Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#27736 - 05/09/07 12:37 AM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Frank I tried to reply to your PM but your mailbox was full. \:\(

Whaaaaaa!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#27737 - 05/09/07 06:31 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
hotkeys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massapequa, NY
Let us know if another tour is planned in the future. I would like to take part in that...

- Mark

--------------------------------------------------
The ultimate joy of music is the joy of playing the piano...

#27738 - 05/11/07 07:29 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
Pegg Offline

Loc: Maryland
I am still planning to attend with one guest.
Peggy

#27739 - 05/12/07 12:39 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
I've waited years for an opportunity like this. Unfortunately, I'll be way out of town (Hawaii, nephew's wedding) on the 19th. Have a great time, take lots of pictures (but don't disturb those employees!), and please let us know when the next tour is planned.

#27740 - 05/15/07 06:49 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
Pegg Offline

Loc: Maryland
I will not be able to make the tour, that will leave two spots available if someone else wants to go. My job decided to have a mandatory meeting that I must attend.

Peggy

#27741 - 05/15/07 08:25 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westchester, NY
Peggy,
Sorry you won't be able to make it. Thank you for the notification. I'm sure there will be other tours.

As it turns out, I was contacted by member BWV846 who wishes to go. Also, LJC has asked to bring a friend. In that case, we have our 20.
Anyone else interested, can be on a back up list.

fingers

#27742 - 05/15/07 11:37 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
 Quote:
Hmmm.. I thought your screen name sounded familiar!! Nice to see you hangin' out here! [/QB]
Hi Terry! Thanks for the message. Not to hijack the thread, but I've been flat-out busy in the real world for a couple of years. Had to cut down on PW--too addictive for me! I've missed you all.

Tour people: I'm not sure how I'm coming, may drive down from Massachusetts and stay with relatives on Long Island the night before or may take Amtrak into Penn Station in the morning. Would be willing to carpool if that works out for anybody.

#27743 - 05/16/07 10:54 AM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
atropos Offline

Loc: New York
Is 20 the max? I'd really like to see this... what do I need to do?

#27744 - 05/23/07 10:55 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I am not able to go after all.

Please cross Kenny off the list.

My friend Bernard is still going so keep his place.

Thanks
Kenny

#27745 - 05/24/07 07:48 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

atropos,

If you would like to go, Kenny's spot is available.

fingers

#27746 - 05/24/07 07:50 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
atropos Offline

I'll be there... thank you.

#27747 - 05/26/07 08:38 AM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

You are most welcome,

fingers

#27748 - 06/08/07 04:36 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY-Madrid-Newfoundland (rhymes...
Laura's husband will not be going because he has changed his travel plans.

That leaves one more space available.

#27749 - 06/08/07 04:42 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY-Madrid-Newfoundland (rhymes...
oops. deleted.

#27750 - 06/08/07 08:01 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EHpianist:
Laura's husband will not be going because he has changed his travel plans.

That leaves one more space available. [/b]
CTPianotech notified me that he would like to go. He will fill in for Laura's husband. Oh wait!... That didn't come out right. \:D

fingers

#27751 - 06/08/07 08:14 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
CTPianotech Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CT
Ritmuller/Pearl River

#27752 - 06/14/07 10:11 AM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
BethJ Offline

Loc: South Orange, NJ
I'd love to be added to the waiting list for this tour . . .

Beth Tucker

#27753 - 06/15/07 05:33 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
reliv4all Offline

Loc: New England
Hi fingers,

Something came up and we will not be able to make the tour on Tuesday. So sorry for the last minute change. At least this will open up 4 spots for people who are in the waiting list.

For those going, kindly post a lot of pictures. ;-)

#27754 - 06/15/07 09:09 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
billz Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Well - if there's still space, I'd like to attend also. Please advise. Thanks.

#27755 - 06/16/07 06:25 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

It looks like BethJ and billz are in.

The date is TUESDAY JUNE 19th.

The time is 9 AM SHARP.

The place is The Steinway FACTORY in QUEENS. (Not Steinway Hall in Manhattan)

fingers

#27756 - 06/16/07 10:19 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
BethJ Offline

Loc: South Orange, NJ
Great!

I'll be there.

Beth

#27757 - 06/17/07 06:32 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
Jim Frazee Offline

Loc: Westchester County, New York
Fingers et all,

Unfortunately, I cannot attend Tuesday, June 19 session at Steinway because, following back surgery, I've had a small stroke. Please someone take this spot and I'll take my chances at a later date when I'm up to it. Sorry for all of this but glad than someone can enjoy.

#27758 - 06/17/07 10:59 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jim,
I'm sure I speak for all members of PW when I wish you a speedy recovery.

fingers

#27759 - 06/18/07 06:28 AM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I am also sorry to report that due to an extreme personal emergency situation I will not be able to attend.
My sincerest apologies for the late notice.

#27760 - 06/18/07 05:55 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
atropos Offline

whoohoo... see you folks in the morning!!

Jim, hope you recover soon!

#27761 - 06/19/07 04:49 PM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Sorry for the problems that have come up for those that are not able to attend. Please be well.

For those attending...

We are eagerly awaiting your notes and pics.

LL

#27762 - 06/20/07 06:47 AM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
CTPianotech Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CT
Thanks to all who helped put this tour together!

From beginning to end, it really fascinating to watch all the processes taking place. (not to mention the TOOLS!)

Here's a few shots in a very[/b] warm room where recently glued rims were curing:

And here's head honcho of PianoWorld Frank B, with the head of Steinway, Mr Bruce Stevens:

I believe there are a couple group photos that others took---I am looking forward to seeing those. It was great meeting so many of you!
Ritmuller/Pearl River

#27763 - 06/20/07 09:35 AM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
Piano World Online   blank

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (originally N...
First, I'd also like to thank fingers for pulling this tour together for us, well done.

It was great meeting members I've not met before. I figure I've only got about 23,300 to go :-o

I can tell you the young ladies from Duo Scarbó are as lovely in person as they appear from their pictures and posts.

Toward the end of the tour we went by a room where customers/artist can try out a number of finished pianos. I was hoping we would get to go in, planning on talking Elena & Laura into playing :-) Unfortunately the room was in use at the time.

But I digress.

We started the tour in the office area. My two passengers (CTpianotech and billz) and I arrived about 15 minutes late, not bad for having left at 5:30 a.m.
When we walked into the room, our tour guide for the day was wrapping up his briefing.

Keith Keeler is a sales representative at Steinway Hall in NY. He's obviously very knowledgeable about Steinway pianos, and proud of the company he works for. If you're ever in the area, do yourself a favor and visit Steinway Hall, and while you're there, say hi to Keith.

The tour was fascinating although it was nearly impossible to hear Keith over the noise of a very busy factory. A small suggestion to Steinway: Consider investing in a wireless headphone setup for conducting the tours (like some other factory tours use).

When we started the tour, we walked past the lumber yard. It looked like they had enough wood to build an entire town. As Keith explained it, the wood is all carefully selected by (forgot his name) from various places around the world, and shipped to NY.

Next we walked past the "old" Steinway factory, built in the 1800's. You could almost feel the history emanating from the building.
They now use this building for the restoration of vintage Steinways.

Then, it was on into the factory itself.
My first impression? ... Big!
And the more we walked, the more my impression was reinforced. It seems to go on forever.

Lots of machinery, some looking very old, and many looking very modern. And lots of people busy making Steinway pianos.

Unfortunately, they don't allow a lot of picture taking so it is hard to recreate the actual experience we had on the tour.
However you can get a taste of what we saw by checking out the factory tour on the Steinway web site ... http://www.steinway.com/factory/tour.shtml

A few things that did stick out in my mind:
Steinway likes to have full control over every facet of the process.

~ They make their own (spruce) soundboards, and in fact have workers who spend their days picking out matched pieces of spruce to be made into soundboards.

~ They also make all their own action parts, an interesting part of the tour (and the only place I saw huge signs saying "No Cameras Allowed".

~ They have a lot of specialized machinery, including one that is the size of a house trailer that does nothing but glue veneer to the wood.

~ The hammer rail has a solid maple dowel inserted so the mounting screws have something solid and stable to bite into.

~ There are a LOT of pianos in various stages of production at any given time. I mean a lot!

~ For the few parts Steinway isn't making themselves, they bought the company that is (which I guess means they are making the parts:-). I believe the plates are one example (again, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

~ If I remember correctly, production runs at an average of 10 finished pianos a day (50 per week), with the factory running 48 weeks a year (someone feel free to correct me if I got that wrong).

Ok, enough for now. Hopefully some of the other attendees will post their thoughts and pictures. My pictures are still inside a cheap disposable camera, I'll have them up in a couple of days.

My thanks to Bruce Stevens, President & CEO of Steinway Pianos for taking the time to do a meet and greet with us. As I understand it, Bruce is not typically in the factory, but made it a point to be there to meet the Piano World forums folks, and he hung around while we took pictures (at our insistence).
He even tried to help with the food setup (stick to making pianos Bruce).

And finally, thank you to everyone at Steinway for inviting us into your home and making us feel welcomed.
I hope we get the opportunity to take other members on the tour soon.

- Frank Baxter
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!

#27764 - 06/20/07 09:53 AM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Frank,

Really Great Post!!! The only thing I can say is thank you to Keith and Steinway, to all who came from near and far, and to Frank and Piano World.

Same time next year?

fingers

#27765 - 06/20/07 11:55 AM Re: NEW THREAD: S&S FACTORY TOUR IN JUNE - Now with Picts & Reviews!
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Thanks, Frank, for the wonderful summary and I'd love to take that tour! (maybe next year). Frank, you're correct: Steinway bought Kelly, the plate maker (I believe it's the only piano plate foundry in the US) and also Kluge, the keyboard maker that supplies these parts for Steinways.

Sounds like a great time and it's wonderful that Bruce was there to welcome our PW group!

Sophia

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
134 registered (Almaviva, 36251, anrpiano, 49 invisible), 1511 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74270 Members
42 Forums
153626 Topics
2251650 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Paris Atelier
by Beemer
20 minutes 9 seconds ago
Lubricious Whippen Cushions
by Grotriman
28 minutes 37 seconds ago
Always respect your piano
by Beemer
31 minutes 48 seconds ago
Hello + buying my first piano (long post)
by Ben_NZ
46 minutes 22 seconds ago
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
Today at 04:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission