2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by JoBert
I'm not Pocomoto, but since I'm also affected by this, I contacted Kawai Germany about the MIDI bug (not the velocity issue) about a month ago and, since I hadn't heard back since then (except the usual "thanks for contacting us, we will look into it" confirmation), I contacted them again yesterday.

I got the reply that "their technicians are still working on it, but that the solution seems to be a bit more time intensive". While friendly and very prompt, the response was rather "boilerplate", TBH. I'm pretty sure that the German product manager who replied to me is not actually involved with the firmware development, so I don't know if that is actual feedback (i.e. if he actually contacted the dev team again, after my query from yesterday), or if it is indeed just some boilerplate that he sent back to placate a customer.

Well, Kawai does take into account issues that are brought up on this forum and get passed along to the dev team by Kawai James and those solutions do show up in firmware updates. So I think it's fair to say that they are indeed working on it and that's it's probably not an easy fix.

Just to make clear: Yes, I'm confident that Kawai is working on this. I'm not doubting that. I'm only unsure if the product manager's response included the roundtrip to development (I ask him, he asks the devs, they respond to him, he forwards the response to me) - especially taking into account the speed of his reply under the light of there being a big time difference to Japan and yesterday being a public holiday. So when I posted it here, I wanted to qualify his "this takes longer than planned" as likely not being a real feedback from the devs. But who knows, I may be wrong and the response was simply exceptionally prompt.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
P
OP Offline
P
I haven't heard anything, but I am not surprised for reasons others have already stated. Note for example the timing of the smaller issue with the MP11 that was recently fixed.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have some news:

Today I got an email from Kawai support with a new beta firmware for the CA97, to test if the MIDI issue is fixed.

And I'm happy that I can report that with all of the tests I did (including some lengthy playing) the MIDI bug indeed seems to be fixed!

Recap: The bug happened if you used MIDI-in via USB-to-host on the CA97 (it may also happen via normal MIDI-in, but I didn't test that). For me it happened in two (related) scenarios, both of those seem to be fixed:

Scenario 1: With the MIDI velocity mapper as described earlier in this thread. The mapper runs on a small PC (a netbook, to be precise) which is connected via USB to USB-to-host on the CA97. On the CA97, "Local Control" is set to "Off", so the CA97 only sends the MIDI events to the PC, where they are received by the mapper. The mapper modifies the velocity values in these events and then sends them back to the CA97, which generates the sound from them. After a short while of playing while using this setup, the piano goes mute. You have to switch it off and on again to restore it to working order.

Scenario 2: Same netbook, same USB connection. A background track software (ChordPulse) runs on the PC which generates the background track as MIDI events that are sent via USB to the CA97. The CA97 generates the sound for the background track (i.e. the background track is not routed via line-in!). At the same time, you play the piano voice on the piano, over the background track. After a short while playing, the background track suddenly goes mute. The piano sound from your own playing is still be there. If you continue to play some more, after a bit even your own piano sound goes mute. Again, you have to switch it off and on again to restore it.

As said: Both scenarios work fine now with the beta firmware.

P.S. I was asked not to share the firmware with anyone, and I'll honor that, so please don't ask me for it. I'm sure that Kawai will officially release it in due time.

Kawai Novus NV10
B
B
Bravo to Kawai, if they're working on it. I'm wondering if they will bother researching and adjusting ( if present) the same behaviour even on older models, as my ca63,where i *think* i canbhear it too.

Kawai Ca63 - yamaha motif07 ( sold )- Korg01fd ( sold ) - Kawai es120
A
A
Fair play to Kawai for sorting it out. Glad to hear you've got it working.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bellicapelli
Bravo to Kawai, if they're working on it. I'm wondering if they will bother researching and adjusting ( if present) the same behaviour even on older models, as my ca63,where i *think* i canbhear it too.

I'm wondering what you mean by you "think you can hear it"?
The MIDI problem that was fixed in this beta firmware is very black-and-white - the piano simply goes mute altogether. So if you have this problem, there is no question about if you hear it or not. smile

Kawai Novus NV10
B
B
Nothing, my fault: i read superficially and thought the post was about the original touch sensitivity / sample behaviour. Sorry.
Any news aboit this matter?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nothing, my fault: i read superficially and thought the post was about the original touch sensitivity / sample behaviour. Sorry.
Any news aboit this matter?

Ah, I see.

No, I have no news about the velocity issue because I only contacted support about the MIDI bug. And in the beta firmware I have, velocity-wise everything seems to be the same as before. That's fine for me, as I don't have a problem with the velocity curve, unlike the OP (I'm playing with "light" touch anyway).

Kawai Novus NV10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
JoBert, thank you for confirming that the issues you experienced have been resolved by the beta firmware.

I sent the files to Pocomoto also, but have yet to receive his/her confirmation.

The beta version may require a little more internal testing before it can be issue as an official update, however I'll post an announcement on the forum as usual when the full version is released.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
I'm wondering if they will bother researching and adjusting ( if present) the same behaviour even on older models, as my ca63...

I'm afraid I don't know if there are any plans to implement this fix on older generation CA models. However, if you are experiencing the same issue, please let me know and I shall report it to the product development team for consideration.

Kind regards,
James
x

B
B
Hello James, yes i think i do. I can hear what the thread opener described: i believe on my ca 63 too there is a very harsh top sample layer which looks to be unaccessible, no matter how hard you hit, as long as you are playing with the normal setting, you hear it only if you crank the sensitivity up.

Wouldn't call it a problem, but it would be nice to have the full sample potential unleashed on any sensitivity setting.

By the way, the complete reasons of this setting apparently have not been explained, perhaps there is a reason why this particular behaviour is technically justified, and what we ask is not possible. Just wondering.

Last edited by Bellicapelli; 12/06/16 12:15 PM.

Bellicapelli, please note that the ease with which the 'top' sample layer can be reached is a characteristic of the instrument, decided by the product development team.

This is a separate point from the MIDI bug highlighted by Pocomoto and confirmed by JoBert. This bug appears to have been resolved by the beta firmware, which we hope to issue officially in the near future. My question to you was whether you have experienced the same MIDI bug on your CA63.

Kind regards,
James
x

B
B
No midi bug on my side, i don't use midi connection at all, so I'm not even in the position to check and notice.

Concerning the touch sensitivity / sample behaviour, i monitored this thread and upon your last post, i even checked a few pages backwards, and didn't spot any prior statement. Did i miss something?

So i learn there's a top sample layer which is *intended* just for high touch sensitivity use.

Last edited by Bellicapelli; 12/07/16 10:16 AM.

Concerning the touch sensitivity / sample behaviour, i monitored this thread and upon your last post, i even checked a few pages backwards, and didn't spot any prior statement. Did i miss something?

No I don't believe so.

Pocomoto highlighted an issue related to received MIDI events, which was confirmed by JoBert. A beta version was prepared which resolved the issue. I sent this beta version to Pocomoto, while my colleagues in Germany sent the beta to JoBert. I have yet to receive a reply from Pocomoto, however JoBert has confirmed in this thread that the MIDI issue has been resolved. We will continue to test the beta version before issuing a full public version in the near future.

Kind regards,
James
x

P
OP Offline
P
Sorry for very late reply, but I got caught up in real life issues and have not played piano for many weeks. I'm glad Kawai has been able to solve the midi receiving issue and much appreciate the efforts James and others have done to improve customer satisfaction.

J
J
hi, no news about a realase date for official firmware ?
Thanks

B
B
Not heard of anything.

However if you're after custom touch curves then this:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2627157/Custom_touch_curve_on_Kawai_CA.html

is a far easier way of doing so than looping the midi out and back in via a pc.

J
J
thank you, i look for this solution.
but somebody can upload the beta firmware ?

thanks

jeanroger, I have sent you a PM.

Kind regards,
James
x

P
P
I also noticed that the velocity curves on my CA67 didn't represent the whole range of values, so the only way to hit more than 100 and reach louder samples was going to light or light+, and to get softer samples you had to do the opposite (and even that way you never get below 35 in heavy+)

I plotted the approximated velocity curves here in case it helps
Velocity Curves CA67

Last edited by pdelgado; 05/30/17 04:52 AM.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission