2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 43 44
P
P
I get it that there is a Bluetooth/WiFi capability omitted. Besides speakers and price points, any reason to get the FP-90 instead of this RD-2000?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
FP90 does have midi over BT, sheet turning feature and BT audio - its basically the same machine as HP and LX range.

This new RD2000 has two expansion slots to expand its already large onboard sound libraries.
Also if you read the rest of this by now huge thread lol you will find many other differences ^^

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
P
P
Originally Posted by Percivale
I get it that there is a Bluetooth/WiFi capability omitted. Besides speakers and price points, any reason to get the FP-90 instead of this RD-2000?

No smile

Last edited by polo1; 01/20/17 04:00 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NotaBene
Well there's no way to tell because they don't communicate on their tech at all.

V-Piano is supposed to be modeled, but the V-Piano in the latest is not customizable as the V-Piano, and then the SuperNatural is supposed to be based on modeling, but is in fact based on PCM and some modeling. And the PCM is basic sampling.

Roland claimed in the RD-800 the first piano was V-Piano tech, in fact it was sampled from the V-Piano, but wait, it was supernatural so how could it be sampled? Etc.

Here it's the same, it's labeled V-Piano on the box but it's the same audio engine they call Supernatural modeled on the LX series, which we know is based on samples, etc.

Roland makes great instruments, and the RD-2000 probably is, but they lie all the time about what's in there in reality. In most countries this is subject to law pursuits based on the fact you cannot advertise something that isn't really in the product. So Roland is at risk for such a class action yes, and it's only a matter of time when it will happen to them, because they do in all their products, for very long time. Imagine a generation of products from Roland is universally recognized as bad by the customers, what will they do in this age of social networking?

Roland knows it and that's why they don't communicate on the technical specs of their products, but reverse engineering these days can find it out easily, again, it's only a matter of time since someone is really pissed about that and works in a lab with a few tools to check it out.

Yamaha, Kawai, Casio, Nord, etc, they do communicate on the tech specs, and they can defend their innovation as much as Roland, who claims they have to remain secretive against the competition, when they actually try to avoid the type of industrial hazard a class action of abused customers would be.

The mechanism begins to show the bare rope on some other branches than the piano, if it's based on the same tech they claim is new and isn't, it will show in the piano dpt as well, and we're not done with this question of Roland fooling you with marketing scams, you'll see.

But the RD-2000 is certainly a nice piano though, in fact you already have pieces of it if you already have other Roland products, it's a pure mash up of various older or current devices, and its novelty claims, for the most part, is just not true - like in "Anaheim is the Capital City of the Moon" not true.

So many factual inaccuracies, and silly opinions, it doesn't merit more of a response than. "That was the silliest thing I've ever read, and I'm dumber for having read it"

Jay

Industry Consultant
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Hi Jay

Did you play a pre production RD-2000 before you left by any chance?

P
P
It supposedly starts shipping in March...

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
I have the RD 700NX. I use only two sounds. The Concert Grand and the SA E piano 1. I found the other piano sounds cut down from the concert grand and LACKING. The E pianos are very good, but not excellent, somewhat two dimensional with no sweat and grit. I go for Keyscape for these. The 800 never seemed right to me, in particular the body seemed flimsy, in comparison to the 700. I never played it for long, but decided not to buy.

The 2000 seems to have gone back to the 700NX. The 700NX does not make a good controller keyboard - except for its superb action. There are only four faders and the Roland joystick is not the same as a mod wheel - for me.

I will definitely check out the 2000. 9 faders and some rotary knobs make it more feasible as a controller.

I have two real Hammonds here, and a Nord C2. The 700NX, and the C2 never get turned on for Hammond sounds. I hear the 2000 has an engine for Hammonds, and it is very interesting that you get drawbars in eight - not like the 700Nx's paltry four.
The other annoyance with the 700NX was rooting through obscure menuies on a matchbox sized display. I don't think this has been fixed. Why cant we just plug in a tablet and see screen large? It's a common issue with all sorts of keyboards.
In the end it is the sound though, and I bet the piano at least is excellent.

Z

P
P
Originally Posted by ZeroZero
The 800 never seemed right to me, in particular the body seemed flimsy, in comparison to the 700.

This was a concern of mine as well - they lightened the 800 up (from the 700) because, I guess, some people thought the 700 was a bit too "heavy" for gigging...?

According to the specs and videos - the 2000 is the same weight as the 800...

R
R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5xvQ9FnslM

1:56 "As well as SOME of the acoustic sounds" following from a what is supernatural and editable statement.

So does that mean we might stand a chance for a couple of good strings/brass!? ... It's concerning how quickly these kind of details are always brushed by in the demos, and not to be found in any spec lists anywhere!

P
P
What is the big significance of having both USB MIDI and USB audio?

They seem to be making quite a big deal of this in the new RD-2000.

polo1 #2606552 01/20/17 06:20 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by polo1

SOmme synthesizer have both.

USB MIDI could be handy to record what you are playing. It can also be used to control virtual instruments on your PC.

USB Audio could be handy to record the sound of the piano. And it is a digital transmission (no noise).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I believe the Yamaha S90 also has on-board audio interface capability (interface sold separately).

In a nutshell, this means no need for an external audio interface. This is assuming no need to record an entire band at once (separate lines for each instrument). For that you might need something with more audio inputs.

B
B
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
Originally Posted by polo1

SOmme synthesizer have both.

USB MIDI could be handy to record what you are playing. It can also be used to control virtual instruments on your PC.

USB Audio could be handy to record the sound of the piano. And it is a digital transmission (no noise).

quite a lot of Synths have this now - my MOXF even - has 4 channel USB In/Out Audio plus Midi - although I believe audio limited to 44khz unlike the Roland

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Hi Jay

No sir.

I did not even hear a whisper about it.

Jay

Industry Consultant
P
P
Well hope it has the sounds to play Axel F, Van Halen's Jump, Dire Straits' Sultans of Swing, and Gary Numan's Cars, correctly... lol

Last edited by polo1; 01/20/17 07:09 PM.
JayGVan #2606579 01/20/17 07:49 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by JayGVan
Hi Jay

No sir.

Jay

Okay, interesting. I just wondered because you have got yourself an FP-90 I think...it seems like a real sweet spot in the range and had that been obtained with knowledge of the RD-2000 it would make the FP an even more compelling option to consider if you'd chosen it over the RD. But seeing as you weren't aware of the RD then my point is, well, pointless!

Cheers,

Steve

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Jay

No sir.

Jay

Okay, interesting. I just wondered because you have got yourself an FP-90 I think...it seems like a real sweet spot in the range and had that been obtained with knowledge of the RD-2000 it would make the FP an even more compelling option to consider if you'd chosen it over the RD. But seeing as you weren't aware of the RD then my point is, well, pointless!

Cheers,

Steve

The good news.....I have yet to pony up the dough for the FP-90. Although I likely still will. (It rates higher on the Wife acceptance factor) I will reserve opinion until I have a chance to play an RD-2000. My former boss at Roland told me I could do staff purchases for as long as I wanted. I guess that's the benefit of being a good company guy for a lot of years.

Jay

Industry Consultant
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Jay,

When you get a chance to try the RD-2000 please let us know what you think of it. It would be nice to know more about the V-Piano sounds. Are they the HP-LX or more like the V-Piano?

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
JayGVan #2606675 01/21/17 04:48 AM
N
N
Hi Jay

No sir.

Jay

Cheers,

Steve

The good news.....I have yet to pony up the dough for the FP-90. Although I likely still will. (It rates higher on the Wife acceptance factor) I will reserve opinion until I have a chance to play an RD-2000. My former boss at Roland told me I could do staff purchases for as long as I wanted. I guess that's the benefit of being a good company guy for a lot of years.

Jay

So for you the FP-90 is the better deal. You seem to know a lot about Roland DPs, I think it's safe to say it's very wise to follow your lead on this, if you say it's the best, knowing what you know, we're lucky to get this tip wink wink

Have a good evening

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by NotaBene
So for you the FP-90 is the better deal.

All I heard Jay say was that for his wife's budgetary concerns, the FP-90 was the better deal.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
Page 5 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 43 44

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission