2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#278511 01/28/09 09:23 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Frank,

Hope you've rested up from your grueling whirlwind NAMM trip. smile

I've personally heard several Kawai's MPAs say the same thing that Jurgen just said regarding the "grounding effects." No rubber casters, no caster cups for stage and/or performing.

Best,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
#278512 01/28/09 09:35 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Brings up another question. If rubber tracks have a detrimental effect on onstage sound, why do the NY Steinway C&A instruments have them? confused

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
#278513 01/28/09 10:02 PM
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bear 1:
Hey Frank,

Hope you've rested up from your grueling whirlwind NAMM trip. smile

I've personally heard several Kawai's MPAs say the same thing that Jurgen just said regarding the "grounding effects." No rubber casters, no caster cups for stage and/or performing.

Best,

Bear
Thanks Bear, it was a great trip.

I'm still not convinced about the "grounding effects" though. Sounds more psychological than factual to me. I'm guessing a 1500lb piano is already pretty well grounded, and most of the sound projection is via the soundboard. Yes/no?

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

#278514 01/28/09 10:06 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Personally I would very much doubt that companies building world class pianos like Hamburg Steinways and Sauters do would dare to impede the sound of their pianos by anything, least of all a caster.

In fact, the alternative putting these ugly stage trucks underneath concert grands appears to be far less attractive to me.

In case of doubt or disagreement, anybody can always shout at the pianist during a concert:

"Hey man, take your rubber off!!"

Norbert laugh

#278515 01/28/09 11:53 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Piano World:
[b]
Thanks Bear, it was a great trip.

I'm still not convinced about the "grounding effects" though. Sounds more psychological than factual to me. I'm guessing a 1500lb piano is already pretty well grounded, and most of the sound projection is via the soundboard. Yes/no? [/b]
----------
Just going by what the "Kawai MPA Pros" told me. I don't have any proof one way or the other. The last time I observed an MPA doing his thing was several years ago in Atlanta while he was prepping an EX for a concert. Those amazing technicians seem to be able to hear a pin drop in the middle of a thunder storm or a hail storm. smile Anyway, I asked about the casters and he stated that the solid brass casters should be directly on the stage unhindered by caster cups or piano dollies, {piano trucks} or anything else for optimum sound/tone projection. That's pretty close to what Jurgen stated I think.

Cordially,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
#278516 01/29/09 12:34 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
[b]..... I've personally heard several Kawai's MPAs say the same thing that Jurgen just said regarding the "grounding effects." No rubber casters, no caster cups for stage and/or performing.
Best, Bear
...I'm still not convinced about the "grounding effects" though. Sounds more psychological than factual to me. I'm guessing a 1500lb piano is already pretty well grounded, and most of the sound projection is via the soundboard. Yes/no? [/b]
Pretty big piano, Frank, that is 1-1/2 times the weight of an S&S D ! wink

Yes, most of the sound projecton is via the soundboard. Which means there is a residual amount that stems from elsewhere.

I am not sure about scientific studies to "prove" this, but there is plenty of "soft" evidence.

For one thing, it is well known that the stage can act as a type of secondary sounding board, enhancing the piano sound and projection in a hall.

A good friend of mine is a master piano technician in a major cultural center in Germany, where he does a lot of piano work for the German Broadcasting Corporation. They do a lot of concerts featuring the highest caliber of international pianists, recording for radio and Deutsche Gramaphone, as well as live radio concert broadcasts. All of the pianos there, including the 12 Hamburg Ds, have these casters. He said when North American pianists come, they are thrilled to play on these pianos. There is no bouncing or springiness that you have when plaing pianos mounted on a truck or spider dolly.

JG
#278517 01/29/09 01:17 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Insitutional piano dollies have lots of rubber surface area on the ground. I can't imagine a rubberized caster not disintegrating after a few rolls around the stage.

An institutional studio upright (the oak ones for example) have double rubber wheels all around (4) and the pianos probably don't weigh more than 400 or 500 lbs.

Imagine rubber double wheels on a grand and you only get three sets (3 points of contact instead of 4 on a vertical) and as much as four times the weight.

It would be like putting tricycle tires on a Hummer.

And what Supply said.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
#278518 01/29/09 01:32 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for sharing what you can't imagine... wink

Fact is, this rubberized coating is a high tech PUR substance that is baked onto the brass wheels for several hours at high temperature (vulcanized). This material has years of proven track record, among other places is said institution, rolling on and off stages, into elevators and down the halls of the piano vaults in the basement of the broadcasting station.

JG
#278519 01/29/09 01:43 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Supply: I wasn't disputing your vulcanized rubber-coated brass wheel at all. If you took it that way I didn't mean it. I was referring to all-rubber wheels like you find in institutional uprights or on cheap appliance dollies (as opposed to the better quality rubber and bearings on piano dollies).

Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
#278520 01/29/09 10:46 AM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Supply:
[b]
[b]..... I've personally heard several Kawai's MPAs say the same thing that Jurgen just said regarding the "grounding effects." No rubber casters, no caster cups for stage and/or performing.
Best, Bear
...I'm still not convinced about the "grounding effects" though. Sounds more psychological than factual to me. I'm guessing a 1500lb piano is already pretty well grounded, and most of the sound projection is via the soundboard. Yes/no? [/b]
Pretty big piano, Frank, that is 1-1/2 times the weight of an S&S D ! wink

Yes, most of the sound projecton is via the soundboard. Which means there is a residual amount that stems from elsewhere.

I am not sure about scientific studies to "prove" this, but there is plenty of "soft" evidence.

For one thing, it is well known that the stage can act as a type of secondary sounding board, enhancing the piano sound and projection in a hall.

A good friend of mine is a master piano technician in a major cultural center in Germany, where he does a lot of piano work for the German Broadcasting Corporation. They do a lot of concerts featuring the highest caliber of international pianists, recording for radio and Deutsche Gramaphone, as well as live radio concert broadcasts. All of the pianos there, including the 12 Hamburg Ds, have these casters. He said when North American pianists come, they are thrilled to play on these pianos. There is no bouncing or springiness that you have when plaing pianos mounted on a truck or spider dolly. [/b]
Ah, but the Mason & Hamlin CC is 1400lbs (according to the 12th edition of the Pierce Piano Atlas), so with the bench ... :-)

I would agree a piano firmly planted on the floor would be more stable than one on a truck or spider dolly.
My skepticism is with rubber versus brass casters.

Of course at my playing skill level, it could be mounted on silly putty and not make a difference.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

#278521 01/29/09 11:43 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just for fun, a dealer once demonstrated to me the quality of Bosendorfer casters. He had an Imperial on the floor of his workshop, which had a glass-smooth concrete floor.

He gave the Imperial a slight nudge and off it went like a curling stone on ice. It just moved along at a snails pace. I figured it was getting its momentum from the movement of the planet, like a pendulum. It might have moved all the way to the wall had we not both stood in front of it and stopped it.

That was the day I realized that casters lock for a reason. laugh

Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission