2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, Brendan, 1957, 10 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Davdoc Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have had this question in mind for a while, and I apologize if this is not the right forum to ask.

I am not referring to the description of piano tone, which is individual and of course highly subjective. Not being a scientist/engineer in this field, I am however interested to know whether there had been frequency analysis done on different piano's tone regarding relative composition/weight of overtones versus fundamentals.

I know a piano keystroke produces a complex response, and can be somewhat simplified to ADSR phases. I've heard in the A (attack) phase frequencies are chaotic, so I wonder whether there had been analysis on, say, the S (sustain) phase.

One of the reasons I am curious is that people often describe, categorically, that a certain brand's pianos emphasize more on the fundamentals (or vice versa). However, when I had the chance to try some of those makes (certainly very limited experience), I found all of them to be different. The thing is, none of those sounded close to what a tuning fork, supposedly the most pure fundamental, would sound.

I am not expecting a piano sound like a tuning fork, nor would I want that to happen.

Another example: Fazioli, a brand I haven't had the luxury to try, was often described to emphasize more on the fundamentals throughout its range. Yet all their models are designed to have tunable duplexes. If those duplexes are supposed to be tuned to allow for more sympathetic vibration, wouldn't that cause more overtones?

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I don't know what publicly-available resources are available for acoustic pianos. I'm sure that the makers of "sample libraries" for sample-based software pianos have lots of knowledge, and guard it carefully. As do the makers of Pianoteq, a "modelled software piano" with several different-sounding "virtual pianos".

Some of the Pianoteq instruments have been developed with the cooperation of their acoustic-piano manufacturers. So (to calibrate the model for a specific piano) they must have done careful measurements of overtone structures, decay times, and so on.

For digital pianos, there's a long, rich thread called the "Digital Piano Bullshit Detector" in the Digital Piano forum:

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1365103/The_DPBSD_Project!.html#Post1365103

Much of that thread is devoted to the question:

. . . How close to "acoustic piano" can a DP get?

It is sleeping, now -- Dewster is busy earning a living with real projects.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have any _acoustic piano_ examples.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I did a Google search for "piano harmonic structure brand comparison" and found this collection of lectures on page 2 of the results (page 1 was mostly "sponsored" listings):

https://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/contents.html

Lecture 1 contents:

Background
Landmarks in piano history
Thinking about the future
Basics of piano acoustics
Construction
String motion
Pitch, partials and inharmonicity
Sound radiation and impedance mismatch
Loudness versus sustain
The imperfect soundboard
That's all!

You might find it useful.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I wouldn't put too much stock in a precise meaning for the terms you referred to, there is no standard terminology for tone quality. I have heard people describe some pianos as emphasizing the fundamental, but to my ears they are full of much more upper partial energies than other pianos.

The best tone quality in my opinion is one that sounds warm and mellow when played soft but opens up with brilliance when played loud. Much like the voice of a skilled singer. Many pianos have reduced dynamics and tone color that does not change much with dynamics.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I suggest you ask the same question in the tuner and technician section here. There you will find kind souls who delight in such esoteric discussion.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Pianos do not have sustain, in the sense of ADSR.

Semipro Tech
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Look for the work of ("Painted Post Dave") Dave Koenig on YouTube. Here is one link to get your started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sfalZ_-EnY

Dave has probably done more work on analyzing piano sound than anyone else just now.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Yes, Dave has posted many interesting examples of piano tone analyses using Matlab. In his work there are, for example, many graphical illustrations of the decay of relative partial strengths over time across the piano's scale for several different brands of pianos. I remember one example of where he tries to determine the characteristics of a European sound vs American sound by this means.

Last edited by Chris Leslie; 01/23/17 05:02 PM.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
K
K

D
Davdoc Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you all for the great replies from which there are already a lot of interesting and substantial reads.

I think one thing that bugged me, when reading people talking about tones, was using terms of fundamentals and overtones. I fully appreciate subjective terms such as warm, bright, singing, "European" etc., descriptions that probably matter more musically, but as far as I know fundamentals and overtones are physical terms with clear definitions.

Last edited by Davdoc; 01/24/17 01:51 AM.

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission