2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
@Vid : what problems did you get while pluging a Clavinova to the Pianoteq output. I had some troubles with ground loop noises, but with a plain MIDI connection instead of USB, I get rid of them.

A ground loop filter could also be used.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by G-now-p-man
I'm new to paino and in the market for a DP for my 4 year old (and me!). I'm reluctant to drop too much into one when there's a modelling revolution on the way. Surely there must be a niche for a DP with a great action/feel, a flat response/full range speaker setup that can use an outboard modeller, or indeed an onboard modeller where the supplier commits to provide regular firmware updates as modelling technology advances ...

In my experience DP are not for children. This is opposite of what DP salesmen may say. My own experience with my children tells me that it is far better to give them an acoustic upright that cost $3500 then a DP that cost $3500. Very young children can and will pick up all sorts of things from a piano that adults never will. It's like learning to speak with a regional accent. Children are able to but most adults that aren't professional actors are not.

DP are really best for apartment living where headphones use is required. My children who grew up with a vertical piano hates the DP even after I tried so hard to outfit it with Pianoteq and Ivory. They just say it sounds and behaves very fake and have no motivation to practice on it. I tried for years to get them to practice at the same time, one on the vertical the other on the DP but in the end, they just wait in line for the acoustic.

Don't short change a child by giving him / her a DP unless you live in an apartment. Pianoteq is not a cure, just a Band-Aid. I'm totally into DP, but it also took me a long time, 5 years of lessons, to finally understand what the children were going on about. I don't have the same wiring in my head as they since I started piano in my 40's and probably never will, so DP is fine for me.

There is no modeling revolution going on. It's been a very slow incremental improvement over the last decade. You could wait until your child is an adult and not see anything that behaves and sound like a real acoustic piano at an affordable price when judged by a trained musician's ear and hands. It is simply much cheaper to buy a $3500-$4500 acoustic upright that you could sell for $2000 in 10-15 years than to expect Pianoteq or anything else to get there.

In my opinion and experience DP are better for adults despite all the marketing materials with children in the pictures. I practice with headphones even though I don't live in an apartment because of all sorts of reasons. Children shouldn't have their development limited by a synthetic instrument that mimics the real thing. They should have the real thing.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves
In my experience DP are not for children.

I have a young child, and got back into pianos and DPs for this reason. You make a lot of good points here, 8 Octaves, and it's really making me think about whether I should just start her off on an acoustic, as we are fortunate enough to have that option.

I would, however, like to present the flipside: I took years and years of lessons as a kid, starting from a very young age. I never thought about action, about the quality of sound, whether the piano was in tune, or how an upright, grand, or digital piano actually works. None of these instruments felt "right" or "wrong" to me, I just played on what I had to play on. And on the few occasions I played on a keyboard, I could tell the tone and feel was clearly different but I just didn't approach it with the same level of scrutiny as I do now when comparing DPBSD samples. When you're a kid, you just do it, and you just adapt.

And now I've grown up, and you know what, I really like DPs, and think about them way more than I've ever given a thought to an acoustic when I was playing and giving recitals and taking exams. And when we have family visit, the kids (age 5-12) love the DP and sometimes play on it for hours. I've never asked them to compare it to their uprights and grands at home but they're clearly not disgusted by any sense of fakeness.

So I guess kids differ. If there's something really lacking about today's DPs that hinders learning and hampers building technique, that's a really good reason to try to stretch for a real AP. But if it's just because they'll notice it's different, then who knows, some might like the digital even better...

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
+1 =]

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
R
R
I've heard that digital pianos are better for children as their developing brains are more likely to develop perfect pitch with an instrument that is always perfectly in tune.

I don't doubt that some children don't like certain digital piano sounds. But that goes for adults, too. I often can't stand certain brands that are other people's favorites. That also goes for acoustics. You just need to involve your children in your pick of digital piano if they are to play it.

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by R111
.. . You just need to involve your children in your pick of digital piano if they are to play it.

If the child is 12, I might agree. Since the child is 4, I don't think it's very important. It's reasonable for Dad (or Mom) to decide on the piano -- the child's job is to learn music, and it's just a tool for doing that.

I had a bunch of reasons for getting a DP, rather than an acoustic. So far, in three years or so, I haven't regretted the decision. There's something really nice in being able to say to band-mates:

. . . "No problem, I'll bring the piano."

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Another consideration for digital - when we were making our decision, we came to the point where we said ok, we'll go for a nice upright acoustic with or without a silent system and settled on a max budget ; looking at a few models (Yamaha, Kawai) and then finding out their weight I set about finding out how one would actually make it to our house and then up the stairs to our livingroom ( our house is a drive-in model , with garage and garden room on the ground floor ) and found out I would need to basically dismantle part of the stairwell structure to get it up to the livingroom and that getting to our house and then up those stairs amounted to inflating the budget by another 20% ( delivery and up those stairs was about 800€ )

Then the maintenance questions arose - and with our house going from cold n bone dry to hot and humid with regularity, those numbers were adding up to a picture that started to pain us a little.

So eventually the question became one of do we do this or not - and the DP allowed it to be a yes we can do this.

Yes the action from our digital is different from an upright, as an upright is different from a grand, as one piano would be different from another, and the sound is different ( but tonally correct due to modelling used wink ) but it is a _musical_ instrument and one that is there as opposed to one that could not be ^^

Last edited by Goss; 01/14/17 03:22 AM.

M
M
My kids started piano at ages 5 and 8. They played when I told them to play and with what tools I gave them. It's been 3 years now and the youngest has fingers that can fly. If we were crazy parents, we'd send her to a music conservatory where she'd be learning music 6-8 hours a day and she probably could end up as a concert pianist in the future.

But really, she'd rather play video games, watch TV, read comic books, skate, bike, even just talk random nonsense with her brother -- than practice music regardless of whether it was digital or acoustic. So we demand they practice a reasonable 30 minutes a day and they'll just grow up to be ordinary people with decent music skills.

Basically this discussions is way too advanced for a target 4 year old. Get a Casio PX160 ($600) or a Roland FP30 ($800) and it'll last many years for your kid. If they have the SELF-MOTIVATION to practice nonstop, then it's time to consider something beyond amateur playthings. If you want to play around with VSTs and high tech toys, that would a spending decision for you -- not your kid.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MossySF
My kids started piano at ages 5 and 8. They played when I told them to play and with what tools I gave them. It's been 3 years now and the youngest has fingers that can fly. If we were crazy parents, we'd send her to a music conservatory where she'd be learning music 6-8 hours a day and she probably could end up as a concert pianist in the future.

But really, she'd rather play video games, watch TV, read comic books, skate, bike, even just talk random nonsense with her brother -- than practice music regardless of whether it was digital or acoustic. So we demand they practice a reasonable 30 minutes a day and they'll just grow up to be ordinary people with decent music skills.

Basically this discussions is way too advanced for a target 4 year old. Get a Casio PX160 ($600) or a Roland FP30 ($800) and it'll last many years for your kid. If they have the SELF-MOTIVATION to practice nonstop, then it's time to consider something beyond amateur playthings. If you want to play around with VSTs and high tech toys, that would a spending decision for you -- not your kid.

Thank You !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
yeah I think this thread has cross threaded a little with some others ^^

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
My main regret is will be zero chance I will remember that this discussion is in a pianoteq thread when I want to come back to it in the future.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
D
D
Apologies for turning this in to a what piano thread! I managed to try out the Roland mentioned above, it was surprisingly good for the price, so perhaps I'll follow the advice above ... the Roland for the 4 year old and Pianoteq for me ... and perhaps another guitar given I came in way under budget!

Roland FP-30
VSL CFX + Bosendorfer upright
M-Track 2x2 + Grado SR125
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Apologies for turning this in to a what piano thread! I managed to try out the Roland mentioned above, it was surprisingly good for the price, so perhaps I'll follow the advice above ... the Roland for the 4 year old and Pianoteq for me ... and perhaps another guitar given I came in way under budget!

Good Decision.

And ... be sure to try out the DEMO version of Pianoteq before buying.

Since you are just beginning, my personal thinking is that you will have your hands full just trying to learn to play without adding in the issue of an external sound engine.

Last edited by dmd; 01/14/17 12:07 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
good choice ^^

The cheapest pianoteq is 99 - and upgrades to more expansive models is only a small hit on going for the fuller packages right away

There is a new player in town for fully modelled piano software but darn it I forgot to bookmark it.. I remember they are going to be at NAMM so probably soon some more easily found news out there on it.. I think I remember their price was around 249 or therabouts with free updates and free custom model expansions

F
F
Try the Pianoteq versions of both Blüthner and the Grotrian, you'll be amazed.

M
M
If you plan on getting some of the extra pianos (Model B, Bluthner, Grotrian) and you also want electric pianos, the better deal is to buy Pianoteq with the Electric Piano flavor because you get both the R2/W2 and the Hohner pack. There are plenty of free acoustic piano packs available so you may not need/want the D4/K2.

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by dmd

Good Decision.

And ... be sure to try out the DEMO version of Pianoteq before buying.

Since you are just beginning, my personal thinking is that you will have your hands full just trying to learn to play without adding in the issue of an external sound engine.

+1.

I learned a lesson, quickly, after I got Pianoteq:

. . . Just because the piano sounds better, doesn't mean
. . . that you can _play_ better !

I'm really happy with the Pianoteq Grotrian (and the Bluthner, before that), but they don't fix my mistakes.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
true true XD but shiny buttons =D

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Goss
true true XD but shiny buttons =D

I need an interpreter for this.

I have no idea what this means.

Don

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
lol Sorry
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/017/436/XD_Face.png
Similarly =D when seen vertically..

and no not a teenager - good half century almost =O

Last edited by Goss; 01/15/17 08:25 AM.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission