2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Hello, I've bought my Yamaha P-45 around 7 months ago and the keys I use the most started to do some plastic clicking noise upon laying my finger on it (though I don't have to press the key down fully in order to generate the noise). I'm really worried about this since this is my first digital piano and I don't know what happens next, thr last thing I would want is to give the piano back for maintenance.

Would this issue become worse in the future and is it going to affect the key sensitivity and weight or is it just going to be a noise issue?

Did anyone experince such a thing before?
Thanks in advance.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Contact your Yamaha to find a certified tech in your area. This should be covered under warranty.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
Warranty was only half a year so I guess it's already out, that's why I would rather find a solution myself or just let it be if this is not going to harm anything.

After googling the issue I saw that there are some Yamaha users who suffered from the same issue after heavy use of some of the keys, but I've never gotten to know what happened next. It's not an issue with the contact pads, the clicking noise happens once my finger touches the key as if you touch a screw that's not tied properly (although the weight and touch sensitivity haven't been affected so far, it's just the noise). If there's a way to record it and post it here, please tell me.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
The usual cause with the plastic actions is one of: the felts wearing, the grease dispersing, a key plastic part breaking. The GHS action uses springs, metal or plastic, so one of them can break too. Open it up and have a look of you don't want to take it to a repair shop. Use a camera to record the sequence so you can get it back together. In the US you should be able to get a replacement part direct from Yamaha, maybe even the grease.

GHS action uses cantilever spring action; part of the plastic from which the key is formed, and it`s reliable. On my DGX wnich had heavy use, I detected a slight clickiness to the initial impact of the key; almost inaudible and I never bothered with it. It`s a good way to detect how much use the instrument has had.

forget it unless it`s intrusive. My wife never noticed mine. I`m surprised it`s only g`teed for 6 months.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
OP Offline
A
I will record the generated plastic sound of the keys once I get home and post it on youtube and link it to you guys. It cannot be a coincidence that the keys I use the most generate the same plasticy sound. The piano was never moved around so it can hardly be something that's broken. The noise doesn't bother me, what does is worrying if this is going to affect the keys any further somehow. However, I will record it and post it here once I'm able to.

Last edited by AndrewMouris; 11/28/16 05:23 AM.
A
OP Offline
A
https://youtu.be/PpD_yb4kY34

Here's the video, as clearly shown the C and the D notes are the ones making the plastic noise, compared to the G and the A notes. So, what does this noise replicate?

M
M
Doesn't Yamaha have a one year warranty?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
At their store here in Egypt, some of the products have 6 months warranty, most of them have a one year and the very expensive ones have 5 years warranty. Unfortunately, my DP has only 6 months warranty.

Last edited by AndrewMouris; 11/28/16 09:44 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by AndrewMouris

Here's the video, as clearly shown the C and the D notes are the ones making the plastic noise, compared to the G and the A notes. So, what does this noise replicate?

Is it possible the plastic cap on top of the key has become slightly unglued?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
I have no idea, if so, is it going to be worse?

M
M
I have no idea, if so, is it going to be worse?

No, but if that is the case I'd think it's a relatively easy fix that may not even entail opening up the case, or if so, very limited.

Can you see if there is any separation at all of the key top from the base? Maybe shine a flashlight through one side?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
I guess there is nothing seperated from the other compared to the rest of the keys.

M
M
Personally, I'd take it to a Yamaha certified repairman and have them deal with it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is unacceptable. The thunking o` the other keys was normal. Take it back.

"[Linked Image]"
A
OP Offline
A
Alright, I will however need more opinions about this before making my last verdict. Did anyone experince the same issue?

Last edited by AndrewMouris; 11/28/16 12:54 PM.
You do right. Only thing I can think of, is maybe it was used as a shop display model, attracting a lot of activity, if the middle keys are giving the bother, that is.

"[Linked Image]"
A
OP Offline
A
The only thing I'm sure of is that it was never used that way as I had to pre order it and wait as it wasn't available at their store at all. The piano is already out of warranty and I'm willing to live with the noise if it's just going to be a noise issue, not something bigger. This issue starting happening after 7 months of use by the way, appearing on thr keys I use the most such as the C and the D notes and three keys by the second-left octave.

Last edited by AndrewMouris; 11/28/16 01:10 PM.
A
OP Offline
A
Guys, I still need immediate help with this issue! The noise got slightly worse and started appearing on another key that I use a lot. Does the keys have any screws inside it the may get loose? As it sounds as if there is a screw wibbling inside as I touch the key.
Please help as much as you can!

Here is a link to the video I recorded of the noise that was a month ago:

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
It's been a while since I took apart my GHS action but there aren't typically any screws holding things together. That doesn't mean there isn't something loose or misaligned or broken though. If you are handy, there are a lot of YouTube videos showing GHS disassembles to replace broken action or keys, I would start there so you can get an idea of what the mechanism is and what might be wrong. It's actually pretty simple and replacement parts aren't hard to come by.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission