Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This Search is powered by Google
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
62 registered (agraffe, bennevis, Amosdoll, ando, 15 invisible), 1788 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2617863 - Yesterday at 06:27 AM Which Digital Stage Piano has the Best Action?
drpharmer Offline

Hi!
This question may have been asked before, but new pianos are launched on the market all the time, so I hope someone with experience will be patient enough to post their opinion. I have a Yamaha CP-5 that is 6 years old. The surface is pitting on several keys from use (I'm not complaining, just explaining that I use it). I had another Yamaha stage piano (forget the number) before that one. I see many posts about which piano has the best tone. To me the tone is adequate on many digital pianos, what I want is the best action, and I do prefer a lighter action than average. And, I prefer not to have a piano take up much space, so I just want a stage piano. Is anybody out there who can give me some valuable advice?

I did have an acoustic piano for about 30 years (I had it restored, it was a Conover built in 1932) but I couldn't take it with me on my last job move, so I donated it to the local church's school. So I don't have an acoustic anymore, and to tell you the truth I don't miss it. That's why I want to have the best digital I can get.

Thanks!!!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2617865 - Yesterday at 06:47 AM Re: Which Digital Stage Piano has the Best Action? [Re: drpharmer]
Dave Horne Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
This will be the first thread discussing which stage piano has the best action. smile

I owned the CP5 for six years or so and liked the action but thought the action of the CP300 (which I also owned) was better.

Since you want a lighter action you'd probably like the CP4, the follow up to the CP5. I thought of going that route but I couldn't see the point since the pianos are so similar.

The best stage piano action I've ever played was the Kawai MP11.
I didn't like the looks of the piano, but if you want the best action, that's the piano for you. I was not thrilled with the default grand on that stage piano and thought the Jazz Piano, the third in the menu, was the best.

A lot of this comes down to money and taste.

website | mp3\wav files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 (ordered, waiting on delivery) | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

#2617870 - Yesterday at 07:15 AM Re: Which Digital Stage Piano has the Best Action? [Re: drpharmer]
drpharmer Offline

Thanks!! Cost is not a variable for consideration, I just want the best action! It is not easy to find demo models available in stores to play around me. I did play the Roland V piano once in a store, but I have not found demos models of different manufacturers in one store to play at the same time.

#2617879 - Yesterday at 07:48 AM Re: Which Digital Stage Piano has the Best Action? [Re: drpharmer]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
They would be regarded as 'portable pianos' rather than 'stage pianos' but have you considered the Kawai ES8? Or Roland FP90. They both represent sweet spots in their respective ranges.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2617962 - Yesterday at 02:41 PM Re: Which Digital Stage Piano has the Best Action? [Re: drpharmer]
drpharmer Offline

So here is the text about the Kawai MP11 action from the user manual:

"The best keyboard action available in a stage piano. The MP11 utilises Kawai’s latest Grand Feel wooden-key keyboard action, which draws upon 85 years of acoustic piano craftsmanship
to provide an exceptionally realistic playing experience. As with a grand piano, all eighty-eight black and white keys are crafted from long pieces of wood, pivoting on a central balance
pin in a smooth, seesaw-like motion. The Grand Feel keys are longer than any other digital piano keyboard action, with the pivot point distance extended to match that of a Kawai grand piano. When the front of a key is pressed down, the rear rises, throwing a hammer which plays the note. These hammers are graded in size and weight, replicating the heavier bass and lighter treble notes
of an acoustic grand piano, while additional counter-weights embedded within the lower keys help to lighten their touch during pianissimo passages. The Grand Feel keyboard action even reproduces the subtle let-off sensation felt when playing the keys of a grand piano very softly, satisfying the expectations of even the most discerning pianists. Finally, the Grand Feel keyboard action features Kawai’s Ivory Touch key surfaces as standard. This finely textured material gently
absorbs moisture to assist playing control, and possesses a natural, matte finish that is smooth, but not slippery."

Any comments? Why do they say the key throws a hammer which plays the note? This is a digital piano. The action does sound more complex action than my Yamaha. Is any regular maintenance required? And finally, a pet peeve, I have never seen the word 'utilize' used in a sentence where 'use' would have been a better choice. (It doesn't really make you sound smart)

#2617964 - Yesterday at 02:58 PM Re: Which Digital Stage Piano has the Best Action? [Re: drpharmer]
clothearednincompo Online   content

Loc: Finland
The key throws a hammer and is actually not very complex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqQ4oaOCSXQ&feature=youtu.be&t=5m04s

(That's a link to PianoManChuck's RM3/Grand Feel comparison video.)

#2617969 - Yesterday at 03:20 PM Re: Which Digital Stage Piano has the Best Action? [Re: drpharmer]
Doug M. Offline

Loc: Cheshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By drpharmer
Hi!
This question may have been asked before, but new pianos are launched on the market all the time, so I hope someone with experience will be patient enough to post their opinion. I have a Yamaha CP-5 that is 6 years old. The surface is pitting on several keys from use (I'm not complaining, just explaining that I use it). I had another Yamaha stage piano (forget the number) before that one. I see many posts about which piano has the best tone. To me the tone is adequate on many digital pianos, what I want is the best action, and I do prefer a lighter action than average. And, I prefer not to have a piano take up much space, so I just want a stage piano. Is anybody out there who can give me some valuable advice?

I did have an acoustic piano for about 30 years (I had it restored, it was a Conover built in 1932) but I couldn't take it with me on my last job move, so I donated it to the local church's school. So I don't have an acoustic anymore, and to tell you the truth I don't miss it. That's why I want to have the best digital I can get.

Thanks!!!

In order "best to less best":
Avant Grand
Grand Feel II
Casio GP500
Grand Feel 1
PHA50

Sound/action combo
Roland LX17
Kawai CS11
Avant Grand N3X

With pianoteq:
Avant Grand N3X
Kawai CS11
Casio GP500

#2617970 - Yesterday at 03:24 PM Re: Which Digital Stage Piano has the Best Action? [Re: drpharmer]
Goss Online   happy
500 Post Club Member

Loc: the Netherlands
Just FYI, the VPiano used the older PHAIII action, which was followed by the PHA-IV. Currently most of Roland's line up uses the new PHA-50 action - the FP-90 is one of them, the RD-2000 another.

#2617981 - Yesterday at 03:51 PM Re: Which Digital Stage Piano has the Best Action? [Re: drpharmer]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
IT's possible that Kawai will be coming out with an MP12 - which would have their latest GF II action. No idea when this will happen, though. I own an MP11 and love the action, that's why I bought it.

#2617983 - Yesterday at 04:00 PM Re: Which Digital Stage Piano has the Best Action? [Re: drpharmer]
drpharmer Offline

The video is cool. In the words of Piano Man Chuck: The MP11 has the longest key. (Some would say: size does matter -:)

I play the AvantGrand when I attend a piano performance group in the area, I agree that because it is a real piano action married to a digital sound, you could say that is the best one. Not a consideration for me because of the size of the whole piano, I want one that at least has pretensions to portability. So now, #1 on my list is the MP11.

You guys are great! On to find a demo model at a store when I get back from my golf vacation!

#2618002 - Yesterday at 05:51 PM Re: Which Digital Stage Piano has the Best Action? [Re: drpharmer]
Gombessa Offline

I have an MP11 as well, and I purchased it mainly for the action.

Lately I've been able to spend quite a bit more time on acoustic grands as well as other slabs from Yamaha, Roland, and Casio, and the MP11 is really a cut above in terms of realism. The differences start feeling subtle between the manufacturers when you get into that $2000+ range, but I haven't yet found a slab that is quite as real as the Grand Feel action in the MP11--I find I adjust my playing style so much less when moving from the MP11 to the grand and vice versa, than with the other DPs.

#2618097 - Today at 05:02 AM Re: Which Digital Stage Piano has the Best Action? [Re: drpharmer]
Goss Online   happy
500 Post Club Member

Loc: the Netherlands
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2594832 might be of interest to you drpharmer - a nice couple weekends work, and you would have the awesome MP11 looking right at home =]

Moderator:  Piano World 
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha FC3A half damper midi range
by bboris77
02/26/17 12:11 AM
Bach Sinfonias
by earlofmar
02/25/17 10:56 PM
Looking for a smaller grand
by P3T3R
02/25/17 09:00 PM
Which method did you use to learn piano?
by bennevis
02/25/17 08:22 PM
Anyone aware of this? GEWA piano?.....
by EssBrace
02/25/17 05:55 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
86,800 Registered Members
44 Forums
178,720 Topics
2,601,903 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission