2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
pnbgnr8 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi all!!!

This time, I have a question about what kind of instrument you guys use as night time/quiet time playing? Acoustic piano with silent system, DP, or damper pedal???

For me, I am lucky to be able to keep the DP we got 2yrs ago...but when the time comes to actually upgrade my rented upright in a year or two...I am wondering if I should trade in the DP(if it still worth anything by then...) or just keep it as night time(here in Germany includes Sundays&holidays as quiet hours are observed wink ) practice piano...(another thing about this DP is that it is EU Kawai model so we won't be able to bring it back to the states...well, as far as we know...so I don't know if we should just trade it in...)

I also wonder if the upright that we buy comes with the damper pedal and if I use it everyday for quiet practice, will it hurt the mechanism of piano in a long run?? (maybe like wearing that function out much quicker?? will it be expensive to repair or replace the parts if that happens??)

Just wanted to explore everyones choices in this topic a little bit...appreciate any inputs from you!
Thanx...

p.s. I have heard about after market silent system installation option as well...but this is not such a good idea compared to factory installed silent system?? (I also heard from the dealer that factory installed silent system works like something is attached under each keys when they assemble the piano...is it noticeable when you play? To me, just the thoughts of some foreign material on keys almost make me want to stay away...as it sounds almost something unnatural is there.....I know I sound weird...but... Any thoughts???

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
The night-time practice routines will vary from all of us- partially dependent on what type of housing we have. I currently live in a condo--- although my immediate neighbors state my acoustic playing does not bother them, I do not practice it between the hours of 9 pm and 9 am if they are home.

A damper pedal, IMHO, should not be used in place of a mute rail.

I use an inexpensive digital with headphones for those hours when the acoustic is not appropriate, and I just can't wait

You might want to post your question about your EU DP being used in the US to the digital piano forum, and might inquire there about resell value.

Last edited by dogperson; 01/08/17 08:54 AM.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
No playing here at night. I have a acoustic grand but live in an appartment... So I have two hours in the evening. I believe that having limited time helps you focus on the job.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The official building rules say I can play the piano until 11:30 pm, but I never play the acoustic past 8:30 pm or early in the morning. I switch over to the digital, which I had before the acoustic showed up.

I should add those rules were written in 1947 when every apartment probably had a piano. This is a musical building. Only six units, but there are two uprights and one baby grand in the building now. Since I've lived here, three baby grands have come and gone, except for the one I have, which was kind of an accident. There are at least three digitals in the building, too.

Last edited by David Farley; 01/08/17 11:25 AM.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
A clavichord, though I've also used a Fender Rhodes.

Laissez tomber les mains
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pnbgnr8
Hi all!!!

This time, I have a question about what kind of instrument you guys use as night time/quiet time playing? Acoustic piano with silent system, DP, or damper pedal???

[...]

I question your terminology, here. The "damper pedal" on acoustic pianos is the right pedal, the one that lifts the dampers off the strings and allows for sustain. Not using the damper pedal would give a very dry sound to playing and would be totally inappropriate for most Romantic and post-Romantic literature. If anything, along with sustain, the damper pedal allows for an increase in sound volume. Are you sure you mean "damper pedal"?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I would assume they mean celeste rail.

Laissez tomber les mains
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
A good digital setup (Kawai VPC1 + Nord Electro 5, the latter is a nice travel instrument as well).

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I use the Yamaha CP-33 for nights, and for repetitive drilling at all times. I save the good grand for things that are getting close to presentable, both for the neighbors and to minimize wear and tear on the acoustic.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
J
J
casio privia px850

P
pnbgnr8 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
dogperson - Yes I realize your housing arrangement can dictate your choices but I just wanted to know what are the options out there... I appreciate you including your housing information. And thank you for suggesting that I post about the DP value question in DP section. I hadn't thought of doing that... blush

wouter79 - Grand piano in an apartment! Very nice! I can see you need to spend quality time with your piano! Thank you for chiming in!

David Farley - Musical building? 1947! Interesting! I spent a couple of years in La Grange/Hinsdale area...fun time... smile Maybe having acoustic and DP is the good combo to have...but thank you for your input.

chopin_r_us - Thanks! Wasn't familiar with either of your words...had to google... eek I learned something new!

BruceD - Well as you can see from my reply above...and English being my second language...you can guess I don't have much of musicians bone in me... wink The damper pedal I meant is the right most pedal and I think it kinda mutes the sound of piano(?)...thought I could use it as that. (since it produces less volume...) But as dogperson suggested maybe I shouldn't...

maurus - Digital setup...sounds more and more to be a realistic choice... I guess it helps to have option to go less loud...sometimes.(especially when practicing.

JohnSprung - Ohhh grand piano for presenting your music! I feel the exact same way for letting neighbors hear my 'playing' music... smile

Appreciate you guys help, thank you!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My piano is in a basement studio, but of course it can be heard throughout the house. I play until about midnight most nights; loud, abrasive music. The kids sleep better during nights that I practice, and my wife is just really used to it and is lost in her TV shows while working anyway.

I am extremely fortunate to have the set up that I have.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission