2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
ascc40 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi all, I'm currently working on setting the temperament aurally, I have a 5'3" yamaha, and I've been working on C3-B3.

Came across something strange and did not know what to do

The C3 is a copper winding bass string, does that affect the beating speed in relation to the treble strings? Because when I first tuned the whole octave to tune lab, I went ahead and listened to the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th. it seems like the beating speed is always out of sequence when comparing to the neighboring intervals (usually faster than it should be).

Should I trust tune lab or should I trust my ears? This is to get ready for the RPT exam.
Thanks!

David Chiu
Alaska Piano Services
Concert technican/Rebuilder
N
N
That's a normal occurrence at the change from plain to wrapped strings, because there's usually (always?) a change in inharmonicity between the two. This means that only some, not all, of your tests will be able to have a smooth progression.

You need to trust your ear - keep in mind the master tuning you are graded against is determined aurally - but since not all tests will agree you have to understand which ones are more important. For C3 that's going to be your 4th, 5th, and octave (check both the 2:4 and 6:3 octaves).

Also, are you planning to use C3-B3 as your temperament octave? If so that's unusually low, and will surely cause you problems if your practice piano has a break there. You really want to keep your temperament on the plain strings (granted on spinets this is sometimes not practical).

Edit: if any of the terminology I'm using doesn't make sense don't hesitate to ask...

Last edited by Nathan M., RPT; 11/22/16 05:15 PM.

Nathan Monteleone, Piano Technician
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
I use beat speed windows. The trade off is the octave may suffer but the benefit is pure 11/12/22 and maybe 19.

Using a 4/5/8 criteria is too limited for me because I want the big chords to sound in tune. I.e the 4/5/8 might not be offensive but the 12/22 could be awful.

Here's how I would tune C3. (You have to tune the whole piano like this for it to work)

G#3C4 <= G#3C5 < G#3C6 = G#3F4 = C3G#3
M3 <= M10 < M17 = M6 = m6 down

This window sets all these intervals and/or confirms their size. Very powerful because pitch is always sliding around on the piano and in this way, I catch a lot of drifters.

M3 <= M10 (pure or wide 4:2, whatever fits)
M10 < M17 (wide 2:1)
M17 = M6 (pure 12th)
M6 = m6 down (pure 11th)
M10 = m6 down (pure 22nd triple octave)
M3 < M17 (wide 4:1 double octave)
M10 < M6 (narrow fifth)
M17 = m6 down (pure 22 triple octave)
M3 < M6 (wide fourth)
M10 < m6 down (narrow 8:2 double octave)
M3 < m6 down (narrow 8:4)

If the octave also tests as a pure 6:3, possible on many pianos (within aural limits) you can also have a pure 19th.

Last edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT; 11/22/16 06:01 PM.
N
N
Hmm the thing is on the exam, you tune C3-B4 as a section, then that is scored before you proceed. So C6 isn't going to be available; technically C5 won't either although I suppose you could go ahead and tune it...

N
N
Oh and just to be clear, when I say to do the 4:2 and 6:3 octave checks, I mean the fast beating ones, i.e. g#2c3 to g#2c4 and c3d#3 to d#3c4. You do of course have to rough in g#2 for that to work.

M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Yes, but you still have the "Little Window"; M3 <= M6 = m6 down. That "sets up" the eventual larger window for all those pure intervals. I just love tuning this way. It is like I am imagining what I want the piano to sound like, what intervals will be in tune and then work backwards from that.

Last edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT; 11/22/16 08:46 PM.
N
N
I'm having a hard time puzzling out how one could tune equal temperament with both pure 11ths and pure 12ths... Wouldn't an 11th (octave + 4th) fundamentally have to be wider than a 12th (octave + 5th)?

EDIT: Oh, I think I get it. The pure 11th is lower than the pure 12th -- you're tapering from wider intervals in the bass to narrower ones in the treble, as most tunings do?

At any rate,

Originally Posted by ascc
This is to get ready for the RPT exam.

Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
I use beat speed windows. The trade off is the octave may suffer but the benefit is pure 11/12/22 and maybe 19.

I have no doubt this produces a beautiful, musically useful tuning. But I must stress that compromising the octaves will probably cost you points on the tuning exam. They're looking for clean sounding octaves in the midrange, usually right around pure at the 4:2 level, perhaps a little wider toward the bottom -- but definitely no wider than 6:3 anywhere, even in the bass! They're not doing this as a statement against compromising the octaves to make other intervals sound better, it's just a way of keeping the exam objective. If any CTEs are reading, perhaps you can chime in on this?

Last edited by Nathan M., RPT; 11/22/16 11:09 PM.

A
ascc40 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Wow this is a lot of information to chew on, I truly appreciate all the inputs, I'm going to experiment On the suggested tunings here, very excited!

David Chiu
Alaska Piano Services
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Perhaps we could summarise by saying that you should try to trust your ears, but be aware that M3rd, M6th and M10th progressions through the area of the piano that you are proposing for the temperament may not be progressive due to the inharmonicity changes associated with different string types and the break. For this reason it is better to restrict the temperament area to plain steel strings in which even progression will then be an indicator of a good equal temperament. As Nathan said, the priority is to ensure clean sounding octaves as you expand.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi all, I'm currently working on setting the temperament aurally, I have a 5'3" yamaha, and I've been working on C3-B3.

Came across something strange and did not know what to do

The C3 is a copper winding bass string, does that affect the beating speed in relation to the treble strings? Because when I first tuned the whole octave to tune lab, I went ahead and listened to the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th. it seems like the beating speed is always out of sequence when comparing to the neighboring intervals (usually faster than it should be).

Should I trust tune lab or should I trust my ears? This is to get ready for the RPT exam.
Thanks!

Ascc, you came across something I think is very important, rarely talked about and misunderstood: How does the bass/tenor scaling break affect the beatrates of the tuning intervals? If a reasonable octave is used on a typical piano, you can expect the M3s and M6s that straddle the break to beat faster than the ones wholly above and below the break, while the m3s and m6s will be slower.

Consider the iH curve on this Ludwig 5' grand, which is typical:

[Linked Image]

Notice how the lowest strings of the tenor have a higher iH? This means their upper partials will also be much higher resulting in slower M3s and M6s above the break and faster M3s across the break.

Now consider the iH on this Wurlitzer 4'10" grand, which is not typical (Btw, tuning one of these is a memorable experience...):

[Linked Image]

Here the upper strings of the bass have a higher iH than the lowest part of the tenor. With reasonable octaves, you can expect the M3s and M6s across the break to be slower than the ones wholly below the break.

So here is the thing to remember. You can't expect a smooth progression of RBIs across a scaling break. It is best to set the temperament wholly above the break, for that matter, don't use the bottom two notes above the break.

If this makes the RBIs in the temperament octave beat too fast to be able to discern, consider tuning the temperament within just a tempered fifth then expand this upward with 4ths and 5ths. There may be errors that will need to be corrected as further checks are made, but that can be expected regardless of the temperament octave.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
N
N
Thanks Jeff, I think those kinds of charts are the best way to understand what's going on at the break.

By the way, exam pianos have to meet pretty tight requirements designed to keep these factors to a minimum. For ex. I'm fairly sure they have to have all plain strings in the mid section. So ironically the exam pianos are usually much better behaved than the ones we practice on wink

Last edited by Nathan M., RPT; 11/23/16 12:43 PM.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nathan M., RPT
Thanks Jeff, I think those kinds of charts are the best way to understand what's going on at the break.

By the way, exam pianos have to meet pretty tight requirements designed to keep these factors to a minimum. For ex. I'm fairly sure they have to have all plain strings in the mid section. So ironically the exam pianos are usually much better behaved than the ones we practice on wink

Not only better than the ones we practice on, but better than the vast majority of pianos that are tuned! So is the purpose of the test to show proficiency or to gain credentials? (I took and passed my exam before ETDs were invented, but even then found little use for the credential and let my membership expire.)

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
A
ascc40 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Jeff, you have no idea how those charts solved one of the most confusing thing thats been bothering me: how is it that sometimes I'm tuning a spinet piano according to tune lab, the lower octaves still sound terrible even if tune lab says its in tune (yes I do measure the inharmonicity before I start). much appreciated

David Chiu
Alaska Piano Services
N
N
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Not only better than the ones we practice on, but better than the vast majority of pianos that are tuned! So is the purpose of the test to show proficiency or to gain credentials? (I took and passed my exam before ETDs were invented, but even then found little use for the credential and let my membership expire.)

The point of using a good piano is to keep the exam as fair and objective as possible. Uneven scaling certainly makes a piano harder to tune, but it also makes it harder to prove that the examinee made an error! The idea is to show proficiency by pricing you can control what you're doing.

Disclaimer: I'm just speaking from personal experience and what I've read. I'm not a tuning examiner.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ah, well, lower octaves on a spinet. Can I suggest that you tune the first string of each bichord to both the 5th and the 8th above, like G2 to D3 and G3, playing all three notes at once? Listen for the best resonance. The partials tend to be all over the place and so specific octaves and their tests can be a shot in the dark. For the single strings, just aurally tune the octave best you can.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
A
ascc40 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
So if I'm just practicing for setting the temperament of c3-b4 not worrying about the rest of the Piano yet, should I just try to have w/e option that gives the cleaner octave?

David Chiu
Alaska Piano Services
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A clean octave is a subjective thing, and with a would string sometimes you can only go for a less bad, rather than a more good, option. See, with an octave there are many audible partial matches, and it can be hard to decide what sounds clean, especially across a break.

Myself, because I am a 4ths and 5ths tuner, I strive to make those intervals sound good and consistent. If the result is a bad octave, then I know there is a tuning error somewhere.

But, hey, if you are just practicing, why not tune C#3-C5?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Dear ascc,
You have a great opportunity to expand your understanding of relative inharmonicity!
I'm assuming that C#3 is a plain wire string. If not, transpose my suggestion to the first adjacent wound and plainwire notes.

Wedging off unisons so you have one open string of C3 and one of C#3, try to tune them as a unison (tune C# down to C.)

Now the inharmonicity of the plain wire will be much higher, relative to the wound string. You will not get a clean unison. You will be able to chase beats up and down the partial series, but only one pair will be beatless. As you do this, try aural test intervals, comparing the beat speeds between the two strings. The results should show you that the frequency differences between the partials of the plain wire are greater than the comparable differences on the wound string.
You can also try tuning various intervals from the two strings as C3, octaves, fifths, thirds, etc., to see how the greater relative inharmonicity influences the tuning.
No end to this quest! Have fun! You will understand a lot more about tuning when you're done.
Ed Sutton

Ed Sutton, RPT
Just an old retired piano tuner!
Durham NC USA
A
ascc40 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ohhhh I totally misread the exam notes, i thought they want us to tune c3 to b4, but it's actually any 13 consecutive notes within that range of keys... I think I'll try either d3-d4 or f3-f4 and avoid the wound strings

Do you all think it's safe to reference TuneLab as a "master tuning" when I'm checking my temperament?

Ed, yes! as of right now it feels like a headache but I'm sure it will be very rewarding at the end. To actually UNDERSTAND the tuning rather than just following what's on the acreen

Last edited by ascc; 11/26/16 08:17 PM.

David Chiu
Alaska Piano Services
N
N
Ohhhh I totally misread the exam notes, i thought they want us to tune c3 to b4, but it's actually any 13 consecutive notes within that range of keys... I think I'll try either d3-d4 or f3-f4 and avoid the wound strings

Well, you tune the entire midrange (c3-b4) in one uninterrupted block of time. However, the temperament octave is scored separately from the rest of the midrange. You get to specify which octave you want scored as your temperament -- if I remember right the temperament notes end up counting for more as far as your overall score goes. You don't even have to decide until after you're done tuning the midrange, so you're allowed to pick a section outside of your original temperament octave if you think you really nailed it.

My personal suggestion would be to settle on the temperament octave you're going to use long before you take the exam and have all your checks nailed down. IMO trying to game it by picking which section you did best after the fact is going to be a problematic distraction.

Do you all think it's safe to reference TuneLab as a "master tuning" when I'm checking my temperament?

In my personal experience, no! I actually was doing this for a while when I was preparing, and came to find out (after reviewing my tunings with RPT's in my chapter) that my ear was closer to the exam spec than TuneLab's calculated octaves. Again, that's not a judgment about which tuning is "better" (personally I think they both have their own merits). It may be possible to fiddle with the octave sizes in the TuneLab settings to get you closer to an exam tuning, but in my experience that was an uphill battle. I did however find TuneLab very useful for checking the evenness of my tuning.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission