2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Personally, I think the problem is because of the fact that most people are taught they key of C first because it's 'easy', and then they get stuck there for a long time. Because of that, all keys with sharps and flats in them are therefore automatically 'hard'.

I followed 'normal' music school training, and I stayed in the key of C for a gazillion years before I learned my first piece in G, and then one in D... while a friend of mine started at the same time, with a private teacher, and he started out with a piece in a 'difficult' key. That teacher treated all keys as the same, and just assigned pieces in E, or Ab or F#.

That friend was a much better player than me when it came to playing pieces in 'other' keys.

I switched to that teacher later, and I've learned to play (organ) in all keys, but still, to this day, C, G, D, and F are better than others, because those are the keys I've played in the most when starting out. D, with two black keys, was the most difficult key I've played in while in music school. (I had classical organ lessons for 4 years, but I did get the Toccata part of BWV 565 in before quitting. It was the entire reason to start playing organ.)

So IMHO, the only way to learn to play well in a lot of keys is to play a lot of different keys.

Last edited by Falsch; 01/16/17 08:48 AM.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
S
S
Oddly, occasionally I'll notice about 4 bars in that I'm playing in the complete wrong key - my mind subconsciously transposes!! It's very strange for me as I have zero improvisational skills, and have only just gotten back into playing during the last 4 years, but mainly sightreading pop music (classically trained but stopped altogether ~20 years ago).

So I can see how one can easily forget a flat/sharp... my brain just forgets them in a different way!! :P

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I think in addition to scales it's helpful to play the chords in a given key to orient yourself. That way it's not so much note-note-note, but teaching your hands to recognize the shapes and relationships involved.

Playing through the inversions is especially good for getting a sense of the whole landscape of the key.

1989 Baldwin R
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Every time you practice the piece, say the notes in the key signature, say the key it it written in. When you make a mistake, do that again and again. Mark your music , learn it right the first time. Learned mistakes are the devil to correct.

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
The more black keys there are, the easier it is to play and learn.

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
What a great thread, or at least for me. I've played guitar since dirt was invented. Key changes can mean just moving the same pattern up or down the neck. From day one I've been saying that I will never be able to learn all the major keys on the piano. So far it looks like I'm right but I'm not smart enough to give up!

Last edited by TomInCinci; 01/16/17 03:57 PM. Reason: Missed a word
OP Offline
Ok so I had a lesson today. We're going to keep going through the Mike Springer Not Just Another Scale books. Which here's a plug for those books. When you're learning a new key, there's another easy piano piece for you. (Easy for me, probably harder for someone learning these scales at the "proper"time in their education) And I'm going to practice chords with inversions instead of just root position and add the root on top too so it's more like real music.

I think it may be that I don't mess up basic chords, that I just know the shape instinctively from those Alfred books. But a person doesn't usually play chords in root position so we will it do this other way with inversions and arpeggiate them.

Like I said, I neglected scales as a kid. She had me doing them, but then I had a difficult year with caregiving responsibilities so I couldn't keep everything up and dang, for me, scales are very boring compared to rep. I am hopeful.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Isabelle1949
The more black keys there are, the easier it is to play and learn.

There are different ways to be easy and hard.

C is the "brain-easiest" key. No sharps or flats to think about.

B is the "finger-easiest" key. You use all five black keys.

The black keys stick up with lots of room around them, which makes it easy to get a finger on them from a variety of hand positions and without hitting adjacent keys.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
OP Offline
Yes, I do think it's physically easier to play with lots of black keys.

Today I played a couple pieces with two sharps, umm D and is it B minor? And hmmm. No problem. What the heck? Usually I have terrible problems remembering. I just did it, mostly. Didn't have to think too hard.

Sometimes it seems I get most frustrated right before a breakthrough. I wonder if I get restless, on the cusp of getting a skill really internalized, so I start to whine. ? Well I'll see if today was an anomaly soon enough. Or maybe I've played lots of pieces in D and B minor.

I'm trying out suggestions here. Did more complicated arpeggios, with inversions.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Two sharps are F# and C#, in the key of D.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Falsch

......and its relative minor, B minor.

If music be the food of love, play on!
N
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
N
When I was taking lessons as a child, I played several pieces each week and learned notes and other basics but I had no theory (that I remember) and I don't even remember playing scales. I don't think I have just blocked that memory. Returning as an adult, key changes, figuring out the basic key a piece is in, etc has been pretty difficult.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Taking Octaves 8 suggestion. I like Czerny's Op 599, no 12. I often play it and try to play it in different keys while looking only at the notes in C Major.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

OP Offline
I'll take a look at that Czerny. My teacher doesn't use Czerny, or at least, has not used his works with me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
C is the "brain-easiest" key. No sharps or flats to think about.

B is the "finger-easiest" key. You use all five black keys.

C is certainly the brain-easiest, but from a pedagogical point of view, I have seen most in agreement that Db major is the finger-easiest. B major is actually quite difficult for most people, again, among my pedagogical friends.

But, "easy" is subjective of course. I find reading flats to be extremely easy, but sharps give me problems (it was the exact opposite 20 years ago). But most people seem to find reading sharps way easier than flats. I can't explain why, though--I never put effort into the research.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by Falsch

......and its relative minor, B minor.

LOL. Yes, of course.

I can't even remember when I have played a piece in B or B minor... I can't even remeber *ever* playing a piece in those keys to be honest blush

T
T
Long time lurker but decided to make this my first post…. .. . I didn’t see this explicitly brought up so thought I’d share what I have learned This may not necessarily apply to the OP but this is Adult beginners so here goes… ..apologize if its a bit overly long...

I took up the piano again after 30 years, when I was a fairly capable teenage player. I had forgotten everything, and I mean everything. In retrospect I realized that the learning techniques I used as a child were not effective for me. At least my brain does not work like that. So I applied lessons learned from my own professional life to piano playing and have made faster progress than I did as a child! Here are a few things that worked far better for me this time around, with far fewer mistakes. Sometimes even zero mistakes! Yipeee!

1. Simplify the pattern.
My conscious brain cannot hold more than 3-4 pieces of information at the same time. It is simply impossible for me to remember Key of G Major + F# + Location of F + read the staff + finger to use.
The thought of E Major being F#+C#+G#+D# + Locations etc is/was far too much for my brain. So I began breaking it down into simpler and simpler pieces of data that I could hold in my brain during play. I can’t stress enough that this approach is only for play. For normal music study all the theory is very relevant. But during play I want to remove as much information as possible between the note on the sheet and pressing the key.

So here is my strategy for Sharps/Flats only during play (Can’t stress this enough). Ignoring other info on sheet.

- Verify number of sharps/flats count.
- On the keys play the sharps/flats in pattern. F#-C#-G#-D#-A#. & Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb. Do this several times and simplify pattern in mind. For instance F# in NOT F and then #. It is first Black key of the set of three. This is (one) piece of information only. Now we come to keys.
First is No sharps. Second is 5 Sharps. All black key only. (Both are 1 piece of information)
One sharp, F#. Play it, every time, critical.(1 piece of info)
2 #’s becomes First Black key on both 2 & 3 sets. Play it. In pattern. (this is again 1 piece of information for my brain).
3#’s is previous + second black key on 3 set. G#. Play it in pattern. (2 pieces of info).
4#’s is 5#’s, minus one(2 pieces of info). Which is A natural. Play the sharps in order and play the A natural. Let your brain understand the pattern.
Same pattern for Flats in reverse. (So just 2 related patterns for your brain, in essence 1 pattern with some tweaks)

- Remove Key from memory.
- Remove Number of sharps/flats from memory.
- Remove all other guides from memory.
- Only play the pattern you just memorized.

Do this every time you start.

Occasionally I lose my way and am forced back to step #1 which slows the play down but these stops have become fewer as your brain snaps into the pattern faster and faster over time. All of it, built on maximum 2 pieces of pattern info. I’m still exploring ways to simply the pattern even further. Fewer steps is faster read-play.

I’m sure others have their own ‘playtime’ tricks to simplify the pattern and reduce the steps between read and play.
It would be wonderful to hear them.

Last edited by theo1000; 01/18/17 04:32 PM.
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by theo1000

- Remove Key from memory.
- Remove Number of sharps/flats from memory.
- Remove all other guides from memory.
- Only play the pattern you just memorized.

Thanks, Theo. I'll have to try that. You should post more often.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Batuhan
Yes It is just something that gradually happens I remember how much I struggled with the issue you mention. I suggest practice it without piano the first very important thing you must memorize the order of sharps and flats

FCGDAEB

if you reverse this you will see order of flats

BEADGCF

after memorize the order take a piece of paper and draw the circle of fifths many times until it gets automatically

imagine the circle of fifths in your free time ask yourself for example say G major to yourself and answer with F# as soon as possible or say D-flat major to yourself answer with BEADG as soon as possible practice with minor keys also say E-flat minor to yourself and answer with BEADGC.

there is no other way than memorize the sharp and flats of keys minor & major

you know after 18 years of piano playing I still struggle with it sometimes but trust me if you practice enough you will see a piece of music you will look at the key signature JUST 1 TIME and you will automatically play sharps and flats in right time without thinking on it

here very useful link use this exercise

https://www.musictheory.net/exercises/keysig

customize the exercise from top and work on it

you can draw the key signatures and write the key below

or

write the keys and draw the key signature below

and finally you must practice scales in 4 octaves thats very important to remember which key get what key

Punctuation would make your posts more intelligible. You might consider using some.

Regards,

Polyphonist
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Batuhan
Yes It is just something that gradually happens I remember how much I struggled with the issue you mention. I suggest practice it without piano the first very important thing you must memorize the order of sharps and flats

FCGDAEB

if you reverse this you will see order of flats

BEADGCF

after memorize the order take a piece of paper and draw the circle of fifths many times until it gets automatically

imagine the circle of fifths in your free time ask yourself for example say G major to yourself and answer with F# as soon as possible or say D-flat major to yourself answer with BEADG as soon as possible practice with minor keys also say E-flat minor to yourself and answer with BEADGC.

there is no other way than memorize the sharp and flats of keys minor & major

you know after 18 years of piano playing I still struggle with it sometimes but trust me if you practice enough you will see a piece of music you will look at the key signature JUST 1 TIME and you will automatically play sharps and flats in right time without thinking on it

here very useful link use this exercise

https://www.musictheory.net/exercises/keysig

customize the exercise from top and work on it

you can draw the key signatures and write the key below

or

write the keys and draw the key signature below

and finally you must practice scales in 4 octaves thats very important to remember which key get what key

Punctuation would make your posts more intelligible. You might consider using some.

You might consider being more understanding of posters that do not have English as a native language. It is understandable, as written.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission