2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thought I would start one of those owner's threads for people using the Supernatural Modelled Piano sound engine where we could share tips, questions, issues, bugs, soundcloud publications made with our pianos, questions for prospective owners of one of these pianos, exchange MIDI files, ideas for modifications and methods for repairs, Piano Designer settings and whatnot! all in one place..

(Still unclear wether or not the RD-2000 belongs in there as Roland has not been very forthcoming wether or not the engine used in it is the same version of the Supernatural Modelling engine, or a further iteration thereof. Plus if it did, it would not fit in the description XD..)

Just give a hello if you got one =) and get this thing going

Last edited by Goss; 02/22/17 07:30 AM.

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Falsch - I tried loading different Piano Designer profiles into slots óther than 1. Concert Piano and failed.. I seem to remember you doing this and succeeding? Here no matter what I do, it is just 1.Concert Piano that is pliant to any given profile sent over BT from the app..

P
P
My new GP-607 is due to arrive on Friday, so will bookmark this thread. Will certainly be interested to share Piano Designer settings etc.

Roland GP-607
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Oh nice to hear Peakski So you took the plunge huh ^^
Just out of curiosity, how did the comparison between the LX17 and the GP-607 fare or did you not have the opportunity to do so?

R
R
Originally Posted by Goss
Falsch - I tried loading different Piano Designer profiles into slots óther than 1. Concert Piano and failed.. I seem to remember you doing this and succeeding? Here no matter what I do, it is just 1.Concert Piano that is pliant to any given profile sent over BT from the app..

I was having that same problem when using my FP90 and the Piano Designer app. It seems that you have to save the profile to a different piano such as; Ballad, Mellow or Bright. Then you rename it in your various registrations. For example I created a piano in the designer app and I called it "Studio Grand". Then I saved it as the default "Concert Grand" on my FP90 and then saved that as a registration and named it "Studio Grand". I then created a piano in the app called "Stage Grand" and saved that as the default "Ballad Grand" patch on the piano itself. Then I created a new registration and renamed it "Stage Grand" on the piano. Not the most intuitive l, but it works.

Btw with the 5 soundboard types and individual note voicing I'm finding there are a lot of possible different piano types you can create on these new Roland modeling digital pianos. The possibilities are near endless.

Last edited by Rhodie73; 02/22/17 11:47 AM.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
P
P
Oh nice to hear Peakski So you took the plunge huh ^^
Just out of curiosity, how did the comparison between the LX17 and the GP-607 fare or did you not have the opportunity to do so?

Thanks Goss. I'm afraid I didn't get chance to compare them. My wife preferred the look of the GP-607 so much more that it would have been pointless! So I just took the plunge and bought the 607 and we got a pretty good deal on a showroom display model. I'm pretty confident it will live up to my expectations even if the LX17 does happen to sound better. I guess we'll never know now either way. I'm really looking forward to Friday now!

Roland GP-607
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Its best not to look back then ^^ Oh I am sure it wont sound any less than what its worth.. I've read some comments on other digital grands that people preferred the better endowed upright models over the smaller grands because the sound of the smaller grands while better for the audience proved less engaging to the player and that's about it..
The GP607 does not suffer all of this problem because it still has those speakers aimed at the player behind the keybed and front panel, not just the larger drivers below the lid.

Enjoy the wait and the arrival ^^

Last edited by Goss; 02/22/17 12:33 PM.

P
P
I'm putting my trust in Roland and what various dealers have told me about the 607 i.e. That it sounds great! Some seem to prefer it over the LX17, others not. But perhaps more importantly both models seem well received in their own right. My expectations are quite high, but I don't have anything to benchmark it against except for high end hi-fi gear. I'm sure it will fill our lounge with a pleasing full range piano sound and the main limitation by a long shot will be my playing!

Roland GP-607
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
MIDI playback issue Roland HP605

We sometimes enjoy playing back some good piano performances using midi files from some sources and found an oddity ;

Playing from the HP605's 'Listening' selection, one can switch between the various Piano tunings ( 1. Concert 2. Ballad 3. Mellow 4. Bright ) by having the performance play then hitting the 'Piano' button and then tapping + and - and this results in the sound clearly changing to one of those tunings. Also one's own recordings to SMF are similarly affected.

When playing from USB stick or internal memory it appears switching models has no effect. Also the quality of the piano voice is very different..

Perhaps JayGVan knows some ins n outs in this respect ^^

Last edited by Goss; 02/25/17 03:23 AM.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Maybe internal or USB recordings are not midi but WAV or similar audio format?

Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi SpanishBuddha - no, they are SMF - when I play something and record as SMF I can similarly effect the playback by being able to select one of the four (modelled) piano tunings, but downloaded midi files no. The only difference I can see in for example MidiEditor is that the channel on which own recorded plays is transcribed is channel 3, while most downloaded ones are channel 0; the instrument ident is the same ( Acoustic Grand Piano )
Sadly when copying, then pasting into another channel MidiEditor has a runtime error and goes bzzzt...

Last edited by Goss; 02/25/17 05:55 AM.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Could the problem be that often MIDI files specify the instrument to play with and the Roland then uses a piano sound from the General Midi 2 sound set which is/may be inferior to the main piano sounds? Have you tried with a MIDI file that doesn't specify the instrument, like the Chopin Prelude here:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2600982/1.html

Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
As far as I can tell the only midi voice specifications given by internal recordings is Acoustic Grand Piano and Bright Acoustic Grand Piano.

Furthermore, while the recorded SMF files are in internal memory, one can change the piano tuning to any of the four presets ( concert, ballad, mellow, bright ) during playback, but when they are transferred to USB playback is limited to the tuning they were recorded in.

When viewed in MidiEditor, the only change apparent between the four tunings is when coming to the recording of 4. Bright Piano; it is shown as Bright Acoustic Grand Piano, while the other 3 tunings are identified as Acoustic Grand Piano. All recordings are shown as track 0 channel 3. System exclusive data is identical in all tunings' recordings.

O
O
Is what's being said here is that the days of using the internal workings of digital pianos as a sequencer (as limited as it is on these models) are over and it has become much easier to use tablet/pc/mac software for serious multi track midi recording?

Last edited by oldmarmo; 02/25/17 08:50 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The specific instrument selected may be encoded in the MIDI file in some of the data fields, in a vendor specific format (Kawai does this, and it's documented in the manual). MidiEditor likely doesn't understand these data fields and doesn't display them. You would need to inspect the file with a a hex editor to find out more details.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Nice - its been a while since I did that ^^ But am very keen to have a closer look what triggers the different behaviours.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by oldmarmo
Is what's being said here is that the days of using the internal workings of digital pianos as a sequencer (as limited as it is on these models) are over and it has become much easier to use tablet/pc/mac software for serious multi track midi recording?

I enquired this at my local shop, and he concurred with this. The DGX series is a bit unique in that onboard editing is so simple. Otherwise, it's workstations. Or a hulking great CVP.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Makes sense to me.. If only they would supply API's for móre access to their pianos! like the sound engines, not just make apps to augment/supplant on board functions..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
MIDI playback issue Roland HP605

We sometimes enjoy playing back some good piano performances using midi files from some sources and found an oddity ;

Playing from the HP605's 'Listening' selection, one can switch between the various Piano tunings ( 1. Concert 2. Ballad 3. Mellow 4. Bright ) by having the performance play then hitting the 'Piano' button and then tapping + and - and this results in the sound clearly changing to one of those tunings. Also one's own recordings to SMF are similarly affected.

When playing from USB stick or internal memory it appears switching models has no effect. Also the quality of the piano voice is very different..

Perhaps JayGVan knows some ins n outs in this respect ^^

I've run into this before in the past. You need to remove the GM or GS reset message at the beginning of the file. There's something in there that won't allow you to select one of the main four pianos voices. Some kind of MIDI editor should work.

Jay

Industry Consultant
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You should also search Program Change / Bank Selection events.

Anvil Studio is free and permits you to edit your file.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission