium sized grands in your budget that seem promising. only way to learn how different individual pianos are and which differences are most important to you. a decent grand action should be a significant improvement over a worn out upright action, but its tonal response to your touch should also enchant and seduce you. have fun and good luck.

C
OP Offline
C
Unfortunately I am in the very same piano desert made famous in Grand Obsession. In fact, there is one less piano dealer here now since Lucien Hut passed.

I admit the tone did not knock me out but I am interested in learning on a grand action. But I have too many other issues to pursue this right now so it's just as well.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission