Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
131 registered (anamnesis, Anita Potter, amiller, AndreaS85, AllanH, ALEXANDER DYKER, 36 invisible), 1427 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#274342 - 07/17/05 08:19 PM Opinion on Kawai GE-30
Brian Hoang Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hello piano experts,

A local dealer said that he got a good deal going on for Kawai GE-30. The price is $8750. What do you think? is it really a good deal?

I tried to search for Kawai GE-30, but there's no post that talk about GE-30, and there are not many post about Kawai. I wonder why.

Is there a better deal or alternative that I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#274343 - 07/18/05 12:04 AM Re: Opinion on Kawai GE-30
Loki Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
There are posts that talk about kawai, but all the ones ive read talk about the rx series.

The GE-30 is a 5'5 piano. The one ive played on was very nice and had a good sound to it. You are gettin g a good deal on it, but make sure you like the piano before buying it.

Also, write down the serial number and you can look up online when it was made.

#274344 - 07/18/05 02:11 AM Re: Opinion on Kawai GE-30
Brian Hoang Offline

Thanks for your response. I played the piano and like it alot. I used to own an upright young chang, so going to grand Kawai is a huge upgrade. I didn't shop around alot, so I don't know if I could get a better piano for about the same price. That's why I search the forum hoping to find review that talk about the GE-30. I guess most people in this forum own very high end piano. My question still what kind of piano can you get at under $10K.

If someone owned Kawai piano before, I'd like to know their experience with it. Which model of Yamaha, baldwin, boston...should I compare Kawai GE-30 both interm of money, size, quality...

All comments are welcome

TIA!!!

#274345 - 07/18/05 06:53 AM Re: Opinion on Kawai GE-30
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
If you are in Seattle, you need to stop by Classical Grands. I don't know if they will have Kawai, but I can say that Alex Hernandez is a true gentleman and a very competent tech. His instruments will be in prime condition and you will learn from him.

You may even find a piano that speaks to you.

Good Luck in your search,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#274346 - 07/18/05 09:22 AM Re: Opinion on Kawai GE-30
CSG Offline

I would also recommend visiting Alex at Classical Grands too. Seattle should offer a wide range of choices for you.

#274347 - 07/18/05 10:21 AM Re: Opinion on Kawai GE-30
josfai Offline

Loc: US-MidWest
Brian, if you do a search for Kawai GE30 instead of GE-30 in this forum, you should find a few matches. I don't have any experience with GE30 but $8750 seems very low if this is brand new. When I was shopping for a sub 10K piano a couple of months ago, $8K was the price for a 5' GM10.

#274348 - 07/18/05 11:19 AM Re: Opinion on Kawai GE-30
Brian Hoang Offline

Guys, Thanks for your responses. I'll visit Classical Grands to meet Alex. Yes the one that he offer is brand new with carbon jack. I think I'm going to buy it. I have not own any other piano before beside the upright young chang, so I think I'm going to enjoy it for the budget range that I'm in. I come to play it a few times, and I like it alot. Though when I switch over to play an upright Yamaha which happen to sit next by, and I like it even more for the brighter sound and the touch. However, the bass is not as powerful. I think I shouldn't be comparing a grand to an upright ;\)

Thanks for everyone inputs. I hope to hear from other people who own Kawai and how they like it.

Brian

#274349 - 07/18/05 03:10 PM Re: Opinion on Kawai GE-30
Oleander Offline

Loc: Chicagoland, IL, USA
I used to own a 1987-88 (?) Kawai KG-2E (5'10") that I bought used in 2001. I liked the tone and enjoyed playing this piano for three years; it was a well-performing piano, and the only reason I sold it was because the action was too heavy and sluggish for me. I eventually had some carpal tunnel problems and wrist pain. My tech told me he could work on it, but it would be somewhat costly, and I was not "in love" with the piano, so I opted to sell rather than put money into it.

Overall I had a positive experience with my Kawai and would recommend them whole-heartedly. \:\)

#274350 - 07/18/05 05:39 PM Re: Opinion on Kawai GE-30
GreatLakes Offline

Loc: Originally the midwest, now th...
Brian,

From my recent shopping experience, that is an excellent price and I would feel very comfortable buying it if I were you. My mother is a piano teacher and has been teaching 25-35 students a week on a 6'1" Kawai grand for 37 years (not sure what the model was called back then). She lives in Michigan and has it tuned 1x/year -- absolutely no problems and it still plays like new! She loves it.

I have a new (2005) RX-2 (5'10"). It has a feel very similar to my mothers; but it's a bit quicker on the recovery after one strikes a note. Kawai tends to have a bit of a heavier action feel than many others, including compared to Yamaha. However, the GE-30 is a bit lighter in action than the RX-2 in my opinion. I think your purchase will be a good compromise on value. I don't think you'll find a much better deal for the quality you'll be getting in a NEW piano.

Pros: Good price, well-built and time-tested brand that shouldn't give you any problems for your whole life, pretty good bass, overall consistent and pleasing tone, predictable and consistent action, above average expression/dynamic control range, YOU LIKE IT!

Cons: Slightly heavier action than some other pianos might cause mild fatigue.

I'd say it's a winner! Enjoy and congratulations on a good piano and very fair deal.

GreatLakes

#274351 - 07/18/05 10:12 PM Re: Opinion on Kawai GE-30
mdsdurango Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Durango Colorado
Without doubt you SHOULD be comparing a grand to an upright. Unless you are a very proficient player and prone to extreme repititions, or just very particularly attached to the action of a grand you may find that many high end uprights actually sound better than a small grand. There are many on this forum who own an upright piano (me being one of them) who would not trade them for a small grand. A larger and wonderfull grand of course we would all prefer (I am not speaking for myself here and maybe I should) but a really good upright is nothing to be ashamed of! And they are generally less expensive. Come on upright owners - let's hear your opinions.

#274352 - 07/19/05 11:25 AM Re: Opinion on Kawai GE-30
Brian Hoang Offline

I think you're right mdsdurango. When come to sound and touch, it may not matter much of what type a piano is. I've owned an upright (young chang) before, and I like it alot for the touch. I just feel like the young chang piano that I have sound a bit too sharp. I've always wanted a baby grand for myself, and yesterday I've bought the GE-30. I think I'm going to like it. Thanks for the responses from everyone.

#274353 - 07/19/05 01:55 PM Re: Opinion on Kawai GE-30
Oleander Offline

Loc: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Congrats, Brian Hoang! You will love playing your new piano! \:\)

#274354 - 07/21/05 05:07 AM Re: Opinion on Kawai GE-30
BelleBelle Offline

Hi Brian,
just read your post. GE 30 was one of my first few considerations when I decided to get a baby grand. The price I was quoted was around S$19K. I settled for a C2 instead coz I ended up looking at pianos higher up. Ge 30 is a good piano but I find its sound a little too muffled for my liking but anyhow, I still think it's not bad. Another reason I didn't get it was coz it looked too short and I was warned against short pianos. But I do like the volume of it. Have fun with your piano! It's a good buy for that price range.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
circle of 5ths coaster
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Hal Leonard Teacher VIP
Hal Leonard Teacher VIP Your Source for Piano Music
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tonica Upright
by Hansrott
04/21/15 08:44 AM
Randy Potter in Philadelphia
by Rich Galassini
04/21/15 08:15 AM
Anyone know of good piano Summer camps in England?
by Pover
04/21/15 06:54 AM
Might have to switch from PC to Apple
by Keith D Kerman
04/21/15 06:33 AM
Websites with digital sheet music
by peterpianist85
04/21/15 05:43 AM
What's Hot!!
Trade Regrets: Gary Trafton - Piano Rep
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
78,977 Registered Members
44 Forums
163,403 Topics
2,398,148 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission