2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
P
Thanks CyberGene and newer player, i just did a full re- download,.......

S
S
Did anybody have the chance to compare the CFX with the Ravenscroft side by side with the same speakers and headphones?

P
P
Just seen this news, has made my day smile

Downloading it now, looking forward to having a play. Will record some pedal-complex demos at my CFX YouTube Channel soon.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hey everybody! The lite version seems very tempting to me. However, I have listened to the demos and I'm wondering if the resonances are there, like in pianoteq, and if the playability is comparable.
How do the CFX and the newer pianoteq instruments compare?
Philip, I know you were looking for other VSTs worth testing. Have you tried the Pianoteq Bluethner/ Model B / Grotrian? What are your impressions?
And CyberGene, what about you?
Anybody else who's had a chance for a direct comparison?
I realize this is a matter of taste, but I think it's worth sharing impressions.

The resonances in the Bluethner, Model B and Grotrian in pianoteq feel incredibly real. Ok, maybe the timber/ tonal realism isn't as great as the one of the CFX, but a big part of what makes me feel like I'm playing a real piano is the pedal response, resonances and the realism of the velocity response/dynamic range. Pianoteq has these spot on.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by mcoll
Hey everybody! The lite version seems very tempting to me. However, I have listened to the demos and I'm wondering if the resonances are there, like in pianoteq, and if the playability is comparable.
Philip, I know you were looking for other VSTs worth testing. Have you tried the Pianoteq Bluethner/ Model B / Grotrian? What are your impressions?
I realize this is a matter of taste, but I think it's worth sharing impressions.

The resonances in the Bluethner, Model B and Grotrian in pianoteq feel incredibly real. Ok, maybe the timber/ tonal realism isn't as great as the one of the CFX, but a big part of what makes me feel like I'm playing a real piano is the pedal response, resonances and the realism of the velocity response/dynamic range. Pianoteq has these spot on.

If you want to go with CFX then order full piano not lite. I dont like how the lite version sounds, it reminds me of pianos vst ten years ago. Samples pianos including CFX cant be compared to playability and functionality of Pianoteq.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by slobajudge
Samples pianos including CFX cant be compared to playability and functionality of Pianoteq.

But this is a Garritan CFX update thread. Why are you posting about Pianoteq? Anything we should know?

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Samples pianos including CFX cant be compared to playability and functionality of Pianoteq.

But this is a Garritan CFX update thread. Why are you posting about Pianoteq? Anything we should know?

Read again previous post.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
@dire tonic - it was in response to a question I asked for a comparison between the CFX and pianoteq. I want everybody's impression who had a chance to compare them. There is no right or wrong answer, just personal preferences and maybe some comparison of specific aspects (resonances, pedal, realism of the response in relation with the different velocities etc.).

Thank you for the answer, slobajudge!
Anyone else feels like the question I posted was inappropriate in a CFX thread?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Read again previous post.

I'm aware that posters have their preferences but I wonder if you don't see it as irresponsible to be making a statement quite so definitive as:-
CFX cant be compared to playability and functionality of Pianoteq

- given that those not acquainted with either product might be making purchasing decisions based on your post?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I think that things like "it is my impression", "I feel like" etc. are already implied for anybody reading on a forum. I don't believe it's worth arguing semantics.
If you feel otherwise, it would be a better use of time and forum space to say "I think otherwise. CFX/ (other preferred VST) plays just as realistic as pianoteq. That is just as valid an opinion.
No offence intended.

Last edited by mcoll; 11/28/16 10:06 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I think that things like "it is my impression", "I feel like" etc. are already implied for anybody reading on a forum. I don't believe it's worth arguing semantics.
If you feel otherwise, it would be a better use of time and forum space to say "I think otherwise. CFX/ (other preferred VST) plays just as realistic as pianoteq. That is just as valid an opinion.

No need for you to concern yourself with my time and we have space aplenty.

More to the point, Sloba has a habit of presenting this same message repeatedly. For some, and unrefuted, this could make it read more like a fact.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I like Garritan CFX, also VSL Vienna imperial, the tone of this piano is beautiful. But I say my opinion, there is no sample piano on this planet that can be compared with full functionality and playability of Pianoteq. And not because I work for Modartt which I am not and not because it is my wish. This is based on very simple fact: Pianoteq doesn`t have leyers or any other limitations for full dynamics and pedals. That doesn`t mean that Garritan CFX is not a good product, because it is. It is a matter of preference and technical stuff that surround it. If I go to desert island I know what piano is going with me.

Last edited by slobajudge; 11/28/16 10:14 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I like Garritan CFX, also VSL Vienna imperial, the tone of this piano is beautiful. But I say my opinion, there is no sample piano on this planet that can be compared with full functionality and playability of Pianoteq. And not because I work for Modartt which I am not and not because it is my wish. This is based on very simple fact: Pianoteq doesn`t have leyers or any other limitations for full dynamics and pedals. That doesn`t mean that Garritan CFX is not a good product, because it is. It is a matter of preference and technical stuff that surround it.

-ok sloba - that's considerably more measured than what I feel has been conveyed in some of your more recent posts.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

More to the point, Sloba has a habit of presenting this same message repeatedly. For some, and unrefuted, this could make it read more like a fact.

No more then you. Do we need to count how much you give a credit to CFX till now ? I repeat only if someone need opinion about something. Belive me, I am very dedicated to have the best, sampling or modeling doesn`t matter.

Last edited by slobajudge; 11/28/16 10:20 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

No more then you. Do we need to count how much you give a credit to CFX till now ? I repeat only if someone need opinion about something. Belive me, I am very dedicated to have the best, sampling or modeling doesn`t matter.

I've certainly often sung CFX's praises in threads relevant to the CFX or sampling. I don't recall ever having claimed CFX to be more 'playable' than Pianoteq. I don't think I've posted in a Pianoteq thread (not sure!).
Incidentally, for me, the best of the sample libraries are every bit as playable as good quality/well-maintained upright and grand pianos. I don't need extra playablity.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Well, CFX Lite has become my main piano and that speaks for itself. In the very beginning I was slightly disappointed due to a bug I found with the undamped high notes as well as the very short repedaling window. However the bug was very promptly fixed by Garritan after a great communication with their main developer Jeff Hurchalla and is included in their latest download/update. Jeff also described to me how I can reconfigure the repedaling behavior, so I tweaked it to my liking and now CFX Lite is such a playable instrument! I am really in love with it and I prefer it to my ES7 main sound.

I own Pianoteq and can compare them. As I have described multiple times, I am one of those people that can't really stand the modeled piano timbre. Yes, it is really playable. Yes, it is really tweakable. Yes, Grotrian is their best model. But I can't just fool myself into beleveing it frown And I really want to, but that's my ears. As I've said multiple times: I envy people who like Pianoteq. I just can't frown

CFX Lite is a bargain! I am considering upgrading to the full version because of the headphone perspectives (dummy head mics) but even the included one in the Lite is already excellent one and I can play it for hours with great joy without being bothered.

There are still some negatives:
- The pedal resonance is not heard if you apply the pedal after you've played the notes. You can hear the resonance only when you first pressed the pedal and then played the notes. The resonance is really beautiful and I find it very realistic for the simple reason it is the real piano resonance (pedal up and pedal down samples included). I don't find this bug very critical but nevertheless it is one step off the perfection. I wouldn't need anything more from CFX if they manage to implement this behavior.
- The pianissimos could have been a little bit softer and darker. In that respect Vintage D is slightly better but as I've mentioned in another thread Vintage D has major issues with half-pedaling and they said a developer is taking a look but I haven't heard from them afterwards and I doubt it they will fix it.
- The original piano tuning is somehow overstretched and if I play some large intervals such as two-octave-and-a-major-third in the higher octaves, I can hear some slightly irritating beating. This can be improved by reducing the stretch but I guess the stretch knob shouldn't be touched because it will deteriorate the sample replay quality. (Can anyone confirm this?)

In summary: I really love CFX Lite and that's a purchase I am really happy with.

P.S. If someone needs to experiment with longer repedaling window, here's my custom config:

Backup the /Library/Application Support/Garritan/CFX Lite/Programs/CFX_Lite_Full.sfz (not sure what's the corresponding folder for Windows though), then open the file, and find a line that's similar to the one that follows. The one that follows contains my custom settings for repedaling:
Code
<midi>
  type=com.Garritan.Piano.MIDI.Preprocessor
  vendor_specific=298|1|299|0|296|24|297|64|295|7|301|0.020|302|0.020|303|0.020|304|0.020|305|0.030|306|0.040|307|0.050

Last edited by CyberGene; 11/28/16 12:25 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

Incidentally, for me, the best of the sample libraries are every bit as playable as good quality/well-maintained upright and grand pianos. I don't need extra playablity.

Like I said, it is a fact that is inside a program itself.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Thank you very much, CyberGene!
I did indeed read your posts about the bug. You did a great job signalling it!
Thank you very much for the extensive comparison, that's the kind of comparison that I was looking for.
I'm still debating with myself what to buy. The Grotrian did come to my attention too. It's very good too. Wish I could test both.
The lite is very tempting, the full version is out of range for me.
If the resonances and response are "real enough", to quote Philip, than that would be amazing!

Great thing you posted the repedalling config - I've seen unrealistically short repedalling in some other cases and it's like it doesn't exist at all.

B
B
Hi, thanks for all the info. And also thanks for making my piano decision harder LOL! I was weighing the Native Instruments definitive collection (Grandeur/Maverick/Gentleman) vs a duo package from Addictive Keys (Studio Grand/Modern Upright), now this Lite version gets into the mix. I'm trying to keep things down to $100 or less, and obviously with this I'd be getting one piano vs two or three from the other packages....that said, I'd probably use a grand much more than the uprights. I do understand we are talking Yamaha vs Steinway as well but either is fine as long as it is playable and sounds nice!

Right now I just have the pianos in Logic and would love an upgrade.

Other than will this work well on my 2012 macbook pro with standard hard drive, and Mountain Lion OS (not going to Sierra just yet)--is the lack of the ambient mics really felt? I have reverb (in Logic pro) but when I hear "ambient mic" that makes me think of a more integral sound to the instrument, like recording drums in a live room vs a dry studio...very different sounds. Does that plus the single perspective account for smaller size, or is there a quality difference (read something about stretching, but not sure exactly if that is an option to turn on or a limitation...I'm not a sampled piano guru to say the least!)

Another question: are there limitations on number of computers/switching computers? I will be upgrading at some point and would love to avoid a hassle with licenses etc. I wouldn't anticipate one but doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge; 11/28/16 12:06 PM.
R
R
Garritan CFX lite is okay, i've always loved the character of the Yamaha and i grew up playing on Yamaha pianos. They have this growl in the lower-mid registers and a silky smooth slightly metallic sound in the upper-mids.

With that said, the CFX lite leaves me wanting more. I believe the full version fully captures that character i'm talking about.

I recently just bought the Ravenscroft and it was "love at first touch" for me. The online demos don't do it justice. It's simply gorgeous. It's my main piano now and i doubt i will be touching my other libraries anymore.

Not regretting buying the CFX lite though, but i still believe the full version is the way to go for anyone wanting to venture towards the CFX. Just my opinion.

Last edited by tdwctdwc; 11/28/16 12:15 PM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission