2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2603185 01/11/17 09:57 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
I thought it would be nice to consolidate photos, videos, etc. on one thread for NAMM this year.

In anticipation of the show, are there any questions from members for those of us in the industry who are going? Principals from the smaller manufacturers (and sometimes the larger ones) are often present so this is a good opportunity to get news "from the horse's mouth".

This show looks to be a bigger piano spread than it has been recently so I am looking forward to the visit.

Cheers!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Hi Rich,
You could ask all of them why the V-bars on their grands and uprights have obviously different specifications?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Hi Rich,
You could ask all of them why the V-bars on their grands and uprights have obviously different specifications?

You forgot to ask Rich to ask them why their hammers are all way too heavy and hard! wink

Last edited by Keith D Kerman; 01/11/17 12:43 PM.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman

You forgot to ask Rich to ask them why their hammers are all way too heavy and hard! wink

Oh no..... Sometimes it is too easy, Keith. My apologies to PW. smile

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman

Oh no..... Sometimes it is too easy, Keith. My apologies to PW. smile

blush

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Keith,
I left room for you to bring that subject up.

See how generous I am. Who else is that generous? I mean everybody is always thanking me for my generosity. I must be the most generous person God ever created! But I have also learned it is more important to be the most humble person in the world! So that is what I have become. Humble!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Keith,
I left room for you to bring that subject up.

See how generous I am. Who else is that generous? I mean everybody is always thanking me for my generosity. I must be the most generous person God ever created! But I have also learned it is more important to be the most humble person in the world! So that is what I have become. Humble!

You are bigly generous and even biglier humble. You should enter some kind of Zen Buddhism competition. You would kick ass.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Yes Keith,
Buddhism is the best training ground for Mixed Martial Arts fighting! I am off to be a master today. May the farce be with you!

W
W
Hi Rich, years ago Charles Walter was going to release a 50 inch piano, always wondered what happened with that, are there still plans to do that?? Maybe you could ask??

waltw #2604338 01/14/17 12:50 PM
Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by waltw
Hi Rich, years ago Charles Walter was going to release a 50 inch piano, always wondered what happened with that, are there still plans to do that?? Maybe you could ask??

Hi WaltW,

I am happy to do that. As a Walter dealer I can tell you that is has not been a priority for them, but it bears talking about.

Thanks,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
So, some fun stuff has happened over the last couple of days. Some piano technician friends are going that I did not expect to see. That should be fun!

Additionally, a member of my staff will be evaluating some pianos for PianoBuyer, so we will get in before the actual convention begins. This means "behind the scenes" photos!

Cheers,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
I guess a big subject this year won't be pianos but Trump.
As was on the recent Chicago Auto show.

Norbert smirk

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Additionally, a member of my staff will be evaluating some pianos for PianoBuyer,

Cool. Can you tell us which pianos your staff will be evaluating?

Enjoy yourself at NAMM, Rich.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A small warning to those coming to NAMM: bring your umbrella! It has been a wet year, and we are expecting plenty of rain through Sunday.

Come see the special Kawai 90th anniversary 6 1/2 foot Plexiglass piano!

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Link to a photo and video:

The Day Before NAMM

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by KawaiDon
A small warning to those coming to NAMM: bring your umbrella! It has been a wet year, and we are expecting plenty of rain through Sunday.

Come see the special Kawai 90th anniversary 6 1/2 foot Plexiglass piano!

See you later today Don.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
A few things I saw today....

[Linked Image]

A ContraBass Trumpet!

[Linked Image]

A hotrod Seiler.

[Linked Image]

A visit to Kim's Pianos, the Los Angeles dealer for The Matchless Cunningham pianos.

Also a cool new app. for the Disklavier ... that the general public won't see until the spring.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
D
D
A few things I saw today....

[Linked Image]

A ContraBass Trumpet!

[Linked Image]

A hotrod Seiler.

[Linked Image]

A visit to Kim's Pianos, the Los Angeles dealer for The Matchless Cunningham pianos.

Also a cool new app. for the Disklavier ... that the general public won't see until the spring.

That app is indeed cool! That essentially solved quite a few technical challenges a non-pro would face trying to do a video with decent audio.

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
K
K
Hi, y'all.

Thanks to my friendly local Kawai dealer who arranged badges for Yvonne and me (Hi! Bozkurt @ San Mateo Piano) we had the pleasure of spending the last day of NAMM, roaming around, looking at everything piano.
It was my first visit to NAMM, and it was fun. Not only was it interesting to see the pianos, it was also interesting to note the camaraderie among the participants.

Here are some of my notes.

Kawai:

We visited the Kawai room the first thing in the morning. I got to try the SK-EX on display to my heart's content before the crowd arrived. I think it was a better instrument than those which I saw on Omotesando last year, and better represented the quality of the piano. They obviously took much care in preparing the piano, even for the last day. I got to thank the staff for the badges they provided for us.

Yamaha/Bösendorfer

I was able to spend some time at the "premium" piano room away from the main room. They had their new "SX" series which were an improvement on the older S series, but was a little disappointing compared to the excellent CF6 in the corner of the room. But on the other side of the room was a Bösendorfer 280VC, 214VC and a 200. The 280VC felt like a modern instrument, not like the 225, 275, 290 which are perhaps more nostalgic.

The 280VC was unmistakably a Bösendorfer with a xylophone-like wood-on-wood sound in the treble, but with a very long sustain. Its action regulation wasn't quite up to par, but it was singularity the most enjoyable Bösendorfer I've ever played. It may be the best piano Yamaha has ever sold. It sings and would be great not only for Schubert, Berg, Beethoven, but also for Ravel, Skryabin, etc...

I got to try the CFX and the "Klimt" Bösendorfer 214 in the main rom, amidst all the cacophony. I have never encountered a CFX I loved, and this one didn't seduce me either.

Ravenscroft:

I had heard of this builder who builds pianos on Sauter 275 and 220 case, but I had never encountered it. While its tone was clear, it lacked warm singing quality that I seek. I'd imagine some jazz pianists would like its sparkle, but it was not as lyrical as I would have loved.

However, its action was absolutely the best I've ever experienced. It uses the usual Renner actions, hammers, and Kluge keys, but it was the most frictionless action I've ever experienced. The upweight felt quite high, leaving Yvonne to think of it being too heavy, but the down weight felt normal.

When playing fast tremolo, the keys often don't come up as fast as my fingers do: Not with this piano. I've always thought there should be as little friction as possible in the actions, while maintaining the alignment of parts. I think I may have found nirvana here. Too bad it's tone wasn't terribly interesting to my ears.

Fazioli:

I got to see Paolo, Luca, Rick Baldassin (hi!) as well as Pierre whose surname I have forgotten and who represents Fazioli in the LA area.

The new F278-26xx was a rocket ship. It is utterly responsive, and still has among the smoothest actions I've ever experienced, almost equal to the aforementioned Ravenscroft 275. The set up was well done: the aftertouch not too much, and not too obtrusive. Voicing was superb, as always, giving the incomparably wide gamut of colors. But playing the newest Fazioli is like driving a race car, not that I have driven one. It requires utmost finesse, and relaxation. Any flaws in my playing are amply magnified, so I find it necessary to take a deep breath, relax, and perhaps play a little slower. However, when everything works, I'm rewarded with the most beautiful cantabile. I think I'd prefer the new Faziolis if I'm playing a big concerto, but I really like our 11-year old F308 that occupies a significant part of the living room. It's mellower and less on the hair-trigger.

Others:

Bluthner, Steingraeber, Grotrian, and Bechstrin were there in the big piano room as well. The Stringraeber E272 came with the "Mozart" lever that reduces the key drop to 8mm, and a mute that made it sound like a NY Steinway straight out of the factory. The effect was not too drastic and was interesting, but I cannot see it being a must-get feature. The "Mozart" lever as well as Fazioli's 4th pedal are far more useful.

I was hoping to see, but they didn't have the carbon fiber soundboard or the Bridge-Agraffe pianos.

The Blüthner was out of tune. Never liked Grotrian very much, and Bechstein only showed their smaller models.

Actually, I don't think I touched a piano less than 7' at the show, the smallest being the Fazioli F212, followed by the Bosendorfer 214 "Klimt". I'm from the "bigger the better" school of pianos, I'm afraid, although I have never tried a Rubenstein, though.

I said hello to the three reps from SAP who had a booth behind Fazioli, showing a gorgeous looking Blüthner concert grand. Too bad it's regulation was not up to what I expected.

However, after a brief conversation, I began to wonder if I could make a business shipping old Steinways one container at a time (I should be able to pack 13-15 in a 40' container, and be it would be cheaper to ship them together than shipping two pianos) then selling them to wherever there may be a demand. I'd have to sell several containers of pianos if I quit my software engineering job in Silicon Valley, though.

There were lots of Chinese manufacturers. The folks from Yantai (Kingsburg) looked sad across the aisle from Fazioli, and my ears literally hurt when one of the reps started to play BÄ…darzewska- Baranowska's "Maiden's Prayer" badly. I guess it is popular in China as it was in Japan when I was growing up there.

I am beginning to think I am in the wrong industry.

Ken:

Thanks for at least one post pertaining to something new from NAMM....

Norbert thumb

Last edited by Norbert; 01/23/17 09:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission