2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
HankDrake and LaReginadellaNotte, I DO have my book on me and Horowitz said this about Cliburn:

(To Franz Mohr): "I hear you are going to Dallas to tune for Van Cliburn. I tell you what, Franz: This young man* has double the sound that anyone else has."

*Horowitz said this in 1989, when Van Cliburn was over 50.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jdhampton924
I went and looked it up, was this the link you were talking about?

http://books.google.com/books?id=NG...=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

yep that's it... again I say eeeewwww...

L
L
Thank you for providing the quote, OSK. I'm guessing that Horowitz meant that Van Cliburn could play twice as beautifully as anyone else.

As to Horowitz' extramarital affairs, is that something that is documented in his biographies? I remember hearing that he sometimes fought with Wanda over his close friendships with men, but I didn't know if anything sexual ever occurred.

Recent Repertoire:
Liszt: Concerto #1 in Eb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dY9Qw8Z7ao
Bach: Partita #2 in c minor
Beethoven: Sonata #23 in f minor, Opus 57 ("Appassionata")
Chopin: Etudes Opus 25 #6,9,10,11,12
Prokofiev: Sonata #3 in a minor
Suggestion diabolique
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by LaReginadellaNotte

As to Horowitz' extramarital affairs, is that something that is documented in his biographies? I remember hearing that he sometimes fought with Wanda over his close friendships with men, but I didn't know if anything sexual ever occurred.

Well I had read that Horowitz in his later years used to go to a gay club in NYC in the company with young men. He would promise to smoke only one cigarette and drink moderately. Wanda never joined him, though she obviously knew what he was up to. But it seems doubtful that Horowitz ever took things any further, as was the case with my last piano teacher and his London clubs.

All before my time, of course, but the thought of meeting and socializing with a man who knew Rachmaninov would be a bit of an overload for me. (I would require more than one drink.) Sort of like feeding and petting Edward Elgar's dogs and then asking the great man: what's the 'Enigma'?

The excerpts from the Byron Janis book were very interesting. Thanks JD for the link!

Jason
B
B
I have to agree with the "Ew"!!! A 20 year old with Wanda Toscanini! I always hated the camera time they gave her. She was always so rude to Horowitz. It was as though she went out of her way to be cruel to him. Horowitz just let it roll off as though she did this to him constantly. I am sure Wanda messed with his mind. Horowitz seemed to have a terrible personal life. With being married to Wanda and loosing his only child.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Hank Drake
I had never heard of anyone having an affair with Wanda until Janis' book came out. I was quite shocked, since Wanda was usually portrayed as the long suffering wife of a neurotic, sexually confused artist - and the daughter of a flagrant adulterer.

It's not surprising, with a father like that, she would naturally expect her husband to act the same, so eventually he fulfilled her expectations.

Poetry is rhythm
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This has over 10,000 views?

I don't think Rubinstein especially liked Wanda, for what it's worth.

Which begs the question--is biography, autobiography, and raconteurism really that useful to musicology? Grout (originally) emphasized style over most personal details, for example.

(But, juicy gossip is fun.)

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
This has over 10,000 views?....

Sure -- not unusual.
First of all...maybe you didn't realize, this is a very old thread.

This site is a common resource for people everywhere. It shows up readily on google searches about piano stuff, which is probably often how new members get here. I suspect it's usually how they get here.

We members mostly just see the data for current and recent threads, for which the numbers of views are relatively modest. But over the course of time, many if not most threads accumulate many more views. We just don't generally see those data, except when an old thread gets re-upped, like this one did. I think if you go back a few hundred pages on the listing of threads on Pianist Corner, most of the threads will show thousands of views.

Heck, lemme try it....
I went to page 500 on that listing, which takes us back to year 2010. Every thread except the three that had zero replies have over 1000 views, and even those have over 900. The other threads have anywhere from 1500 to 25,000 views.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission