2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
saxguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
First, I'd like to apologize for the short notice on this one. I was waiting for confirmation that it was actually going to happen. As some of you remember we had a wonderful recital by Alan Wasserman this past spring. I know the holidays are hectic, but we have something really special planned.

A good friend of Alan's, Australian Pianist Gil Sullivan, will be playing at Carnegie Hall the second week of december. He is playing his program in my home in New Jersey on the evening of Saturday, December 8th. If anyone is interested in coming they can email me directly at saxguy71@hotmail.com - hopefully a few members can attend.

Information about Gil can be found here:

http://www.midamerica-music.com/whatsnew_dec2007.htm#Dec10

Bösendorfer 290
S
saxguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I copied the bio information here, it should be a great night.

"The finest interpreter of Mozart in the world" (Südhessen Woche) is how European newspapers once greeted international concert pianist Gil Sullivan on a concert tour there. Their acclamations continued: "It is hard to believe that just one person could so convincingly make the piano sound like a full orchestra" (Darmstadter Echo). "There were so many magical moments...even Brahms himself would have been impressed" [of the 2nd Brahms Sonata] (Weinheimer Nachrichten). "Not just another pianistic wizard, but a cultured and refined musician, whose rare and insightful vision into the very soul of the music cast a magic spell over the entire concert hall" (Badische Zeitung).

In Australia, critics have been equally enthusiastic: "Playing informed by brilliance of tone and accuracy...invariably placed at the service of the music" (The Australian). "...Sullivan's digital athleticism made a lot of noisy sparks fly with a spontaneity that is all too often lacking from live performance these days..." (The Advertiser). "Sullivan's interpretation of Beethoven's 'Emperor' concerto is one of overall directness and command...authority and flair...with sensitive rubatos and a fine tonal range" (Music Maker).

Mr. Sullivan tours extensively, both internationally and throughout Australia. He performs regularly in Asia, Europe, and the United Kingdom, and on his first tour of the United States several years ago, every recital was greeted with a standing ovation. He has given recitals in the Vietnam National Opera House; the National Concert Halls of Thailand, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Korea; and in December 2007 will give his New York debut in Carnegie Hall. Throughout each year, he also performs as both soloist and conductor—often conducting from the keyboard—with orchestras such as the Thai Chamber Orchestra, the Adelaide Chamber and Arts Orchestras, the Melbourne Pro Arte, and the Darwin and City of Fremantle Symphony Orchestras. His repertoire of concertos ranges widely from Mozart to Rachmaninov, Brahms to Malcolm Williamson. He has recorded concertos by Tchaikovsky and Schumann for CD with the West Australian Symphony Orchestra.

After distinguishing himself in studies in Adelaide, he travelled to Europe for short study periods with world-renowned pianists—Murray Perahia in London, and Paul Badura-Skoda in Vienna. He records and broadcasts frequently for the ABC's National FM Radio, and Hong Kong Radio 4.

His five-program recital series in 2006 of the complete piano sonatas of Mozart, during the 250th anniversary of Mozart's birth, confirmed Mr. Sullivan's reputation as a major interpreter of the music. One of the only pianists in the world who plays the entire piano works of Mozart, he continues to research, perform and record rarely played or published works by Mozart. His recordings of the complete sonatas will be released internationally on CD this year on ABC Classics.

In 1997, he celebrated with the rest of the music world in the centenary of the death of Johannes Brahms. Performing a five-concert series of all-Brahms recitals—which included all three piano sonatas, many of the solo variations and miscellaneous works, plus chamber and two-piano works—all five concerts were broadcast over live national FM radio. Critic Roger Knight wrote "Throughout, the playing was marked by a singular degree of coherence, continuity, and lucidity which underpinned Mr. Sullivan's well-honed skills as a colourist," while Raymond Chapman-Smith wrote "...in every phrase, Sullivan's impassioned and deeply considered approach to music is, in every way worthy of attention and devotion...engrossing, fully engaging the listener in his concentrated and complex interpretations that sought the very essence of the music."

In his travels around the world, Mr. Sullivan, as a chamber player, has performed with members of the Berlin, Vienna, and London Philharmonic Orchestras; Munich Chamber Orchestra; Medici String Quartet; and Australians Jane Peters, Georg Pedersen, Paul Wright (The Ensemble of the Classical Era), and Michael Goldschlager (Macquarie Trio).

In addition, Mr. Sullivan is a distinguished and enthusiastic teacher, whose teaching positions and residencies include the Seoul Art School in Korea; Chiao Tung University in Taiwan; Hanoi Conservatory in Vietnam; The Hong Kong Institute of Education; TAFE in South Australia; University of Western Australia; the Western Australian Academy of Music; Charles Darwin University; the Victorian College of the Arts; and the Elder School of Music. He has also lectured at London's Royal Academy of Music and the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Dance, and has given his Mozart lecture-recital at Oxford University. Moreover, for three years he reviewed for the London-published International Journal for Music Education, which enjoys a readership of some 50 countries.

Bösendorfer 290
S
saxguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Sorry, double post.

Bösendorfer 290
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have known Alan for years saxguy - and really enjoyed seeing him play in your home.

I have never heard Gil play live, but I have heard of him through Alan and I am so sorry that I cannot attend.

There aren't many places that can accomodate a Bosendorfer Imperial and have it actually sound well in the space. I highly recommend ANYONE WHO IS ABLE to attend. Saxguy is a wonderful host and the piano ought to perform beautifully.

Have fun. I will be with you in spirit! thumb

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Everyone raved about the last gathering/recital at saxguy's place.
If you have the opportunity, by all means go (and take pictures for us).

I'm going to make it to one of your gatherings yet George.

Here's some pictures and posts from the last time he invited the PW members (check out that gorgeous piano, and that room!)
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/17604.html

[Linked Image]

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

S
saxguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It should be a great evening. So far we have a few people coming, but there's always room for more. Gil's program is as follows:

Beethoven: Sonata No. 32 in C Minor, Op. 111
Chopin: Polonaise in F-sharp Minor, Op. 44
Polonaise in A Major, Op. 40, No.1 ("Military")
Julian Cochran: Mazurka
Miriam Hyde: Brownhill Creek in Spring
Valley of Rocks
Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6
Mozart: Variations on Les hommes pieusement (Unser dummer Pöbel meint) from Gluck's La rencontre imprévue, K.455

We should be starting at around 8pm.

Bösendorfer 290
S
saxguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Update - we're starting at 7:30.

Bösendorfer 290
Are we still on for tonight?

"Applaud friends, the comedy is over." --Ludwig van Beethoven on his deathbed.
August Förster 190 Artcase
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Wish I were able to attend this event.

Please...

Those attending...could you take some pics and share your thoughts on this event?

One day, Saxguy, you might find me knocking on your front door!!!

LL

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Just got back. Firstly, many, many thanks to saxguy for the hospitality. What an evening!

I sat maybe about 4 ft. from the lid (on half stick), and was just blown away. If I'm to go on any more events like these, I need to start watching my cholesterol level, and probably blood pressure, too. Those who say Bosies are not as powerful as some others need to hear Mr. Sullivan play the LvB Op.111 on this incredible beast!

Fishline
Wow! What an evening. Thanks again to our gracious host, George.

For those of us that attended, I think we can all agree that it was a very, very special evening. Mr. Sullivan is a very gifted pianist. Of all the many pianists I have heard throughout my life, Mr. Sullivan can be compared the greatest of these.

His interpretations of Beethoven's Sonata No 32 were spot on. Full of passion with moments of pure tenderness and moments of anger. Of course, the Bosie was up to the task.

Mr. Sullivan final piece, Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6, was intense and impassioned as well and gave way to his second standing ovation. As Mr. Sullivan stated before the piece, it is quite the crowd pleaser!

Rich G, you missed something very special. Next, time, drop everything and run to George's house. wink

Unfortunately, I didn't see anyone taking pictures. So, I think this event will be forever etched into our memories.

S
saxguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks to everyone who attended - it's always nice to meet new people. We had a total of about 45 people there. Bill gets the award for traveller of the night - coming all the way from Connecticut.

The program was superb. I agree with Doug that Gil is up there with the best. I would recommend that anyone who is close to Carnegie Hall check out Gil's performance tomorrow night.

We have another event scheduled for March 1st with Brenna Berman. She will be playing her Carnegie Hall debut the following week. Hope to see more PW people there.

BTW, I am going to see if Gil can come back again next year. I cannot stress enough that if we do it would be worth the trip.

Bösendorfer 290
J
J
Glad to hear the evening went so well.
I spent all day Friday preparing his piano for Carnegie Hall. Tomorrow morning it will be moved to the hall and I'll do the final voicing and tuning there.

He is playing a Sauter 275. I believe this is the 1st time for Sauter for a New York performance. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Jerry Cohen, RPT
Piano Craftsman offering, concert tuning, voicing, regulating, rebuilding.
Serving South Florida area.
S
saxguy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Jerry, what were your impressions of the Carnegie Hall performance?

Bösendorfer 290
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I'm only 20 mins away, but had to work. Must see that piano some day...

I'm marking March 1st on my calendar! laugh

Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius

Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life. ~Jean Paul Richter
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
saxguy... this is an outstanding invitation you present to members. thumb

Perhaps Lilylady and I can make a road trip together for the next performance. Any other locals interested????

We could pick up Mr Pianoworld along the way! wink

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Terrytunes:
saxguy... this is an outstanding invitation you present to members. thumb

Perhaps Lilylady and I can make a road trip together for the next performance. Any other locals interested????

Wow, I can't remember the last time I had two chicks pick me up wink Count me in.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Did anyone attend the Carnegie Hall performance?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Piano World:
Originally posted by Terrytunes:
[b]

Perhaps Lilylady and I can make a road trip together for the next performance.
Wow, I can't remember the last time I had two chicks pick me up wink Count me in. [/b]
Well Mr PW, after that lobsterman pic you shared, how could we possibly leave you behind?

BTW, if we travel in TT's SUV, there's room for another. My cargominivan is a twoseater!

And Saxguy...how much room is there under that piano for sleeping bags? LOL!!!

LL

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission