2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Good Morning you guys. It's me again. Believe it or not. We haven't decide. Suddenly real pianos are back in the game. We're talking strictly vertical. Not used one. The catch is it must not be upright. Yup. Spinets. Studios. Consoles. Please suggest some you guys. The ones around 69 Hundred. If you could get as low as 39 that would be magical.

Also. May I know why spinets and studios and consoles are not as popular as upright? Especially studios? Studios are cheaper and they look quite identical to Uprights. Thanks Guys smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Spinets are not made anymore, and their design is compromised on many levels (tone, action, serviceability), so they are generally not recommended.

Studios and consoles are shorter than "full" uprights, and they don't tend to have the same fullness of tone in the bass due to their shorter size. Tall vertical pianos seem to be more popular in Europe and Asia than America, probably due to differences in the size of the average home. The most popular segment in the new acoustic piano market in America is small grand pianos.

The Piano Buyer site has a useful acoustic piano database tool, where you can plug in size, cost, and desired furniture styles/colors, and it will spit out a list of what's available. You can even enter a % discount from SMP pricing and see what they might cost after negotiation.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by keykeyzkeys
May I know why spinets and studios and consoles are not as popular as upright? Especially studios? Studios are cheaper and they look quite identical to Uprights. Thanks Guys smile

They just don't sound good enough. If you need something short, you'd be far better off with a good quality digital than a spinet.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
i.m.o., once you get up to the studio size (45-47 in.), quality and tone can prevail over the amplitude of a taller but ordinary piano. and some studio pianos will equal or surpass mediocre full height pianos in amplitude as well. the popularity of small grands in america can work to the advantage for buyers of used uprights, if the shopper is patient and willing to log in travel and time.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by huaidongxi
i.m.o., once you get up to the studio size (45-47 in.), quality and tone can prevail over the amplitude of a taller but ordinary piano. and some studio pianos will equal or surpass mediocre full height pianos in amplitude as well. the popularity of small grands in america can work to the advantage for buyers of used uprights, if the shopper is patient and willing to log in travel and time.

Originally Posted by ando
May I know why spinets and studios and consoles are not as popular as upright? Especially studios? Studios are cheaper and they look quite identical to Uprights. Thanks Guys smile

They just don't sound good enough. If you need something short, you'd be far better off with a good quality digital than a spinet.

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Spinets are not made anymore, and their design is compromised on many levels (tone, action, serviceability), so they are generally not recommended.

Studios and consoles are shorter than "full" uprights, and they don't tend to have the same fullness of tone in the bass due to their shorter size. Tall vertical pianos seem to be more popular in Europe and Asia than America, probably due to differences in the size of the average home. The most popular segment in the new acoustic piano market in America is small grand pianos.

The Piano Buyer site has a useful acoustic piano database tool, where you can plug in size, cost, and desired furniture styles/colors, and it will spit out a list of what's available. You can even enter a % discount from SMP pricing and see what they might cost after negotiation.

So spinets are extinct. So. We still have consoles and studios. Been to two piano places. When it comes to acoustics. Only Full Grands And Baby Grandd And Uprights. I can understand no spinets. BUT. Why no consoles and no studios?

Like you said. Some high - end studios are better than some entry - level uprights.

Can you guys suggest some brands and models. Piano Buyer splits into two main sections. Verticals and Grands. After that. Furniture selections. I don't know which selection belongs to upright and vertical and studio and console and so on. Please help you guys.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
quick tip -- studio size verticals in centimeters are in the 114-118 cm. range, and many model numbers from different makers use those numbers in the model designation. if you have read any of the uniformly favorable reviews of the Charles Walter model 1500, those are studio height. many other premium makers build pianos in studio heights, including grotrian, bluethner, forster, bechstein et. al., but they're not easy to find in the u.s.

this was once a very popular size due to its versatility in practice and rehearsal settings -- a director, kapellmeister, dance teacher can watch students/performers over the top of the piano. once upon a time practice rooms all over the u.s., schools at every level relied on the Baldwin Hamilton studio upright. played on more than a few myself ; like any mass produced product under huge variations of condition and upkeep, quality was all over the place, but many were good to very good. not long ago a participant here found one in very good condition at a great price and was quite happy with it, but you've ruled out used instruments.

as far as the commercially available, non premium brands, most asian makers make studio uprights including yamaha (the P22 has had some favorable reviews) or kawai (the UST9 is intended to be a workhorse studio piano in the similar vein to the baldwin hamilton, and their k series are usually well regarded). piano dealers simply have to make choices on their inventory, and depending on your market your dealers declined to put studio uprights in their showrooms if you haven't seen any. granted, the Charles Walters aren't in as many dealers as the asian brands.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Can you guys suggest some brands and models. Piano Buyer splits into two main sections. Verticals and Grands. After that. Furniture selections. I don't know which selection belongs to upright and vertical and studio and console and so on. Please help you guys.

Regarding the acoustic piano database for uprights, just select "all styles" to make sure you don't accidentally leave anything out. "Ebony or ebonized" will always be the least expensive color, in terms of trying to create an inclusive list of similar pianos. Mostly, narrowing down the desired size and price range is important to getting a useful result from the database tool.

OP Offline
Thanks you guys. Spinets are extincts. Consoles are practicality gone too. Studios make up just to a niche market. So again. I think I have to start all over again.

So far. A Full Grand is a no - no because too expensive and too big.

Baby Grand still out of the question because still pricey.

Upright is still not part of the race because still out of the budget albeit being cheaper and since we only want a brand new machine.

Spinets are impossible because they are extinct.

Console. You know how it is.

Studios are out of the race because they are rarer than kryptonite stones.

Electric Piano. Nope. Extinct. Bad Sound.

Electronic Piano. They Sucked Harder.

Mini Keyboard is an insult to the love of my life.

Portable Keyboard still an insult.

Keytars? Really?

MiDi Controller? What's the point?

Keyboard Bass? We already have a real bass instrument.

OP Offline
...........Synthesizers........... Not into that fake synth NES sound.

Arrangers. Most have not good enough qualities to be taken seriously.

Now the real battle is between KeyBoard WorkStation versus Digital
Piano versus Hybrid Piano.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Studios aren't rare. They're in practically every school in the western world.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Studios aren't rare. They're in practically every school in the western world.

I thought that that were uprights???.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Typically 45-46" institutional studios. Very basic, uglier furniture with more useful music desks than typical vertical pianos.
Baldwin Hamiltons, Yamaha P22 (and older P2, Kawai UST-9 (and older, lower numbers), Boston 118S, Charles Walter 1500, Steinway 1098, likely some similarly sized other brands in Europe.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Would help to know where you live.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission