Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#261038 - 05/16/08 02:06 PM Steinway Z
Benecs Offline

Hi!

What is your experience with the Steinway model Z upright piano? I have never played one, but there are some for pretty good value, others very expensive. Does it have the same quality as other models have, or is it the low budget hamburg steinway? I have nothing against its design, if the sound is a good as on other steinway uprights.

Thanks for your help,
Benecs

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#261039 - 05/16/08 02:31 PM Re: Steinway Z
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Coast
I am embarassed to say that I am not familiar with the "Z" model Steinway & Sons. Is this a new model or one from days gone by? Where have you seen them or heard of them?

#261040 - 05/16/08 02:49 PM Re: Steinway Z
Benecs Offline

John Lenon had one, and composed "Imagine" on it. But I still don't know, if it is as good, as other steinway models of similar size.

#261041 - 05/16/08 02:58 PM Re: Steinway Z
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What size? NY or Homburg?

#261042 - 05/16/08 03:02 PM Re: Steinway Z
PianoPro Offline

Loc: Iowa
This may get me crucified. Steinway without question is a premium grand piano builder. Their upright pianos are not so special. People tend to overpay for Steinway uprights based on the fanfare of the grand business they do. I find it unwarranted and would suggest you could spend far less on a better upright piano.

Now, let me get a running headstart before all you Steinway fanatics start firing shots at me! \:D
20 Year Industry Experience

"Tell the truth, honor God, and make money!"

#261043 - 05/16/08 03:09 PM Re: Steinway Z
Benecs Offline

It is a 114 cm instrument made in Hamburg. Let's say if I can get it for about 1000€, would it be worth? It is 20 years old.

#261044 - 05/16/08 03:18 PM Re: Steinway Z
DarkGreenChocolate Offline

Loc: Michigan
I'm open to the possibility of better-than-Steinway uprights, but I've never played one: I want names.

#261045 - 05/16/08 03:32 PM Re: Steinway Z
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
Steinway mdl.Z looks very much like a Yamaha M1 with the grand lid prop.It is 115 cm,no toe blocks and usually of higloss polyester being manufactured in Hamburg. Having never owned or played one,it is probably pretty decent being a late mdl. Hamburg mdl. with Renner action etc.

Pianopro,you're running for cover alot lately.Are you a martyr for punishment. \:D Good reason to be in the piano biz. \:\)
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#261046 - 05/16/08 03:38 PM Re: Steinway Z
PianoPro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianobroker:

Pianopro,you're running for cover alot lately.Are you a martyr for punishment. \:D Good reason to be in the piano biz. \:\) [/b]
Two things that are untouchable here at PW: Steinway and Larry Fine! :rolleyes:

Incoming!

#261047 - 05/16/08 04:21 PM Re: Steinway Z
PianoPro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkGreenChocolate:
I'm open to the possibility of better-than-Steinway uprights, but I've never played one: I want names. [/b]
I'll give you a few. Seiler, Bechstein, Schimmel. Here are a couple of dark horses: Petrof (nice uprights, fair prices)and...drum roll please...YAMAH! Hey, the U1 is tremendous and a top selling model globally. I'd rather play some of these than ANY Steinway I have ever played. I'm personally not as high on Kawai, but many people here are. Certainly wothy of consideration against Steinway UPRIGHTS (expensive and unimpressive).

I'm gonna get it for this one! :rolleyes:

#261048 - 05/16/08 04:31 PM Re: Steinway Z
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by PianoPro:
 Quote:
Originally posted by DarkGreenChocolate:
I'm open to the possibility of better-than-Steinway uprights, but I've never played one: I want names. [/b]
I'll give you a few. Seiler, Bechstein, Schimmel. Here are a couple of dark horses: Petrof (nice uprights, fair prices)and...drum roll please...YAMAH! Hey, the U1 is tremendous and a top selling model globally. I'd rather play some of these than ANY Steinway I have ever played. I'm personally not as high on Kawai, but many people here are. Certainly wothy of consideration against Steinway UPRIGHTS (expensive and unimpressive).

I'm gonna get it for this one! :rolleyes: [/b]
The one Charles Walter I've heard was quiet nice. Anyone heard the Bosendorfer upright? I don't remember anyone ever commenting on it, I assume it's a rare beast (prolly due to the cost, I assume).

#261049 - 05/16/08 04:52 PM Re: Steinway Z
koiloco Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
 Quote:
Originally posted by PianoPro:
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianobroker:

Pianopro,you're running for cover alot lately.Are you a martyr for punishment. \:D Good reason to be in the piano biz. \:\) [/b]

Incoming! [/b]
Nono, you missed 1 more :

Yamaha's are bright
Kawai's are mellow

\:D \:D

#261050 - 05/16/08 04:54 PM Re: Steinway Z
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Take away some of the interesting cabinets S&S has fielded over the years and IMO their vertical pianos are pretty lack luster, performance wise, for their price. IMO the exception is the K52 model. I will stack that beast up against any the world has to offer.

#261051 - 05/16/08 05:06 PM Re: Steinway Z
Rank Piano Amateur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Bosendorfer uprights are fabulous, but, as you pointed out, very expensive, especially for an upright. I have played wonderful Bosendorfer, Pleyel and Mason uprights. I play a Schimmel upright every week, accompanying a violinist friend, and it is astoundingly good. The owner purchased it used, and it is a terrific ambassador!

By the way, and by way of response to PianoPro, I do not think that anyone posting honest and fact-based opinions on this forum should be inhibited by any brand's fan group from doing so. It is truly a shame if anyone feels that they need to withhold legitimate, albeit subjective, opinions because they fear verbal attack that goes beyond appropriate disagreement. Of course, the level of discourse should ideally remain civilized and polite. But we all need to remember that any opinion about an individual piano must of necessity be at least somewhat subjective, and that reasonable persons can differ about the various brands. What makes this forum interesting and fun is at least in part the expression of differences of opinion. Inhibiting debate by indiscriminate use of ad hominem and irrelevant attacks would really wreck the effectiveness and fun of this (or any) forum.

Anyway, enough preaching. Sorry, but the idea that people cannot express their opinions because they fear verbal reprisal seems repellent. And it should not just be up to Ken Knapp to keep an eye on this--we should be able to control ourselves.

#261052 - 05/16/08 05:29 PM Re: Steinway Z
PianoPro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rank Piano Amateur:

the idea that people cannot express their opinions because they fear verbal reprisal seems repellent. And it should not just be up to Ken Knapp to keep an eye on this--we should be able to control ourselves. [/b]
Well, I have come to expect it. And frankly, I'm offering my opinion regardless! I'm pretty thick skinned, it's just the daily skinning that has me a bit tender! \:D Besides, I can't really afford better entertainment than this... ;\)

My disclaimer: My opinions are mine and mine alone. If they offend you, get over it. If you disagree, your in good company. If you agree, it's a miracle! \:\)

On a serious note, I just strive to maintaine a high level of integrity in an industry where our customers have become cynical and as competitors we are too often mean spirited. I'd like to see us as a community move past this. I'm 40 years old and have spent over half my life in this business. It's up to all of us, dealers and customers alike (yes, customers lie too!), to keep it clean and honest.

I have said it before and will say it one more: Tell the truth, Honor God, and make money!

#261053 - 05/16/08 05:34 PM Re: Steinway Z
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You will have to get your own lead-lined jock. Mine is in service.

#261054 - 05/16/08 07:13 PM Re: Steinway Z
Benecs Offline

Hm, thanks for the many responses, but I'd rather be interrested in your opinion about the model Z than your opinion about steinway globaly versus others. I think that's a mater of taste. I think the question, whether Bösendorfer, Blüthner, Bechstein or Steinway is better doesn't really make sense. All are wonderful instruments, but also very different, and this makes it possible for everyone to find his/her favourite. I think it's great to have these different pianos.

But now let's come back to the original question, the model Z!

#261055 - 05/16/08 07:20 PM Re: Steinway Z
DarkGreenChocolate Offline

Loc: Michigan
 Quote:
I'd like to try some of these. As I've said on other threads, I think uprights in general are woefully underrated. I do think the S&S 1098 is a very fine instrument, though indeed quite pricey if you buy new today. I wonder how many of those you mentioned are significantly cheaper. Yamaha, for ex., is v. good for the price, but not, to my taste, at any price.

I don't understand statements like the one about Yamaha being better than ANY Steinway. Pianos are so individual, esp. European or American ones.

#261056 - 05/17/08 12:01 AM Re: Steinway Z
g#maj Offline

Loc: No. Va
Benecs said: "I think the question, whether Bösendorfer, Blüthner, Bechstein or Steinway is better doesn't really make sense. All are wonderful instruments, but also very different, and this makes it possible for everyone to find his/her favourite. I think it's great to have these different pianos."

EXACTLY! We have choices, and that is wonderful. Let our ears, pocketbooks, and
(ir)rationality decide.

Sorry I can't help you on the Z. Never heard of it.

#261057 - 05/17/08 06:37 AM Re: Steinway Z
Benecs Offline

For those who haven't seen a steinway Z yet, here is a picture:

http://images.google.hu/imgres?imgurl=ht...ficial%26sa%3DN

#261058 - 05/17/08 08:57 AM Re: Steinway Z
doctorbaz Offline

Loc: UK
Benecs,

I've played a Z, a brand-new one, and it was really very nice indeed.

And for 1000 Euros an absolute steal. Buy it without hesitation at that sort of price. If you want to sell it on later, it will be very easy to do so with the S&S name, and you'll probably get back at least five times what you paid for it if you advertise it well.

#261059 - 05/17/08 01:17 PM Re: Steinway Z
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
I owned a Z until a couple of years ago. In fact it looked exactly like the one in your picture. Mine was 1970 and sounded great. It had a soft velvety tone and was very smooth to play. I sold it for £5000. If you can get that one for 1000 euros then good luck. My guess is that it will be considerably more than that.

#261060 - 05/18/08 05:46 PM Re: Steinway Z
Benecs Offline

Thanks for your replies! You seem to be right Chris, the piano is now at 1500€ on ebay. The auction ends tomorow. In the last minute this price will double itself I think, but I don't think one will pay 5000 for it unseen. I thought the price might stay low, because the case is in horrible condition. Many people wouldn't buy a piano if it looks that bad. There might be some techs looking at that piano. After refinishing and regualting, and with guarantee the piano sure will be worth a lot, but I'm not an expert...

#261061 - 05/18/08 07:41 PM Re: Steinway Z
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by Craigen:
Take away some of the interesting cabinets S&S has fielded over the years and IMO their vertical pianos are pretty lack luster, performance wise, for their price. IMO the exception is the K52 model. I will stack that beast up against any the world has to offer. [/b]
I'm no expert, but I love the sound of this K52...

Listen:

http://www.countrypiano.com/showroom/steinway/steinway-k-125896.htm

#261062 - 05/18/08 07:56 PM Re: Steinway Z
blue rondo Offline

Loc: Midlothian MD
 Quote:

Incoming!
I always felt that Moe Howard was the untouchable one. Moe used to pull Larry's hair and Larry would just make a funny sound, kind of like he was in pain . . . .

\:D \:D \:D

#261063 - 05/18/08 11:51 PM Re: Steinway Z
MAKitt Offline

Loc: Albuquerque/Rio Rancho NM
The Z I owned for a few years had ivory keytops, mfg. yr. 1959, maple cabinet finish (meaning blonde), 40" and Hamburg of course. It had a small tone, not gregarious. Never expressed well in the store due to white noise from rest of store but I thought it had potential in a home. That is where it was designed for as were other continental consoles due to smaller living spaces in Europe. One of my colleagues sold mine and I've regretted it since. My advice: buy lots of pianos. Enjoy, they have different personalities and can pull various moods and inspiraton from you.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
170 registered (accordeur, Akshay, acortot, 36251, 53 invisible), 1705 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153503 Topics
2249476 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
56 minutes 29 seconds ago
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
Today at 05:14 PM
Question about monitor speakers with keyboard
by peabody
Today at 04:00 PM
Disklavier to replace digital piano?
by Big Cheese
Today at 03:42 PM
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
Today at 02:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission