Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This Search is powered by Google
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
130 registered (AGPianist, 36251, alex59, agraffe, alwatson, 26 invisible), 2206 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2617153 - Today at 12:55 AM New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help.
David B Online   content

Just purchased the Ravenscroft 275 from Vilabs and I think it sounds very nice. I'm satisfied with the purchase so far.

However, I find the UVI workstation a little complicated. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to access the plugin version to use with my garageband. The standalone UVI works fine. I was able to load the 275 into it and seemingly have full access to all the samples. Yeah!

Unfortunately, when I load up garageband it recognizes the UVI program, but it does not record onto the track. I would assume I should be able to make changes to the instrument via the plugin, but instead its just gives me a featureless UVI window that doesn't allow me to record on the track. I can record the midi key stokes, but it's not picking up any other signal. Here is a screen shot of what I see in garageband when I click on what I thought was the UVI plugin.

As you can see it comes up, but it's not really linked to anything. There is no functionality. I'm assuming it's something real simple. Any help would be appreciated. I really want to hear what the 275 sounds like recorded. Thanks for the help.

God Bless,
David

Edited by David B (Today at 12:56 AM)

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2617202 - Today at 06:18 AM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]
Calmando Offline

You usually use the MIDI output from your piano as a source for playing/recording, and route it to the plug-in, which generates the sound.

I'm not very familiar with Garageband but I expect somewhere on the tracks you can select a MIDI source. If you can find that and select the notes from your piano, you should be able to play/record.

#2617290 - Today at 11:58 AM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]
terminaldegree Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
You had me there for a moment...I thought you bought an actual Ravenscroft 275!

#2617299 - Today at 12:23 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: Calmando]
David B Online   content

Originally Posted By Calmando
You usually use the MIDI output from your piano as a source for playing/recording, and route it to the plug-in, which generates the sound.

I'm not very familiar with Garageband but I expect somewhere on the tracks you can select a MIDI source. If you can find that and select the notes from your piano, you should be able to play/record.

I've got the local midi control on my ES8 turned off so that the onboard sounds don't layer with the software sounds.

My path is; ES8 - Focusrite - computer, and every other midi instrument in garageband works, and pianoteq loads and works fine in garageband, but when I load the UVI plugin it transmits no audible signal to the track. The keys in the UVI plugin move, and I can hear the sound through the Focusrite/monitors, and the track will record the midi key strokes, but no sound.

Shouldn't the plugin have features to control the sound? As you can see in the screenshot above, the UVI plugin that loads in garageband is featureless.

I've exhausted my ability to resolve this. I've spent too many hours trying to figure it out rather than playing the piano. I've checked the UVI manual, but I can't seem to find the answer.

Any help from anybody would be appreciated.

God Bless,
David

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2617309 - Today at 12:52 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]
minstrelman Online   content

Loc: buffalo
disclaimer: I am no expert.
first thing, I would want to invstigate: you need to open or load Ravenscroft into UVI.

#2617312 - Today at 01:01 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: minstrelman]
David B Online   content

Originally Posted By minstrelman
disclaimer: I am no expert.
first thing, I would want to invstigate: you need to open or load Ravenscroft into UVI.

I've done that. Otherwise I would hear no sound at all.

God Bless,
David

#2617323 - Today at 01:30 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]

but I don't see Ravenscroft in your screenshot

#2617332 - Today at 01:57 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: minstrelman]
David B Online   content

but I don't see Ravenscroft in your screenshot

It's underneath my web browser.

God Bless,
David

#2617351 - Today at 02:40 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]

I use Reaper.
I add UVI to FX.
then I load Ravenscroft into UVI.
there are settings on the Reaper track: record Audio output, assign MIDI control, and monitor output (I have to double check all).

#2617353 - Today at 02:47 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]
Alexander Borro Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I think Minstrelman is on the right track. I am confused when you say it is underneath your web browser, as a separate app ?

Ultimately, It (ravens) should be loaded in via the UVI plugin inside garageband.

When I load ravensroft inside my Daw (cubase in my setup),

1) I create a track,
2) load UVI as a (VST) plugin using that track
3) Inside UVI I load the ravenscroft soundbank

I am also a little confused by your screenshot because there should be some icons, buttons at the top of UVI that allow you to do that, that are not showing in yours at all. Your UVI layout inside garageband doesn't look right with some features missing.

To load a soundbank there should be a little icon in the shape of an eye you can click on, that will lead you to a new window which lists all the sound banks, where you load one of the mic perspectives or all the perspectives if you want.

You are not going to get any sounds until the soundbank is loaded inside UVI, that is where the issue lies ... or so it seems to me.

Edited by Alexander Borro (Today at 02:47 PM)

My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro

#2617354 - Today at 02:50 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]

and I agree totally with Alexander.

#2617355 - Today at 02:56 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: Alexander Borro]
David B Online   content

Originally Posted By Alexander Borro

When I load ravensroft inside my Daw (cubase in my setup),

1) I create a track,
2) load UVI as a (VST) plugin using that track
3) Inside UVI I load the ravenscroft soundbank

I am also a little confused by your screenshot because there should be some icons, buttons at the top of UVI that allow you to do that, that are not showing in yours at all. Your UVI layout inside garageband doesn't look right with some features missing.

To load a soundbank there should be a little icon in the shape of an eye you can click on, that will lead you to a new window which lists all the sound banks, where you load one of the mic perspectives or all the perspectives if you want.

You are not going to get any sounds until the soundbank is loaded inside UVI, that is where the issue lies ... or so it seems to me.

That's the problem I'm having. When I load UVI in garageband the plugin doesn’t give me any options to load the 275. What you see in the screen shot is all I have. There is no features in the UVI plugin.

What’s under my browser is the UVI standalone version.

God Bless,
David

#2617357 - Today at 03:02 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]
David B Online   content

I was under the impression that the UVI download was only one download that covered both the standalone workstation and the plugin. Is the plugin a separate download?

Edited by David B (Today at 03:03 PM)

#2617358 - Today at 03:06 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]

close everything.
start over.
do not open UVI workstation.
now, open garageband.
NOW, do whatever is the normal routine to open UVI.
now, do you have the normal UVI window, that will give you the ability to load Ravenscroft?

#2617360 - Today at 03:13 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]
Frédéric L Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
A virtual instrument (UVI) in a web browser ? This sound me weird.

Perhaps you should quit this instance of UVI and start again.

But this sounds me like an UVI Workstation bug and I would open a ticket from the UVI support site declaring that the UVI Worskation user interface doesn't show the top buttons from GB and you can't load a library from it. Note UVI Workstation is tested on Garage Band 6.

#2617361 - Today at 03:16 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: minstrelman]
David B Online   content

close everything.
start over.
do not open UVI workstation.
now, open garageband.
NOW, do whatever is the normal routine to open UVI.
now, do you have the normal UVI window, that will give you the ability to load Ravenscroft?
It just brings up what you see in the screen shot. A non-functional plugin.

#2617365 - Today at 03:20 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: Frédéric L]
David B Online   content

Originally Posted By Frédéric L
A virtual instrument (UVI) in a web browser ? This sound me weird.

Perhaps you should quit this instance of UVI and start again.

But this sounds me like an UVI Workstation bug and I would open a ticket from the UVI support site declaring that the UVI Worskation user interface doesn't show the top buttons from GB and you can't load a library from it. Note UVI Workstation is tested on Garage Band 6.
The workstation wasn't in the web browser, I was just using the web browser to try and find a solution to the plugin problem when I took the screenshot. I've also already opened up a ticket with vilabs, but I was hoping I could find a quicker solution here.

God Bless,
David

#2617370 - Today at 03:28 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]

hmmm
ok, if UVI workstation and Ravenscroft work fine in standalone, but not in Garageband, the next thing I would do is:
well, I just have a hunch that you need to load or have Garageband look at something different from what you are currently have it set to do.
I am not sure what its called, or where to look. (and I might be wrong too. just brainstorming.)

#2617380 - Today at 03:56 PM Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]
Alexander Borro Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Following on from that. I assume you needed to tell garageband where to pick up the plugin from on your filesystem somewhere, or perhaps garageband does an auto search, but as said, not sure what else it would pick up that would lead to that strange result. I presume it is a fresh install of UVI, but since you are a different OS I can't help you there. It could be many things, like perhaps an older version of garageband that is not quite compatible, which may result in UVI not loading properly .. who knows.

If really desperate to record you could just download another DAW like reaper for free for now so you could be up and running and record that way in no time.

Edited by Alexander Borro (Today at 03:58 PM)

My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro

#2617444 - 18 minutes 19 seconds ago Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]
David B Online   content

The problem is solved. I updated garageband for $4.99. I had version 6 something and now I have version 10 something. The UVI didn’t work with the old version. I just recorded a little song and it worked fine. I think the 275 sounds very nice and will replace some of my ES8 native sounds for playing and recording. Thanks for all the help. I very much appreciate the responses.

God Bless,
David

#2617447 - 7 minutes 42 seconds ago Re: New Ravenscroft 275 purchase gone good, but need some help. [Re: David B]

smile

Moderator:  Piano World 
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Knabe upright or Hailun upright
by anninkc
02/23/17 06:54 PM
Greatest piano work by nationality
by pianoloverus
02/23/17 06:30 PM
RD-2000 or CP4?
by Macsaint777
02/23/17 05:41 PM
Is note guessing bad?
by Cutestpuppie
02/23/17 02:16 PM
Little slur-like symbols after noteheads
by fatar760
02/23/17 01:02 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
86,778 Registered Members
44 Forums
178,684 Topics
2,601,246 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission