2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, 8 invisible), 1,255 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I dunno what kids do these days - probably nowt but Facebook & computer games, but what do I know? I've never played a computer game in my life (apart from playing chess against computer programs, and precisely one Space Invader game - anyone old enough to remember those? -, which bored me stiff), and I wouldn't touch Facebook with a barge pole grin

When I was a kid, luckily, there were no computers. You did sports (i.e. you're the 'sporty type') or you did academic stuff, or 'arty-farty' stuff (as they were colloquially known - is that term banned in PW?). I soon discovered that I was no good at anything sporty. All the girls beat me in the 100m sprint. But I loved music (which I learnt from my teachers) and chess (which I self-taught from books like Bobby Fischer's My 60 Memorable Games). No talent, but I did get through all my ABRSM exams, could sight-sing, and even became county junior chess champion (winning with a perfect 8/8 score in the Swiss-system tournament grin).

Kids multitasked in those days - but only in activities they enjoyed and wanted to participate in........

If music be the food of love, play on!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would have loved to have been put in soccer lessons as a kid! I think they are valuable. You learn to work on a team, you learn to work hard and coordinate with others, you learn to win and to lose, you learn to exercise even when you don't feel like it, you breathe in outdoor air and sunshine, you become skilled at a sport, which could translate over to other sports, you learn to strategize, you learn to be healthy and take care of your body, you learn how to avoid injury and how to not trip over your own feet (i'm a clutz, so ya). You could also say there's an academic component, if you wanted to learn the history of soccer too. There's a world in everything, if you want there to be. Even something not so great like waiting for a bus. My parents left me at school for at least 45 minutes before they picked me up, because of their work schedule. I chatted with my friends, I learned to wait. Patiently. I learned to entertain myself. I think everyone has personal reasons for doing things. It all depends on your personal philosophy.

~piano teacher in training~
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum est. You can't argue about tastes and colors. The Romans knew it 2.5 millennia ago, and yet, here we are.

In case it wasn't obvious: I learned Latin in school. For six years, no less. Today, all I remember of it can be distilled into a few catch phrases (like the one above). Can't say I ever spoke the language: we were taught to translate from Latin to my native Dutch, but never the other way around. Today, I have no use for it. I learned Latin because 'all the smart kids did'. It was sold to me (and to my parents) as a great way to instill study habits, and to prepare for the study of modern foreign languages. In my case, it did neither.

I speak and write three languages fluently (Dutch, French and English), and have forgotten most of what I ever knew of two others that I almost never use (German, Spanish). My knowledge (or lack thereof) of Latin has little to do with any of that. I would say I built fluency in English mostly thanks to the text-based online role playing games and subtitled American movies I was exposed to as a teenager. Whatever knowledge I picked up in my youth remains in development, because I use it (and it is of use to me) every single day. I can't say the same for Latin. And yet, learning Latin (along with math), is seen by many in my country as a 'conditio sine qua non' for smart kids who want to go places. Personally, I think it's mostly a historical artifact, left over from a time before public school. Access to (written) knowledge was then mostly provided and safeguarded by clerics, who wrote and communicated in Latin so that the unwashed masses could be kept out of the conversation. Admittedly, it was at one time also an answer to the multitude of language barriers that divide Europe. Either way, if you wanted to have access to academic knowledge in the Middle Ages, you had to learn Latin. That's no longer true today, yet it retains some of its value as a status indicator: he whose kids are learning Latin, must have smart kids and therefore be a smart man.

My point is this: the thing that most adults considered, in my youth, to be the pinnacle of academic achievement, isn't of much use to me today. Some of the things I did that were frowned upon (playing text-based RPG's, watching silly American movies) taught me skills I still use every day.

By the way, playing soccer may not be much of a career path on your side of the Atlantic, but for some, it is on mine. Playing basketball isn't much of a career path over here, but our very best basketball players end up in the States when they bump into the limits of the possible here. I imagine a select few of those soccer kids you speak of could do the same in reverse. And you're right: most of them won't turn soccer into a career. But then again, how many of your students have done that with piano?

As for waiting for the bus: that strikes me as an excellent opportunity for the reflection that you think over-extended kids are missing out on. Also, as hello my name is says, it can teach them patience, which in my experience is an important life skill. Plus, I really doubt that the world would be a better place if all those people waiting for buses were instead driving around (or being driven around) in private carbon-emitting vehicles. So no, it's not ideal to have to wait 45 minutes for a bus. I agree with you there. But whether it is objectively better to do something else, depends entirely on which alternative you pick, and the criteria by which you choose to judge it.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
It's totally meaningless to try to compare the value of different activities... A great situation imo is when a kid finds something that suits him, gets proper coaching and becomes really good at it. It may even become a career (people can make money in very peculiar ways these days), but if not, while the skills may not be transferable, the learning skills and mindset often is. Which is why a successful athlete can have a very successful career in something else even if starting late.

But it's also great when one is able and driven to try different things and widen one's horizons as a kid. Maybe less "depth" is acquired, but one develops other skills.

We really do need both types of people, those who get very good in one chosen field and those who sort of can jump into anything and get a quick overview. The second type often make good managers while the first type actually gets the job done.

But what's most important is that the kids don't burn out in the process and end up with mental problems when they are 20... Or the parents burn out trying to get everything done. All that is required is some common sense, which is unfortunately not always that common frown

Last edited by outo; 02/23/17 02:52 AM.
Originally Posted by Candywoman
What I was hoping people would say is their personal opinions of all these activities, (hobbies, sports, you name it, even kumon math)and whether you see them as valuable.

Ah - I see. I totally misunderstood your question. I thought you were concerned about a phenomenon that many teachers complain about, namely kids who are enrolled in way too many things by their parents: they're constantly exhausted and can't study anything properly (incl. piano) because of all these activities. So this is not your concern. Gotcha. smile

I would not have a value judgment on any individual activity. I'd hope that the child wants to be doing the activity, and that whoever is teaching it knows what they are doing. Also (again) that there aren't so many activities as to be overwhelming. Maybe how it's done and why it's done plays a role. There's a difference between the child who genuinely wants to immerse himself in something, and the parent who forces things on the child "for the sake of their future" because of what they have read somewhere. I don't like the idea, for example, of piano lessons because it will make kids good at math or look good on a college application. I like the idea of piano lessons for learning to play the piano and a love of music. The attitude will also govern the behaviour of the parent.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by keystring
What I was hoping people would say is their personal opinions of all these activities, (hobbies, sports, you name it, even kumon math)and whether you see them as valuable.

Ah - I see. I totally misunderstood your question. I thought you were concerned about a phenomenon that many teachers complain about, namely kids who are enrolled in way too many things by their parents: they're constantly exhausted and can't study anything properly (incl. piano) because of all these activities. So this is not your concern. Gotcha. smile

I would not have a value judgment on any individual activity. I'd hope that the child wants to be doing the activity, and that whoever is teaching it knows what they are doing. Also (again) that there aren't so many activities as to be overwhelming. Maybe how it's done and why it's done plays a role. There's a difference between the child who genuinely wants to immerse himself in something, and the parent who forces things on the child "for the sake of their future" because of what they have read somewhere. I don't like the idea, for example, of piano lessons because it will make kids good at math or look good on a college application. I like the idea of piano lessons for learning to play the piano and a love of music. The attitude will also govern the behaviour of the parent.

This post nails it, IMO. General value judgments on certain (categories of) activities are meaningless. Everyone's criteria for judging value will be different. What 'most people' tend to think of certain activities, is largely irrelevant to any individual who really wants to do that activity. We may care about the value judgements of significant others in our lives, but pretty much nobody cares about the value judgements made by a stranger on the internet; as well they shouldn't.

To me, the only truly relevant question is how valuable an activity is to the person doing it, and why. Exceptions can and should be made for some specific skills without which it would be impossible to lead a normal life in today's world (such as for instance the ability to communicate in written form). Those, or at least the attempt to learn them, can be mandatory. Things that clearly harm others can and should be outlawed. The rest is, IMO, to each his own.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I don't like the idea, for example, of piano lessons because it will make kids good at math or look good on a college application.

But it is precisely those selling points that are keeping me--and oodles of private piano teachers--financially afloat. You might philosophically disagree with it, but it certainly makes economic sense.

And I would pick a driven student over a loafer. That's just my personal preference.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Saranoya
De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum est. You can't argue about tastes and colors. The Romans knew it 2.5 millennia ago, and yet, here we are.

In case it wasn't obvious: I learned Latin in school. For six years, no less. Today, all I remember of it can be distilled into a few catch phrases (like the one above). Can't say I ever spoke the language: we were taught to translate from Latin to my native Dutch, but never the other way around. Today, I have no use for it. I learned Latin because 'all the smart kids did'. It was sold to me (and to my parents) as a great way to instill study habits, and to prepare for the study of modern foreign languages. In my case, it did neither.

I speak and write three languages fluently (Dutch, French and English), and have forgotten most of what I ever knew of two others that I almost never use (German, Spanish). My knowledge (or lack thereof) of Latin has little to do with any of that. I would say I built fluency in English mostly thanks to the text-based online role playing games and subtitled American movies I was exposed to as a teenager. Whatever knowledge I picked up in my youth remains in development, because I use it (and it is of use to me) every single day. I can't say the same for Latin. And yet, learning Latin (along with math), is seen by many in my country as a 'conditio sine qua non' for smart kids who want to go places. Personally, I think it's mostly a historical artifact, left over from a time before public school. Access to (written) knowledge was then mostly provided and safeguarded by clerics, who wrote and communicated in Latin so that the unwashed masses could be kept out of the conversation. Admittedly, it was at one time also an answer to the multitude of language barriers that divide Europe. Either way, if you wanted to have access to academic knowledge in the Middle Ages, you had to learn Latin. That's no longer true today, yet it retains some of its value as a status indicator: he whose kids are learning Latin, must have smart kids and therefore be a smart man.

My point is this: the thing that most adults considered, in my youth, to be the pinnacle of academic achievement, isn't of much use to me today. Some of the things I did that were frowned upon (playing text-based RPG's, watching silly American movies) taught me skills I still use every day.

I agree with you and the ancient Latins about tastes and colors (and activities). I'm not sure you are quite fair to your own Latin education, though. One of the key things Latin teaches you is about the structure of language. You are fluent in three languages and have learned enough of three others to have stuff you've forgotten because of disuse. I'll bet the orientation you got from the Latin has been working behind the scenes.

You probably can't even imagine the ignorance of language structures that is possible for speakers of just one language (maybe partly because you're European as well as Latin-educated). Here in the US, I teach college students all the time who can't keep their verbs and prepositions straight, let alone grasp more complex language concepts that undoubtedly are second nature to you.

I did not get early Latin education, but had to cram some in for a grad school exam. I've forgotten almost all of it, but I can still see how it helps me--maybe because I learned it late enough that I'm aware of the difference. (This even though I had French and German.)

1989 Baldwin R
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jdw
You probably can't even imagine the ignorance of language structures that is possible for speakers of just one language (maybe partly because you're European as well as Latin-educated). Here in the US, I teach college students all the time who can't keep their verbs and prepositions straight, let alone grasp more complex language concepts that undoubtedly are second nature to you.

Actually, more and more American students are fluently bilingual. However, their grammar continues to be horrific. I was teaching high school in the wake of the Content Standards movement here in California, and I can tell you that my students can't write a compound-complex sentence without multiple errors.

Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I don't like the idea, for example, of piano lessons because it will make kids good at math or look good on a college application.

But it is precisely those selling points that are keeping me--and oodles of private piano teachers--financially afloat. You might philosophically disagree with it, but it certainly makes economic sense.

Actually I was thinking practically rather than philosophically. What I have heard is that the parent who is choosing this for reasons other than music may also not be supportive in the daily practice area, not bother trying to understand what you want as a teacher, and suddenly bizarrely pull the child out for reasons that have nothing to do with progress. Because the goals were incongruous in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong?

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I can tell you that my students can't write a compound-complex sentence without multiple errors.

I think that's rather common in those who don't have the teaching language as their primary language. I teach primarily high school students who speak Arabic at home, French in public life (and to each other whenever the teacher lets them), and Dutch exclusively inside the classroom. Like me, they speak three languages, but unlike me, they speak none of them fluently. Not even their native language, because there's so much interference from the ones they learned afterwards.

I think all kids need to be taught the rules (spelling, grammar) of their native language, and learn to apply them well, before they can successfully be taught to read and write in a non-native language. Those who first learn to read and write in a language that is largely foreign to them, may end up never fully mastering any language.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I think each distinct clientele has its own set of problems in regards to homework and extracurricular activities.

I teach predominantly in two school districts here that give a TON of homework and projects, most of which are aimed at making the teachers "look good." A lot of time is wasted doing pointless tasks. Having been a school teacher myself, I know exactly what these teachers are doing.

Thus, increasingly, the online schools, private schools, and homeschool programs are looking more and more attractive to students who have a genuine pursuit of interest, such as piano, ice skating, tennis, gymnastics, or whatever extracurricular activity that may take up a lot of practice time. And I don't blame their parents! If you know how much time is wasted per day in public schools, then you'll know that the most efficient model of education will avoid all those pointless projects and endless homework (mostly busywork) that don't really have any intrinsic educational value other than to keep the kids busy.

My kids attend private school and projects are the bane of my existence. There is no way that these kids are doing these projects by themselves but they sure look good during Open Houses smile.

Yamaha G2
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoMom2006
My kids attend private school and projects are the bane of my existence. There is no way that these kids are doing these projects by themselves but they sure look good during Open Houses smile.

That reminds me of this: https://youtu.be/NuMC73jdygI

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

And I would pick a driven student over a loafer. That's just my personal preference.

My daughter was recently accepted to a nationally ranked math HS program. When speaking with one of the students in the program, we had asked about orchestra opportunities. Before the student answered the question, the first thing she told my daughter was that ALL kids in the program play a musical instrument.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 02/23/17 05:33 PM.

Yamaha G2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jdw

Actually, more and more American students are fluently bilingual. However, their grammar continues to be horrific. I was teaching high school in the wake of the Content Standards movement here in California, and I can tell you that my students can't write a compound-complex sentence without multiple errors.

Even in formal scholarly written language it is now okay for plural pronouns (they, themselves) to refer to singular nouns. I guess the syntax will sort itself out, but it sets me on edge. Perhaps I should try to be modern and say, "the syntax will sort themselves out..."

Learner
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by malkin
Originally Posted by jdw

Even in formal scholarly written language it is now okay for plural pronouns (they, themselves) to refer to singular nouns. I guess the syntax will sort itself out, but it sets me on edge. Perhaps I should try to be modern and say, "the syntax will sort themselves out..."

Grammar rules do change over time...you know you're old when you correct someone's use of language and are told that what used to be a huge error is now accepted laugh

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
And by the way, I don't think after-school activities necessarily have to lead to a career. But if something like soccer takes up many, many hours through the week, it makes sense to consider whether it could lead to anything.

pianoMom2006: I don't see many direct parallels between music and math. There is the division of the beat into halves, quarters, sixteenths, and thirty-seconds. It may be that kids interested in music end up taking special math programs because they or their parents happen to be more accomplishment-oriented.

I recently read a job search ad in which a young woman stated she wanted a job in accounting. She made over 14 punctuation, spelling, and grammatical errors in this one ad. I'm sure her accounting would have been horrendous.

Last edited by Candywoman; 02/24/17 02:39 AM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
And by the way, I don't think after-school activities necessarily have to lead to a career. But if something like soccer takes up many, many hours through the week, it makes sense to consider whether it could lead to anything.

How many hours a week do you expect your students, at a minimum, to invest in piano? Based on what other teachers have written here, I would guess it's probably at least four: a one hour lesson, and thirty minutes of practice six days a week. Would you say that's fair?

Now, do you know many soccer kids who train for more than four hours a week? (I'm not counting matches, because those are like piano recitals. You wouldn't count them as practice).

Most soccer players will never play professionally. Most piano students don't become professional musicians. They both invest a sizeable chunk of time in their respective interests. One is not inherently more valuable than the other. It just depends on the child's preferences and priorities.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Saranoya

How many hours do you expect your students, at a minimum, to invest in piano? Based on what other teachers have written here, I would guess it's probably at least four: a one hour lesson, and thirty minutes of practice six days a week. Would you say that's fair?

Now, do you know many soccer kids who train for more than four hours a week? (I'm not counting matches, because those are like piano recitals. You wouldn't count them as practice).

Most soccer players will never play professionally. Most piano students don't become professional musicians. They both invest a sizeable chunk of time in their respective interests. One is not inherently more valuable than the other. It just depends on the child's preferences and priorities.

I am sure that there are soccer coaches out there who are currently wondering: 'why do those kids invest so much time in playing a musical instrument? Soccer builds agility, team work, and learning good sportsmanship. Piano is essentially a solitary activity that doesn't develop leadership and group-interactive skills'.

I am saying this from the prospective of a dyed-in-the-wool piano student that never played a group sport. We all judge usefulness based on our backgrounds and perspective; comparison of which is better is meaningless.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Candywoman..I realize that correlation does not imply causation but I definitely felt better hearing that all kids in the math program play an instrument.

One of my biggest fears as a piano mom has been that because my son spends so much time playing piano that he's losing out on other academic enrichment activities. I'm extremely carefully about the number of activities that I allow my kids to participate in which makes us seem very different from our friends. Most families I know are constantly shuffling their children from activity to activity all of the time.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 02/24/17 07:18 AM.

Yamaha G2
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission