2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
To those of you who have read my 1st post: "Confusion Reigns", I continue with this separate question:

I have narrowed my decision to a MH A (26.5K) or an Estonia 168 (22K). Very different pianos, I acknowledge, but both a huge step up from my 1927 Knabe with pin block, damper, and soundboard problems.

The MH will come with two tunings and a voicing in my home. The Estonia will be prepped by the out-of-state dealer, with one subsequent tuning.

My query to you is: what questions should I ask the Estonia dealer (again, out-of-state, with the piano having never been seen or played by me)?

Also, a purely subjective question: as an intermediate adult pianist with a predeliction for Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Brahms, etc., which piano do you think best fits my needs?

One final thought--I have played only one Estonia, an out-of-tune 168, but the accolades for the 168 have me dazzled. Any caveats?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
dandy randy,

While these are two very nice pianos, I would never buy a piano of any brand without playing it myself. Ever. What is dazzling to one person may be less so to another. There is individual variation in all pianos, and these are no exception. The question I'd ask is "when can I try it out?" wink

Sophia

The Mason has a more complex bass with less clear primary tone than the Estonia's that I have played. Some like the bass in one brand better than the other. Also the Estonia's that I played had very long sustain which made the chords become confused, too complex for my taste. However other people prefer the pianos with the most sustain. Chopin might sound best on an Estonia and Rach might sound best on a Mason. You have to play these pianos carefully and decide which you like best.

Master of Music, School Teacher, Church Musician- See "Our Adventure to a New grand" thread... http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/18212.html
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
you know,

i bought a 168 sight unseen,having only very briefly played a 190.

i am the most ecstatic of owners. they are wonderful different pianos. I'd take a trip and go play it first.

I also would have bought a Mason and Hamlin A sight unseen.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
you know,

i bought a 168 sight unseen,having only very briefly played a 190.

i am the most ecstatic of owners. they are wonderful different pianos. I'd take a trip and go play it first.

I also would have bought a Mason and Hamlin A sight unseen.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Apple:

You can say that again!!!

Oh!

You already did!

laugh

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Both the pianos you mention are great. By way of personal preference, I love Chopin's music. One of the reasons I love his music is the fabulous use he makes of the bass range of the piano. For this reason, I would go for the Mason--you cannot beat their basses, and it will sound gorgeous. Overall, the reason I love my Mason so much is the amazing bass. Schubert is incredible on it. But then Mozart sounds terrific, and Beethoven, and . . . . .My piano is only bounded by the stark limitations of the person who plays on it.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Owning both a Mason and an Estonia, I can highly recommend either. I think Jordang's descriptions are quite accurate. For more "growl", resonance and "darkness", I would choose the Mason. For more "sparkle" and TONS of sustain, the Estonia would reign. As far as buying sight unseen, I would make a quick trip out to the dealer you are contemplating and spend a day with the Estonia. This is a long term committment you are making, and should not be taken lightly.

Piano Technician/Tuner
N
N
As a general rule, don't be "dazzled" by the PW "accolades" for anything, perhaps especially Estonia since it tends to be over-accoladed by some enthusiastic owners and dealers. One could probably argue the same for M&H though.

Play each a bunch. I love Chopin and Rach too, and have a hunch you'll gravitate to the M&H. Know the Funeral March? Bang through that heavy transition and into the singing middle section. Personally, I feel the Estonia holds something back on each. Don't get me wrong. It's a fine instrument. You should know an instruments weaknesses before you can really love it...kinda like a spouse, huh?

-Nocty
Not in the piano business.
1906 Baldwin C rebuilt 2008
I would go for the Mason because I think the bass is much better, and the relative price is better. If the Estonia was $17k and money is a factor, the decision wouldn't be as obvious to me. The 168 is a great sounding piano, I only take issue with the bass.

As others have noted, the bass is really nice sounding on the A. I personally found the Mason A to be better in the fifth octave than the Mason AA. I think it is a great piano.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
The best piano is the one whose tonal palette you find most appealing, when playing the music that you like to play or listen to being played. Others can state which should sound best for a particular tune, but ultimately you've got to trust your ears and your emotional reaction.

If no clear winner emerges, just take a break from auditioning for a couple of weeks, then start again.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Caveat: I own an Estonia 190.

Having recently played 1 M&H A my impression is the Estonia has a more refined sound. It is entirely capable of jumping out of the box, but "The Stars and Stripes Forever" will absolutely rock on the M&H. Chopin and Rach may be more the domain of the Estonia, especially the quieter gentler pieces, because of the Estonia's sustaining (singing) quality.

More importantly for additional $$ to get the A you may be able to get close to a Estonia 190 and that difference continues to astound. The 190 is a lot more instrument than the 168. Mine is as much piano as I'll ever want.

Finally, I'll agree with everyone else in that you have to play them and hear them. It's unlikely our tastes are exactly the same. You want to buy a piano you'll love for the foreseeable future. Good luck.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Dandy Randy,

We have similar tastes in piano. I have also focused my interest down to Estonia and M&H. I have scheduled a visit to Allegro Pianos (Stamford, CT) where I will have the opportunity to play both side by side. I'll let you know next week how it went!

OP Offline
Thanks to all of your for your advice. I found it thoughtful and helpful. Especially because something that seems fairly rare on this forum occured: a consensus! In this case that a specific piano should be played before a decision is made.

I envy you, Piquagirl, in having the opportunity to play the 168 and the A side by side. I look forward to reading your report.

Dear dandy randy,
Both pianos are fine instruments, I'd go for the Estonia because their quality is excellent, no compromise in the way they are built or the parts.( as long as you trust the dealer out of state and the piano will be prepped). I am sure the issue of one or two free tunings and in home voicing can be negotiated with the out of state dealer if he wants to sell you the piano. The price seems right and I guess you save on the sales tax. I traded my Estonia for a Fazioli a year ago and was very happy with it. You could always take a trip to see the piano once it is ready, but I don't think you are taking a big chance. If the place you are buying from has a good reputation, they should make sure you are happy with your purchase.
Good luck.

Dandy Randy,

I had a nice visit to Allegro Pianos. Ori once again shared a small portion of his vast piano knowledge with me and I left feeling well informed. After having visited M&H for the tour, I fell in love with them and could not wait to compare an A to Estonia's 190. Well......there are some differences. The first thing one notices is the differences in the finishes. The M&H polished ebony finish is very wavy - it actually reminded me of antique glass. The Estonia has a much better ebony polish finish and their wood grain pianos are matched beautifully. If cosmetics are an important factor for you, then Estonia is the way to go. As far as sound goes, it's an individual preference. I really liked the M&H A my daughter and I had a chance to play, but in a side by side comparison to the Estonia, I prefered the Estonia's clearer bass. I also preferred Estonia's touch. For me, Estonia is the way to go. Only you can decide which piano "sings" to you. If you have any questions, you can PM me.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
DR,
Where are you located in NM? How far are the stores which carry the Estonia and M-H? I, too, agree that you must go and play before any decision should be made.

RickG
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
You better play one before buying.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Dandy,

You are talking about spending +20K! Ya gotta play the instruments before ya open yer checkbook.

If you had played lots of M&H and lots of Estonias, then you might consider an out-of-state purchase, based on the general charactistics of the pianos.

I don't know what literature you have under your fingers. For me, and only me, digging into the big Brahms or Rach, I would go with the Mason. I like the bite and color. For Chopin Nocturnes, I would tend toward the Estonia. The same might be true for the Brahms' Ballads (some) and Nocturnes. For the Etudes and other substantial Chopin, then I would rather attack the Mason.

Don't buy an Estonia because it is well thought of at this forum, and believe me, I am one who loves their pianos, but, it is your ear, technique, and sensibilities which must make the decision.

Marty in Minnesota
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dandy,
While I have an Estonia 190, I cannot stress enough what other posters have said. PLAY THE PIANO FIRST BEFORE BUYING! I have played an entire room full of M&H's as well as Estonias, and each piano is different. You can line up 5 Estonias side by side (same for M&H), and each is unique (like most other pianos). I have played Estonias that I didn't like at all. Not that they were bad pianos, just that it either had a slightly darker sound or some other characteristic that I didn't find appealing.

Since you're prepared to spend over 20 grand, it's worth the trip to play any piano before buying.

Either way, they're both great pianos. Find the one that sings to you.

Good luck,
Roger

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Estonia 190 - Serial # 6561
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission