2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
M Spin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I know there are other options out there but I've ended up narrowing down my choices to these 2 stage pianos.

My background, as a kid I took piano lessons for 10 years and was a decent player, at age 16 I picked up a guitar and never played piano again. Now over 20 years later in a sense I'm a beginner again, but hope I can pick it up again easily.

I am mainly going to use this piano at home but I do fill in with musicians on guitar/bass/Mandolin/cello at times and who knows I may end up playing live with this some day.

I don't need a piano with speakers as I was planning on running this through my board in my office into a pair of Genelec 8050 monitors for sound, or use my in ear monitors when I want to keep it quiet in the house.

I know the best thing would be to try both keyboards out and see which I like better but I have called all places in a 3 hour drive and haven't found a Nord piano 3 on display anywhere, and the Roland isn't out yet (and no FP-90 as a comparison in feel in a 3 hour drive). The only thing I found was the RD-800 which I like the action, not a fan of the key feel as it has this dry/dirty feeling on my fingers which isn't a reason to say no I could get used to that.

I really just want to get a good realistic piano sound, with a nice action. Also want to know which piano that might work the best with some software based pianos/synths well on my computer.

I know this is just a personal opinion but who has a more realistic sounding piano Roland or Nord? From what I have read here and other places the Roland has a better keybed but all comparisons I can find are with the Nord piano 2 which isn't the same as the piano 3.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated on these 2 options, the $500 difference doesn't matter to me.

Thanks!

S
S
Depends on what features you value. Nord has a great downloadable sound/sample library and its sample synth functions allow you to control parameters in a way the RD-2000 cannot. The RD-2000 has a huge 1100 plus tones built-in with the best of the best from Roland's prolific history. Roland supports more layers of sound simultaneously with greater polyphony which can allow for a lot of real time sound flexibility and there is greater control of effects. Whether you love or hate the Roland piano sound, the modeling technology does allow for greater expression than can ever be achieved with sampled sounds and I'd be surprised if there is a sampled sound out there that can match the quality and realism of the sustain. As a stage piano, the RD-2000 has a lot more control functions than the Nord. The Nord Stage instruments would be a closer comparison in that regard.

Last edited by SirJohn; 02/18/17 11:05 PM.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I think sound-wise, Nord may win, but action-wise, Roland may win. But as for the best action, look at Kawai. The MP11 is awesome, and a great MIDI controller, too, so you can use with any software you like to get the sound you want.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sorry, big Nord fan here. Just sayin'

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yam N3
Live: Nord Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact
Amps: QSC K.2s, RCF TT08-s, FA 12-ac, CPS SSv3
Support: STAY stands, X-Air mixers, Vent II, etc
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Another consideration which may or may not be important to you: The Roland is bigger and heavier than the Nord.

Nord 3 weight = 40.3 pounds

Roland Rd2000 weight = 47.1 pounds

Nord 3 length = 55.6 inches

Roland Rd2000 length = 50.7 inches

I have gigged extensively with Roland RD700's, which are heaver than the RD2000, but about as long.

Both the weight and the length (on tiny stages) have been a pain and a problem many times over. So much so that although I am used to the Roland interface, when I replace my current RD700gx it will be with something lighter, (and most are shorter).

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
Look, I've been playing the Nord Piano 2 for several years. Love it.

Here's why.

1) Reasonable piano action. Yeah, everyone is different, but I was able to easily translate my real acoustic piano game to the NP2. Yes, I was also able to do that with the Yamaha and Kawai.

2) Killer sounds. With the NP2, you can download just about anything you'd like in the AP and DP world. Go ahead, be picky, but having 10 different APs and DP to choose from for a live gig doesn't suck.

3) Packaging. It's light, and it's sturdy. Looks cool on stage as well. I schlep my own gear, and the 40 pound weight works for me. A while back, one of my keyboards fell off and broke five keys. Had it fixed for short money. I'm a fan as a result.

I've played the NP3 a few times. The upgrade price isn't worth it to me, for what I do.

My deal? I show up with my Nords, and I bring serious game. No doubts, no compromise.

That's all that matters to me.

M
M Spin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I looked at the MP11 but the 71.5 lb weight turned me off, I don't mind a 10lb difference but I don't tour with roadies lifting my gear anymore. I 100% agree the action is amazing. But does it offer more as a midi controller than the Roland and Nord?

M
M Spin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by SirJohn
Whether you love or hate the Roland piano sound, the modeling technology does allow for greater expression than can ever be achieved with sampled sounds and I'd be surprised if there is a sampled sound out there that can match the quality and realism of the sustain.

I would agree that the Nord Stage would be a closer comparison on control features but the main use for this board will be piano, If I do want to get synth or other sounds drive it from a laptop using it as a midi controller for those cases.

You mentioned the Roland uses modeling but am I thinking correctly that using it with a computer I could have sampled based pianos when wanted with the right software.

This is all new I've only ever played on acoustic pianos.

M
M Spin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by cphollis

A while back, one of my keyboards fell off and broke five keys. Had it fixed for short money. I'm a fan as a result.

I'm glad to hear from someone who loves their Nord and has had to deal with servicing it as I had no one provide me that information. All I've heard about it how easy it is to get the Roland's serviced.

I actually have ordered a Nord Piano 3 back on Thursday, I asked my sales associate the same question and he was highly suggesting that the RD-2000 is a better piano. I went ahead and ordered the Nord just because it was more expensive and they are offering 3 years no interest so I figured why not earn some interest on my piano money instead of paying in full. If I ordered the RD-2000 and switched to Nord the $500 wouldn't be under that plan.

The Nord will be back in stock in a few weeks, the RD-2000 hopefully in April so I had some time to make my final decision. I went to the only dealer in my area that sells Roland and Nord and they of course didn't have any in stock or on the floor for demos. The guy there was 100% Roland over the Nord as well.

So that started pushing me towards changing my order but I'm searching for opinions from both Nord and Roland users and what they love about their boards. I do love the Nord piano samples, as I listen to them I think they sound better than the Roland; but like my other posted reply do I get the best of both worlds with the Roland and a computer?

Right now I'm 61% Nord 39% Roland (10% of that going to Nord due to getting is sooner)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by M Spin

This is all new I've only ever played on acoustic pianos.

I would be very good if you were able to test drive these (and other) digitals before buying one.

Words and specs are helpful, but actually playing them is where the rubber hits the road. The touch (feel) of a keyboard is very subjective, and you may love what another person does not even like.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
M
M Spin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by rocket88

I would be very good if you were able to test drive these (and other) digitals before buying one.

Words and specs are helpful, but actually playing them is where the rubber hits the road. The touch (feel) of a keyboard is very subjective, and you may love what another person does not even like.

I agree with you 100% but unfortunately the only way that is going to happen is to buy one and take advantage of the 30 day return policy. But it's not like I have access to them side by side which would be helpful. (Unless I bought both and returned one)

Last edited by M Spin; 02/19/17 01:03 AM.
So much of what matters in a gigging situation is amplification, and I believe we don't talk enough about that. Even a mediocre DP will sound amazing with the right amplification. I know, I've done that gig smile

Look, the Nords don't suck. If you can get that finger-ear connection (like I have done), all is good. I got that with acoustic pianos, but I also got that with the Yamaha (CP4), the Rolands, Kawais and Korgs. Also the better Casios, just sayin' I can rock whatever board you put in front of me. Lucky that way.

But the Nord boards are special with me. Magical instruments with no equal.

H
H
I'm currently thinking about the exact same thing, and the factors I've come across are:

http://www.norduserforum.com/nord-p...tml?sid=0a122cd4930a71b31917e9d5ec804a59

Also, if it matters, the RD-2000 has pitch bend / modulation, if you are looking to do synthy stuff whereas the Nord Piano 3 doesn't.

Instruments: Roland RD-2000 + Roland A-49
Software: REAPER and MuseScore
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rolands' modelled piano sound while not sounding like a particular brand of grand or upright there is less of that uncanny valley factor.
I hear people who swear by sampling say they think it sounds synthetic, it is the very opposite to me.

One very nice Nord feature is the lifetime free updated sample library - can't beat that value for money. Roland will expand the RD2000's sample part of its library ( for a fee yet unknown through Roland Cloud service )

Rainlink is another RD feature which may prove valuable to you in the future.

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Previous Nord Piano owner here. And Roland RD700-GX(SN).

I played Nord Piano 3 a couple of weeks ago together with Roland FP-90 and RD-800.

It's a tough call.

Firstly I'll say it as clearly as I can - the Nord's piano sounds are just better to my ears. Not in a technical sense but they have character. Roland have designed in a kind of generic, homogenised, inoffensive polish to their acoustic piano sounds. Lots to like but nothing to love. No blood and guts at all. Nord gives a whole world of different, yes, genuinely different, pianos. And they all have their own character. Maybe it's psycho-acoustic in my head but I still can't get away from the fact that in the Roland you are not actually hearing a real piano. The sonic detail of a real piano just isn't quite there somehow for me. That said, I certainly did find the Roland responsive with a smoother, more realistic timbral change according to playing velocity than the Nord. The unlooped decays in the Roland are fabulous.

The FP-90 has the newer all modelled sounds and the brand new PHA-50 action. Others have commented from NAMM that the RD-2000 is better. I can believe it but also that the difference would be a very small increment based on perhaps superior internal componentry (maybe better DACs or whatever).

The Nord Piano 3 supposedly has some improvement to the action. Nord keeps talking about 'virtual hammer action technology' whatever that's supposed to mean. They never explain what they have done to this action. It has a real hammer action in it anyway, and always has. Fatar TP40. Frankly I couldn't feel any difference between the newer NP3 and previous models, or other TP40-equipped pianos I've played very recently such as the Dexibell. However whilst the feel was the same for me I do think they've quietened it down quite considerably.

I also found the Nord to have a slightly exaggerated sense of dynamic range. A real smack on the keys gave me almost too much response. I didn't remember that from my Nord Piano. The Nord I played was brand new out of the box so no one had been messing with it. I found the Nord's touch curves slightly frustrating inasmuch as there's only one useable one for me (the heaviest). This was an early criticism of the Nord Piano that it was set too light. They introduced a heavier setting, which is fine. But like I say, just one curve and no facility to build your own curve.

The Roland's action was not to my taste at all. Too cushioned and bouncy. I like a more percussive feel with a more positive stop at the bottom of the keystroke. The RD-800 nearby had an action vastly preferable to me. Far snappier and more positive feeling. Just for me the new Roland action is a big backward step.

The Roland's form-factor (RD-2000) is just a pain. The siting of the joystick thing is awful. The whole package is too long and because the keyboard is offset due to the huge left cheek block there isn't any aesthetic balance to the thing. It's been a curse of RDs for a long time now.

I went to the shop wanting to feel instantly like I had 'come home' when playing the NP3. I still loved the sounds but for reasons I can't quite put my finger on I was a tad disappointed. Only a tad but enough to stop me buying it there and then.

The FP-90 is perfect for someone who likes the action and doesn't want to get in to an almost forensic examination of the piano sounds. I've had to come to the conclusion over the years that many people don't hear pianos quite like I do. The Roland (FP or RD-2000) wouldn't be for me but it is extremely playable.

If it were my choice I'd go Nord but it's a very close call. I can easily see how the new RD would be ticking lots of boxes for pro and semi-pro players. As a package, depending on your needs, I wouldn't rule out the FP-90 either. Its form factor is far nicer than the RD and the speakers are useable. For that matter the plain jane little Yamaha CP4 should be on anyone's audition list. A dowdy little box she may be but it has that innate Yamaha musicality and 'balls'. Kawai MP7 - the best looking stage piano - and a good deal cheaper too (than Nord or RD) with a truly fantastic action. There's more to this contest than Nord or Roland...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice write up EssBrace!

I wonder if that percussive stop you want could be achieved by replacing the foam strip on the PHA-50's front rails.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Goss; 02/19/17 06:35 AM.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks. Yes, possibly. And it would compress over time I guess anyway. I could really tell that they have put a lot into the development of that action. The feel is really quite different. It just wasn't for me, which was a disappointment. If I'm honest, due to the technical advances Roland has made with modelling etc, I would say to anyone that if they like the Roland sound and action then they're good to go.

Oh yes, nice spot with the foam. Yes, cut the thickness of that by 50% and I'd be all over it. In other respects the feel is excellent.

Last edited by EssBrace; 02/19/17 06:37 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think one would need to measure the current foams' compression under loads and go for something more dense - not compressing to more -or less- than what it does now under load or else possibly the sensors won't like it

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sound wise, how did the LX17 stack up to that CS11 you tried EssBrace?

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I haven't played LX-17. I was prepared to travel to Cambridge to try one but ruled it out based on my feelings about the PHA-50 action.

I'm changing direction somewhat and may decide to return to a furniture type piano. At the moment it's CS11 (or possibly CA97) vs CLP585.

I know I really should try the Roland first. And if I wanted to really exhaust the options there's the Bluthner e-klavier3 and Physis V100. And Yamaha NU1 - or possibly N1. Too much choice. And I'll find fault with every single one of them!

CS11 is front runner. I can't stop thinking about it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission