2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Maybe we are at cross purposes. I'm sticking to my guns. To my mind it's effectively the key activating the sensors. If the sensors were where they would be struck by the reciprocal weighted part of the hammer, i.e., the hammer 'head', then I'd agree with you.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
[i]
Start a new f****** thread. smile

I will, another day, seems noone ever talks about it though, I don't know of anyone owning one here, seeing it is still a keyboard of sorts.

Anyway, I was just mesmerised by that toy the few couple of times I tried it comparing to more conventional keyboards, must be just me and my obsession with it. :P smile

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 01/20/17 08:31 PM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Anyway, I was just mesmerised by that toy ...

I think the key word is ... toy.

My local music store also had that keyboard on display. I choose to ignore it.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Maybe we are at cross purposes. I'm sticking to my guns. To my mind it's effectively the key activating the sensors. If the sensors were where they would be struck by the reciprocal weighted part of the hammer, i.e., the hammer 'head', then I'd agree with you.

Yeah I would feel better too if it was the hammer head contacted the sensor, though I don't think that physics-wise it follows.

One key fact, most visible in the Yamaha image: you can strike the key hard enough to impart momentum on the hammer, which will follow through its travel and strike the sensor even if the key never bottoms out. In other words, the key is not physically connected to the hammer, which flies on its own.

Because of you are arguing that it is really the key pressing the sensor due to the position under the lever, then it would be exactly the same problem even if it was the weighted end hitting the sensor. In the end it is still "the key" doing the hitting and it's still ignoring the independent momentum of the hammer.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Apologies to Dave...we are OT!

But....to my mind the obvious place to have a sensor or sensors would be where the 'sensors' are in an acoustic piano, i.e., the strings are the 'sensors'. This is where the hammer strikes but I've never seen images that suggest the sensor position in any DP is in a place comparable to that point. I know the AG has optical sensors on keys and hammers. And the wooden Kawais' sensors are closer to the weighted part of the hammer than other conventional DPs although they are still nearer to the part of the hammer activated by the ends of the key rather then the weighted part of the hammer. It's probably an academic point because it's the results that count but even so...

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
The ultra-exotic Alpha piano (does it exist yet?) purports to have the sensor where the strings would be, as far as I can tell: http://www.alpha-piano.com/beschreibung-alpha-piano

Greg.

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Alexander Borro
. . .
The internal engines in digitals do not use midi to connect with the build in sound engine ... AFAIK, I may be wrong though, but logically, I don't see why they would, they can program whatever they like to connect the action with the sound engine, for example, yamaha smooth release in the CLPs. MIDI is used with VSTs and such .. true.

I do vaguely recall in some cases people mentioning loading midi files to play back in their digitals on some models, that some of the nuances were lost, Not sure though, just a vague bit of memory. smile

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. In most DP's (mine, for example), the connection between the keyboard and the sound generator _is_ a MIDI data stream:

. . . You can record the MIDI data, and play it back,
. . . and it sounds the same as when you played it "live".

There are some subtleties -- "double-precision" MIDI (useless IMHO), and some keyboard actions send "note-off velocity" (which controls the speed of damping in the sound generator).

But basically:

. . . Press or release a key -->
. . . . . Generate MIDI data -->
. . . . . . . MIDI data is input to sound generator -->
. . . . . . . . Sound generator output is sent to amps and speakers.

There might be something beyond that in some very-high-end DP's -- the DisKlaviers, Avant Grands and V-Grand and such. But for everything from a Casio CTK keyboard to a Kawai CA97, that's a good model.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
While we are obsessed by off-topic technical details (sorry...), this is from Kurzweil's MP20 product page:

"Great piano control starts with the keyboard action and the MP20 has one of KURZWEIL's best proprietary hammer-action keyboards. Hammer motion, not key motion, is sensed to provide the most accurate dynamic control possible."

It must be something really fancy and unique, right? Hammers swinging freely like in a grand? Or AvantGrand.

Here it is on the left side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1QQB21QeE&feature=youtu.be&t=1m8s

So, if you go for the optional Fatar action, which is supposedly an "upgrade" you end up with an "inferior" action where the sensors are triggered by the keys instead of the hammers. Yuck!

R
R
I guess it is safe to say that self-absorbed people are either too lazy or ignorant of how to start their own thread.

Last edited by Rally; 01/21/17 09:44 AM.
P
P
Originally Posted by Rally
I guess it is safe to say that self-absorbed people are either too lazy or ignorant of how to start their own thread.

Ah i thought that the thread starter had all the answers he was appearently after :-)

Dave Horne Quote :

Well, thanks for listening. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky. smile

Everything else that has been discussed in the latter stages of this thread is therefor a huge bonus wow

R
R
Geeezz folks back OT. Dave I was the one that posted the "leaked" pic of the now RD2000 and I've already made the decision to go for it! I've owned an RD800 and it's nice, no complaints really except for that damn power cable debacle. However after reading Dave Ferris's mini review and PM'ing him, I'm pretty much sold. If I had the time this year I would have been at NAMM to try things out, but unfortunately I'm in NY and going across the nation wasn't happening this year the wife said lol. Anyway I appreciate that we have forum members here, always willing to give useful information and experiences. To me the RD2000 is a no brainer when compared to the RD800 because of the inclusion of the V-Piano engine with its extensive editing. Now for $2499 you get a better action, v-piano tech, improved supernatural EP's, flash wave expansion to download new sounds and much more comprehensive master keyboard controller features all in a package that is still relatively giggable. I'll take it! I'd say cough up the extra cash and spend your money once rather than get something you know will probably sell after you play the latest and greatest. I see the RD2000 as being a purchase that will last a while for me because of many of the uncompromising technologies included in it. When I need new piano sounds I simply construct them with the V-piano tech. When I want a different kind of vintage EP I simply mess around with the supernatural parameters to create "my sound". Finally when I need "other" sounds I simply go on the Axial site and download them.

Last edited by Rhodie73; 01/21/17 10:37 AM.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
M
M
Very much enjoyed reading all these thoughts, and I personally am about to place a pre-order for the RD-2000 with Sweetwater because it simply gives me all the MIDI functionality I need, whereas the RD-800 I have now is AWESOME but not the best for MIDI. Anyone who is interested in the RD-800 in the USA, I have one for sale on Ebay right now. Excellent condition and comes in flight case with pedal and manual.

I figure with my Nord Electro 5D and an RD-2000, that should cover most any hardware and software needs.

Here is a link, and I am open to counter offers as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/122325430978?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Last edited by Macsaint777; 01/25/17 05:17 PM.

Nord Electro 5D, Roland RD-2000, Lots of plugins, MacBook Pro 2016 TouchBar, Focusrite Clarett 8Pre, Grace Design M920, QSC K 12s, Focal CMS 65s.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Macsaint777, welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted by Macsaint777
I personally am about to place a pre-order for the RD-2000 with Sweetwater because it simply gives me all the MIDI functionality I need, whereas the RD-800 I have now is AWESOME but not the best for MIDI.

May I ask what kind of MIDI functionality the RD-2000 offers that is lacking in your RD-800?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Kawai James

May I ask what kind of MIDI functionality the RD-2000 offers that is lacking in your RD-800?

Kind regards,
James
x

The RD-2000 has an internal USB interface, so you don't need a sound card. You can go directly from a soft synth through USB into the speakers of the RD-2000. You can record directly from the RD-2000 to the computer without audio cables, etc.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
Online Content
Beakybird, yes you're right.

However, while certainly useful, I'm not sure that's not strictly MIDI related, is it?

Cheers,
James
x

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
It's an audio interface. You can record audio directly to DAW without 1/4" cables. I assume it's MIDI capable. I read somewhere though that the audio is 44khz, inferior to most soundcards.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
Online Content
Beakybird, again, the RD-2000's built-in audio interface is undoubtedly very useful.

However, Macsaint777 mentioned that his/her RD-800 is "not the best for MIDI", so I was thinking more along the lines of how the board is used controlling zones, key ranges, etc.

I expect Macsaint777 will return shortly to confirm if he/she was referring to the built-in audio interface on the RD-2000, or another improvement more specifically related to MIDI functionality.

Cheers,
James
x

M
M
Apologies for being away so long! I was specifically referring to the knobs and faders that are set up to govern 8 different zones, and very easily with the touch of the red/green indicator LED buttons. I used to use (I did indeed sell it last week) my RD-800 for controlling various MIDI parameters in Omnisphere and Keyscape (Spectrasonics) but I was always bothered by the fact that the RD did not have a modulation wheel. I typically assigned my modulation function, usually filter cutoff- to one of the knobs on the RD. I found the knobs not so good for sweeping filter cutoff quickly, and I am hoping the RD-2000 does not have the same stopping point in the middle of the knobs as the RD-800 does. I placed a pre-order for the RD-2000 with Sweetwater and just order a new MacBook Pro to replace my late 2013 model, so I am looking forward to have a vast amount of power and MIDI capability on hand. With the RD-2000 covering keyboard sounds, my Nord Electro 5D covering Organ and whatever samples I need to import, and then the Mac for software, I think that should do it for me! Speaking of MIDI and the RD-800, I also found the lack of versatility for external controls to be rather frustrating. Example: I hooked up a Jupiter 80 (which I sold last week as well) to the RD-800 and I could not find a way to transmit ONLY keyboard MIDI and not controller MIDI to the JP-80. It was really strange because even my Nord E5D, which I consider very very basic in the MIDI department- has the ability to not receive external controls and still have its sounds triggered. The way Scott Tibbs shows the RD-2000 working so well with MainStage, it looks like they designed it with a good deal more "Master-Controller" functionality in mind, whereas the RD-800 is a fantastic stage piano, it is not best as a MIDI controller beyond basic functions. Kawai James, Thank you for the welcome! Good to be here! Dave Ferris, you were instrumental (yes pun intended) in my decision to pre-order the RD-2000. Sweetwater matched the price AltoMusic quoted me, which was a GOOD BIT under list for the RD-2000, so according to Sweetwater, February 12 is when they expect the RD-2000 to arrive. Can't Wait!

I work as Apple tech support and type for a living as a Senior Advisor. Please forgive any typos as I have been typing for a good 12 hours now.

Blessings!

Nord Electro 5D, Roland RD-2000, Lots of plugins, MacBook Pro 2016 TouchBar, Focusrite Clarett 8Pre, Grace Design M920, QSC K 12s, Focal CMS 65s.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
Online Content
Macsaint777, thanks for the clarification.

It certainly sounds like you'll have an excellent setup between the Roland, Nord, and Mac!

Cheers,
James
x

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission