2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
Hi,

I'm trying to buy a new baby grand in the bay area, California, and have a budget of $15K to $20K. As I live in a small condo with lots of neighbors, a piano with silent system is preferred (though I'm still open to pianos without it)

I went to a nearby local dealer and tried Yamaha C1XTA. I really like the touch and I don't feel difference when the silent system is enabled. When putting on headphone, I feel little bit uncomfortable about the sound but maybe i'm just not getting used to it.

Some questions:
1. dealer is asking $24K before tax for C1XTA which is over my original budget.. Is it a good deal? Piano Buyer's SMP is $40K.
2. I'm also considering YAMAHA GC1MTA, he's asking $20K
3. any other recommended baby grands (preferrably with good silent system) that falls into my budget? I can go find it and try out.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

S
S
Hi LisztFan- not sure about the price, but it sounds good for the Bay area. Then again, it would be good if you could visit a few places to compare prices. If you are concerned about sound issues in your condo, have you considered a Yamaha AvantGrand? I'm asking, since they have a fairly good grand "feel," but are ideal for people who need to practice in silence (and cheaper than a C1XTA). I own a C2X (regular grand) and an AvantGrand N1. Being in an apartment, I find the N1 an excellent alternative to my C2X when I don't want to bother the neighbors. My dealer said he had a piano masters student who ended up relying on an N3 for home use and was quite pleased with it. Just an idea! Depending on where your condo (first floor vs. a top floor) and how cooperative your neighbors are, you can make an acoustic work. I'm on the first floor, so major sound that goes into the floor does not go into someone's apartment below me. I also make good use of thick rugs and furniture to absorb some sound and stick to extremely regular and conservative hours to not annoy people- no more than 1 hour a day on the acoustic and always before 8 pm. Good luck with the search!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission