2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 26 27
K
K
meco73 ... have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM9QW64Lfpo
Well, about the key action, it seems to be faulty as the ES100 was faulty also in some complaints I found on the web. The key action is very important to me, so I've just went with Roland Fp30 that is prooved to have more firm and sturdy key action, long lasting in time...plus much more superior piano sound and usb connection, usb saving recording data on, playing your favourite .wav songs from a usb stick, and in my country a better price.
about other keybed problems with Kawai ES100 see this post also: https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2205900/Help:_Dying_keys_on_digital_pi.html

Last edited by Korny; 01/18/17 02:08 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tom Fort
James-

Can you discuss the changes made to the action?

Also, can you confirm the sounds and sensors remain the same?

Thanks.

For what it's worth: The German video that James linked above quotes "improved sensors" when discussing the new action.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Hello squidbot,

Congrats on your ES110, and thank you for sharing your thorough unboxing pics, always nice to see. wink

Originally Posted by squidbot
Kawai James, so here's the problem I'm encountering. For the most part, when I press the keys, they are quiet and all I hear is the key thump, which is what I expect. However, the A2 key as well as the E3, E4 and E5 all emit a slight rattle or buzz when pressed. If you watch this video, it's most obvious at around 19 seconds in. Is this normal and some keys are just going to make a little extra noise or is it something I need to engage the warranty on?

To be honest, I'm always a little weary about commenting on this kind of 'keyboard action noise' video - regardless of the manufacturer. The videos are usually recorded in a quiet environment, with just the sound of the keys being pressed (i.e. no piano sound produced by the instrument), and captured using a smartphone mic that automatically raises the recorder gain to boost low-levels. Watching such videos with headphones, one can easily get the impression that an action is incredibly noisy, when in reality - or at least in regular playing circumstances - this may not necessarily be the case.

That's not to say that the ES110 you have received is absolutely flawless. I have watched the keyboard noise video a few times, and can hear some slight rattle along with the key thump (which the iPhone mic emphasises). However, I'm afraid it's impossible for me to judge if this is normal or a problem that needs to be addressed.

My recommendation would be to raise this matter with my colleagues at Kawai America via the contact addresses listed at www.kawaius.com. I shall also forward them links to your forum post and YouTube video to ensure that everyone is kept in the loop.

In the meantime, may I kindly request that you change the status of the keyboard clip from 'Public' to 'Unlisted' in YouTube's video manager.

Thank you once again for your unboxing pics, and for querying the keyboard sound. I'm confident that my colleagues at Kawai America will do their best to assist you with this matter, and if necessary, resolve any issues with your instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OP Online Content
Korny, congrats on your FP-30, it's a great board. wink

Cheers,
James
x

K
K
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Korny, congrats on your FP-30, it's a great board. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Hi James, Thank you!
Also, thank you for sharing a better sounding video presentation for ES110. This keyboard seems to be a good deal also, if the quality of fabrication for the keys will prove not to disappoint.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Kawai James. I understand not wanting to try to do tech support based on a bad video smile I will follow up with Kawai support as you suggest, it's actually much more audible than is evident on the recording and it can be heard clearly when the instrument has sound on. I also unlisted the video, but left it linkable, I don't want to come off as disparaging the instrument. Aside from the minor issue, I played with it for several hours last night and I'm really, really pleased with it. The action is fantastic and the piano sound is such a huge upgrade from what I had previously. I primarily use headphones as not to disturb the rest of my household and I noticed some really impressive "little things" like when you depress the sustain pedal they've actually sampled the noise of the dampers leaving the strings. Wow!

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
ES110 New Features & Improvements
  • New: Responsive Hammer Compact keyboard action
  • New: Bluetooth MIDI connectivity
  • New: Line Out jacks
  • Improved: 3.0 kg lighter than ES100 (15.0 kg --> 12.0 kg)
  • Improved: Larger, more powerful speakers (12x8 cm --> 12 cm)
  • Improved: Ability to toggle effects on/off from panel
  • Improved: Ability to toggle rotary speaker effect speed from panel
  • Improved: Ability to disable speakers and select 'Flat EQ' when using Line Out jacks
  • Improved: Virtual Technician iOS app support

Nice upgrade! I find Bluetooth MIDI a much more useful addition than scrapping the native MIDI for USB like other manufacturers did. Smart decision!

How is the key length of the new RH-C action compared to the old AHA-IV-F?

Yamaha P-515
P
PBL Offline
P
Does the Bluetooth MIDI include page turn functionality?

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by JoeT

This information is indicated in Kawai's internal materials, however it is not something that I can share publicly, I'm afraid. Sorry. ;(

Originally Posted by PBL
Does the Bluetooth MIDI include page turn functionality?

No, the ES110's Bluetooth MIDI implementation is only for transmitting/receiving MIDI data.

Kind regards,
James
x

Last edited by Kawai James; 01/20/17 02:51 AM. Reason: Internal materials, not dealer sales manuals

OP Online Content
Kawai Europe's English language video:

Nothing new (in terms of playing) if you've already seen the German version, however the narrated explanation may be useful.

Personally I prefer "ES-one-ten" to "ES-one-one-oh".

Cheers,
James
x

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P

This information is provided in the dealer sales manual, however it is not something that I can share publicly, I'm afraid. Sorry. ;(

So if I go to a Kawai dealer he can give me the answer - good or bad - if he so chooses? Or is he restricted from doing so? Or if not restricted, perhaps advised not to?

It seems to me, and I suspect would appear this way to others, that the only reason to "hide" this info if is the key length is shorter. Which does NOT necessarily mean the action is inferior - but it would likely be considered a negative by many folks. And perhaps the honest answer is that in order to lighten the keyboard weight, the new RH Compact action features a shorter key length.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The weight (and key travel) difference between the front and the back of the keys directly affects people with long fingers and short thumbs.

For example GHS keys are so short, that they are barely playable with the thumbs on the black keys, while the ES100 action is just fine, despite not being a concert grand action either.

I'm surprised, I expected some more or less specific answer, but not really "it's confidential". laugh

Yamaha P-515
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by pwl
So if I go to a Kawai dealer he can give me the answer - good or bad - if he so chooses? Or is he restricted from doing so? Or if not restricted, perhaps advised not to?

Sorry, I was mistaken. The information is indicated in our internal company materials (i.e. I am aware of the respective key lengths), however is not written in the dealer sales manuals.

I could have (and perhaps ought to have) simply responded "I'm sorry, I do not know", but prefer to be as honest with fellow PW users as possible.

Regardless of key length, the RH Compact action reproduces the touch (both static weight and dynamic weight) of an acoustic grand piano more closely than that of AHA IV-F. I believe this to be of greater importance than the keys of one being a few millimetres longer than the other.

Kind regards,
James
x

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
There's a nice side profile view of RH Compact and they've kindly even pointed out the exact pivot point in case it's hard to see:

http://www.kawai-global.com/mgr/wp-...ompact_action_labels_lighter_unsharp.png

That's just a photo on the product page, so it's not something that I needed to "hack" from Kawai:

http://www.kawai-global.com/product/es110/

So, looks better than GHS, Casio and Fatar TP-100. smile

OP Online Content
For example GHS keys are so short, that they are barely playable with the thumbs on the black keys, while the ES100 action is just fine, despite not being a concert grand action either.

I appreciate your point, however I'm confident that you will not encounter this problem when playing the RH Compact action.

I'm surprised, I expected some more or less specific answer, but not really "it's confidential". laugh

Digital piano keyboard action design is an important element of Kawai's IP. As such, I believe I can be forgiven for respecting the wishes of my engineering colleagues by not disclosing every specification in a public forum.

Kind regards,
James
x

D
D
***FLAT EQ***

One of the most important improvements is the FLAT EQ. . .Why Why Why Kawai haven't you added that option to es100 right from the beginning.

Ok line outs are welcome as well, but as an audio engineer i know that a flat Frequency Response is very important. The es100 sounds rather muddy and dull when connected to a P.A. because of the inner EQ applied to make it sound better on its own speakers. The es110 will definately sound much better than my es100 just because of the flat eq feature. This simple feature could have been included on the es100 to simply change the sound of the headphone outputs to get a flat frequency response resulting in a more balanced sound when connected to an external Mixer/P.A system. . .

Last edited by dominic70s; 01/21/17 07:57 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by dominic70s
One of the most important improvements is the FLAT EQ. . .Why Why Why Kawai haven't you added that option to es100 right from the beginning.

Planned obsolescence on ES100 or responsive R&D on ES110. Pick one.

D
D
I would go with the first one. . .Nine times out of ten thats the case.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
Page 4 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission