Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This Search is powered by Google
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
126 registered (AdrianR, accordeur, augustm, ARpiano, 21 invisible), 2502 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2618159 - Today at 11:16 AM So Many Different Typessssssssssssss?
keykeyzkeys Online   content

Driving me nuts. You guys. So many types of digital pianos out there. So many makers too. So far I've managed to identify Digital Baby Grand and Digital Console and Digital Upright.

BUT. Totally clueless about Digital Portable Pianos and Digital Stage Pianos? All I know is that a portable is so much cheaper. Should I get the more expensive stage ones? BUT. I cannot tell them apart. Help. You guys.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2618170 - Today at 11:53 AM Re: So Many Different Typessssssssssssss? [Re: keykeyzkeys]
Dave Horne Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
You've been asked this before if I'm not mistaken, _what_ is it you want to accomplish? What are your musical needs?

Also, how much musical training do you have?

website | mp3\wav files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 (ordered, waiting on delivery) | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

#2618202 - Today at 01:42 PM Re: So Many Different Typessssssssssssss? [Re: keykeyzkeys]
Gombessa Offline

Never expected to get a question here from Cobra Commander! smile

Keyz,

I think you are getting too caught up in the nomenclature. None of these types are standard classifications, you don't have bodies like IUPAC or ANSI determining or enforcing whether a DP is labeled a portable or stage (or keyboard or workstation). You just need to look at the features you want/need, including form factor, weight and dimensions. Then you can decide for yourself whether the piano you're looking at is a portable, stage, semi-portable, portable-permanent, infinite-mass, or even non-potable (unless you have iodine).

#2618212 - Today at 02:11 PM Re: So Many Different Typessssssssssssss? [Re: keykeyzkeys]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Gombessa is right. The words are not important.

And Dave Horne asks the central question: What are your needs?
What matters is: - What do you want to do with the piano?
- Need it be portable?
- Do you care about the appearance?
- Will you play through a stage/hall sound system?

These factors differentiate the various piano classifications.
Pick a type that fits your needs.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2618255 - Today at 05:05 PM Re: So Many Different Typessssssssssssss? [Re: keykeyzkeys]

Yes. Numerous times have I answered too. Recreational Use. Entertaining Dinner Party Guests. Things like that.

Not necessary portable. BUT. Portability might be a plus. A pro. Just small enough to fit into an average four - or - five - room - apartment. You know. Without feeling cluttered. Is it big enough for a non - portable?

Appearance is only somewhat of an importance.

Plugging into an amp / speaker / sound system might be a possibility but not a priority though.

The accomplishment is all about having fun.

Musical needs? Preferably 88 keys? I don't know?

Can play chords with one hand. One chord at a time. Not that kind of players that can play Rythym / Melody thingies separately. Three right fingers and three left fingers. Only three right fingers here. We can play both parts only via piano duet though. LoL smile Please don't judge us despite being super old smile

#2618257 - 56 minutes 0 seconds ago Re: So Many Different Typessssssssssssss? [Re: keykeyzkeys]
EssBrace Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Right. Check out Kawai ES8 and Roland FP90. Both available with a stand and pedal set up if you want to enhance the form factor over normal keyboard stands. Both are portable. Both have decent onboard speakers that would suffice for a normal living room environment. Both are good value relative to their respective ranges. Both are recent launches and have lots of life left in them.

Your next step is to go to a piano shop and see what you think of the options out there.

#2618259 - 53 minutes 59 seconds ago Re: So Many Different Typessssssssssssss? [Re: keykeyzkeys]
Dave Horne Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
... and then you have the choice of a piano stand and a bench.

Amplification? smile It never ends.

website | mp3\wav files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 (ordered, waiting on delivery) | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

#2618261 - 52 minutes 29 seconds ago Re: So Many Different Typessssssssssssss? [Re: keykeyzkeys]

Oh yes. Must be no more than 9499.99 tops. Preferably around 1500 even though.

I know that I am always being very technical and not touchy feely like you gurus out here. You know the ones who can tell which machine sounds better and all. We just don't have that kind of ear for pianos at least. All weighted keys feel the same to me. Fingers are not that sensitive. Ours at least. That's why we always go for specs.

So we really must understand the difference between digital stage piano and digital portable piano. Bare with me. Guys. Only then I can narrow down my stupid list.

#2618268 - 41 minutes 5 seconds ago Re: So Many Different Typessssssssssssss? [Re: keykeyzkeys]

Amplification. Stand. Bench. I think we can manage that later. LoL. The machine is what's important.

#2618272 - 35 minutes 6 seconds ago Re: So Many Different Typessssssssssssss? [Re: keykeyzkeys]
toddy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
The difference between a digital stage piano and a digital portable piano is that the former needs to be plugged into an amplifier and speakers (usually a PA or monitor system) to work. The latter has built-in amplifier and speakers.

Because the stage piano is more for working musicians, it usually has more professional features such as performance set ups and more in/ out options.

Both nearly always have 88 keys with hammer type action of some kind.

Why not try the ones essbrace suggested above before much more ado. They really sound like the ones that would suit your requirements.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 Ult. / Focusrite Saffire 24
W7, i7 4770, 16GB / Monitors: Yamaha HS7s .

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven & heck

#2618279 - 19 minutes 32 seconds ago Re: So Many Different Typessssssssssssss? [Re: toddy]

Originally Posted By toddy
The difference between a digital stage piano and a digital portable piano is that the former needs to be plugged into an amplifier and speakers (usually a PA or monitor system) to work. The latter has built-in amplifier and speakers.

Because the stage piano is more for working musicians, it usually has more professional features such as performance set ups and more in/ out options.

Both nearly always have 88 keys with hammer type action of some kind.

Why not try the ones essbrace suggested above before much more ado. They really sound like the ones that would suit your requirements.

Thanks man. Best explanation so far for this thread.

Moderator:  Piano World 
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
carpet saver
by David Farley
49 minutes 0 seconds ago
George Steck Prize
by Carmen92
Today at 05:05 PM
Introduction
by Lihp
Today at 03:35 PM
Baldwin monarch serial number 349779
by Ellie!!!!!
Today at 03:18 PM
Wanted - Opinion on Bluthner Concert Grand
by Myds
Today at 02:30 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
86,812 Registered Members
44 Forums
178,734 Topics
2,602,080 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission