Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This Search is powered by Google
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
91 registered (AGPianist, agraffe, AprilE, Almaviva, ando, 19 invisible), 1900 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2617414 - Yesterday at 05:41 PM RD-2000 or CP4?
Macsaint777 Online   content

Loc: NC
Hello everyone. I am currently in the process of trying to figure out which of these two instruments to purchase. I have a pre-order in with Sweetwater for an RD-2000, but having recently become aware of the CP4, I am wondering if it would be a better option for me.

I love the many controller features of the RD-2000, and having previously owned an RD-800, I like many of the sounds, including the Supernatural Piano. From what I can surmise from YouTube videos, the V-Piano sounds in the RD-2000 sound good, but there is a realism to the CP4 sound that modeled pianos don't seem to have. Now, I know many of you here have the CP4 and love it, so what are your thoughts? Especially helpful would be thoughts from those of you who have played the RD-2000 and who own the CP4.

Here are my needs. Excellent piano sounds that include dark and bright pianos. Some pads and strings, some electric pianos. A killer key action, as close to a real piano as possible. Some external controls, particularly mod wheel as this was lacking on my RD-800. I will use this as a MIDI controller with Logic Pro X running plugins such as Omnisphere and Keyscape as well.

Thank you so much!

Ben

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2617421 - Yesterday at 05:51 PM Re: RD-2000 or CP4? [Re: Macsaint777]
Gombessa Offline

Not a lot of people have had the chance to play the RD-2000 (was NAMM the only event it's been generally available)? But I think Dave Ferris on here has played it and offered his thoughts compared to his CP4. If he doesn't pop in here maybe reach out to him directly?

#2617470 - Yesterday at 08:37 PM Re: RD-2000 or CP4? [Re: Macsaint777]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I think if you liked your RD800, I'd be shocked if you didn't love the RD2000.

Yes, I guess I'm one of the few around here that played it at NAMM. Even under noisy conditions, just barely passable Roland phones and only around 20 minutes time with it, I felt the quality of the V-Piano piano sound and player/instrument connection were on par with my CP4.

Of course I'd have to have the two next to each for an extended time, as well as hearing how the Roland sounded through my gigging speakers and preamp/Di (RCF TT08As & JMK Audio JM-110) to make a solid preference. Even then, I'm not sure I could. I felt the Roland was that good.

I'm more of a pure Acoustic piano player that plays Jazz. So I don't use or need any controller or midi functions, computer based software, pitch bend stuff you posted about. Also I rarely use the "other sounds" in my CP4 with the exception of an occasional Rhodes and the default synth pad to layer the CFX grand with so as to create a somewhat Bruce Hornsby / Don Grolnick / Steps Ahead vibe in certain musical contexts.

I do play LH bass from time to time and the Ac. bass on the CP4 is hands down the best I've ever played. The RD2000's was good and would do the job but it wasn't as strong as the Yamaha.

Also the CP4 has the best mono piano patch on a keyboard I've ever owned- the CFX mono. This is very important when gigging and there's only room for one speaker, or you're forced to play through the chick singer's $400 entry level mono PA system. frown

How did you feel about the CP4 vs your RD800 ? If you highly liked the Yamaha over your former board, that could be a sign of where your preferences are leaning these days. The Yamaha is 10 lbs. lighter then the Roland. For that reason alone, that precludes me replacing the CP4 with the RD2000.

I'll just mention that a friend in St. Louis just bought the CP4 to replace his RD800. He mainly plays RnB, Funk and a little R&R. Along with highly enjoying the lighter weight, he much prefers the action and acoustic pianos while playing live to his RD800. He did say he liked the EPs better on the Roland though. He felt they were more realistic sounding and had a better "bark" to them live. I think he uses the QSC K10s fwiw.

If it's Sweetwater, you could always order both , tell them upfront one is coming back after you make a decision and then just pay shipping back on the one. Probably really the only way to be 100% certain.

Good luck with it. Either way I can't seeing you being disappointed. I feel those are the two best stage pianos available at this present time.

2005 NY Steinway D , Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2617474 - Yesterday at 09:02 PM Re: RD-2000 or CP4? [Re: Macsaint777]

Dave, I so appreciate your thoughts! Thank you very much!

Ben

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2617487 - Yesterday at 09:33 PM Re: RD-2000 or CP4? [Re: Macsaint777]
Kawai James Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I'm a big fan of the CP4, perhaps more so the EPs than the APs. I have yet to try the RD-2000, but wasn't bowled over by the RD-800's EPs.

The CP4 is an older model, but it's still a great board in my opinion. However, I doubt its MIDI controller features can match the RD-2000.

Cheers,
James
x

#2617497 - Yesterday at 10:04 PM Re: RD-2000 or CP4? [Re: Macsaint777]

Just a quick response earlier, but I wanted to take the time to properly respond to Dave Ferris since he gave such a detailed response to me.

The fact that you speak so highly of the RD-2000 based on your short time with headphones that are very bad (I've heard them, you are correct) is encouraging. The player to sound connection is very important and something I felt was never quite right on the RD-800. My classically trained friends always commented on the attack of the piano sounds on the RD-800, so that was interesting to hear you praise that particular aspect.

That is a serious set of outboard gear you have your keyboards running through! Those RCF TT08As & JMK Audio JM-110 you mentioned are certainly something to be proud of! I personally use two QSC K12s playing live or a Focusrite 8Pre with a Grace Design m920 and Focal CMV2 in my home setup. It is good to see you have given such attention to the signal path for your sound.

Thanks also for mentioning your friend that replaced their RD-800 with a CP4. That was helpful information to have, considering that I may do the same.

Most of the "other" sounds I would use on the RD-2000, RD-800, or CP4 are good enough on all three that this is not really a huge factor, especially since I have access to software and usually have the Mac running something in Logic under the piano anyway. Still, the upright bass is important for left hand work, and I appreciate you mentioning it.

Lastly, your comment about Sweetwater is spot on, but I have such a good relationship with them that I try to avoid simply trying things out. They have already agreed to knock $500.00 USD off of the RD-2000 for me, so I think I would be wise to simply be patient and continue with that original plan. The CP4 is a temptation for me mainly because it is in stock everywhere. You see, I sold my RD-800 and that left me with a Nord Electro 5D, which is fantastic for organ work, but quite bad for playing piano. I don't regret selling the RD-800 when I did, mainly because now Roland has dropped the price of the RD-800 from $2500, to $1999, and now to $1799.00. I sold mine for $1600.00, so just in time!

I welcome the thoughts of anyone else who wishes to contribute, and thank you again Dave for your detailed and thoughtful response.

Blessings!

Ben

Moderator:  Piano World 
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
If You Are Struggling to Learn Inversions-Read This
by guitarjunior19
02/23/17 11:40 PM
Sinfonia 13 - which fingering is best? (examples)
by hexentanz
02/23/17 08:42 PM
New Knabe upright or Hailun upright
by anninkc
02/23/17 06:54 PM
Greatest piano work by nationality
by pianoloverus
02/23/17 06:30 PM
RD-2000 or CP4?
by Macsaint777
02/23/17 05:41 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
86,778 Registered Members
44 Forums
178,686 Topics
2,601,326 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission