2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (fullerphoto, admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
Greetings everyone(or any people may read this thread),im a new member here and i have some questions. First of all i play the keyboard for about 2 months now and the problem is that im doing this the "self-taught" way. I have experience of 4 years with classic guitar(with teacher) and another 4 with elctric guitar self-taught. That being said, i started playing arpeggios right away on the keyboard and any song that could find.After one and a half month of not completing any song with both hands i started taking things more seriously. I started studying again music theory because ive forgotten most of it(anything that i was learning the past years was from tabs). This week i learned this song: amelie comptine d'un autre été. Ive learned it in a week with no problems in speed but i noticed i had some problems at first with hand independance and after some time i had pain on my left wrist (only while playing). I would like to know what grade is the piece supposed to be(althought i know in keyboards is easier) and how could i judge my self to know my exact grade.Also what i can do as a self taught to learn hand independance reading sheets more clever and have right hand placements?(i try to observe as much as i can pro players on youtube). At last im buying a digital piano(roland fp50) in 2 months(they keyboard is my cousin's) and i wanted to know what i need to know except the pedals and the key pressure that ill have to learn.Sorry for the long post and i dont know if i should post it in separate secions or if i wrote any irrelevant info. Thanks in advance smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, GreyMatters smile

Let me be the first (as I'm sure many will follow) to tell you to get a teacher. Is that at all possible? At least to get you started out 'right'. 'Teaching' yourself, you run the risk of collecting a lot of bad habits, even injuring yourself. I think your pain might be evidence of just that.

There is more to piano playing than knowing the notes or finding them on the keyboard. Your previous experience on guitar might help you out in reading sheets (I really don't know anything about guitar), but is of little or no use to you in playing the piano as such. It does not matter if you want to play classical or modern music, you still need to know the basics of techniques.

If a 'live teacher' is completely out of the question, you might have a look here: http://playingpianoblog.com/

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Must admit I`ve changed my thinking here. I`d agree; try for a teacher to teach you the best way of reading and playing music. And sitting, and holding your arms/hands/fingers in the best way. And relieving you of excess funds keeping the stuff in circulation) . . . .

I been playing for years, but never got to play with music fluently. Eyesight problems have a bearing on this, but the time wasted learning a piece (in my case) is just that. Time wasted.

Be fluent! Get a teacher! Too late for me, but not for you.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
+2. Get a teacher before your pain and bad habits get chronic or even force you to stop.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
G
OP Offline
G
Thank you for your answer Jytte.Im familiar with the importance of a teacher but I am in my third year of my university studies(computer science-irrelevant to music) and i cant afford a teacher or have the time. The only help i can get from face to face is back im my home where i go every two months.Would that be enough to get started 'right'?

As you said playing the piano is more than "two or three words" and i strongly agree and because im not entierly new to music i am trying my best to do everything right...or at least i think so..

Reading sheets in fa key is a little confusing but im getting used to it.Thank you for the link and also is it too early too think about technique? Or i am just being bigheaded?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It is NEVER too early to think about technique. That should be the very first thing you think about. Hence the link smile
Take it from someone who spent the first many months with my teacher (from above link) trying to correct bad posture, bad hands, bad fingers, and bad habits in general, because I did what you did, trying to teach myself.

I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
I will go against the flow here...

Since you're young and you have plenty of experience with another instrument, if your only goal is to play pop/rock, New Age or other non classical music, I think you can do it by yourself. Just relax and listen to your body, move in the easiest and most natural way and your posture will be okay. Also, don't practice too much, no more than half an hour at a time. Not everybody acquires bad habits. But you need to be very disciplined, watch a lot of videos, read about the best practicing techniques, make videos of yourself, listen to yourself a lot... Also, a method book can be very helpful and provide direction, something with a mix of classical and non classical pieces and some theory too, like the Alfred's adult course or something similar.

As for the piece you learned, it is quite difficult if it's the original version. Intermediate at least. But it has lot of repetition and some people find this kind of music easier than others, once you learn the patterns and progressions.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
The pain in your left wrist is dangerous. Find a way to change your technique so you don't experience pain when playing. You might want to go to a teacher temporarily to get some outside and experienced eyes to look at this.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
G
OP Offline
G
Well i actually like almost any kind of music out there and i find jazz songs very hard at piano. The rock/pop songs were just easier for me to begin with but i sure want to learn some classic pieces as i listen lots of them too.Also like jazz blues but ive seen some extreme techniques there too so im not touching any song from there yet.
Although i wouldnt consider myself as a disciplined person generally but when it comes to music or anything that i love i just want to do it right.I actually find practicing quite fun so even if i have to do a pattern 100 times ill just do it. The days of the week im more loose i play about 3 hours but the rest of the days just 1 hour.
If i have the chance ill ask face to face a teacher and ill try to do some things others said above because i want it to get it right. Thanks for the encouragment though. smile
Also what would be some other good books for picking the right difficulty for me? I dont want to get stuck with a song that i cant get throught..

Last edited by GreyMatters; 11/14/16 11:47 AM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Here is a book that I would suggest for you.

It is book 1 of a series of 5 books that I think will take you right to the exact thing you wish to do. IF YOU DO WHAT IT TELLS YOU TO DO.

https://www.amazon.com/Chord-Play-A...mp;psc=1&refRID=DGMAYWHPTEZBR3A1A0T4

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
G
OP Offline
G
Thank you for the recommendation. I will try my best. smile

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by GreyMatters
Thank you for the recommendation. I will try my best. smile

Just a word of caution ....

If you skip through it just turning pages ... thinking ... OH, I know that stuff ...you might get to the end and you still cannot play anything.

You need to admit that you need help and do what it tells you to do. You have a long, long road ahead of you. There is no such thing as hurrying to get there faster. If you do, you will be back here again 6 months from now with the same problem.
Or ... worse yet ... you won't be back at all ... you will quit.

But, if you just forget about how fast you are going and just do what the books tells you to do ... you will slowly (and I mean, SLOWLY) get better and better. One day, you will be able to play all the things you wish to play. But not today.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
G
OP Offline
G
Thank you for the advise and i am working on it as a person. I often used to rush things and i am aware with the results of such actions.I also agree that one of the most important things is admitting i general(applies to anything).I am writing without having read the book yet but should i study only from the book at the beginning (until i finish it)or i should learn other pieces at the same time too to apply what i learn from the book(any book) to the pieces?

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by GreyMatters
Thank you for the advise and i am working on it as a person. I often used to rush things and i am aware with the results of such actions.I also agree that one of the most important things is admitting i general(applies to anything).I am writing without having read the book yet but should i study only from the book at the beginning (until i finish it)or i should learn other pieces at the same time too to apply what i learn from the book(any book) to the pieces?

My suggestion would be to make the book (series) your main source of practice. There are enough nice pieces of music in there to give you some beautiful music to learn. BUT (big but) you have to learn to play them well in order for them to sound good.

However, if you need something different periodically just to keep your sanity (lol ...) by all means try something just for fun.

Don

T
T
Don, I really like the idea of the Chord Play books.

How successful are they likely to be for someone who, putting it mildly, has had difficulty nailing down which keys/fingers go with which notes? I took lessons about a decade ago but had to stop because of lack of practice time. Now facing semiretirement at 71, I'd like to go back. But I remember how hard it was for me to look at the music and then find the right keys, especially in the bass clef.

Also, not to hijack the thread, but how would you suggest finding a good teacher who appreciates older students and will come to the home? None of our friends play piano.

Thanks for your -- and anybody else's -- help.

Avery

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Baseball guy
Don, I really like the idea of the Chord Play books.

How successful are they likely to be for someone who, putting it mildly, has had difficulty nailing down which keys/fingers go with which notes? I took lessons about a decade ago but had to stop because of lack of practice time. Now facing semiretirement at 71, I'd like to go back. But I remember how hard it was for me to look at the music and then find the right keys, especially in the bass clef.

Also, not to hijack the thread, but how would you suggest finding a good teacher who appreciates older students and will come to the home? None of our friends play piano.

Avery

Well, you need to know which keys on the keyboard are to be played when you see a note on a staff of music.

Which finger to use is of no real consequence.

Finding a teacher ...

Well, if you have a music store in your home town, I would ask there.

If not, then you might take lessons (via Skype) using your computer and the internet. I do that.

There are also websites that you can subscribe to that will help you move along.

Or DVD's with course material ...

No shortage of options.

Don

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Something to think about: I'm sure there are many wonderful books etc one can learn from. Bear in mind though, that a teacher (in any form) can see where/if you go wrong, and correct you. A book will never do that.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Jytte
Something to think about: I'm sure there are many wonderful books etc one can learn from. Bear in mind though, that a teacher (in any form) can see where/if you go wrong, and correct you. A book will never do that.

Absolutely the best option.

Don

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Baseball guy

Avery

Finding a teacher that will come to your home will probably be difficult. But there are many that teach via Skype or similar ways.

On reading... there are no 'fingers' that go with any notes. But relating the 'dots on the sheet' to 'keys of piano' just takes practice. NoteCard is an easy way to start.

V
V

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission