Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#264807 - 12/29/04 08:07 AM Antique Pianos -- worth it??
zzipidy Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
I'm thinking about getting an Emerson Upright piano -- circa 1893. It's beautifully ornate and has all the entact ivories. The story is that it sat in a basement for over 40 years untouched. Apart from that I don't know anything about it. This would be our family's first piano -- is this something worth restoring, paying maybe up to $3K on fixing?? My husband, who has never played an instrument in his life, is sceptical, but I want a nice sounding piano for my kids to learn on, and I want something attractive in my house... any help!?!?!?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#264808 - 12/29/04 08:14 AM Re: Antique Pianos -- worth it??
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
3K won't "fix" it, it will just put a pretty face on it and patch up things enough for you to *think* it's fixed.

Old uprights might be "antiques" from the standpoint of age, but they have absolutely no antique value. The cost of properly restoring the piano and making it a dependable instrument will be 3 times what you've quoted, and it will be worth about 1500 bucks after you spend all that money.

Short version - if you just have to have it to look at, consider it a decoration in your home, not a piano. Then go buy a piano to play on. Just don't pay more than 100 bucks for the thing.

#264809 - 12/29/04 08:31 AM Re: Antique Pianos -- worth it??
Fan of the Bösendorfer Offline

Loc: NYC
I second Larry's post. Verbatim.

#264810 - 12/29/04 08:37 AM Re: Antique Pianos -- worth it??
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
What Larry said and what we also said in the other thread where you asked the same question!

Cheers!

#264811 - 12/29/04 09:05 AM Re: Antique Pianos -- worth it??
Steve Cohen Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
What Larry said, and they aren't even really considered antiques.

An antique is generally considered something that is double its life-expectency. For example, in most states a car can get "Historic" or "Antique" licence plates when the car is 25 years old.

With piano having about an 70 year life-expectency, an real antique piano would be one made around the Civil War!

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#264812 - 12/29/04 09:07 AM Re: Antique Pianos -- worth it??
Paul Spitzer Offline

Loc: Seattle
Old pre World War One pianos offer beauty, rarity and a history that is hard to attach a value to. They do have a market value, nonetheless. You may get an idea of how much that is by looking at what is available at vintage piano dealers.

New instruments lose a huge chunk of their price just leaving the dealer. From there on they will continue to depreciate while some old pianos in good condition will hold their own.

Price is everything to some. Tone is to others. To those who appreciate old pianos the decision involves some further intangibles.

A piano technician with a vintage piano experience can give you a good idea of what expect from your Emerson.

#264813 - 12/29/04 09:29 AM Re: Antique Pianos -- worth it??
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

A good piano technician is going to tell you not to spend a dime on a piano that old, because the cost of turning it into a dependable instrument is going to be far beyond reasonable. "Vintage piano dealers" is a term used to describe hack piano rebuilders who deal in junk.

#264814 - 12/29/04 09:39 AM Re: Antique Pianos -- worth it??
zzipidy Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Thanks for all the input -- I just think it's such a shame that a lot of people think such a beautiful piano belongs in the dump!! I guess it's just a symptom of our throw-away society nowadays.... I, for one, think an old mahogany piano I can fix up for two grand was probably built far better than some cheap chinese knockoff for the same money. I am having a piano restorer look at the piano this afternoon -- I'll let you guys know what he says about it! I will, however, walk away if the soundboard is shot and it is a total basketcase!
Thanks again!!

#264815 - 12/29/04 09:56 AM Re: Antique Pianos -- worth it??
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

An old late 40s TV set in a nice mahogany cabinet with lots of trimwork looks neat too. Should we fix those up even though it will cost 20 times more than a new TV? What do you expect a piano rebuilder to tell you, other than what will put money in his pocket? I can tell you before he even gets there what you'll hear - just exactly what you want to hear, and what will line his pockets - give him a couple thousand bucks, and it will be a beauty!

We tried to give you advice that will keep you from losing your shirt. What you do with that information is up to you.

#264816 - 12/29/04 09:59 AM Re: Antique Pianos -- worth it??
Gene Grant Offline

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but please be very skeptical. We deal in restored pianos as well as new ones, and except for the premium names, there is very little value in old pianos.

Also, remember that a restoration is a complex project. Generally, the full amount of the required work cannot be measured until the project has actually commenced. Therefore, even as professionals, whenever we approach a piano as a restoration project we typically double the estimates in terms of time and money. Whereas this approach may seem overly harsh, it prevents unpleasant surprises and ensures that we only select projects that are economically viable.

It always saddens me to see customers purchase an old piano with dreams of restoration, and then learn from them some time later that they spent much more than they expected and the pianos still does not meet their expectations. Current economics dictate that it is far less expensive to purchase a good new piano than it will cost to restore an older piano – especially for upright models!

#264817 - 12/29/04 11:04 AM Re: Antique Pianos -- worth it??
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
 Quote:
Originally posted by zzipidy:
I'm thinking about getting an Emerson Upright piano -- circa 1893. It's beautifully ornate and has all the entact ivories. The story is that it sat in a basement for over 40 years untouched. Apart from that I don't know anything about it. This would be our family's first piano -- is this something worth restoring, paying maybe up to $3K on fixing?? My husband, who has never played an instrument in his life, is sceptical, but I want a nice sounding piano for my kids to learn on, and I want something attractive in my house... any help!?!?!? [/b]
May I perhaps put another perspective on this.

Emerson upright pianos were designed to the standards of the day, structurally well made and often, as with this instrument, “beautifully ornate.” They can usually be remanufactured to perform at least as well as they did when they were originally built. Sometimes, with some scale updating and soundboard design tweaking, much better.

So, where is the catch? It’s in the dollars. And in the expectations. You are looking for a piano you can put into nice, playable condition for “maybe up to $3K.” We’ll assume this includes casework, finish and interior work. As others before me have so eloquently pointed out this isn’t going to happen. At least probably not. After all, by next week this thing is going to be 112 years old. But, only your technician can tell for sure. And you’d be very wise to have a good technician — one very familiar with this kind of work — look it over carefully before proceeding. Even if it is being offered to you “free.”

Upright pianos can be remanufactured but, just like grands, it does run into some money. The action is going to have to be rebuilt with some or all of the parts being replaced. It’s going to need new strings and a new pinblock. The soundboard assembly is probably toast. In the end the cost of fully remanufacturing this Emerson upright might well run, if not in upwards of $20K, certainly in the high teens. The very high teens.

Now when it’s finished the performance of this instrument will be fully competitive with anything available on the new market at any price. In addition its appearance will be spectacular! Unmatched by anything being made today at any price. But here things start to get a bit blurred.

On other PF threads the relative costs of new high-end upright pianos has been discussed. These things are not cheap either with many running well upwards of $20K. Most of these new high-end vertical pianos will also deliver, if not great, certainly very good acoustical performance. Not quite the same (especially in the bass) as the remanufactured Emerson, perhaps, but it will very good each in its own unique way. Plus, their actions will also be very good and they will be very reliable. (Traits you should also expect from the remanufactured Emerson.) What will be lacking is the massive bulk and solidness of the Emerson. And the beautifully ornate casework of the Emerson.

So why isn’t this done regularly? Sounds like a good way to go to get an outstanding upright piano. Again, it’s in the dollars. If you buy a new vertical piano for $20K and decide to sell it a year or two later you’ll still get a fairly good price for it. You won’t make any money on the deal, but you shouldn’t lose a lot either. On the other hand if you decide to sell your remanufactured Emerson a year later you can probably expect to get between $5K and $10K. Maybe. Depending on your market area. We just don’t value this kind of thing much in our country. We’d much rather throw it away and start over even if the new does not come even close to the standard of the old.

The few pianos of this type that we have remanufactured have mostly been for the owners of homes which simply cried out for one of the beautifully designed and crafted upright pianos of yesteryear. Places where a polished plastic, slab sided rectangular box would have been an affront both to the eye and to the ear. Sadly, the fact that they were also excellent musical instruments has often been a secondary consideration. If it was a consideration at all.

So, for $3K you should probably look for a lightly used modern piano and leave the beautiful old Emerson where it is. It's the prudent thing to do.

Del
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Physis Piano K4 EX, tell me more...
by thercman
10/22/14 07:14 PM
Are pianos sometimes voiced or tuned differently for jazz?
by Jake Jackson
10/22/14 06:18 PM
Stay safe, Ottawa
by jehalliday
10/22/14 03:51 PM
Which Books did Chopin Study?
by Batuhan
10/22/14 03:12 PM
Study Group - Mozart Sonata n13 KV 333
by Doritos Flavoured
10/22/14 02:40 PM
Who's Online
133 registered (accordeur, angga888, alfredo capurso, A Guy, ajames, 41 invisible), 1366 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76619 Members
42 Forums
158424 Topics
2326534 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission