2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
cogeary Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi all,

I am a high school senior, currently applying to colleges (eek), and also a passionate pianist smile. Some colleges are letting me submit a music “supplement,” so I’m preparing a couple of video recordings: Rachmaninoff's Prelude in Gm (Op.23 #5), and Debussy's Clair de Lune. These are two pieces I love to play, and I hope they’ll showcase my varied strengths.

However, I’m having trouble making a Rach recording that I’m 100% happy with. None of them are perfect (notes!). If you have 15 minutes or so to listen to these recordings, I would truly appreciate your input on the matter.
- Which performance would you recommend?
- Which one evokes the most emotion, seems the most genuine/passionate?
- Which has the least jarring note slips?

In no particular order,
No. 1: https://youtu.be/-79LDnCN42M feels a little more sensitive - might be my pick if not for a few too many slipups (especially around 3:25)
No. 2: https://youtu.be/BkXBd3hwtQA perhaps my favorite? the middle section is a little course
No. 3: https://youtu.be/PbPsbUFfH04 never could nail that octave Gm scale-run-thing (this might be my least favorite of 1-3)
No. 4, an older one: https://youtu.be/UpVf8_ushc4

My thoughts: #4 is a bit more controlled and accurate, but the piece hadn’t quite settled into my hands yet, if that makes sense; it feels a little too mechanical. Now I feel like I can play the piece with more gusto, but I’ve lost some accuracy as I’ve been learning other pieces. I’d love to put some hours in to polish up this prelude, but deadlines are looming and I really need finish polishing up the actual writing sections of my applications. blush

Of the plaid performances, I'm leaning towards #2. I think it has the least slip-ups at the end. I would, however love some outside opinions. My sincere thanks.

Cove

[I’d like to add, this music supplement is purely optional—I’m not applying to any conservatory-level programs. I hope that it will convey that piano is something I am passionate about, I have put time and effort into it, and I have the potential to contribute to the school community … of course, the more meticulous the better … but I am okay with a note slip here and there if it doesn’t define the performance. Again, my thanks smile ]

Last edited by cogeary; 12/30/16 07:49 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
At the risk of messing up your life 😀, I'd say . . .

On balance, I would agree that two is the more assured performance. Four has the public-performance-on-a-grand factor going for it, but the admissions people would probably pick up on your being younger, there (and wonder "what lately?"). (I say that having seen the plaid "Claire de lune" vid that YouTube displays--very nice!)

Good luck at this exciting time in your life! Whatever your major, do try to take piano lessons with a prof (such non-major lessons are usually available, although sometimes you have to be a music minor).

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
C
cogeary Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you so much for the input, WhoDwaldi! And thank you for the wishes. I certainly intend to intend to keep taking lessons smile.

My piano instructor agrees that #2 is a better choice than 4. I still haven't quite settled on 1 versus 2—if anyone else has an opinion I would certainly appreciate it—but I'm pretty strongly leaning towards 2.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It is easier for the listener to follow the lines of the inner voices in the middle section of #1, but I'd say #2 starts better.

Make your teacher decide and take any potential blame. ha

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ya, discuss this with your teacher. Posting here, honestly, makes me feel like you are a typical, hot-shot teenager trying to show off, sorry. Or, just choose one, because when you do a live audition, you aren't going to get seven chances!

Regarding recordings, keep in mind that the pros, even on YouTube, are splicing together several takes, and when I record, well, even "easy" pieces are 10 takes in the making, even if each one is just fine in its own way, but that's for my job; not a college audition.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I would advise you to do another recording with the piano tuned properly, especially since you are not playing for musicians who can filter things like that out.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This forum can be a bit of a "tough room." 😀

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I think most of the responders are missing that the OP is not applying to a conservatory program. If you are applying to a conservatory BA program, for a more rounded overall experience versus a strenuous B.Mus performance degree, the audition standards are wildly different. If you are applying to a different program entirely, then you are lucky if they review the material at all, because they get so many applications.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nice playing! It's definitely worth it to submit these as a music supplement.

I'd go with either 1 or 4. I didn't bother listening to 3 because you didn't like it.
1 shows the musical lines better and is more expressive in the middle section. But you rush a lot in the outer sections and kind of brush by those octave passages instead of enjoying them. I didn't actually hear much in the way of slip-ups. A couple of blurry octaves maybe. In a live performance/unedited video, people know there are going to be a couple of wayward notes here and there, particularly in that kind of passage.
4 is more rhythmic in the outer sections, you don't rush, and you have better transitions. But the middle section is a little more plodding and not as linear.

I don't like 2 because it both rushes and bangs too much. Neither of these things distinguishes you from other teenage players. Musical playing will.

It's too bad you're not considering making another recording. I think that if you don't rush and keep on with the tempo that you start at, those tricky sections will fall right into place and be easier, more fun, and more rhythmic, without really investing that much more practice time. And you'll play the middle section more musically than you did in #4, now that it's more in your ear. But deadlines are what they are and these are certainly good recordings that show your skill and your approach to the piano.

Good luck and I certainly hope you keep playing!

Last edited by hreichgott; 01/09/17 10:41 AM.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission