2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2601136 01/04/17 09:51 PM
L
Lokman Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I always enjoy hearing scales played smoothly and evenly, for example in the music of Mozart. I've never been able to reliably produce this effect but lately I stumbled across a technique that seems to work: simply keep the wrist low. For some reason, that facilitates passing the thumb which helps to keep scales fluid over multiple octaves.
Does anyone here feel the same way?

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Have you tried thumb over? I like it. It works especially if there is speed involved. Thinking about it, thumb under rotates the hand and forearm so that the thumb side of the hand is in more of a down position than the outer part of the hand/arm. Then then forefinger and others are not positioned over the next set of keys. The really fast adjustment to keep the speed just doesn't work for me, never has. I also find with thumb over, my fingers, hand and arm are much more relaxed and ready to strike. Thumb under is necessary for most legato playing, especially if it is in a slower section.

Adding: Thumb over is probably a bad description, since it sounds like the wrist/hand is turned so the thumb is at the top or maybe not quite that far up. It's the slight lifting of the forearm/hand/fingers and lateral movement that makes the difference.

Last edited by Isabelle1949; 01/05/17 11:58 AM.

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
D
D
Originally Posted by Isabelle1949

Adding: Thumb over is probably a bad description, since it sounds like the wrist/hand is turned so the thumb is at the top or maybe not quite that far up. It's the slight lifting of the forearm/hand/fingers and lateral movement that makes the difference.

This is funny, because when I first started learning on my own (2 years ago now almost, then I switched jobs and had to take a break before resuming with a teacher) I learned through the internet's infinite wisdom that scales were the way to go. Scales scales scales. Gotta go fast! HOW do I go fast? THUMB OVER! So I sat there rotating my wrist so that the thumb literally went over, and I looked ridiculous. Then I found a youtube video describing the technique and showing roughly how its used and declaring it "thumb next too" because ultimately at speed the thumb gently comes next to the #2 finger and wrist rotation gives the "over" part of the name. I have now quickly learned with the help of my teacher that I am nowhere near that stage of technique and ability so I've slowed down considerably so as not to ingrain poor technique to iron out later.

I realize this adds little to the thread, but I'm curious for more replies and thought I'd give my anecdotal experience!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission