2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I recently got a new upright and traded in a 1920s Milton upright (about 53" high) for it. I asked for $200 for the Milton, and the dealer agreed, and his movers carted the Milton away after bringing the new upright (a 48" Hailun) into the house. The Milton, by the way, looked very crusty - downright ugly on the outside - but it could hold a tune - in fact, we had just tuned it before we bought the new piano. We had used it for about five years and it sounded good enough for our children to practice on; they had started taking lessons shortly before we got the Milton. (They started on a Clavinova, which is an electric Yamaha.)

Here's my question: What do dealers do with these old pianos? I'm guessing the dealer I bought from agreed to give me $200 for the Milton, not because he wanted it, but because that was the only bargaining I did - otherwise I paid his asking price (which was a very attractive price). I sure did not see any really old pianos like the Milton in his showroom, nor could I imagine anyone paying more than a few hundred - maybe $600 max - for it, unless it was made much more attractive cosmetically. (My sister-in-law originally got the Milton from a piano tuner/mover for $100 - and he told her not to put any money into it beyond tuning.)

I'm guessing the dealer could give it to a charitable organization for a tax write-off. Or maybe he has a back room with really old stock in it for folks who want a very cheap starter piano. (He does have a large place with two floor above the main showroom floor.)

What do you dealers do in cases like this? Give the big, hulking thing to charity? Toss it in a landfill? Turn it into a condo for squirrels?

Brad

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Are you beginning to miss the Milton because
you now realize that the new one is not
much better? You should have stayed with
it. They don't make them like that anymore.

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
A dealer here runs a charity where old pianos are repaired a bit, then donated to needy kids. Many dealers have warehouses where old pianos sit till someone cleans them out. One dealer paid the garbage man to haul old uprights away, and the same dealer paid us to do a fairly good prep on used pianos and made $$$ selling them. That dealer paid finders fees for used pianos at the time - he sold so many of them. (he sold many new pianos as well)(back in the old days......)

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Gyro:
Are you beginning to miss the Milton because
you now realize that the new one is not
much better? You should have stayed with
it. They don't make them like that anymore.
That's Gyro—always a ray of sunshine (but the bizarro kind that darkens the spirit and doesn't quite manage to illuminate the topic at hand)!

Steven

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
For the most part, old uprights like this are taken to the landfill. They cannot be given away to charities, as the charities are wise to them now and wont take them for free. You got an excellent trade. Not only $200, but you didn't have to pay the price of moving it to the landfill and disposing of it, both of which cost money.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Watch at your own risk:

Where do old pianos go?

It isn't very pretty.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I thought that at least some of them could be used for piano tech/tuner teaching and practicing vehicles. The OP said that his oldie holds a tune. Could be useful for tuning practice, no? Same for regulation practice, restringing practice, refinishing practice, rebuilding in general, no?

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
OP Offline
Rich - that video is hilarious. I kinda thought that might be the fate of old pianos.

Gyro - I thought the old Milton sounded OK - but the new Hailun has a"singing" quality that I really like - so no, I am not missing the Milton.

Doremi - that's a great idea, to use an old piano that holds tune as a training piano for novice tuners. But my dealer is a high volume, low margin kind of dealer who does probably does not have apprentice technicians training there.

Keith - that's what I thought too, that I was lucky he took it away, let alone gave me some cash for it. (We sent the cash to my sister-in-law.) He suggested he might be able to sell it, but not with conviction - I think he did not want to risk that I or my wife might be nutcases who would nix a deal if we thought some quasi-family heirloom was heading for the dump.

Bob - I don't see this dealer expending a lot of effort on behalf of needy kids. That's not meant as a knock on him - but he definitely seems like a profit-seeking businessman first, and piano lover/humanitarian a distant second.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Another place where old pianos go.

Where bad pianos go.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I would hope that good parts of old cases would get salvaged.

I'm still looking for a nice top for a wide shelf, curved leg supports for the same and a fancy front just because I love carvings and fretwork.

And I really really want a rosewood music stand to actually use! (to match my rosewood fallboard)

Hint, hint!!!

laugh laugh laugh

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Its almost like the "Brave Little Toaster", but with no happy ending......oh, the humanity....

1976 Kawai KG-2C
1949 B. Shoninger Spinet
2003 Casio Privia PX100
B
BDB Offline
B
I would think that a shop that makes custom furniture might like tops, top boards, bottom boards, etc. That is usually good wood in them. Sometimes the core is chestnut, a wood that no longer grows commercially, due to the blight.

Semipro Tech
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Maybe Norm Abrams can make a coffee table out of it laugh laugh

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
That guy can build anything. eek

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Horowitzian, do you feel stupid all the
time, or just when you try to express yourself?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Ahhhh, unintentional irony... 3hearts

So, Gierow. Do you feel
stupid all the time? Or is it only
when you make pathetically
puerile attempts to express
yourself in stilted copied-and-pasted
English all the while eschewing
word wrap? laugh laugh

OP Offline
By the way, I mentioned that I got a really good price (based on Larry Fine's latest figures) for the new Hailun, plus the extra $200 for the Milton. The dealer had everything in his store marked "liquidation price" although he did not seem to be going out of business. (His dad started the business in the 1940s.) So I think the "liquidation prices" may have indicated a cash-flow issue - that the dealer needed to raise some cash in a hurry. In this economy, I bet a lot of dealers are seeing their sales go down, since pianos are not exactly necessities. One reason I wanted to make a 3k+ purchase in early January is I felt it was one way I could do my (tiny) part to stimulate our faltering economy.

Originally posted by Rich Galassini:
Watch at your own risk:

Where do old pianos go?

It isn't very pretty.
Rich:

Don't you guys have the top floor of your factory building filled with old tradeins? I thought I remember seeing them. Maybe you cleaned house...

F
F
Sometimes the pianos take revenge .

Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission