2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
The CE220 is not sold in Europe.

We have had the CN35 for two years now. Older daughter started at 6, is now 8. Younger daughter (now 6) sometimes bangs along, but otherwise just upgraded from glockenspiel to flute.

What I like most about the CN35 compared to others in the same price range is: 4 speakers which I think makes a big difference to 2. The nice Kawai sound. The very good RHIII action. USB Sticks supported for MP3 saving and sharing (but I no longer consider this a must have). And it has damper and string resonance (no cabinet resonance, though).

What my children like most about the CN35: we never tell them they can not play, only sometimes to use the headphones or turn down volume temporarily. They like all the buttons. And the sounds. And the recording function (for fun, not really for practice assessment :-)

tl;dr: CN35 very good value for money, would buy again.

CN37 coming out now, get the CN35 while its cheap :-)

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
M
M
I'd go for the Roland F-140R as the action is very realistic and it has lots of features that would encourage small kids to play.

S
SSK Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Goss
Kawai CN35 ^^

Here it has seen another pricedrop - won't be surprised if you can talk some more off at a dealer wink

I am hoping to get a good deal on it. I called one of the Kawai dealers yesterday and they told they have very low stock since the new CN37 is coming out in 1-2 weeks.

Originally Posted by pwl
My experience is with a Kawai CN34, which has much in common with the CN35. I assisted a friend in making her choice a few years ago, primarily in comparison to a competing Yamaha.

I find the CN34 to have an enjoyable action - easy to play, easy to control (to the extent my VERY limited skillset allows). And the CN35, of course, has the improved RH III action. The piano has been absolutely reliable - no issues.

And, I must say, it's so much fun to watch my friend's 2 1/2 year old granddaughter put on the headphones and plunk away on the keys. I have no idea what she's playing or the sounds she's making - but she sure does enjoy it!

So, based on admittedly limited experience, from my perspective the CN35 is a no-brainer which should last your family a LONG time.

In my previous post I mentioned about a discussion on key noise issue in the Kawai's with RHIII action. Did you or your friend experienced any such abnormal key noises?

Originally Posted by Hendrik42
We have had the CN35 for two years now.

I think you had experienced some key noise issue with the CN35 and got it fixed, correct? I am hoping to get an excellent support, in case any thing goes wrong. smile

And, I like your signature - I am buying this for my twin girls and the question is "whi's going to learn faster" smile

Thanks!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The key issue thing I think judging from the posts on the forum here really is something that Kawai techs can and will handle. I have an issue with my roland's key action for which I got an initial response from the dealer along the lines of in 25 years not one fault like this was known to them.. Got my head scratching and made me feel a bit like it was mé at fault.. Later on got positive reaction from the dealer and things will be resolved - but I did post here on the issue and anyone reading it might think oh my that sounds like something I don't want to buy..
Same with the Kawai action issues - these things are not simple on off devices, some teething problems might arise and most if not all will get resolved under warranty.

Thing to remember is nobody is going to post things like my digital piano works perfectly - all the people who have perfectly functional pianos won't bother sounding off about that - it's just the faults that sound off - does not mean all the pianos are faulty or will be ^^

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
S
SSK Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Goss,

I agree with you completely. But my intention was to know if that issue is something similar to the key rattling issues in Casio DPs which are said to be developing over time from bad to worse. And none of the posts that I read had anyone saying it got fixed through Casio or the dealer.

Thanks!

Last edited by SSK; 01/21/17 03:31 PM.
K
K
>I called one of the Kawai dealers yesterday and they told they have very low stock since the new CN37 is coming out in 1-2 weeks.

I had a Kawai dealer tell me something similar about the ES7 when the ES8 came out. Six months later they had 'the last' ES7 out for sale, with a sign on it saying it had been sold. A month later there was another one out.

Not all dealers are completely honest.

K
K
@SSK

What price range are you looking at now? If it's up to $2k or so another model to consider would be the Roland DP603. Erpiano and similar discount retailers might get you 10-15% off or offer some financing deal. The model it replaced, the DP90e, could be a good purchase if had at a discount, the $1800 listed at Kraft is more than I would spend on it though.

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by SSK
Originally Posted by pwl
My experience is with a Kawai CN34, which has much in common with the CN35. I assisted a friend in making her choice a few years ago, primarily in comparison to a competing Yamaha. … The piano has been absolutely reliable - no issues.

In my previous post I mentioned about a discussion on key noise issue in the Kawai's with RHIII action. Did you or your friend experienced any such abnormal key noises?

No abnormal key noises.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Yes, I called on Kawai because a few keys had a slight rattle when falling back. It got resolved fast and has not come back (two years now).

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
S
SSK Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The dealer has 3-4 locations that carry DPs and couple of them said they ran out of CN35s and the 3rd one has one floor model. I do not have any previous experience with that dealer, but don't have any reason to distrust them either.
The person from that store told me its the last piece they have in this whole area and is put on the floor about a week ago. I will be going to that store this afternoon to check the model out. I think they told the price to be around $2250. I am not sure if its a lowered price from their boxed piece price or not. The CN37 is listed on Kawai site for $2599. Not sure if its worth spending $2250 on a display piece of an outgoing model or to stretch it to $2599 for the new one on kawaius.com - considering I have already stretched the budget once. Could the new CN37 be priced lower in the stores than what is listed in kawai site now?

Anything to watch out for floor models?

Thanks!

S
SSK Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Good to know. Thanks!

T
T
Originally Posted by SSK
I think they told the price to be around $2250. I am not sure if its a lowered price from their boxed piece price or not. The CN37 is listed on Kawai site for $2599. Not sure if its worth spending $2250 on a display piece of an outgoing model or to stretch it to $2599 for the new one on kawaius.com - considering I have already stretched the budget once. Could the new CN37 be priced lower in the stores than what is listed in kawai site now?

You're in the US, right? Assuming so, $2250 is WAY too high for a brand new in box CN35, let alone a floor model. At the end of December (i.e. before the CN37 was announced), a close family member bought a brand new CN35 (new in box) from a local Kawai dealer for $1800. Feel free to tell them that too and use it as leverage that other US dealers are selling them for $1800.

I think they're giving you MSRP or list price and not a sale price. Time to negotiate. wink

Similarly, you should also be able to get a new CN37 for at least a couple hundred less than the price direct from Kawai's US website.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
https://www.muziekhuisdacapo.nl/nl/...w-72879?gclid=cmqercks1necfcqv0wodezkija 1630 U$ incl tax (21%) and delivery. American prices are just @_@

If that is the range of your budget, might want to give Roland models a go with the pha-50 actions..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That price for a floor model is definately taking liberties....

K
K
Since you're seeing some significant budget escalation a good question to ask is how long are you planning to keep this for, and do you think at some point you'd be able to get an acoustic? If you might be able to buy an acoustic in a year or two, maybe it would be worth getting a used Yamaha DGX650/660 or a used casio px780/350 with stand/cgp700. $500-600, maybe less. It would probably be fine for the first year or two to supplement lessons on an acoustic the kids are getting. They would depreciate less than something bought new. Then you could sell it after a year or two when you buy an acoustic or better digital. Are aesthetics your main objection to 'portable' models? With a stand and triple pedal bar they should be roughly as sturdy and except for possibly weaker speakers as good a piano substitute as similarly spec'd 'cabinet' models. If the aesthetics are a real issue, that's a perfectly legitimate consideration of course.

Also, at these prices I'd definitely look into the Roland DP603 as well.

S
SSK Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences about various digital pianos. I bought the Kawai CN35 today from a local dealer and will be picking it up in next few days.

Originally Posted by technical ko
You're in the US, right? Assuming so, $2250 is WAY too high for a brand new in box CN35, let alone a floor model. At the end of December (i.e. before the CN37 was announced), a close family member bought a brand new CN35 (new in box) from a local Kawai dealer for $1800. Feel free to tell them that too and use it as leverage that other US dealers are selling them for $1800.

Interesting, but I checked the post a bit late. I bought the CN35 for $2088 and will be picking it up in next couple of days. Could you please PM the details?

Originally Posted by kickthetiger
Since you're seeing some significant budget escalation a good question to ask is how long are you planning to keep this for, and do you think at some point you'd be able to get an acoustic?

We are expecting our kids to use this DP for at least 5 years, or even more. With 5 years labor and parts warranty from Kawai, I hope to have this in good working condition for a long time. One of my friend has one acoustic which he does not use these days (in good condition, may be just out of tune) and has offered me to take it. I will bring it to my house when the need arise. So I will not be buying an acoustic any time soon.

Are aesthetics your main objection to 'portable' models? With a stand and triple pedal bar they should be roughly as sturdy and except for possibly weaker speakers as good a piano substitute as similarly spec'd 'cabinet' models. If the aesthetics are a real issue, that's a perfectly legitimate consideration of course.

Aesthetics is one of the criteria too. As for portables, we need to go with the cabinet type stand which doesn't look that great. The X frames are too delicate the kids could bring the piano down when they run around in the living room where the piano will be kept.

Thanks!

Last edited by SSK; 01/22/17 01:00 AM.
K
K
Congratulations on your purchase. You ended up with something great and should be happy with it for years to come.

T
T
Originally Posted by SSK
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences about various digital pianos. I bought the Kawai CN35 today from a local dealer and will be picking it up in next few days.

Originally Posted by technical ko

Interesting, but I checked the post a bit late. I bought the CN35 for $2088 and will be picking it up in next couple of days. I see that you are in twin cities, I too live there. Is your family member in twin cities as well? Then the chances are he/she bought it from Schmitt Music who is the only dealer for Kawai in MN. Do you know which store they bought the CN35 from? I will talk to the store and try to match it.

Very cool. I'll PM you the details.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congrats SSK!

I hope the piano brings your family a lot of musical happiness.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
Originally Posted by Hendrik42

CN37 coming out now, get the CN35 while its cheap :-)

To be honest, I do not think CN35 is cheap at the moment. The truth is I have seen some price drop just today, but still... Taking Thomann.de eshop prices:
KAWAI CN35 - 1444 EUR, KAWAI CN37 - 1622 EUR.
Somehow, 11% difference between brand new model and 3 years old model is not satisfying - unless balance slider is must for you. Also, I talked about CN35 purchease with some local dealers and they are absolutely convinced about selling CN35 for more or less "full price" and didnt want to hear a word about sale. Who knows, maybe it is too soon for such negotiations.

What price range are you looking at now? If it's up to $2k or so another model to consider would be the Roland DP603. Erpiano and similar discount retailers might get you 10-15% off or offer some financing deal.

How much would you prefer PHA-50 over RHA-III? If it is 1600 EUR for KAWAI CN37 and 1800 EUR for Roland DP603, would you rather choose Roland?

Originally Posted by SSK

Congratulations for new piano. I am sure your twins will have a lot of fun with this instrument!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission