2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 74 of 80 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 79 80
M
M
I was rehearsing with the band yesterday and had some strange problems on my mp7. I've got a setup with 2 different clav sounds on Main and sub1. Both have a wah lfo fx on the expression pedal. When i switched to the according setup, the main clav did not work. I messed with the volume slider, and the expression pedal, but that did nothing. I had to go into edit mode and change the clav sound and back again to get it to work. I hope this is a bug, because it is very annoying to mess around in the edit mode when on stage , trying to get any sound out of it. Anyone has this problem ? Or a fix for this? Im still on 1.13 btw
greetings
Marcel

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Marcel,

May I ask if you can save the SETUP file and upload it for me to check, please?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
Thanks James for your quick response.

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Regarding your query, may I ask if you can perhaps create a recording from the NS2 of the kind of effect you're trying to recreate using the MP7. I cannot promise that we will be able to recreate it 100%, but may be able to come close.

I uploaded a video which should be pretty self-explanatory -> YOUTUBE

Here's the MP7 SETUP I'm using: alexWAHCLAV.km6

Thanks in advance, Alex

My YouTube channel with free piano / music theory video tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/c/AlexanderNagel
My website: http://www.alex-nagel.de
My band: http://www.acouticavenue.de, http://www.mobile-gentlemen.de
M
M
Hello James,

thanks for the reply. You can download the file here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=03466338438590146313

greetings
Marcel den Riet

g-7, mdenriet, thank you for your posts, and for sharing your examples.

I raised this topic with one of the MP engineers and he has prepared a beta firmware version for testing.

I will send you both a PM with a link to download the file.

Kind regards,
James
x

A
A
g-7, mdenriet, thank you for your posts, and for sharing your examples.

I raised this topic with one of the MP engineers and he has prepared a beta firmware version for testing.

I will send you both a PM with a link to download the file.

Kind regards,
James
x

WOW! James, the beta firmware you sent me does exactly what I needed, it works great!

I did a quick recording onto the USB stick (what a great handy feature btw!): ExprPedalWahExample.mp3

Now finally the wah effect reacts without any noticable lag/latency to the changes made by the expression pedal - just how it's meant to be.

Thanks so much, this is the best customer support experience I've had by far, I really appreciate this!

Keep up the good work, James, and a big thank yoo to your KAWAI tech team!

Alex

My YouTube channel with free piano / music theory video tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/c/AlexanderNagel
My website: http://www.alex-nagel.de
My band: http://www.acouticavenue.de, http://www.mobile-gentlemen.de
Hello Alex,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm delighted to read that the pedal response changes in the beta firmware did the trick.

Thanks for posting the quick recording too - nice Jamiroquai vibe going on there. wink

Kind regards,
James
x

Marcel, did the beta firmware resolve the issue you were encountering?

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M
Hello James,

yes it works. That was lightning fast super duper service from you and Kawai.

Thanks m8

mdenriet, thank you for your reply.

Glad to hear that the beta firmware did the job!

Cheers,
James
x

Hello James,

yesterday, during my experience on MP7 to control a zone from external MIDI, I think I have found a bug

Each time when I changed a "System" parameter, MP7 lost the new setting after I pressed "Panic" without switching off and on using the power switch previously. I had to switch MP7 off and on again to permanently store "System" settings.

The mistake is even in the manual or in the firmware :-)

The manual describes that a system parameter will be stored when leaving "System" (sub)menu. This is not true. Only switching MP7 "Power Off" will finally store "System" settings.

As "Panic" is described same like doing "Power Off" and "Power On" and "System" stores settings when leaving "System" (sub)menu, it should do it permanently.

Edit: Firmware is V1.14

Best regards
Norbert

Last edited by Curzon; 03/07/17 10:40 AM.

Best regards,
Norbert
Hi all,

i use MP7 together with a vintage Yamaha synth CS6x and all I need on stage are the MP7 "Setup" - one setup change, all sounds and settings of both keyboards are as I need it - fantastic for a stage piano having awesome sounds too - excited (didn't had such a function with e.g. my previously M-Audio master keyboard :-().

During my experience on MP7 to control a zone from external MIDI, I got some questions.

My intention was to use the MP7 like an expander so I want to control notes (playing) one zone sound from an external MIDI device and this is not as simple as I thought :-).

In normal circumstance I use the MP7 and CS6x separately - each keyboard plays their internal sound only. To achive this I setup the CS6x transmitt MIDI channel (ch=2) other than the MP7 system channel (ch=1) and the MP7 "MIDI Receive Mode" was set to default "Panel". So far, so good.

I tried to get the following setting

1) play a MP7 layered sound (using two zones e.g. "Main" & "Sub1") with the MP7 keyboard (2 zones are set to INT) without keyboard split.
2) a third MP7 zone sound ("Sub2") should be played by the CS6x MIDI keyboard.
3) this setup should be available by a single MP7 "Setup" choice.

For that I first created a voiceless sound program on CS6x, so nothing will be heard from CS6x internal sound generator the I'm playing on CS6x. The MP7 related "Setup" selects the two needed layered sounds on MP7 and the voiceless sound program number on CS6x.
Now I'm stuck on playing the selected sound on zone "Sub2" using my CS6x.

As far as I understood:

a) the zone setting EXT was created that this zone will control another external MIDI device, not vice versa, because when a zone was setup as EXT it can not be note controlled via MIDI. So setting a zone ("Sub2") to EXT is the wrong way, correct?

b) System setting "MIDI Receive Mode"
I did not really understood this setting, because the description within the manual is a little uniformative :-)

- what is the real difference between "Panel" and "Omni On"?
Manual describes that with "Panel" mode zones MAIN, SUB1...3 are controlled via System channell. Does it mean the channel set under "System/MIDI/Ch"?
"Onmi On" means all MIDI channel can control the device. What does this mean?

I also tried the "MIDI Receive Mode" "Multi" where I can setup for each MIDI channel what should this channel control. In that mode I can play notes on the MP7 controlled by CS6x keyboard (when I setup e.g. MIDI channel 2 - this is the CS6x transmitt channel - control MP7 zone "Sub2") but this is useless for me due to 2 points:
a) CS6x now plays the sound number setup by CS6x, not the sound setup by MP7 for this zone "Sub2" :-].
b) "MIDI Receive Mode" is a global parameter and not MP7 "Setup" related, so for this case I need to switch MP7 "MIDI Receive Mode" from default "Panel" to "Multi" - otherwise when I always use "Multi", the CS6x always triggers a MP7 sound.

Finally, I really do not understand the different "MIDI Receive Mode" and how I can simply setup my needs as described above (*) - confused.

@Kawai James: More details on "MIDI Receive Mode" will be helpful, thanks.

Best regards
Norbert

Best regards,
Norbert
Hello Norbert,

Thank you for your posts.

Regarding this point:

Originally Posted by Curzon
The manual describes that a system parameter will be stored when leaving "System" (sub)menu.

May I ask which page (and which version) of the owner's manual you are referencing, please?

Only switching MP7 "Power Off" will finally store "System" settings.

Yes, this point is stated in the "Overview of the SYSTEM Menu" introduction on page 104 of the owner's manual:

SYSTEM parameters will be memorised automatically when the instrument is turned OFF.

As "Panic" is described same like doing "Power Off" and "Power On"

According to page 114 of the owner's manual:

The PANIC button restores all internal sounds to their default PowerOn setting, and also sends the AllNoteOff and ResetAll Controller MIDI messages to any connected devices (01ch ~ 16ch).

This is a useful function to be used in emergency situations, or to immediately restore the MP7 to a preferred configuration without turning the power OFF and ON.

I don't believe this text explicitly states that pressing the PANIC button is the same as powering the instrument off/on - it's implying that the Panic button restores the instrument to its power-on state. However, I will look into revising this explanation to prevent any potential confusion.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hello again Norbert,

With regards to your MIDI query, I raised this topic with one of the MP engineers, and believe it should be possible to achieve your desired configuration.

a) the zone setting EXT was created that this zone will control another external MIDI device, not vice versa, because when a zone was setup as EXT it >can not be note controlled via MIDI. So setting a zone ("Sub2") to EXT is the wrong way, correct?

Yes, this is correct.

The Zone Mode (INT/EXT/BOTH) setting only relates to transmitting, it does not affect how a Zone receives MIDI.

In order to achieve your desired configuration, please try the following:

[SYSTEM]
Rcv.Mode=Multi
Rcv.Ch1=Sub2
==> MIDI Ch1 can now control "the internal section" of Sub2 zone.

Also, because many internal section parameters are hidden when a Zone is set to EXT, it's recommended that SUB2 (in your case) use either INT or BOTH modes. The Zone On/Off button is used to cut the connection from the MP7's keyboard to the tone generator, however the zone can still produce a sound when set to OFF if it's triggered by an external MIDI source (e.g. your CS6x).

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hello James,

thank you for your quick reply.

May I ask which page (and which version) of the owner's manual you are referencing, please?

I'm currently reading V1.02 in German and comparing with the english manual I found the mistake; page 104 in german manual describes

"SYSTEM Parameter werden automatisch beim Verlassen der einzelnen Menüs gespeichert"

this means in english

"SYSTEM parameters are automatically stored when exit one of the menu"

and this totally different. I compared it with the english manual and this desribes a very different behaviour:

Only switching MP7 "Power Off" will finally store "System" settings.

I don't believe this text explicitly states that pressing the PANIC button is the same as powering the instrument off/on

Yes, true. The misunderstanding comes really from the wrong translation, now it's clear.

Thanks again, Norbert

Best regards,
Norbert
Thank you Norbert.

I will raise this inconsistency with our German translation team.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hello James,

thanks for your quick reply.

Regards my MIDI query:

In order to achieve your desired configuration, please try the following:

[SYSTEM]
Rcv.Mode=Multi
Rcv.Ch1=Sub2
==> MIDI Ch1 can now control "the internal section" of Sub2 zone.

Yes, this is what I already tried and it does not cover my needs due to

however the zone can still produce a sound when set to OFF if it's triggered by an external MIDI source (e.g. your CS6x).

"Rcv.Mode=Multi" is a global paramater and not differently stored within a MP7 "Setup" so with this setting my CS6x is always playing sound from Sub2 regardless which MP7 "Setup"/"Sound" I'm using and regardless I switch zone Sub2 to OFF.

To solve this I have to also change the CS6x transmitt channel beside selecting the MP7 "Setup" for a single song - to many steps for me on stage in a live situation.

What I expected was, that if I use "Rcv.Mode=Multi" and switching the related zone to off, that this zone should be mute - unfortunately it do not - as designed? - but than what is the reason not muting a zone also played via MIDI notes when I switch off a zone?

Best regards,
Norbert

Best regards,
Norbert
Hello Norbert,

Thank you for your reply.

...it does not cover my needs due to

"Rcv.Mode=Multi" is a global paramater and not differently stored within a MP7 "Setup" so with this setting my CS6x is always playing sound from Sub2 regardless which MP7 "Setup"/"Sound" I'm using and regardless I switch zone Sub2 to OFF.

To solve this I have to also change the CS6x transmitt channel beside selecting the MP7 "Setup" for a single song - to many steps for me on stage in a live situation.

Ah, I see.

Perhaps one workaround would be to set the SUB2 zone volume to 0 for SETUPs that you do not wish to trigger from the CS6x. This unfortunately means that one zone becomes redundant for those SEUPs, but it would facilitate single button SETUP changes without needing to change the Yamaha's transmit channel.

Kind regards,
James
x

To answer your previous questions:

Manual describes that with "Panel" mode zones MAIN, SUB1...3 are controlled via System channell. Does it mean the channel set under "System/MIDI/Ch"?

Yes.

what is the real difference between "Panel" and "Omni On"?

In 'Panel' mode, only the designated System Channel (above) will control all four of the MP7's zones simultaneously.

In 'Omni On' mode, any channel can be used to control all four zones simultaneously.

In 'Multi' mode, an additional 'Receive Channel' setting becomes available, allowing channels to be assigned to specific zones.

What I expected was, that if I use "Rcv.Mode=Multi" and switching the related zone to off, that this zone should be mute - unfortunately it do not - as designed? - but than what is the reason not muting a zone also played via MIDI notes when I switch off a zone?

Yes, this is the intended behaviour. As mentioned previously, the Zone ON/OFF button is really intended for connecting/disconnecting the MP7's keyboard from that zone, and does not affect the zone's ability to produce a sound when triggered from an external source.

I hope this help to clarify things.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hello James,

Perhaps one workaround would be to set the SUB2 zone volume to 0 for SETUPs that you do not wish to trigger from the CS6x.

Unfortunately not possible - beside the fact in that case I have to reprogram all 255 other setups/sounds where I do not want to hear sound from MP7 when playing my CS6x - I will do that, no problem - but the advised parameter (zone volume) was replaced in V1.10 (master volume functionality): crazy

mp7_v114_en.pdf:
"V1.10 (January 2015)
- Changed: ‘Volume’ parameter in 3.Sound menu replaced with ‘[C]MasterVol.’, allowing total SETUP volume to be adjusted.
"

Best regards,
Norbert
Page 74 of 80 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 79 80

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission