Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This Search is powered by Google
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
61 registered (AprilE, AZNpiano, Beacon Chris, Almaviva, bboris77, 16 invisible), 1863 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2617700 - 02/24/17 03:12 PM Mechanical problems with tangents
Sverre Offline

Loc: Norge
I've just got a piano of the brand Finger which has problems with some tangents. It is in the first upper octave, from F # to A, and the A in the first lower octave. Not always, but occasionally I do not get the tone.

Without any knowledge about piano mechanics, I checked it. I can observe the jack butt, and therefore passes it instead of lifting it. See attached picture which show this problem in the F# in the first upper octave.

_DSC2479 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/148367802@N07/]

I’ve got the piano for free, and have no budget for a professional repair now. Therefore, I wonder if you have any advice for how I can try to fix this without the risk of irreparable mistakes.

I assumed that long use or age has deformed the soft part of the butt connected to the hammer, the piano is perhaps 40 years old or more. I also considered that the much dryer environment in my living room compared to where the piano came from. Now I just learned a lot from the first answer, and understand that other issues are more likely.

The jack springs of the affected tangents seem ok, the jacks move easily back, but maybe the springs are not ok anyway. If the jacks move easily, the central joints should also be ok? But I’m not the one to know if the movements are good enough. Would there be an idea to adjust the set off button to prevent the jack to move to far forward, or is that not the function of the set off button?

Some day in the future I need to tune the Piano. Do piano tuners do such repairs on site?

Any suggestions or advice with hope for a solution?

Thank you so much
Mr. Sverremac
Bergen, Norway

Edited by Sverre (02/24/17 04:15 PM)

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2617705 - 02/24/17 03:26 PM Re: Mechanical problems with tangents [Re: Sverre]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
There are diagrams on the internet that will give you the names of all the parts. You should refer to one.

What I would check is whether the jack spring is broken, or the jack's center pin joint is too tight.

#2617722 - 02/24/17 04:20 PM Re: Mechanical problems with tangents [Re: BDB]
Sverre Offline

Originally Posted By BDB
There are diagrams on the internet that will give you the names of all the parts. You should refer to one.

What I would check is whether the jack spring is broken, or the jack's center pin joint is too tight.

Thanks BDB, I learned a lot form your short answer. I changed my post after my new knowledge.

The jack springs seem ok, at least not visible damaged, and they have the force to move the jacks, but maybe not enough. I don't know about the center pin, but the jacks moves easily, as far as I am able to consider. I wonder if an adjustment of the set off button would prevent the jack from going too far. But that is maybe not the function of the set of button?

As mentioned in the post, some day in the future I need to tune the Piano. Do piano tuners do such repairs on site?

Edited by Sverre (02/24/17 04:22 PM)

#2617790 - 02/24/17 08:04 PM Re: Mechanical problems with tangents [Re: Sverre]
P W Grey Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Sverre,

There are a number possible causes for this:

1) Jack spring weak or broken
2) Capstan on key set too high
3) Backcheck set too far away
4) Tight bushing on Jack
5) Key front heavy
6) Any combination of the above
7) Something else

Quite difficult to accurately diagnose it from this distance.

Pwg
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
(Best way to contact me privately)

(ad 568)
PTG Journal Online
PTG Journal Online
#2617795 - 02/24/17 08:17 PM Re: Mechanical problems with tangents [Re: P W Grey]
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By P W Grey
Sverre,

There are a number possible causes for this:

1) Jack spring weak or broken
2) Capstan on key set too high
3) Backcheck set too far away
4) Tight bushing on Jack
5) Key front heavy
6) Any combination of the above
7) Something else

Quite difficult to accurately diagnose it from this distance.

Pwg

7) To add to "something else" list:) It could also be the pads on the hammer rest rail have compressed or have fallen off.

Can you get the regulating specs for your piano from the internet or from the manufacturer? Although regulating specs are not Holy Writ, they can be a good general diagnostic guide.

But first, as suggested, you want to make sure there are no mechanical issues such as weak/broken springs and binding jack action centers.

Edit: One more possibility... If the let-off rail is too close to the jacks, the jacks could be getting caught when the key is released. Sometimes, the screws that hold the let-off rail come loose and the let-off rail changes position.

Edited by daniokeeper (02/24/17 08:21 PM)
(semi-retired)

#2617796 - 02/24/17 08:34 PM Re: Mechanical problems with tangents [Re: Sverre]
Sverre Offline

Thank you P W Grey and daniokeeper. This was quite advanced for me. I understand a professional probably has to do this. But I hope little things like a replacement of a spring, or an adjustment of parts slightly out of place, can be done by the one who comes to tune my piano in the future?

A weak feather seems likely, since the jack in some occations slips to hit the hammerbutt, but in other cases are quite perfectly in place. Or at least I WISH a weak feather is the case, because it seems easy to fix.

Edited by Sverre (02/24/17 08:37 PM)

#2617806 - 02/24/17 09:55 PM Re: Mechanical problems with tangents [Re: Sverre]
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Hi Sverre,

Not all tuners are well-experienced with repair; some specialize in tuning only.

You may want to bookmark this thread in case your tuner has a hard time diagnosing the problem.
(semi-retired)

#2617876 - Yesterday at 07:39 AM Re: Mechanical problems with tangents [Re: daniokeeper]
Sverre Offline

Originally Posted By daniokeeper
Hi Sverre,

Not all tuners are well-experienced with repair; some specialize in tuning only.

You may want to bookmark this thread in case your tuner has a hard time diagnosing the problem.

Thanks, I will call some local tuners and piano sellers and hear what they say.

Originally Posted By Sverre
[quote=BDBI wonder if an adjustment of the set off button would prevent the jack from going too far. But that is maybe not the function of the set of button?

You didn't mention the set off button in your list? Does that mean it does not have any function in this?

#2617893 - Yesterday at 09:03 AM Re: Mechanical problems with tangents [Re: Sverre]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
You can have a problem if the let off (or set off) button rail is loose. Tightening the screws that hold it in is about the only thing that I might suggest that an amateur that does not understand how the action works try. Otherwise, it is better to wait until your finances improve enough to have someone repair it. Even then, it is important that it is the screws that hold the button rail in place that are tightened, not the screws on the buttons!

If you do the wrong thing, you can make the piano worse, and make it harder to repair.

#2617979 - Yesterday at 03:41 PM Re: Mechanical problems with tangents [Re: Sverre]
Sverre Offline

Originally Posted By BDB
Even then, it is important that it is the screws that hold the button rail in place that are tightened, not the screws on the buttons! If you do the wrong thing, you can make the piano worse, and make it harder to repair.

Thanks BDB! Yes, I understand that the screws on the buttons is too delicate to be handled without knowledge.

This was a piano for free. Here in Norway, as I guess it is other places too, people give away pianos because it is hard and expensive to get them out of their houses. I could go for another free piano. But I have already sort of fallen in love with the sound and the appearance, and I want to get to know it. And it was an effort to get this into my house. I have no idea of the cost of the repair. But I hope it would be as easy as a tuner with some new jack feathers in his pocket. wink

Edited by Sverre (Yesterday at 03:55 PM)

#2618060 - Today at 12:13 AM Re: Mechanical problems with tangents [Re: Sverre]
Bourniplus Online   content

Loc: Quebec
Hi Sverre, if you could take a video with a quality as good as your picture, that might help to diagnose the problem. When it occurs, does the hammer move at all, or the jack just slips?

Moderator:  Piano World 
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha FC3A half damper midi range
by bboris77
02/26/17 12:11 AM
Bach Sinfonias
by earlofmar
02/25/17 10:56 PM
Looking for a smaller grand
by P3T3R
02/25/17 09:00 PM
Which method did you use to learn piano?
by bennevis
02/25/17 08:22 PM
Anyone aware of this? GEWA piano?.....
by EssBrace
02/25/17 05:55 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
86,800 Registered Members
44 Forums
178,719 Topics
2,601,858 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission