2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
You may have to subscribe but you can join for one month and it's only around $11.
http://www.medici.tv/#!/daniil-trifonov-schumann-shostakovich-stravinsky

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You know pianolover, I do take a great interest in the things you offer here, and treat them as seriously as I can.

But in all frankness, Trif is one of the most boring contest winners we've had in decades and I really can't stand to hear his sometimes less then adequate playing one more time.

I do wish him every success in building his career, which will naturally be short lived as it is with most gold medal laureates of major contests these days. Just like that Korean kid who won the 2015 Chopin Warsaw gold medal, which he only won because he was the most solid but least offensive player there. The silver and bronze medal winners were vastly more interesting and more developed artistically but, since they had a singular view of how to play those pieces, they offend just enough of the judges not to garner first place.

Is there anyone else you could possibly recommend we watch? And no for heaven's sake, I am not spending my hard earned money to hear someone who is that uninteresting. I've had students who could play with more artistic involvement than Trif.

F
F
I watched it (downloaded it, too--not a member) and thought he played brilliantly.

Last edited by Fugue14; 12/08/16 03:31 AM.

Yama B3
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
You know pianolover, I do take a great interest in the things you offer here, and treat them as seriously as I can.

But in all frankness, Trif is one of the most boring contest winners we've had in decades and I really can't stand to hear his sometimes less then adequate playing one more time.

I do wish him every success in building his career, which will naturally be short lived as it is with most gold medal laureates of major contests these days. Just like that Korean kid who won the 2015 Chopin Warsaw gold medal, which he only won because he was the most solid but least offensive player there. The silver and bronze medal winners were vastly more interesting and more developed artistically but, since they had a singular view of how to play those pieces, they offend just enough of the judges not to garner first place.

Is there anyone else you could possibly recommend we watch? And no for heaven's sake, I am not spending my hard earned money to hear someone who is that uninteresting. I've had students who could play with more artistic involvement than Trif.
You're in a very tiny minority in terms of your opinion of his playing.

He almost always gets terrific, even ecstatic critical reviews and has sold out concerts. I think his latest Liszt Etudes recording won some major award.

As far as predicting his career will be "short lived" I would just point out that he has already been playing to for five years since his competition victories and has not lost any of his initial post competition luster. I think he is booked many years in advance at this point in his career. I think he will have a gigantic career for as long as he wants to play (similar to Evgeny Kissin).

IMO he's a musical genius and will be considered among the great pianists of the 21st century.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/08/16 02:44 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
My personal opinion is that he is a musical genius...

I hate the overuse of the term "genius."

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
F
Originally Posted by laguna_greg

He almost always gets terrific, even ecstatic critical reviews and has sold out concerts. I think his latest Liszt Etudes recording won some major award.

My personal opinion is that he is a musical genius and will be considered among the great pianists of the 21st century.

His new Liszt Etudes disc has won several awards, and Gramophone magazine selected him as Artist of the Year. It's too bad that they and virtually every other musical organization, including the world's greatest conductors don't have Laguna_Greg's astounding musical insights; otherwise, they wouldn't waste their time with such an unskilled player. wink Laguna's comments say far more about him than they do Trifonov's talents.

Last edited by Fugue14; 12/08/16 01:44 PM.

Yama B3
OP Online Content
I do think Trifonov's recital was perhaps too long this time. It started around 8:05 pm and finished around 10:30 pm. So not including the 20-minute intermission it was over 2 hours long. I can't remember hearing a recital anywhere near this long. But maybe it seemed especially long to me because I didn't care much for the 5 Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues.

Does anyone know what his second encore was? The first encore was the Medtner Fairy Tale in F minor from Op. 26.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/08/16 02:18 PM.
F
F
Medtner Op.20 No.2. He played it as an encore when I saw him play the Rach 3 in LA with Dudamel last week. That was quite a godly concert, too. I also attended his LA recital in January--it was just as long as this Carnegie Hall one. At least he gives one his money's worth!

Last edited by Fugue14; 12/08/16 02:22 PM.

Yama B3
T
T
I had gotten a bit bored by The Triff myself, but as I have tickets to the same program in January I figured I'd give it a try with the webcast.
Boy, I'm glad I did; he wrote history with this performance, in my book.
He took a while to warm up, but somewhere in the toccata he really took off and didn't land until the last encore was over!
This is one to watch

Link here (free) https://www.carnegiehall.org/medici/

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by toughbo
I had gotten a bit bored by The Triff myself

Then you must be an idiot who doesn't know the first thing about music. According to some here, at any rate.

Regards,

Polyphonist
H
H
I'll be attending Trifanov's March 24, 2017 recital in Philadelphia, and will share my feedback with this group.

OP Online Content
Here's the review in today's NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/arts/music/fleeting-fingers-and-red-eye-flights-a-pianist-is-a-study-in-stamina.html?rref=collection%2Fspotlightcollection%2Fclassical-music-reviews

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
... and here is the link:

Trifonov at Carnegie Hall

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
K
K
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I have his Etude disc and have quite enjoyed them although they do not supplant my favorite Lazar Berman. Berman plays an equally impressive Spanish Rhapsody which makes this otherwise I thought trashy piece sound substantial. For all around technique, musicianship and piano tone I vote Volodos. On the other end of the spectrum I have immense respect and have enjoyed countless hours of Andras Schiff's Bach. The sound he gets without petal is simply remarkable and you hear all the notes with absolute clarity.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
We were there..he is am amazing pianist, we have followed him for last few years. For such tender age, he is emotionally mature ...

Last edited by Pianoperformance; 12/11/16 09:15 PM.
OP Online Content

S
S
Count me as a huge fan of Trifonov- I am hoping to see him when he comes to DC in the spring. I'll be rounding up non-piano friends to come with me so they can hear what an amazing pianist he is. He is the real deal!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here's the review in today's NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/arts/music/fleeting-fingers-and-red-eye-flights-a-pianist-is-a-study-in-stamina.html?rref=collection%2Fspotlightcollection%2Fclassical-music-reviews

I my, do i have to say it? The reviewer got paid to say all that by the Tchaik Foundation and donors in this country.

Do you really believe everything you read?

J
J
Shostakovich was great, and the Kinderszenen was beautiful. I'm surprised the toccata and the Stravinsky were so messy, since he just recorded all the Liszt etudes and must be in great shape pianistically. I'm also surprised to say his Kreisleriana is not nearly as good as Yuja Wang's recent Carnegie performance.

Last edited by jonnyboy126; 12/12/16 11:57 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Fugue14

Oh My Goodness! I'm in the minority!!! Funny how I really don't care about that.

I saw the recording of his recital in Lyon. the opening was quite boring, and the Liszt etudes that followed were not Martha Argerich, considerably less involved, not interesting, and much less clean. In fact, he hit a bunch of wrong notes which he was obviously laboring to produce. You could never say that about Martha, and several other players besides.

This is, in your opinion, your idea of a musical genius? OK then ...

He almost always gets terrific, even ecstatic critical reviews...

My personal opinion is that he is a musical genius and will be considered among the great pianists of the 21st century.

See above...

Do you really believe everything you read?

His new Liszt Etudes disc has won several awards, and Gramophone magazine selected him as Artist of the Year. It's too bad that they and virtually every other musical organization, including the world's greatest conductors don't have Laguna_Greg's astounding musical insights; otherwise, they wouldn't waste their time with such an unskilled player. wink Laguna's comments say far more about him than they do Trifonov's talents.

Well, I'm sorry to be so very contrary to what you think is good playing.... not....

As far as the conductors and presenters and magazines and record labels go, you MUST realize that they are ALL contractually obligated to support him? Through the Tchaik Foundation? In this country and in Russia, and their agents in this country and abroad as well? And CAMI? And Sony, and by extension DG and all the critics?

And I do mean LONG, LONG before the competition was even held? Or Trif was even thought of as a viable entity???

For God's Sake, do you people even know how this business is run???

All the more reason for me to hold to my opinion, and hope that Kate Liu and the Canadian Hamelin have a bigger career than this guy does. Or we'll be subjected to 20+ years of the most boring, bland, repetitive playing and recordings we have yet to experience, along with the dying end of Lang Lang's eccentric and dysfunctional career, and Sung Jin Cho's less than interesting 2+ years of contracted recordings and concerts before he joins the faculty of some major conservatory somewhere because his playing simply can't sustain a long-term international career. Because that's the only place that guy is going, along with Trif, even if Cho's playing is considerably and obviously cleaner.

Heck, Dmitri Shishkin and Valentina Lisitsa, two very different players, BOTH played the Chopin etudes VASTLY BETTER than Trif, in every way.

And you insist he's SUCH a genius...

Do any of you actually KNOW how this business is run??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission