2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
I hypothesized that the piano action is part of the solution for uber fast repeated Der Erlkonig octaves.

This Knabe was amazing - I never let the key rebound more than about 1/2 it's stroke - the key was around 1/2 stroke at the top of the cycle.

It was a 6' 6" for sale and it was not rebuilt - only hammers were ground. Dampers look gnarly. But it had a half decent tone (if I had this piano, I wouldn't be looking for another one.)

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I had a 1902 6-4 Knabe until the block failed. It had the old type Knabe action with the springs on top. My tech told me that parts aren't available for that action.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Hammer weight is the predominant factor in the inertia felt when playing a piano action. Also, older pianos in general,(prior to WW2), had lighter hammers than most newer pianos. Lower inertia means the return speed of the action is faster. It is also faster to depress the keys as well so the static touch weight must be proportioned to the feel of the inertia to allow ease of pianissimo control. And of course the brilliance of the hammer felt can affect the pianists impression of ease at the start of the key motion.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
M
OP Offline
M
Block failed, bummer. I looked up the Block on a generic action schematic and it appears to be wooden. Ultimately, any wooden part can be fabricated. Getting the proper kind of wood would probably be the hardest part.

Light hammers: this is very interesting. There is no doubt piano design evolves, however, from a high performance point of view, going to heavier hammers seems the wrong direction - at least for speed. A heavier hammer with more inertia would provide more feel and allow better volume control?

A friend who has a lot of pianos, gave me advice to NOT buy a piano UNLESS I really love it. I think this is a good idea since flipping a piano is difficult near Pittsburgh, nor do I have the space to have a newly acquired and the one I'm selling.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Heavier hammer provide a slower feel to the action. Thus finding out through your fingertips how fast the hammer is going takes a fraction of a second longer. Mass slow down the feel at all key speeds, and slows the keys return. The mass in the hammer, because of the leverage the action geometry contains, is the biggest factor in sensing the inertia of the action overall.

What are you referring to when you mention "block"? Tuning pin-block? If that is failing you will need the services of a rebuilder. Fitting a pin-block to a piano is not for the amateur.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Does the block have loose pins, or is it cracked?

If it's the former, it may be possible to breathe some life into it. Search on "CA Glue Treatment" here on PW.

If it's cracked, replacement is not a job for the faint hearted, but the popular Reblitz book (Piano Servicing, Tuning and Rebuilding For the Professional, the Student, and the Hobbyist) has instructions. If you're resourceful and courageous, you could replace it yourself. Pin block wood is available, just search online.

I always chuckle when I see your ID. It reminds me of some friends of mine who--when we were young--used to earn spending money by creosoting barns and fences. It was such dirty work that they never even tried to wash their clothes. They'd buy clothes at a thrift shop and just discard them when they were done wearing them. sick

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
That was my 1902 Knabe -- The block was de-laminating and chips falling down into the action. It was open an open block, more difficult and expensive to replace than the newer covered blocks. Hollywood Piano took it as a trade-in and I bought a new 1929 Knabe.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
Hollywood Piano took it as a trade-in and I bought a new 1929 Knabe.

I like the idea of buying new vintage pianos wink

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission