Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (AZNpiano, AndrewJCW, Bachus, ahoffmann, Anticlock, 15 invisible), 946 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#274117 - 11/11/07 10:38 AM Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Dallas Dilemma Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I'm considering purchasing a 6'2"/6'3" Grand. I have enjoy the action and the tone of the both pianos. After visiting the Steinway store, I was given a lot of information of why I should choose a new Steinway or a Steinway restored Steinway over all others including Schimmel. Schimmel sounds a bit brighter than the Steinway but I may not be appreciating the true quality of either instrument.

I can purchase a 2 year old Schimmel for 40% of the price of a new Steinway. Warranties are not transferrable. I am far from an overly accomplished pianist but do appreciate quality. Would you help me made an educated decision?

Many thanks,
Indecisive in Dallas

Hailun / Pearl River Pianos

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#274118 - 11/11/07 10:49 AM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Dale Fox Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nor California Sacramento area
Both are quality unstruments. Either can be voiced brighter or mellower to suit your taste. One will resell for more if you choose to do so in the future. However, that one will cost you better than twice as much in the first place.

Both pianos come with good actions, though the Schimmell may be more consistently regulated as is from the factory.

The polyester finish on the Schimmell will hold up FAR better than the lacquer on the Steinway. Either piano should last about as long with proper maintainence and environmental control

Which do you like better?

#274119 - 11/11/07 12:17 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
terminaldegree Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
They are both fine pianos, and they both should sound and feel quite different from each other.

I would largely ignore any of the marketing hype, and trust what an independent technician [whom you should hire to inspect any used instrument, or new steinway for that matter IMO] has to say.

For many educated consumers, the price premium for a new Steinway is so out of touch with reality that we can't help but try the many other top-tier pianos from around the world which are available for tens of thousands less, but are equally capable pianos. For others, the particular sound, action, or prestige of the Steinway name is worth spending all that extra money.

At least you live in a large market where you have more than just these two choices, dealer-wise.

#274120 - 11/11/07 12:32 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
If the difference between the Steinway and the Schimmel is not enough to be the deciding factor for you, then I suggest looking at much less expensive brands.

#274121 - 11/11/07 12:33 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
WILLIAM C. HAUGHT Offline

Loc: WHEELING, WV
Buy the Schimmel. It will able to be voiced and regulated to satisfy you and the quality of workmanship in the Schimmel is supreme.

Respectfully,
WILLIAM C. HAUGHT, President/CEO, TMU, Inc. a National Marketing Company servicing the piano, furniture and floor covering industry. Retired President of Broadway Piano Company of Manhattan. 30 + years experience in retail sales and management.

#274122 - 11/11/07 12:37 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
Oh, and if a salesperson tells you that a piano can be voiced to your satisfaction, you should not believe it.

#274123 - 11/11/07 02:42 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Coast
Both are world class pianos. S&S is the icon of the domestic camp (U.S.) in tone. Schimmel is indicative of the European camp in tone. The new Schimmel scales are very robust and powerful for each size. The Euro sound will be charastically "clearer" IMO than the domestic sound. I don't hear "brighter" just more clarity and power.
S&S accelerated action will deliver a decidedly different feel than the Renner in the Schimmel.
They will always feel and sound different although voicing and regulation can bring them closer together.

#274124 - 11/11/07 02:53 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Jennifer Flinn Offline

Dear Dallas Dilemma,
I'm curious how old the Steinways are that you are comparing to a two-year-old Schimmel. IMO pianos do not get better with age. I would also be a little wary of a dealer telling you that they have Steinway restore their Steinways. Often, a dealer will have a local restorer recondition/build their Steinways with Steinway parts. At least on the West Coast, very few dealers I know of actually have Steinway rebuild their pianos. Have an independent tech inspect both. I believe Schimmel (although you may consider me biased because I work for a Schimmel dealer) is a wonderful value. (We sell used Steinways, too.) If you ignore the brand names and prices, which piano do you prefer the touch and tone of?

#274125 - 11/11/07 03:32 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Prospero Offline

If you are having trouble deciding which piano you like better, then without a doubt the Schimmel is the better choice for you.

Spending all that money can be justified only if you can easily identify a much richer sound and greater possibilities for expression in the Steinway. Otherwise you are wasting the dough and are likely to experience buyers' remorse.

Two years is such a tiny blink in the life of high-class pianos that it makes no difference. With respect to age, you have two peas in a pod. If anything, the Schimmel is probably past the uncomfortable "breaking-in" stage (squeaks, rattles, stuck keys) that new piano owners routinely must endure.

Schimmels are great pianos in their own right, with first-class components and plenty of flexibility in how they can be voiced and regulated. They are high-class.

Schimmels usually produce an extremely clear tone that is super-easy to understand and appreciate. It is great tone, ultra-high quality.

Steinways usually have a rich tone that allows the pianist to achieve subtly different effects, or 'colors,' depending on subtle differences in how you touch the keys as you play. That is why classical pianists love Steinways. It takes time and patience to train your ear to begin to hear and appreciate such subtle effects--and most people never do--and some people finally hear them and then wonder what all the fuss is about.

Incidentally your Schimmel has a Renner action which many consider superior to the Steinway accelerated action. I own a Steinway model A grand. I had a Renner action installed. I like it much better now.

Of course other people like the Steinway action better than the Renner. It is a matter of taste.

It sounds as if your taste will allow you to save money. Count yourself lucky! It's a blessing.

(Those salesmen who are bending over backwards trying to give you reasons to buy the much more expensive piano might have their larger commission in mind rather than your best interest.)

Just my two cents.

#274126 - 11/11/07 05:07 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Steve Ramirez Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: El Cajon, California
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dallas Dilemma:
I can purchase a 2 year old Schimmel for 40% of the price of a new Steinway.

I am far from an overly accomplished pianist but do appreciate quality.[/b]
The price issue would settle it for me. Add that to the fact that your ability as a pianist probably makes it impossible for you to detect the expressive limitations of either piano.

People approach the purchase of a grand piano as if it were a once in a lifetime event. I guess it is for most people but it doesn't have to be, especially if you devote years of time and effort to learning this instrument and develop a better idea of what you want from a piano.

#274127 - 11/11/07 06:35 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
Steinway and Schimmel are both quality high end pianos.Whether the new Steinway is worth 40% more than the preowned Schimmel is your call,personal subjective assessment and the finances at hand.
I will say this much, a remanufactured A-II or
A-III by a reputable rebuilder for the same $ as the Schimmel seems like a no brainer to me. I get individuals that trade in preowned Schimmels toward rebuilt Steinways.Though most were of 20 year old vintage. The newer scale design of recent(Schimmel) may be a great improvement. Does this two year old Schimmel fall into this category ?
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#274128 - 11/11/07 07:36 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Starting Over Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Both instruments are high quality and you would probably be happy with either. Don't spend too much time playing the Steinways though. Once you hear the difference, you hear it.

Then you have a problem...

#274129 - 11/12/07 12:29 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
88obsession Offline

Loc: Denver
I haven't seen you mention exactly how much you're looking to spend. Not only are Schimmels less expensive to begin with, you can also deal more on a Schimmel. I have a new Schimmel 213T. I played several Steinway Bs, loved some, didn't others. I live in Denver but travel quite a bit and visited stores in several locations. I found a rebuilt Steinway B in New York that I fell in love with but they wanted almost as much for it as a new one. The Schimmel in NY listed for $54,000 and he made me an offer of $49,000. I ended up buying mine here in Colorado for $40k, off a list of $47k and they gave me another $7k for a 10 year old Weber 6' grand. I'm very happy with it, holds a tuning beautifully, it is brighter than the Steinway but I like that. It's all a matter of taste and preference and of course budget is usually an issue. If it weren't, I would probably have a 9' Bechstein.

#274130 - 11/12/07 01:31 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Dallas Dilemma Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 88obsession:
I haven't seen you mention exactly how much you're looking to spend. Not only are Schimmels less expensive to begin with, you can also deal more on a Schimmel. I have a new Schimmel 213T. I played several Steinway Bs, loved some, didn't others. I live in Denver but travel quite a bit and visited stores in several locations. I found a rebuilt Steinway B in New York that I fell in love with but they wanted almost as much for it as a new one. The Schimmel in NY listed for $54,000 and he made me an offer of $49,000. I ended up buying mine here in Colorado for $40k, off a list of $47k and they gave me another $7k for a 10 year old Weber 6' grand. I'm very happy with it, holds a tuning beautifully, it is brighter than the Steinway but I like that. It's all a matter of taste and preference and of course budget is usually an issue. If it weren't, I would probably have a 9' Bechstein. [/b]
Thanks for your input. I don't know the list on the 6'3" Schimmel but the one I'm looking at I believe is about 2 years old and I can get it in the mid 20's. I too think the Schimmel is brighter and would like to add a player to it so it's more than just furniture. A brand new one in Dallas I think is about $37,000.

#274131 - 11/12/07 02:53 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
 Quote:
Steinways usually have a rich tone that allows the pianist to achieve subtly different effects, or 'colors,' depending on subtle differences in how you touch the keys as you play.
You know, I've heard that a lot, but I've never experienced it. Sure, Steinway is a fine piano with certain characteristics, but I find this line of argument singularly unpersuasive absent a very good scientific explanation (which is never forthcoming).

Also, the Schimmel is not representative of Europe. That too is an oft-pedaled (pun intended) distinction that is not at all clear. The different European makers have their own sounds and Schimmel is not some representative stand-in.

DD,

A brand new 189T should sell for less than 37K. And what Steinway are you comparing it too (unless I missed that)? A 6'3" Steinway A sells new for over 50K.

#274132 - 11/12/07 03:13 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
schmickus Offline

Loc: Bonn, Germany
Quote: " I too think the Schimmel is brighter and would like to add a player to it so it's more than just furniture. "

Dallas Dilemma,

speaking candidly I don't like wonderful pianos with or without a player system spoken of as "furniture". My sense of humour ends here. If you want furniture producing music, get some fancy antiques and put a HiFi set in.

I don't understand your dilemma. Schimmel and Steinway sound completely different. Both have good actions. There is a price difference.
So if you don't care for a special type of sound what instead do you care for? Image? Price? Fancyness? Please express yourself.

Mason&Hamlin AA, 1908
Bl├╝thner 190, 6ft3, 1903
J.L. Duysen 195, 6ft6, 1897, (under construction)

#274133 - 11/12/07 03:25 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Secondo Offline

Loc: Seattle, Washington
FYI--I just got a couple quotes from a Tacoma, Wa dealer on Schimmel 189T - $32,000 and 182 - $27,000. I also did notice that there were a number of 182 crates with a label on them that said "MADE IN POLAND" and that the price list book that the sales rep had did not list the 182. From reading the forum, I surmised that the 182 may be previous stock. But the sales person said it was newer than her book, so it was not listed. (?) (which left me wondering . . . .)

#274134 - 11/12/07 05:32 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Dallas Dilemma Offline

Price, though an important factor is not my deciding factor. Appreciation for the instrument, the tone, the overall quality all weigh heavily. What I believe this forum will provide is unbiased opinions; opinions that I may not receive from commissioned sales people.

#274135 - 11/12/07 06:02 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
squonk Offline

Loc: California
Schimmel has two series, the Konzert series, which includes the 189T, and is their higher end, and the Classic series, which is mostly uprights but includes the 182, and I think does not have all the recent upgrades. Correct me, but some of the work on the Classic models are done in the Poland factory.

#274136 - 11/12/07 07:55 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Prospero Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
[QB] [QUOTE] Steinways usually have a rich tone that allows the pianist to achieve subtly different effects, or 'colors,' depending on subtle differences in how you touch the keys as you play.
Piano*Dad* Writes: "You know, I've heard that a lot, but I've never experienced it. Sure, Steinway is a fine piano with certain characteristics, but I find this line of argument singularly unpersuasive absent a very good scientific explanation (which is never forthcoming)."

Count yourself lucky. Since you don't hear the difference, you have no reason to shell out the bucks for Steinway prices.

In my experience someone like you probably hears the difference perfectly well but you do not realize that it is what all the fuss is about.

A patient, determined music teacher could probably help you identify the "colors" you are hearing.

From your posts I bet you would probably be one of those who would laugh over a fool like me who pays big bucks for such a subtle difference. \:\)

As for a "scientific explanation," well, I am tempted to say that is like asking for a scientific explanation for why Rembrandt paintings are better than a kindergartener's first efforts at the canvas. But we can say something more: first we can point to the scale designs.

Through trial and error, luck, inspiration, and probably plenty of skill, Steinway happened to hit upon some fabulous scale designs that are great for producing the color that many classical musicians value deeply. The scale designs are patented and cannot be duplicated by other piano makers at any price.

You could also point to the extremely heavy-duty construction materials and methods that produce the conditions necessary for the Steinway scale designs to produce such great color.

You could also start talking about special craftsmanship, developed again largely through trial-and-error, that teach Steinway builders which particular twists and turns and details produce better results.

I have heard people from the physics department try to give a "scientific explanation" for why a Stradivarius sounds so much better than other violins.

Frankly I never get much out of such efforts, except maybe yawns.

If they cannot hear the difference between a Stradivarius and other violins, I doubt quoting science will help them suddenly hear it. Ditto for a Steinway and other pianos.

If someone doubts the existence of the difference because he does not hear it, then I think he should save money and buy a cheaper piano.

I have discussed piano color literally with people from across the globe. We seem to understand each other extremely well.

If others think that when we discuss color, we are discussing some sort of non-existent illusion that lacks a "scientific explanation,' then, well, all I can say is this:

I love the illusion. Probably I will never tire of discussing the illusion with others who love the illusion as much as I do.

Vive la illusion!

Just my opinion.

[ADDENDUM: Of course other high-end piano brands also produce many magnificient colors. No doubt they also accomplish this through years of careful craftsmanship and etc. I am not saying that ONLY Steinway produces lots of color. I believe there is such a thing as differences in piano color, and it pleases me that there is; that is all.]

#274137 - 11/12/07 08:38 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
terminaldegree Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
 Quote:
Originally posted by Prospero:
Count yourself lucky. Since you don't hear the difference, you have no reason to shell out the bucks for Steinway prices.
A patient, determined music teacher could probably help you identify the "colors" you are hearing.

But we can say something more: first we can point to the scale designs. Through trial and error, luck, inspiration, and probably plenty of skill, Steinway happened to hit upon some fabulous scale designs that are great for producing the color that many classical musicians value deeply.
You could also point to the extremely heavy-duty construction materials and methods that produce the conditions necessary for the Steinway scale designs to produce such great color.
You could also start talking about special craftsmanship, developed again largely through trial-and-error, that teach Steinway builders which particular twists and turns and details produce better results.

I have discussed piano color literally with people from across the globe. We seem to understand each other extremely well.
[/b]
Okay, I believe in and even teach how to make different tone colors on the piano, but must admit that your response comes across more than a slight bit on the pompous side. Of course there is a scientific explanation, but the manner of producing such colors can be taught and explained in less-than-scientific ways.

Although the strong suit of a NY Steinway is its' ability to produce a wide variety of sounds [when set up correctly], the notion that no other piano is capable of this smacks of complete ignorance or a lack of technical ability on your part. The basic tonal characteristics of the other fine European and American brands are all unique and distinct. Some of these pianos are capable of making a quality of sound a Steinway cannot. To be honest, I prefer the action of many of these pianos to the Steinway as well [particularly in the non-concert grand sizes].

Vive diversity!

A fun little tangent, just in case you didn't read it 3 years ago:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.ht...agewanted=print

#274138 - 11/12/07 08:55 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
 Quote:
but must admit that your response comes across more than a slight bit on the pompous side
Ya think! \:D

Prospero,

That has to be one of the most patronizing answers I have seen in a long time. You assert all this magical color in Steinway that supposedly is unavailable in other brands, and offer no evidence other than your superior understanding of the ineffable quality of Steinway. Thanks. I have played this instrument for many years. I am perfectly capable of parsing what i hear and what i like. I like Steinway just fine. In fact, I think they hold up very well to lots of institutional use ...better than Kawai, for instance. But there is no magic in their color that a pianist can harness that makes them inherently superior to the different color that can be harnessed in, say a Bosendorfer or Fazioli, or any other top brand out there. There may be qualities that individuals may prefer, but that is an opinion, as you say.

#274139 - 11/12/07 09:35 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Prospero Offline

Quote: "the notion that no other piano is capable of this smacks of complete ignorance or a lack of technical ability on your part."

I have re-read my post. I never said that no other piano is capable of producing many different colors. I have never believed that, either.

#274140 - 11/12/07 09:57 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Prospero Offline

#274141 - 11/12/07 09:57 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Prospero Offline

Piano dad writes: "You assert all this magical color in Steinway that supposedly is unavailable in other brands..."

I asserted no such thing: I never said that other pianos cannot produce many different colors, including plenty of magical ones.

I love lots of pianos besides Steinway. One reason includes all the colors they produce. In fact just today on this website I congratulated someone for purchasing an Estonia and told them I think it is definitely in a league with Steinway and Mason. You can bet I would never have said that if I did not think Estonia is capable of producing many great colors.

As for finding me patronizing, well, that reaction certainly surprised me. I examined some of your posts, and directly as a result of being impressed with your remarks, I paid you special respect when I said that someone like you probably hears differences in piano color already.

Furthermore, I paid you more respect when I said that you would probably laugh at the kind of subtle differences that mean a lot to me--and just in case it was not absolutely crystal-clear that this remark did not imply any belligerence, I added one of those smiley faces next to it.

If that were not enough, I also used the self-mocking expression "a fool like me" in the sentence. It is tough to imagine a poorer choice of words for someone who is trying to be patronizing. It is amazing that anyone could interpret such a phrase as patronizing.

One reason why I am surprised at your reaction is that I interpreted your original statement to mean that you did not see differences in color between different pianos. I did not think you seriously believed that I was saying originally that Steinways (AND ONLY Steinways) produce many colors. I was saying that Steinways (like many other high-quality pianos) produce many colors.

Actually I suspect you are more angry about my remarks about scientific explanations. As for that, I do not know what to say. I have re-read my post, and I still do not read it in a patronizing way, probably because I did not intend it in a patronizing way.

Obviously you read it differently. To each his own. I am certainly not going to apologize for writing it. Nor am I going to apologize for whatever emotional reaction you had to it. I stand behind what I said one hundred per cent. I am satisfied that it is just fine the way it is.

#274142 - 11/12/07 10:01 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Prospero Offline

After a quick search of Piano World, I think I see what happened: some people on this site really have argued that Steinway and only Steinway produces great color. I had no idea there were people who believed that. Anyway, that may explain why some were quick to lump me in with them. Well, that is not me.

#274143 - 11/12/07 10:37 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Amy J Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO
Hi, Prospero.

Please don't think that's "the way it is" around here. My husband loved the Schimmel Konzert series, I thought it a bit bright. That being said, I only found 3 Steinways out of 24 that I liked and they were about $77k (B sized), one of which was rebuilt with only 85 keys. Those three, however, I liked better than the Schimmel, which still sounded good and felt good to play. It's up to your ear and your wallet. Is the difference worth the price difference? To me, it would not be.

I wish you the best and I hope you are happy, which ever decision you make.

Amy

#274144 - 11/12/07 10:56 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
SCCDoug Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Prospero, I think the other thing you should check out is the long and sometimes heated debates that have been held on this forum over the mechanics of a piano and how touch effects tone. There are some who believe that the way you touch a key can change the way the hammer strikes the string. I believe that is just silly - the only thing you can change is the velocity. Which is not to say that doesn't have an impact on tone, as does the miriad of other things the pianist has control over. But at its most basic there is nothing mechanically different from a Suzuki to a Steinway that would make the S&S any more able to break the laws of physics.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#274145 - 11/12/07 11:13 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Prospero Offline

Thanks for the heads up, SCCDoug. I am still relatively new to piano world.

I am relieved that nobody accused me of trying to break the laws of physics.

Again, thanks for the help.

#274146 - 11/12/07 11:48 PM Re: Schimmel Grand vs. Steinway Grand
Grane Offline

Loc: Greater Miami
Dallas Dilemma said...

Quote:
What I believe this forum will provide is unbiased opinions; opinions that I may not receive from commissioned sales people.

Aha!!! Were it only true. As you now know there are a few Steinway supporters and many more who seem to enjoy taking potshots when the thread presents itself.

Probably the major difference here is no on one this site will gain (financially) from your decision.

Since we aren't you and we have not played the pianos you are considering, only you with the courage of your convictions can make the optimal choice.

I've played only one Schimmel and it didn't move me. However, it's clear from the various responses that the Schimmel is a very decent instrument.

Believe Prospero and a few others said it best, it you don't discern a major difference, why would you purchase the more expensive piano? Further, since you intend to install a player, one might assume you or a family member may not play the piano that much -- so again the less expensive choice seems like the correct one for you.

Also as stated, it's not a lifetime decision. Should you get the bug and significantly improve your skills, perhaps then you might perceive an advantage with a different instrument.

Happy plunking.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland AirPerformer app problems
by lunobili
Today at 01:22 AM
Waterproof piano update
by Chuck Behm
Today at 01:08 AM
Kawai Digital CA51 - servicing
by FuzzyWuzzy
Today at 12:12 AM
original composition, opinion?
by pianistforever238
Today at 12:00 AM
Progressive Beat Speeds Tuned Aurally in One Pass!
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,175 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,816 Topics
2,430,748 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission