2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
OP Offline
I
Pretty much as the title says. I'm just looking for some feedback on this piece really. Anything is good; I'm always looking for ways to improve and I love to hear people's thoughts on my music. Thanks guys :")

[video:youtube]D0wFUSNWN3E[/video]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Can you hire someone to record even just samples of it live instead of MIDI/GPO? Some of the last movement doesn't sound humanly possible to play upon brief listen (I skipped around due to not having 47 minutes to listen).

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Uhh... sorry.. it might be impressive that it was written in a week, but it shows. The harmonies are extremely strange and clumsy.. I heard enough in the first couple of minutes. The rhythm is boring... the music goes nowhere.

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp
Can you hire someone to record even just samples of it live instead of MIDI/GPO? Some of the last movement doesn't sound humanly possible to play upon brief listen (I skipped around due to not having 47 minutes to listen).
No because I'm 17 and even if I did have the money I still wouldn't because I want to be the first person to play it. Which parts specifically are you talking about in the finale? Can you give me time info?

The reason I didn't record myself playing it is because, honestly, a lot of the music I write, I'm not really at a level technique wise to play them efficiently. But my teacher has been encouraging me to write my ideas out anyway even if I'm not really at a level to play what's in my head. Because he said it will come in time. So that's what I've been doing.
Originally Posted by Svenno
Uhh... sorry.. it might be impressive that it was written in a week, but it shows. The harmonies are extremely strange and clumsy.. I heard enough in the first couple of minutes. The rhythm is boring... the music goes nowhere.
Strange and clumsy how? Can you please be more specific.

Last edited by izzychns; 01/30/17 05:23 PM.
T
T
Izzy,

It's better to have too little than too much. If you err on the side of too few notes, then at least you give the listener a chance to add their own notes. If you have too many/unnecessary notes, then it becomes clunky/sloppy/reckless and you are throwing away everything that you're trying to build. As an inspiration, try listening to the power of few notes:

Satie, Gnossienne 1,2,3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUAF3abGY2M

Once you've mastered the ability to control few notes, only then can you add more. Each note contains a lot of information if used properly. If you cannot live with keeping a single note left out, then add it. If you can live without it, then it's not needed.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."

- Einstein

In the context of music, interpret that as you please.

Last edited by TwelfthRoot2; 01/30/17 05:54 PM.

There is a big difference between knowing something and being good at executing. One is conscious, the other is subconscious, and the path to the subconscious does not usually lead through the conscious.
I
OP Offline
I
What I'm trying to understand is what's so sloppy about it. Maybe it would help if I provide the sheet music so that someone can give a better explanation.

Here is a link to the draft of the manuscript: [removed]

I apologize in advance for any errors, latency or sloppiness of how the score looks. I haven't had time to edit the layout because at this point I'm trying to see what I can do to make it better.

Last edited by izzychns; 01/31/17 02:03 AM. Reason: The piece isn't ready to be published yet
M
M
Bravo for the effort and time. Keep it up.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by msxoin
Bravo for the effort and time. Keep it up.

+1!

I think it's quite impressive.
I'd add, though, that to me, the beginning doesn't sound at all like a beginning -- it's more like, dunno, part of a development section, or near the end of the 'exposition' of a 1st movement, or......just about anything but a beginning. But it shows talent and ability.

Like Msxoin said: Keep it up!

I
OP Offline
I
thanks. although i am still kind of rattled over the negative comments. i really wanted to know what i did wrong frown but thanks.

Originally Posted by izzychns
thanks. although i am still kind of rattled over the negative comments. i really wanted to know what i did wrong frown but thanks.

Please try not to worry about them too much. I think they were judging you on an inappropriate standard, and without taking the trouble to at least also commend you on good aspects.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by izzychns

Hi Izzy
Focus on the concrete feedback you have received rather vague comments. You have received suggestions about improvement, as well as positive overall comments.

I would suggest that you take a few minutes to go back through the posts and list out the concrete suggestions you have received with an assigned category of 'thought and possible action'. Change your focus and you will be surprised at what you have learned.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
There are many ways to create. Some people think everything through very well and then just write an almost finished product down. Other people just "spit" it all out and then they start editing until it's a refined whole. Sometimes they write everything anew. Both ways work to create masterpieces. The latter probably would work for you. You look back at what you wrote and ask questions like "is this playable", "is there a reason I put this here", "what am I trying to achieve with this", "does this sound good" and so on. You learn this craft by doing and by help from more experienced people and sometimes you discard the whole thing or it becomes something totally different. But you are already a long way having the material to review. You might consider it raw material rather than a finished product.

D
D
I have not heard the file because I can't on this computer, but I looked at the score and it seems impressive. When I get some time and print capability I may play around with it.

Music does not have to be understood;
It has to be listened to.
- Hermann Scherchen.
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by D. S. F.
I have not heard the file because I can't on this computer, but I looked at the score and it seems impressive. When I get some time and print capability I may play around with it.
actually im probably gonna delete that because its just a draft of the manuscript anyway plus i want to make sure i can play it first before i let other people play it in other words before i actually publish the score ^^" sorry.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Come on. This is terrible.

Originally Posted by JoelW

It's better than I could do.
(Or at least it's more than I could do.) grin

So, if that's terrible, what adjectives you got for me....

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

More doesn't mean better, especially in this case.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C

More doesn't mean better, especially in this case.

Is this more of your trolling, JoelW? Are you just bitter and jealous of the OP's composing ability, and so you feel the need to put him down with this mean, rude statements? 99.9% of pianist cannot compose this work.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
99.9% of pianist cannot compose this work.

I agree. I certainly couldn't.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
99.9% of pianist cannot compose this work.

I agree. I certainly couldn't.

You cannot be criticizing this which you cannot do yourself.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission